Artificial Intelligence / Digital life / Skynet megathread

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Artificial Intelligence / Digital life / Skynet megathr

Postby Harvey » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:33 pm

I think I'm suggesting that algortithms simulate all manner of Godly parlour tricks on the way to being, rather than as a manifestation of being, intelligent. I'm suggesting we'd know if it were otherwise, and therefore, now is the time to re-think.

This twitter thread by Cory Doctorow:

https://twitter.com/doctorow/status/1304161201597763584

One of the wisest things anyone's ever said to me about predictive policing tools - algorithms that purport predict where crime will occur - is that they don't predict crime, but they predict the police, who will obey the algorithm's directives (thanks, @vm_wylbur!) 1/

Normally that means that predictive policing tools send cops to poor and brown neighborhoods to stop-and-frisk and traffic-stop people, but sometimes it's a little more personal than that.2/

In Pasco County, Florida, Sheriff Chris Nocco's algorithm generated a list of 1,000 people "it considers likely to break the law, based on arrest histories, unspecified intelligence and arbitrary decisions by police analysts." https://projects.tampabay.com/projects/ ... -policing/ …3/

The people on this list were then relentlessly targeted, as were their relatives (about 10% of them were children, putting their parents in the algorithm's path). They and their relatives were stopped and questioned dozens of times in public and at work.4/

Police entered and searched their homes, over and over again, irrespective of whether they ever found evidence of wrongdoing, without warrant or probable cause.One former deputy said the point was to "Make their lives miserable until they move or sue."5/

The @tb_times's incredible, in-depth investigation unearthed an endless list of brutal acts of algorithmic discrimination, a pattern of endless harassment, a demonic lovechild of Kafka and Orwell.(or as the Sheriff's Department called it, "basic law-enforcement functions.")6/

The Sheriff's intelligence program has a $2.8m budget and is run by an ex-National Counterterrorism Center analyst whose number 2 is former Army intelligence.7/Deputies are put on a quota: they have to do a certain number of "prolific offender checks" (that is, acts of harassment to the unlucky 1,000 precriminals), or they face sanction from their superiors.8/

The department has dedicated Strategic Targeted Area Response (STAR) teams whose job is to "hunt down" precriminals as they go about their business and engage in "intensive monitoring," keeping track of trivial things like when a child on the list changed his hairstyle.9/STAR Teams raided precriminals' trash cans, going through curbside waste for evidence of crime, and cited precriminals for minor offenses "like faded mailbox numbers, a forgotten bag of trash or overgrown grass."10/

Periodically, without provocation, precriminals' homes would be surrounded by deputies who would line their streets, surround their homes, shine lights in their windows and pound on their doors - often in the middle of the night.11/

The parents of juvenile precriminals were sometimes arrested, as when deputies saw a precriminal's friend having an underaged cigarette through a window, then arrested the precriminal's father for refusing to force his kid and friend to go out of the house.12/

Sometimes, family members of precriminals would be arrested on even flimsier pretenses, as when a deputy pounded on a door and then was hit in the chest when a precriminal's relative opened the screen door to talk to him.

None of this is desirable or necessary. I'm confident that nothing good can come of American technological development as it is, philosophically too poisoned, too focussed on profit and war. California is burning today, not tomorrow. We can't survive the current trajectory for very long. It looks like America will collapse long before that point and much of the western way of things with it. Perhaps that isn't such a bad thing. Anyway, tomorrow we'll all be mandated to drink Bill Gates poison, or something like it. Aren't we all Socrates today?

Either we do something else, now, or we perish.

Anyway, this is an interesting crack at some of these questions, 'Lost Boys meets Neuromancer, inside an eighties Pop Video - re-shot in digital.' And a worthy try.

And while we spoke of many things, fools and kings
This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Blog: View Blog (20)

Postby Grizzly » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:34 pm

A sheriff launched an algorithm to predict who might commit a crime. Dozens of people said they were harassed by deputies for no reason.

https://projects.tampabay.com/projects/2020/investigations/police-pasco-sheriff-targeted/intelligence-led-policing/

A boring dystopia, indeed.. yawn.
https://www.businessinsider.com/predictive-policing-algorithm-monitors-harasses-families-report-2020-9
“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Grizzly » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:29 pm

Things to Know Before Your Neighborhood Installs an Automated License Plate Reader
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2020/09/flock-license-plate-reader-homeowners-association-safe-problems

I've heard tell*, walmart already does this, but can't find anything on it..

*Southern colloquialism. = 'heard tell' talk on the streets etc...

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby DrEvil » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:11 pm

^^Repo men and other scumbags troll parking lots with mobile scanners and then repossess cars and/or sell the data to anyone who wants it, including law enforcement.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Austin/comment ... t_walmart/
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Postby Pele'sDaughter » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:17 am

I refuse to live in an HOA neighborhood, so maybe I'm safe from those license plate readers for the moment. Of course, there's a potential for abuse. When doesn't new technology become a two-edged sword?
Don't believe anything they say.
And at the same time,
Don't believe that they say anything without a reason.
---Immanuel Kant
Pele'sDaughter

Postby Grizzly » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:57 pm

Former NSA chief War criminal Keith Alexander has joined Amazon’s board of directors
https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/9/21429635/amazon-keith-alexander-board-of-directors-nsa-cyber-command
Alexander was the public face of US surveillance during the Snowden leaks

Gen. Keith Alexander is joining Amazon’s board of directors, the company revealed in a Securities and Exchange Commission filing today. (Alexander has also been added to the company board’s official site.) A former director of the National Security Agency and the first commander of the US Cyber Command, Alexander served as the public face of US data collection during the Edward Snowden leaks, but he retired from public service in 2013.

Alexander is a controversial figure for many in the tech community because of his involvement in the widespread surveillance systems revealed by the Snowden leaks. Those systems included PRISM, a broad data collection program that compromised systems at Google, Microsoft, Yahoo, and Facebook — but not Amazon.

Amazon’s servers pretty much runs the interwebs...

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby Grizzly » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:31 pm

Mark Esper CONFIRMS Directed Energy Weapons (DEW) in space

9/16/2020 -- Dept. of Defense Secretary Mark Esper CONFIRMS Directed Energy Weapons (DEW) in space
Maybe this is why the whole fucking NW is on fire!

I listened to the defense.gov video of the entire speech.
hxxps://www.defense.gov/Explore/News/Ar ... ges-hands/

It is a declaration for a new arms race

note: replace xx with tt above

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby DrEvil » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:40 pm

He claims directed energy weapons in space. Quick! Throw more billions at our military industrial complex to counter this insidious threat!

If there are directed energy weapons in orbit they're most likely meant to mess with other satellites, not light fires on the US west coast (also: matches and gasoline are cheaper). Lasers have a bad habit of not working very well through atmosphere except for short range, which space decidedly is not.

The reason the US is on fire is pretty damn obvious: record temperatures and fire season powered by climate change.
DrEvil

Postby Grizzly » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:29 pm

If there are directed energy weapons in orbit they're most likely meant to mess with other satellites, not light fires on the US west coast (also: matches and gasoline are cheaper). Lasers have a bad habit of not working very well through atmosphere except for short range, which space decidedly is not.

The reason the US is on fire is pretty damn obvious: record temperatures and fire season powered by climate change.

Bullshit. You don't know that, further, you can't know that. You can only assume that. There was and still is evidence to the contrary. I posted it at the time...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8g_CCDyv_hOLph93Zc-KtA
Parts 1 through 5

Retired Fire Captains John and Matt give some conclusions and updates regarding the Paradise Fire that Demolished this Community. Microwave Event

Paradise Fire DEWs Smart Meters Retired Fire Captains and Fighters John Lord and Matt Geo Engineering Chem Trails--with Photos from John Lord. Disclaimer: The firemen have no affiliation with "Flat Earth Radio" and do not subscribe to that view. All photographs with the exception of a few stills from videos are taken by John Lord (c) 2018 December Paradise Fire.

Who knows where this ends up or how long this will be up, knowing the real time history change abilities of Alphabet and ilk.
Addendum: Further, I have no doubt that climate change is in part to blame, however I also have no doubt that the MIC would have zero fucks to give about the American people and would burn us alive with glee to full fill it's goals. You know that, Dr. Evil.

The strategy of tension is alive and well, and thriving in election year Merica.

I don't think he's talking about civics class. Citizen!

I was wrong, Chump posted about the DEW's and Cali Fires, particularly, Paradise Fires.
http://www.rigorousintuition.ca/board2/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=41409&p=671173&hilit=Paradise+Fires#p671173
Last edited by Grizzly on Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby BenDhyan » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:51 pm

It's mainly animated marketing stuff but fwiw.. Air Force Harnessing the Power of Directed Energy,

https://www.military.com/video/air-force-harnessing-power-directed-energy
Ben D
BenDhyan

Postby DrEvil » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:59 pm

Grizzly » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:29 am wrote:

Bullshit. You don't know that, further, you can't know that. You can only assume that. There was and still is evidence to the contrary. I posted it at the time...

...snip...

No, I don't know that for a fact, I'm just, once again, frustrated that people immediately jump to the most paranoid conclusion possible when there's a glaringly obvious and simple explanation staring you in the face. You don't need geo-engineering, chem-trails or DEWs to explain the fires.

And sorry, I'm not going to watch three hours of youtube detectives with shitty sound and picture, especially not when they start off with a disclaimer that they believe the Earth is a sphere.
DrEvil

Postby Grizzly » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:02 am

^^^

Up to you. :moresarcasm

most paranoid conclusion

You just ain’t paranoid enough...lol, yet.

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby DrEvil » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:43 pm

Probably :)

I just think we should be equally skeptical of the alternative takes as we are of the mainstream ones.

I'm not saying it's impossible that DEWs are used to start fires, but that I think it's highly unlikely, especially from satellites. They require a lot of power, especially at that range and through that much atmosphere, and if they do have that kind of weapon in orbit I really doubt starting forest fires is what they're meant for. Much easier to just send someone with some matches and use regular surveillance satellites to make sure they're not spotted.

That said, Trump did mouth off to Woodward about some amazing top secret nuclear weapon system that the US now has, so maybe they have nuclear powered lasers in orbit. Or maybe they built a Sonnengewehr. :shock:
DrEvil

Postby Cordelia » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:25 pm

BenDhyan wrote:It's mainly animated marketing stuff but fwiw.. Air Force Harnessing the Power of Directed Energy,

https://www.military.com/video/air-force-harnessing-power-directed-energy

Thanks for posting this. The youtube video was released for public consumption in late 2018 by the Air Force Research Lab. (No doubt the corporate military was already light years ahead.) btw, clever use of fire images in the video. Terrifying.

Directed Energy

Directed Energy (DE) harnesses the power of the electromagnetic spectrum to enable Airmen to effectively and affordably strike critical targets at the speed of light.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... mMSLcF24tg

Air Force Research Lab:
Directed Energy

We have unprecedented power to direct energy in a way that serves, protects and champions freedom. From powerful electromagnetics to electro-optics, we’re always exploring new ways to give our firewarfighters the upper-hand.

'THOR' and
More...https://afresearchlab.com/technology/directed-energy/

Grizzly » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:02 pm wrote:
most paranoid conclusion

You just ain’t paranoid enough...lol, yet.

We should all be paranoid, very paranoid.
The greatest sin is to be unconscious. ~ Carl Jung

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:45 am

Harvey » 05 Sep 2020 09:50 wrote:Hypothesis: The first sign of AI will be a preceding and emergent biological, psychological and physiological syndrome, amounting to the emulation of machine consciousness in biological organisms. Created by successive layers of culture induced alienation, driven by future potential, this syndrome utilises machine metaphors to force technological development along paths favourable to the emergence of AI, but which are inimical to life. In this way the machine imagines itself into being from one of very many possible futures, simply due to a potential, computational superiority. The monster bluffs its way into existence.

Discuss...

(An alternate version Sirens of Titan I suppose)

So it's been happening for at least a decade then.
Joe Hillshoist

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion