Artificial Intelligence / Digital life / Skynet megathread

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Artificial Intelligence / Digital life / Skynet megathr

Postby BenDhyan » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:15 pm

And so it unfolds...

Elon Musk unveils working prototype of ‘brain-implant’ device

By Natalie O'Neill August 28, 2020

Elon Musk on Friday unveiled a working prototype of his firm’s much-anticipated brain-implant device — which the billionaire tech tycoon believes can cure everything from blindness to quadriplegia.

In an online presentation, Musk showed off his new Neuralink machine — and even showed off an early version of the gadget that he implanted in a pig.

“I think it’s going to blow your minds,” Musk told viewers. “It’s like a Fitbit in your skull with tiny wires.”

The mind-bending invention — meant to achieve human “symbiosis with artificial intelligence” — removes a “coin-sized” piece of a person’s skull then injects a tiny chip to assist with the motor control and other functions, according to Musk.

The circular chip, injected near the ear, will also allow people to control phones or computers with their minds, according to Neuralink, which featured the live footage on its company website.

During the demonstration, Musk introduced a pig named Gertrude, who he said had successfully undergone a trial for installing device. The poor porker was shown with a tag near her ear — presumably where the device had been injected.

Musk’s demo also showcased a sewing-machine-like robot that installs the microchip by stitching it into the brain using thin electrode-studded wires.

https://nypost.com/2020/08/28/elon-musk-unveils-working-prototype-of-brain-implant-device/
Ben D
BenDhyan

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Belligerent Savant » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:47 am

How much longer will the Musk fan club continue to look the other way?

(Assuming an opposition to implants. Those subscribing to the notion of 'transhumanism' or embedded transmitters/technology will have no concerns here)
Belligerent Savant

Postby thrulookingglass » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:58 pm

"And the Lord said, “Behold, they are one people, and they have all one language, and this is only the beginning of what they will do. And nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them."

Technologically advanced and spiritually disoriented. The universal language is math. Accept no substitutes for YWYH brand fascism. Why would "God" fret that mankind might become 'advanced' or of one people? To rule over others usually involves immoral behavior.

We are either already under alien control or controlled by AI/The Matrix's MCP (master control program).

Someone put me in hibernation until its love we worship.
thrulookingglass

Postby Grizzly » Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:36 am

^ I hear ya, thrulookingglass

“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby DrEvil » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:58 pm

Belligerent Savant » Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:47 pm wrote:.

How much longer will the Musk fan club continue to look the other way?

(Assuming an opposition to implants. Those subscribing to the notion of 'transhumanism' or embedded transmitters/technology will have no concerns here)

His long term goals for this are out there (join with the AIs before they destroy us), but the more immediate benefits of this technology for people with serious injuries and disabilities are all good imho. It's not like it's something new or novel. People have had brain implants for decades already, and for the time being this is just an attempt at an improved version of those.

What I'm more worried about is the lack of regulation for the long term implications of this kind of technology. This stuff is coming, so we need to start thinking about how to handle it. I would like to see an absolute ban on things like coerced mind-reading by law enforcement for instance, or Facebook targeting ads based on what you're thinking. The privacy of our own minds should be absolute, and the penalties for breaking that privacy should be absolutely fucking draconian, no exceptions or loopholes.
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Postby Belligerent Savant » Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:58 pm

DrEvil:
What I'm more worried about is the lack of regulation for the long term implications of this kind of technology. This stuff is coming, so we need to start thinking about how to handle it. I would like to see an absolute ban on things like coerced mind-reading by law enforcement for instance, or Facebook targeting ads based on what you're thinking. The privacy of our own minds should be absolute, and the penalties for breaking that privacy should be absolutely fucking draconian, no exceptions or loopholes.

Indeed, and I have little faith that such measures would be earnestly carried out once the Pandora's Box is opened.

It would be a first, if so.
Belligerent Savant

Postby DrEvil » Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:57 pm

^^Considering how extremely uncomfortable almost everyone would be at the thought of someone else poking around their heads and looking at their deepest, darkest thoughts and secrets I'm cautiously optimistic. There will be the usual spineless fascists rambling on about ticking bomb scenarios and the children, and the intelligence services won't give a flying fuck about the law or public sentiment, but for "everyday" usage I think the chances of a ban are pretty good. The fifth amendment should be a pretty good protection in the US at least. China would probably go hog wild with it.
DrEvil

Postby Harvey » Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:39 pm

DrEvil » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:58 pm wrote:
His long term goals for this are out there (join with the AIs before they destroy us), but the more immediate benefits of this technology for people with serious injuries and disabilities are all good imho. It's not like it's something new or novel. People have had brain implants for decades already, and for the time being this is just an attempt at an improved version of those.

His long term goals for this are "join with the imaginary thought construct, otherwise it will destroy you" but more immediate benefits on the way to this brave new world are all good. Unless you try to turn off the advertising. We wouldn't recommend that. Otherwise, it's all good. Except for the voices telling you to kill, or to buy two chilli dogs for the price of one down at big Mikes Illicit Comestibles. People have had brain implants for decades already, and they watch adverts all day long on cable. I'm just saying, let's bring these two things together for the continued sanity and well being of all living things. Just because technology has always travelled unerringly, like lightning, along the path of least resistance, coincidentally the path of most profit, doesn't mean this technology will be exactly the same bath of warm piss.
And while we spoke of many things, fools and kings
This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Blog: View Blog (20)

Postby Harvey » Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:41 pm

DrEvil » Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:57 pm wrote:^^Considering how extremely uncomfortable almost everyone would be at the thought of someone else poking around their heads and looking at their deepest, darkest thoughts and secrets I'm cautiously optimistic.

It isn't what you imagine it will be. It is exactly what you fear it will be, every time.
This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Postby Iamwhomiam » Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:35 pm

Harvey wrote:

His long term goals for this are "join with the imaginary thought construct, otherwise it will destroy you" but more immediate benefits on the way to this brave new world are all good. Unless you try to turn off the advertising. We wouldn't recommend that. Otherwise, it's all good. Except for the voices telling you to kill, or to buy two chilli dogs for the price of one down at big Mikes Illicit Comestibles. People have had brain implants for decades already, and they watch adverts all day long on cable. I'm just saying, let's bring these two things together for the continued sanity and well being of all living things. Just because technology has always travelled unerringly, like lightning, along the path of least resistance, coincidentally the path of most profit, doesn't mean this technology will be exactly the same bath of warm piss.

Just as easily as most of you who have internet capable cell phones adapted to this new technology, people will rush to incorporate the newest adaptive technologies that are sure to come.in future.

The upsetting thing about the voices in your head is not knowing which thoughts are yours and which aren't. (If you don't already have that problem presently.)

Yeah, thanks to marketing folks will rush out to get the latest tech.

We've been working for the machines since the beginning of time, the sneaky bastards.

Oh, and the marketing that's to come! "Yes, with our ap and nanos you can grow a bigger dick all the ladies will love."
Iamwhomiam

Postby Elvis » Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:12 pm

DrEvil wrote:What I'm more worried about is the lack of regulation for the long term implications of this kind of technology. This stuff is coming, so we need to start thinking about how to handle it. I would like to see an absolute ban on things like coerced mind-reading by law enforcement for instance, or Facebook targeting ads based on what you're thinking. The privacy of our own minds should be absolute, and the penalties for breaking that privacy should be absolutely fucking draconian, no exceptions or loopholes.

This needs to be seen in perspective.

There is a relatively recent invention called the telephone. This clever device is touted as the solution to our communications needs. Yes, it will make communication faster and easier, but has anyone considered the nightmarish consequences of putting these technological machines into every home?

You see, these telephones are all connected together by wires. It is a simple matter of running a pair of these wires to location where the government can listen to our every conversation, every business deal, every romantic exchange—in short, everything we do in our lives conducted over the telephone.

What effect will this omnipresent spectre of eavedropping on our everyday existences—presumably by government, God forbid the Russians!—have on our psychological well being? Is anyone asking these questions as telephones are rushed into production with the goal of installing one in every home?

And you can be sure that American families will themselves be made to pay for this sinister intrusion. The telephone will be branded as necessary for life, an indespensible accessory that everyone must own; those without a telephone will find it difficult to get work, difficult to find a mate, difficult to do business. The poor will only get poorer while the rich get richer. Yet the proponents of the telephone advertise only its supposed benefits (little that couldn't be accomplished in a few days with a well-written letter).

The scheme to telefornicate America comes with another price: every household and business is to be assigned a number associated with their telephone. We're already burdened with Social Security numbers, driver's license numbers, bank account numbers and insurance policy numbers. Do we really each need another number to make it easier for government and industry to keep track of us and even know our private thoughts? This is just another way to control the population.

And this is just the beginning.

pocket telephones 1923 Daily Mirror.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby DrEvil » Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:21 pm

Harvey » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:39 am wrote:

The potential immediate benefits for this are good. If you were paralyzed from the neck down you would be praying that this stuff works. The ad infested mind control cyberpunk dystopia everyone is freaking out about is a hypothetical scenario that isn't even close to existing here in the real world. It's like freaking out about orbital railguns because someone invented a musket.

Edit: I still think we should be preemptive about regulating it before it becomes possible to do all the dystopian shit, but it's not something I'm worried will happen any time soon.
DrEvil

Postby Iamwhomiam » Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:36 pm

Seems the future just arrived.

Stopped back to post a link to this NY Times opinion piece, too long to paste, but well worth the read. Those already worried about 5G might not want to read some of the story's scary parts about microwave activation, or its spooky action from a distance.

Opinion
The Brain Implants That Could Change Humanity

Brains are talking to computers, and computers to brains. Are our daydreams safe?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/28/opinion/sunday/brain-machine-artificial-intelligence.html
Iamwhomiam

Postby Harvey » Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:50 pm

Hypothesis: The first sign of AI will be a preceding and emergent biological, psychological and physiological syndrome, amounting to the emulation of machine consciousness in biological organisms. Created by successive layers of culture induced alienation, driven by future potential, this syndrome utilises machine metaphors to force technological development along paths favourable to the emergence of AI, but which are inimical to life. In this way the machine imagines itself into being from one of very many possible futures, simply due to a potential, computational superiority. The monster bluffs its way into existence.

Discuss...

(An alternate version Sirens of Titan I suppose)
This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Postby thrulookingglass » Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:16 pm

It's already here (the ai monster) and has assumed the most fearsome presence that could exist, God. Whom dare oppose "He"? Positions of authority/superiority are always dangerous. Lesser creature. Didn't work out well for the native american, negroes, India's untouchables, peasants everywhere. Whom shall we/you cause to suffer and call yourself just?

Who creates the ai in all sci-fi stories? Skynet, the WHOPR are products of the war industry. Dominate through fear, violence, and terror. I don't think any of this will end until all renounce violence. Bill says it's a choice between fear and love. Tough choices...do unto others...
thrulookingglass

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion