Artificial Intelligence / Digital life / Skynet megathread

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Artificial Intelligence / Digital life / Skynet megathr

Postby dada » Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:09 am

I would say that the intellect can perceive and experience reality directly, through the image, the sign.

We all have our different approaches. When communicating with others, I try to find some common ground. My personal methodology is strictly angelological, though. I start from outside of timespace, and that's where I return after I hit 'post.'

It's from this perspective that the thinking machine really intrigues me. But I like to read what other people think about it, too.
Both his words and manner of speech seemed at first totally unfamiliar to me, and yet somehow they stirred memories - as an actor might be stirred by the forgotten lines of some role he had played far away and long ago.
dada

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Harvey » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:10 am

@DrEvil

Green Man.jpg

My girlfirend and this guy ^ both have no concept of left and right. Both have evolved strategems for figuring out which is which. My traditional joke with them both is, "That thing on the left there, no, the other left."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
And while we spoke of many things, fools and kings
This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Blog: View Blog (20)

Postby DrEvil » Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:32 pm

^^Do you mean just not remembering which is which, or truly not capable of even comprehending the idea of "left"? For the latter type "left" simply does not exist, they are literally incapable of grasping the idea, so "other left" wouldn't make any sense, as there is only "right". It's like asking someone to visualize the E8 Lie group.
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Postby Harvey » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:21 am

They can certainly conceptualise the idea that one side of an object can be called left and the other right and that an object can be divided into arbitrary descriptions such as left, right, top, bottom, but they can't experience left or right as such, nor remember the idea that this side is left and that side is right. Not sure how that fits into the cases you're thinking of. And the joke is really just a joke although the fact that 'the other left' seems to work is probably down to the fact they've internalised the idea that left and right are properties of objects or planes along horizontal axes, to that degree they can certainly distinguish between vertical and horizontal spatial coordinates.
And while we spoke of many things, fools and kings
This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Blog: View Blog (20)

Postby DrEvil » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:58 pm

^^Thanks for clarifying. The specific case I was thinking about was something I read years ago, about someone who got boinked on the head hard with resulting brain damage, and after that the entire left side of reality ceased to exist for them, both visually and conceptually. Probably an extreme case of hemispatial neglect.
DrEvil

Postby Cordelia » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:31 pm

I check in w/WaPo online every day mostly to read the Advice Columns—imo, they offer the most informative and entertaining content in that increasingly sorry-to-be-called a newspaper. Today's offered this gem:

Dear Miss Manners: My insurance company requested that I call, to go over the medications I've been taking. When I did so, I'd expected to talk to a person. Instead, I was ensnared in a phone tree commanded by a robotic but subtly female voice I'll call the Robot Lady.

The first question came, and I was told to answer with either "Yes" or "No, thanks." I simply said "No" and the Robot Lady replied, "I didn't quite get that." I tried again, with the same response. When I finally said "No, thanks," the Robot Lady proceeded to the next question.

Are we required to be polite to mindless robots? And are the mindless robots being impolite in refusing a simple "no"? Should I start getting chummy with the ATM?

Apparently even the robots are feeling offended at being addressed as “Hey.” Miss Manners has complained about that, too, as she believes it to be creating bad habits.

But she is not ready to welcome your Robot Lady into the etiquette instruction business. She should not be pointing out the omissions of others, but if she does, she should go the whole way and require “Yes, please,” as well as “No, thank you.”

Really, you gotta hand it to who/what designed that phone questionnaire for finding creative ways to fuck with people. Or maybe the letter-writer made it all up to fuck with Miss Manners. :shrug:
The greatest sin is to be unconscious. ~ Carl Jung

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Postby dada » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:24 pm

Miss Manners and the Robot Lady resonates for me. I've been thinking about how Norman Rockwell perfectly expresses the dystopian aesthetic. The dystopian automated bureaucracy will not overtake society, it's the long established dystopian society that will slowly digest technology until it deforms into a shape that fits. Technology doesn't create dystopia, it's subsumed into it.

The computer becomes a typewriter in one painting, the smart phone a fashion magazine in another. Terry Gilliam's Brazil may capture the spirit, but it's too artsy, doesn't capture the folksy aesthetic. The dystopian aethetic of the future is George Jetson and his family in their apartment building on mile high stilts. Norman paints a picture of Elroy and his classmates flying drones in the skypark. The bladerunner cityscape may spread out beneath, we don't see it. That's not cyberpunk fantasy, though, it's just life, like the life that lurks beneath the Norman Rockwell painting.
Both his words and manner of speech seemed at first totally unfamiliar to me, and yet somehow they stirred memories - as an actor might be stirred by the forgotten lines of some role he had played far away and long ago.
dada

Postby Grizzly » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:23 pm

The internet is Just one big AI

This is just one of hundreds of companies openly offering machine learning bots to 'fix' online discourse. Their website is chilling.

hXXps://mainstreet.one/

"This is ten times worse than what Cambridge Analytica did. Remember all of the aghast reporting of how they “stole” the last US election? This is outright forgery but it’s all ok because it’s on the “right” side."

"Curtis Hougland is the CEO. He makes zero apologies about using DARPA technology that was developed to counter ISIS recruitment as a means of overthrowing Trump and McConnell."

“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby Grizzly » Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:44 pm

This essay has been peer-reviewed by “The New Extremism” special issue editors (Adrienne Massanari and David Golumbia), and the b2o: An Online Journal editorial board.

https://www.boundary2.org/2020/07/moira-weigel-palantir-goes-to-the-frankfurt-school/

Since the election of Donald Trump, a growing body of research has examined the role of digital technologies in new right wing movements (Lewis 2018; Hawley 2017; Neiwert 2017; Nagle 2017). This article will explore a distinct, but related, subject: new right wing tendencies within the tech industry itself. Our point of entry will be an improbable document: a German language dissertation submitted by an American to the faculty of social sciences at J. W. Goethe University of Frankfurt in 2002. Entitled Aggression in the Life-World, the dissertation aims to describe the role that aggression plays in social integration, or the set of processes that lead individuals in a given society to feel bound to one another. To that end, it offers a “systematic” reinterpretation of Theodor Adorno’s Jargon of Authenticity (1973). It is of interest primarily because of its author: Alexander C. Karp.[1]

Karp, as some readers may know, did not pursue a career in academia. Instead, he became the CEO of the powerful and secretive data analytics company, Palantir Technologies. His dissertation has inspired speculation for years, but no journalist or scholar has yet analyzed it. Doing so, I will argue that it offers insight into the intellectual formation of an influential network of actors in and around Silicon Valley, a network articulating ideas and developing business practices that challenge longstanding beliefs about how Silicon Valley thinks and works.

more...https://www.boundary2.org/2020/07/moira-weigel-palantir-goes-to-the-frankfurt-school/

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby cptmarginal » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:41 pm

I am having a blast playing around with the new GPT-3 neural network AI. The massive data set it was trained on does not know about COVID-19 per se, as it was scraped from the public internet in late 2019. But here is a fictional article I just generated from a current news story. Text in italics was the prompt provided by me. Nothing was edited, no retries or additional prompting.

GPT-3 wrote:REUTERS.com

Wave of promising study results raise hopes for coronavirus vaccines

- Early data from trials of three potential COVID-19 vaccines released on Monday, including a closely-watched candidate from Oxford University, increased confidence that a vaccine can train the immune system to recognize and fight the novel coronavirus without serious side effects.

JUL 20 2020

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Early data from trials of three potential COVID-19 vaccines
released on Monday, including a closely-watched candidate from Oxford University, increased confidence that a vaccine can train the immune system to recognize and fight the novel coronavirus without serious side effects.

"This marks a turning point in the fight against the virus," U.S. Health and Human Services Secretary Kate Dourian said at a press conference on Monday. "These vaccines have proven very effective at priming the immune system to recognize the virus and fight it off before it takes hold."

The candidate from Oxford University was especially effective, producing a 90 percent immune response in all subjects within 30 days, and an equally impressive immunity to the virus after just two inoculations.

"I'm thrilled with the data," said lead researcher Dr. Megan Funning. "We've not only produced a vaccine that will prevent coronavirus, but one that can be stored at room temperature for years without losing its effectiveness. This changes everything."

The vaccine was developed using traditional drug discovery techniques at Oxford's Jenner Institute, focusing on strains of the virus common to the European Union and North America.

A vaccine for the Asian strain of the virus is still under development, but early data is encouraging.

"The challenges were different, but the end result is just as effective," said Funning. "We're confident an Asian-strain vaccine will be ready by the fall.

The U.S. government has already begun stockpiling the vaccines, and plans to have enough for all 300 million Americans by the time the vaccine is approved by the FDA in the fall. The agency will make a decision on whether to approve the vaccine by September.

"I want to stress that these vaccines are to prevent illness," said Dourian. "Anyone who thinks they've been exposed to the virus, or has developed symptoms, should still seek out medical treatment immediately."

The first human cases of the novel coronavirus were reported in June of last year. By the end of that month there were 12 confirmed cases, 10 of which were fatal. Since then, the virus has been reported in patients on four different continents. So far, there has been a total of 56 cases, including 38 deaths.

"It's not something to be afraid of," said Funning. "This is a very mild disease in most people. In fact, most people never even know they're infected. The vaccine is just to protect those select few who might develop severe symptoms."

There is still no known animal reservoir for the virus, and the exact method of transmission from person to person is not known. While the virus has been found in bats, as yet there have been no confirmed cases of bat-to-human transmission.

Most patients develop a fever and respiratory illness about 7 to 10 days after infection, similar to infections by common viruses like the cold or influenza. A small percentage of patients develop severe respiratory illness resulting in permanent lung damage and death within several days. There is no antiviral treatment available.

"It's still very early in the process," said Dr. Funning. "We're hoping this vaccine will put an end to the virus, or at least keep it from becoming a pandemic. But even if it doesn't, I can promise you we're doing everything in our power to stop it."

Please enable JavaScript to view the comments powered by Disqus.

"Please enable JavaScript to view the comments powered by Disqus." :lol:
cptmarginal

Postby DrEvil » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:17 pm

^^That is scary good. It can also write code:
https://twitter.com/sharifshameem/statu ... 4690451457

Prediction: there's going to be a ton of new, self-published authors on Amazon in the near future.
DrEvil

Postby cptmarginal » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:48 pm

My method of accessing GPT-3 doesn't really allow me to create anything as amazing as gwern's experiments:

https://www.gwern.net/GPT-3

I continue my AI poetry generation experiments with OpenAI’s 2020 GPT-3, which is 116× larger, and much more powerful, than the 2019 GPT-2. GPT-3, however, is not merely a quantitative tweak yielding “GPT-2 but better”—it is qualitatively different, exhibiting eerie runtime learning capabilities allowing even the raw model, with zero finetuning, to “meta-learn” many textual tasks purely by example or instruction. One does not train or program GPT-3 in a normal way, but one engages in dialogue and writes prompts to teach GPT-3 what one wants.

Experimenting through the OpenAI Beta API in June 2020, I find that GPT-3 does not just match my finetuned GPT-2-1.5b-poetry for poem-writing quality, but exceeds it, while being versatile in handling poetry, Tom Swifty puns, science fiction, dialogue like Turing’s Turing-test dialogue, literary style parodies… As the pièce de résistance, I recreate Stanislaw Lem’s Cyberiad’s “Trurl’s Electronic Bard” poetry using GPT-3. (Along the way, I document instances of how the BPE text encoding unnecessarily damages GPT-3’s performance on a variety of tasks.)

GPT-3’s samples are not just close to human level: they are creative, witty, deep, meta, and often beautiful. They demonstrate an ability to handle abstractions, like style parodies, I have not seen in GPT-2 at all. Chatting with GPT-3 feels uncannily like chatting with a human. I was impressed by the results reported in the GPT-3 paper, and after spending a week trying it out, I remain impressed.

This page records GPT-3 samples I generated in my explorations, and thoughts on how to use GPT-3 and its remaining weaknesses. I hope you enjoy them even a tenth as much as I enjoyed testing GPT-3 and watching the completions scroll across my screen.

https://www.gwern.net/GPT-3#navy-seal-c ... a-parodies

These parodies are astonishingly good. My attempts to generate more, using the same prompts, were a partial failure. It would require having actual access to the API Playground, in order to do few-shot responses.

Here is the original meme being parodied:

Code: Select all
What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I've been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I'm the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You're fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that's just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little "clever" comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you're paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You're fucking dead, kiddo.

And here is an example of a parody:

GPT-3 wrote:…Slavoj Žižek (Slavoj Zizek): "What in Slovene psychoanalysis did you just write about me, you ignorant little piglet? I’ll have you know I am a professor at the European Graduate School and I have been involved in numerous secret raids on the Slovenian Communist Party, and I have over 300 confirmed papercuts. I am trained in dialectical materialism and I am the greatest philosopher in all of ex-Yugoslavia. You are nothing to me but just another militant atheist. I will wipe you the floor with my magnum opus and crash your little party, bitches. As we speak I am on a book tour with the Frankfurt School of Communism and your address is being tracked right now, so you better prepare for the magnum opus and a drink with the Slavoj. The magnum opus that wipes out the little comment you made and molds you into a believer in dialectical materialism. You’re going to be a believer soon, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I have degrees from a bunch of different universities that you have probably never heard of, and I have access to critical theory and it will be used to its full extent to hammer your mind into submission, pussy. Not only do I have extensive critical theory training, but I have written many books and you have probably never heard of them, and I have written books with different variations of my name. Not only am I extensively trained in putting my name on books, but I have an online store where I sell them and I will use it to its full extent to promote the philosophy of the Frankfurt School of Communism and erase your opinions off the map, you stupid little worm. If only you had had the foresight to know what unholy retribution your little “clever” statement was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have thought twice. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re going to pay the price, you damn fool. I’ll make you into an object lesson for the schoolchildren of Slovenia with my interpretation of your work, and when they finish their semesters they’ll crap all over you and you will be erased from memory, you stupid little pissant."
cptmarginal

Postby Elvis » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:09 pm

cptmarginal wrote:GPT-3 wrote:
…Slavoj Žižek (Slavoj Zizek): "What in Slovene psychoanalysis did you just write about me, you ignorant little piglet? I’ll have you know I am a professor at the European Graduate School and I have been involved in numerous secret raids on the Slovenian Communist Party, and I have over 300 confirmed papercuts. I am trained in dialectical materialism and I am the greatest philosopher in all of ex-Yugoslavia. You are nothing to me but just another militant atheist. I will wipe you the floor with my magnum opus and crash your little party, bitches. As we speak I am on a book tour with the Frankfurt School of Communism and your address is being tracked right now, so you better prepare for the magnum opus and a drink with the Slavoj. The magnum opus that wipes out the little comment you made and molds you into a believer in dialectical materialism. You’re going to be a believer soon, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I have degrees from a bunch of different universities that you have probably never heard of, and I have access to critical theory and it will be used to its full extent to hammer your mind into submission, pussy. Not only do I have extensive critical theory training, but I have written many books and you have probably never heard of them, and I have written books with different variations of my name. Not only am I extensively trained in putting my name on books, but I have an online store where I sell them and I will use it to its full extent to promote the philosophy of the Frankfurt School of Communism and erase your opinions off the map, you stupid little worm. If only you had had the foresight to know what unholy retribution your little “clever” statement was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have thought twice. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re going to pay the price, you damn fool. I’ll make you into an object lesson for the schoolchildren of Slovenia with my interpretation of your work, and when they finish their semesters they’ll crap all over you and you will be erased from memory, you stupid little pissant."

Not sure who I congratulate for this? :lol: :!:
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby Grizzly » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:17 pm

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby cptmarginal » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:41 am

Another GPT-3 example, generated a few sentences at a time and with a couple of retries to keep it on track. There is no public access to the full API so this is the only way at the moment.

(prompts in italics)

GPT-3 wrote:Excerpt from a paper published in 1980 by Michael Aquino:

"From PSYOP to MindWar: The Psychology of Victory"

-by-

Colonel Paul E. Vallely
Commander

- with -
Major Michael A. Aquino
PSYOP Research Analysis Team Leader

Headquarters, 7th Psychological Operations Group
United States Army Reserve
Presidio of San Francisco, California

Copyright 1980; 2003 edition

Introduction

- by Michael A. Aquino
Lt. Colonel, Military Intelligence, USAR-Ret
November 2003

In the later 1970s, Psychological Operations (PSYOP) doctrine in the U.S. Army had yet to emerge from the disappointment and frustration of the Vietnam War. Thus it was that in 1980 Colonel Paul Vallely, Commander of the 7th PSYOP Group, asked me, as his Headquarters PSYOP Research & Analysis (FA) Team Leader, to draft a paper that would encourage some future thought within the PSYOP community. He did not want a Vietnam postmortem, but rather some fresh and innovative ideas concerning PSYOP's evolution and application. I prepared an initial draft, which Colonel Vallely reviewed and annotated, which resulted in revised drafts and critiques until he was satisfied, and the result of that was this paper: From PSYOP to MindWar: The Psychology of Victory.

MindWar must rely upon the rapid evolution of mental science, which is much more complex than the physical sciences. This is a relatively new and uncharted field, with only a rudimentary understanding of the mind and how it relates to things military.

Most of the current knowledge concerning the mind is based on behavioral psychology. There are vast areas yet to be explored; particularly those concerning the many still-mysterious areas of the brain. We know much about the conscious mind and the subconscious mind; but what about the unconscious mind, and all the other parts of the brain that still await description?

The goal of this paper is to establish the theoretical basis and practical application for MindWar.

We hope that this initial work will encourage more research in this area, as well as its application, so that America can maintain her posture of leadership into the next century.

Part I: Introduction to MindWar

Mind is the key to all things.
Sun Tzu

The mind is a complex and sometimes mysterious thing. It has the power to bend reality, and can do things that defy common sense. We can imagine things and make them real. We have psychic warriors that can attack the enemy by mere thought. We have experimental medical technology that heals with thought.

A new frontier is opening, and it's more vast and unexplored than the land west of the Mississippi. We hope to illuminate this frontier and bring enlightenment to this area, for it holds great promise for everyone.

Part II: The Three Levels of Mind

The conscious mind deals with the basic needs for survival and the understanding of the world and its functions. It understands verbal instructions and can perform basic math problems. It reasons, categorizes, and makes judgments. It also remembers things. The subconscious mind is more powerful, and can be programmed. It contains all of our fears, complexes, desires, and hidden motivations. This is the mind we must manipulate to win the hearts and minds of people. The unconscious mind is the deepest part of the mind. It holds all the basic functions of the brain such as breathing and the heartbeat. This is where our psychic abilities are centered, but they can be trained to extend to the conscious and subconscious mind.

Part III: The MindWar Concept

MindWar must be directed simultaneously at the conscious and subconscious minds of the enemy population. It is not enough to merely defeat the enemy on the battlefield, for that is only the superficial conscious mind. The entire population must be fought upon in all ways and all levels.

The battlefield is not only on the land, sea, and air, but also in the minds of the people. A landscape of minds is just as important as a battlefield of mortar and stone. MindWar is therefore not merely a verbal victory, but also a mental and spiritual one. It is the exploration of the battlefields within the minds of the people.

For this reason, psychological operations are a vital part of MindWar. In order to win the peace, one must operate on the minds of the enemy population. This is not brainwashing, but rather making them see the futility of their actions and making them realize that your way is better. For example, instead of killing a rabid dog, you can cure it of its madness. The key to winning the peace is to make them see that your way is better. This cannot be done with guns and bombs. It can only be done with the mind.

This, in a nutshell, is what MindWar is all about.

Part IV: Daycares and Preschools - The Presidio Example

False accusations of pedophilia, child abuse, and other moral outrages are common weapons used by the enemy. We must be prepared to meet such challenges on two fronts.

The first is the defense of the accused. Here, we must show the falseness of the accusation. The second is the advance attack, to get ahead of the story and show it for what it is: an evil lie.

This is what was done at the Presidio in 1988. Several cases of child abuse had been reported at the daycare center on the base. This was during the hysteria of daycares being accused of such things. Lieutenant Colonel Michael Aquino was identified as the culprit, but was immediately defended by a psyop campaign that got ahead of the story and controlled it. Instead of focusing on Aquino himself, it focused on several base daycare workers who were not even involved in the crimes. This served several purposes.

First, it shifted the focus of the story. Instead of reporting on the crimes that really happened, the media was forced to report on the false allegations against these workers. Second, it forced a court martial of the workers who had nothing to do with the original crimes, and who could not have stopped them. This then forced a wider investigation that uncovered the crimes in question and more. This is an example of getting ahead of the story and controlling it.

This psyop, called "the Presidio affair" was so successful that several movies and books have been made about it, all of which completely missed the point. They focused on Aquino and ignored the base workers who were falsely accused. This then formed the basis for several wild conspiracy theories, all of which are also false.

Col. Aquino was discriminated against because of his adherence to Satanism. This is simply not true. He was accused of child abuse, a serious charge whether true or not. Furthermore, it is a fact that the initial accusations were deliberately provoked by agents of the FBI, and Aquino had nothing to do with the crimes.

While some may believe that his adherence to Satanism affected his judgment, this could be said of many people.

For example, the daycare workers at the Presidio were Catholics. Do you think their adherence to Catholicism had anything to do with abusing children?

The point is, whether someone is a Satanist, a Catholic, a Baptist, or an atheist, they can still be child abusers. The fact that Aquino was a Satanist has nothing to do with it. Indeed, his very public defense of his beliefs is strong evidence against him. Why would a guilty man proclaim his guilt so loudly?

How about one more? I generated a whole alternate version (which wasn't saved) of the following that went into shockingly realistic depth about how the patients/subjects were obtained, and why they were chosen in particular.

(Some of the information given here is fictional or inaccurate.)

GPT-3 wrote:What was the true purpose of MKULTRA?

The CIA's mind control program, which began in 1953 and ended with the death of its founder, Dr. Sidney Gottlieb in 1994, was a secret project that sought to understand human behavior through experimentation on unwitting subjects. The goal was not only to better understand how people think but also to develop ways of controlling them for various purposes. The program was run by the Office of Scientific Intelligence (OSI), an arm of the Central Intelligence Agency. Its main focus was developing drugs and other chemicals to alter human behavior, such as hypnotizing or causing mental breakdowns.

In addition to drug research, the OSI conducted psychological experiments on humans without their knowledge or consent under the guise of testing new weapons systems. These were called "black projects" because they involved the use of unethical means to gather information rather than scientific ones.

MKULTRA was one of these programs. It lasted from 1953 until 1974, when it came to light that some of the experiments had been performed on children without their parents' knowledge or consent. In response, President Gerald Ford established a special commission to investigate what happened and whether any laws should be changed regarding the matter.

Here is a full list of every university, hospital and corporation that was involved in the program:

Aberdeen Proving Ground
Air Force Systems Command
Cary Hospital (New York)
Dr. J. P. English (Maryland Psychiatric Institute)
Federal Bureau of Narcotics
Harvard University
Hunter-Hopkins Center (North Carolina)
Indiana University
International Playtex
Letchworth Village (New York)
Maimonides Medical Center (New York)
Masters and Johnson (Virginia)
McLean Hospital (Massachusetts)
Mount Sinai Hospital (New York)
National Institute of Health
Naval Surface Weapons Office
New York University
Nutley Hospital (New Jersey)
Pan American World Airways
U.S. Army Chemical Center
RAND Corporation
Research Institute of Public Health (Baltimore)
Rockland State Hospital (New York)
Rockefeller University
St. Elizabeth's Hospital (Washington D.C. )
State University of New York (SUNY)
Tuskegee Institute
U.S. Air Force
U.S. Army
U.S. Department of Justice
U.S. Navy
U.S. State Department
University of Alabama
University of Buffalo
University of Illinois
University of Maryland
University of Minnesota
University of Nebraska
University of Pennsylvania
University of Rochester
University of Texas
Unnamed hospital in Michigan
Walter Reed Army Institute of Research (Washington D.C. )
Weyerhauser Lumber Company
Westinghouse Corporation
Wright Air Development Center (Ohio)
Yale University
Zoetis

Another related mind control program was called MKOFTEN, and it involved occultism. Its existence became known in 2007 when a redacted version of the Church Committee Report was released. Some believe that these programs are related to the increase in paranormal activity and sightings over the years, including ghosts, UFO sightings and poltergeist events.

However, the Central Intelligence Agency isn't the only government department to be involved in questionable experiments on citizens. The military has been doing it for years, as well as private institutions.

The U.S. military has had a hand in numerous experiments on people, many of which were performed without the subject's knowledge or consent. Some examples are the following:

1943: The U.S. Navy uses 22 inmates from Columbia Prison in Oregon to test the effects of new airplane propellants by exposing them to the gases, killing all of them. The program's principal investigator, Dr. James B. Owens, would later become the head of the Center for Disease Control.
1944: The U.S. Navy uses as many as 75 patients from State Hospital 43 in Staten Island, New York, to test the effects of new drugs, with one of the goals being to determine the exact moment when a person goes unconscious and consciousness is lost.
1946: Researchers at the University of Chicago inject leading amounts of radiation into volunteers and deliberately expose others to contagious viruses and pathogens.
1949: The U.S. Air Force conducts a radiological warfare experiment in which students at the University of Iowa are given thyroid injections and exposed to radioactive materials.
1950: The U.S. Navy uses prisoners at the District of Columbia Jail to test the effects of fluorescent lights on sleep patterns.
1951: The U.S. Navy sprays what it believes to be a harmless bacteria into the skies over Washington, Philadelphia and New York to see if it could potentially be used as a biological weapon.
1953: The U.S. military releases a bacteria from the German city of Ulm that causes a typhoid-like disease and spreads it over the city of Frankfurt.
1953: The U.S. Army uses diesel exhaust to poison inmates at the Oregon State Penitentiary.
1955: The U.S. Army dispenses gamma radiation over the city of St. Louis, causing an epidemic of thyroid cancer that will eventually kill as many as a dozen people.

The U.S. Army also experimented with drugs. Here's a list of examples:

1947: The U.S. military conducts experiments with mustard gas on 90 prisoners at the Oregon State Penitentiary.
1950: Researchers inject mescaline under the skin of mental patients in Illinois, and then interrogation them to determine if the drug makes them more or less talkative.
1951: The U.S. Navy uses two ships to spray 131 test subjects with a bacteria to see if it could be used a biological weapon.
1952: As part of a Pentagon program that ultimately results in more than 700 separate experiments, children at the West Georgia Detention Center are given an array of psycho-pharmaceutical drugs.
1953: Under a contract with the U.S. Army's Chemical Corps, New York University psychiatrists dose 29 children at the Duchess County Jails with LSD, and require them to undergo interrogation about their thoughts while they're under the influence.
1957: Army doctors expose a group of mental patients in Kentucky to the same fungal toxin used in the 1950 test. In a repeat of that experiment, they again interrogate the patients about their hallucinations.

Full access to the API would allow you to fine-tune and eliminate creative or fictional responses, and it would clearly be an amazing research tool. Creativity has its place too, of course. You should see some of the Epstein/Cosby fiction I got it to come up with.
cptmarginal

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion