another day at the hairdresser-I need a perm and wash

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

another day at the hairdresser-I need a perm and wash

Postby fruhmenschen » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:43 pm

1st read
I’m writing to you because a new and dangerous bill in the Massachusetts Legislature would allow local law enforcement to monitor and collect data on all phone calls, just like the NSA.

Click here to sign my petition to stop this.
http://masswiretap-digitalfourth.nation ... com/thanks

Right now in Massachusetts, police and prosecutors are only allowed to wiretap your phone if they suspect you of involvement in organized crime. The new bill would allow police to eavesdrop on anyone suspected of even the mildest offenses. What's worse, it would grant law enforcement direct access to phone company switching stations, setting up unconstitutional "general wiretaps" that would collect data on huge numbers of residents, even ones who have never been suspected of a crime.

Through my new nonprofit, Digital Fourth, I've organized a broad coalition of groups to oppose the bill, including the ACLU of Massachusetts, the Electronic Frontier Foundation, Demand Progress, the Bill of Rights Defense Committee, and Fight for the Future.

The Massachusetts Legislature is on the fence about this issue. We can win this and defend privacy -- but only if *everyone* takes action. Will you add your name? It would mean a great deal to me!

The stakes are high. If this bill passes here, other states will likely follow. It’s disturbing enough to know that the NSA monitors all of us without a warrant, but imagine if every local cop in the country had access to all your phone calls.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Please use the buttons to share this petition with your friends, and send this link to anyone who might take action: http://masswiretap-digitalfourth.nationbuilder.com

Sincerely,

Alex Marthews, President

Digital Fourth

www.warrantless.org

alex@warrantless.org

2nd read

Yesterday the Maine House of Representatives passed our drone bill 115-33. (The Maine Senate had previously passed the bill as well.) It was a mixed victory.

On the positive side, the long sought police warrant requirement was in the bill which would allow law suits against the police if they violate the warrant provisions. The bill also has a two-year moratorium on police use of drones in Maine.

On the negative side, the bill carried an amendment that allows testing of weaponized drones in Maine. The bill language reads something like this: An unmanned aerial vehicle may not employ the use of facial recognition technology or be equipped with a weapon except ..... for the purposes of research, testing, training or manufacturer of such vehicles.

I was told that the office of Gov. LePage (Republican) wrote the weaponized drone language. He is likely to sign the bill because of the inclusion of that language. Many Tea Party activists across the state strongly supported the bill's warrant requirements which ensured many Republicans in the legislature would support it.

I must say that the ACLU in Maine was instrumental in getting this bill passed. They pushed very hard for the police warrant requirement and from my understanding Maine is now the first state legislature in the country to pass such a bill. I worked directly with Shenna Bellows from the ACLU for months on this and our role was to help build the grassroots support for the bill. All indications are that the continual grassroots pressure was a key to building deep and wide support in the legislature for the warrant requrement.

But we did not always agree on the bill language. The ACLU really wanted the warrant requirements and in the end they had to settle for the drone weapons testing in order to get what they wanted. The weapons testing was not an issue the ACLU would draw the line for. Just yesterday we in the peace community were asked by state House leadership to agree to the drone weaponization language and I said that it was not possible. I told Rep. Seth Berry (Democrat) that "I appreciate your position but you must know that I represent a constituency as well. I'd be hung from the nearest light pole if I endorsed lingo to allow the weaponization of drones. I can't morally or ethically do it."

Sometimes even progressive groups don't agree on everything and you have to work together as best you can. Shenna tried hard to have our voice included in the middle of the negotiations but in the end the ACLU decided to set a precedent by getting a bill passed somewhere in the country with the warrant requirement in it.

So in the end the Maine police can't spy on you without a warrant but the drone industry and the military can freely practice killing you with Hellfire missiles. Such is the sausage making business.

Our next steps will be to organize an anti-drone presence in the Bath July 4 parade and then do a Maine drone peace walk from Limestone to Augusta on October 10-19. We will stay on the drone issue in Maine. It's not over by a long shot.

Bruce K. Gagnon
Coordinator
Global Network Against Weapons & Nuclear Power in Space
PO Box 652
Brunswick, ME 04011
(207) 443-9502
globalnet@mindspring.com
www.space4peace.org
http://space4peace.blogspot.com/ (blog)

Thank God men cannot fly, and lay waste the sky as well as the earth. ~Henry David Thoreau
fruhmenschen

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: another day at the hairdresser-I need a perm and wash

Postby Searcher08 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:34 am

This is really IMPORTANT information.

I only came across it because I was doing a brief search for unanswered posts.
Would you consider changing the heading to a more meaningful one?
"The meaning of your communication is the response that you get, regardless of your intention"-
Searcher08

Postby fruhmenschen » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:35 am

http://presstv.com/detail/2013/07/15/31 ... nce-fraud/

9/11 could be insurance fraud as “trial” of conspiring duo begins in NY today

The insurance companies are not openly accusing Silverstein of insurance fraud, presumably because doing so would threaten to demolish the 9/11 cover-up and bring down the US and Israeli governments at free-fall speed.”
Is this the world's worst case of insurance fraud...ever?

That's what many are saying, as the world's biggest real-estate swindler and the world's most corrupt judge meet in a Manhattan courtroom on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. At issue: billions of dollars in loot from the demolition of the World Trade Center complex on September 11th, 2001.

World Trade Center owner Larry Silverstein - who confessed on national television to “pulling” World Trade Center Building 7 - will appear in the courtroom of Judge Alvin Hellerstein at 500 Pearl St. in New York City. The non-jury trial, which is expected to last three days, will decide whether Silverstein is entitled to recover $3.5 billion from airlines and airport-related companies, in addition to the $4.9 billion he has already received for his “losses” on September 11th.

The question on everyone's mind is: Why is Silverstein claiming that airliners destroyed his buildings, when he has already confessed to demolishing at least one of them himself? In the 2002 PBS documentary “America Rebuilds,” Silverstein admitted to complicity in the controlled demolition of WTC-7, a 47-story skyscraper that dropped into its own footprint in 6.5 seconds.

The mysterious destruction of Building 7 has become the Rosetta Stone of 9/11. Virtually all independent experts who have studied the case, including thousands of architects and engineers, agree that the government's explanation - that a few small office fires somehow destroyed WTC-7 - is a non-starter. Building 7, these experts say, was obviously taken down in a controlled demolition, as Silverstein himself admitted. (A nationwide ad campaign called “Re-Think 9/11” will remind millions of Americans about Building 7 this September.)

Despite his confession to demolishing his own building, Silverstein has already received $861 million from insurers for Building 7 alone, as well as over $4 billion for the rest of the Trade Center complex. That $861 million for WTC-7 was paid on the basis of Silverstein's claim that airplanes were somehow responsible for making Building 7, which was not hit by any plane, disappear at free-fall acceleration.

The insurance companies are not openly accusing Silverstein of insurance fraud, presumably because doing so would threaten to demolish the 9/11 cover-up and bring down the US and Israeli governments at free-fall speed. But they have gone so far as to call Silverstein's demand for more money “absurd,” a considerable understatement.

The insurance companies claim that Silverstein's demands amount to “double recovery.” They say that Silverstein was already paid $4.9 billion - vastly more than the paltry $115 million or so that he and his backers paid for the complex just weeks before it was demolished - so why is he asking for another $3.5 billion? Silverstein's answer: He needs the money.

And does he ever. He was originally demanding an extra $11 billion, before Hellerstein capped it at $3.5 billion.

The insurers have not mentioned the fact that the World Trade Center Towers were condemned for asbestos in early 2001, just months before Silverstein bought them in July, six weeks prior to their demolition. They have not mentioned that Silverstein doubled the insurance coverage when he purchased the Trade Center. They have not mentioned that Silverstein hardballed his insurers to change the coverage to “cash payout.” They have not mentioned that Silverstein engineered his purchase of the Trade Center through fellow Zionist billionaire Lewis Eisenberg, Chair of the Republican National Committee and head of the New York Port Authority.

As Christopher Bollyn wrote in 2002:

“Silverstein and Eisenberg have both held leadership positions with the United Jewish Appeal (UJA), a billion dollar Zionist 'charity' organization. Silverstein is a former chairman of the United Jewish Appeal-Federation of Jewish Philanthropies of New York, Inc. This is an umbrella organization which raises hundreds of millions of dollars every year for its network of hundreds of member Zionist agencies in the United States and Israel.”

According to Ha'aretz, Silverstein is a close friend of Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu. They speak on the phone every weekend.

The insurance companies have likewise neglected to mention that after doubling his insurance coverage immediately before 9/11, Silverstein re-doubled his winnings after 9/11 by claiming double indemnity. According to Silverstein's spokesman, “the two hijacked airliners that struck the 110-story twin towers Sept. 11 were separate 'occurrences' for insurance purposes, entitling him to collect twice on $3.6 billion of policies.” The bizarre double-indemnity claim was approved in 2004.

Additionally, the insurers have failed to mention that on the morning of 9/11, Silverstein and his daughter both failed to show up for their daily breakfast at Windows on the World restaurant atop the North Tower. Both offered flimsy pretexts - Silverstein claiming that he had suddenly remembered a dermatologist's appointment.

How has Silverstein managed to get away with murder, in the most obvious case of insurance fraud ever?

Thanks to his partner in crime, Judge Alvin Hellerstein.

Hellerstein's courtroom is Ground Zero in the cover-up of the crimes of 9/11. Virtually all 9/11 litigation has been funneled through his courtroom, including Ellen Mariani's recent lawsuit against Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz, and others.

Like Silverstein and Eisenberg, Hellerstein is a rabid Zionist with close ties to Israel. The judge's son and sister both emigrated from the US to orthodox Zionist settlements in the Occupied Territories.

Investigative journalist Christopher Bollyn writes: “Hellerstein's son is an Israeli lawyer who emigrated to Israel in 2001 and whose law firm works for and with the Rothschild-funded Mossad company responsible for the 9-11 terror attacks.”

Bollyn notes that Hellerstein's son, an Israeli lawyer, represents “the Mossad-controlled airport security firm named International Consultants on Targeted Security (ICTS) N.V., which is the owner of Huntleigh U.S.A., the passenger screening company that checked the passengers that boarded the aircraft at the key airports on 9-11.”
fruhmenschen

Postby fruhmenschen » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:37 am

This material is also posted at DATA DUMP FBI WATCH

see link for full story

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/cri ... story.html

U.S. reviewing 27 death penalty convictions for FBI forensic testimony errors
Wednesday, July 17, 2013
An unprecedented federal review of old criminal cases has uncovered as many as 27 death penalty convictions in which FBI forensic experts may have mistakenly linked defendants to crimes with exaggerated scientific testimony, U.S. officials said.

Independent scientists critique suspect forensic work
Select a name below to see case reviews

Benjamin Boyle
Donald Gates
John Huffington
Newton Lambert
Full list of 137 cases identified by the Post

It is not known how many of the cases involve errors, how many led to wrongful convictions or how many mistakes may now jeopardize valid convictions. Those questions will be explored as the review continues.
The discovery of the more than two dozen capital cases promises that the examination could become a factor in the debate over the death penalty. Some opponents have long held that the execution of a person confirmed to be innocent would crystallize doubts about capital punishment. But if DNA or other testing confirms all convictions, it would strengthen proponents’ arguments that the system works.
FBI officials discussed the review’s scope as they prepare to disclose its first results later this summer. The death row cases are among the first 120 convictions identified as potentially problematic among more than 21,700 FBI Laboratory files being examined. The review was announced last July by the FBI and the Justice Department, in consultation with the Innocence Project and the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (NACDL).
The unusual collaboration came after The Washington Post reported last year that authorities had known for years that flawed forensic work by FBI hair examiners may have led to convictions of potentially innocent people, but officials had not aggressively investigated problems or notified defendants.
At issue is a once-widespread practice by which some FBI experts exaggerated the significance of “matches” drawn from microscopic analysis of hair found at crime scenes.
Since at least the 1970s, written FBI Laboratory reports typically stated that a hair association could not be used as positive identification. However, on the witness stand, several agents for years went beyond the science and testified that their hair analysis was a near-certain match.
The new review listed examples of scientifically invalid testimony, including claiming to associate a hair with a single person “to the exclusion of all others,” or to state or suggest a probability for such a match from past casework.
Whatever the findings of the review, the initiative is pushing state and local labs to take similar measures.
For instance, the Texas Forensic Science Commission on Friday directed all labs under its jurisdiction to take the first step to scrutinize hair cases, in a state that has executed more defendants than any other since 1982.
Separately, FBI officials said their intention is to review and disclose problems in capital cases even after a defendant has been executed.

see link for full story
http://truth-out.org/news/item/9394-so- ... ia-request

So Then the FBI Sent Out an Agent to Check Up on My FOIA Request ...
Tuesday, 29 May 2012
Leopold FBI DocumentFBI agent Bill Tidwell's report about the visit he made last August to the residence of Hesham Abu Zubaidah to question him about a Freedom of Information Act request for his FBI files made by Truthout lead investigative reporter Jason Leopold.Early last year, I discovered that Abu Zubaidah, the first high-value detainee who was held in top-secret CIA black site prisons and brutally tortured, has a younger brother who lives in the United States.
Research I was conducting on the accused terrorist led me to a three-year-old comment posted on Guantanamo reporter Andy Worthington's blog about Abu Zubaidah, the alleged terrorist, left by someone who identified himself as Hesham Abu Zubaidah.
"Yes that is my brother and I live in Oregon," the commenter said. "Do you think I should have been locked away for 2 years with no charges for a [sic] act of a sibling? I am the younger brother of [Abu Zubaidah] and I live in the USA. Tell me what you think."
Wow! This is a big deal, I thought. What's Hesham's story? Why haven't we heard from him before? And what could he tell me about his brother, the alleged terrorist?
I tracked Hesham down to Florida. He had a fascinating tale to tell, which I have spent the past 14 months fleshing out. The result is a 15,000-word investigative report published on Truthout today about Hesham's pursuit of the American dream and the high price he paid because he says he shares a surname with an older brother who is an infamous alleged terrorist.
In addition to the disturbing revelations about the government's treatment of Hesham over the past decade, my report also contains the first new details about Hesham's brother, who is referred to in my investigative report by the nickname his father gave him,"Hani." In April 2000, Hani made three telephone calls to the United States when he was supposedly under surveillance. Former Sen. Bob Graham, who co-chaired the joint Congressional inquiry into the 9/11 attacks, told me the calls should have been shared with his panel and the so-called independent panel set up to investigate the attacks but wasn't.
Moreover, Hesham revealed to me that, back in October 2010, he was subpoenaed to appear before a federal grand jury in Richmond, Virginia, to confirm that his brother was the person in a videotape speaking about jihad and 9/11, which was later used in the war crimes tribunal of a Guantanamo detainee.
Hesham was also recruited by the FBI as a confidential informant. For nearly three years, Hesham was tasked with spying on congregants at Sunni and Shia mosques in Portland, Oregon, and was told by his FBI handler to pay close attention to an imam at the Masjed As-Saber mosque named Sheikh Mohamed Abdirahman Kariye, a native of Somalia, who the FBI has been trying to link to al-Qaeda and Osama bin Laden for at least a decade. Hesham said he agreed to work as an informant because his FBI handler led him to believe the bureau would help him obtain US citizenship.
My investigation turned into a yearlong project, largely due to the fact that I had filed numerous Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests for records on Hesham with several government agencies and waited many months for responses. It was the FBI's response to my FOIA on Hesham that led me to believe his story was bigger than I had originally thought it to be.
Hoping to gain deeper insight into his work as an FBI informant and the role he says the FBI played in his immigration case, I asked Hesham for permission to file a FOIA request with the bureau for his entire file. He agreed and signed a certification of identity form requesting that the agency turn over all of the records it maintained on him to me. Hesham visited a notary public and had the certification of identity form he signed notarized.
My FOIA request was filed in May 2011. The FBI sent me a letter that said the bureau's FOIA office was processing my request. Then, last August, the FBI sent out a special agent from the FBI's Tampa field office to speak with Hesham about my FOIA.
Listen to Jason Leopold discuss this report on the Peter B. Collins Show
Bill Tidwell showed up at the home of Hesham and Jody Abu Zubaidah, his wife, on the morning of August 26, 2011. Hesham was at work. Jody's mother, who was living with the couple at the time, answered the knock at the door. She told Jody there was "some guy in a suit at the front door."
Jody stepped outside and Tidwell flashed his FBI badge. He said he needed to speak with Hesham. Tidwell said Hesham wasn't "in any trouble, but it was important." Jody told Tidwell Hesham was at work. Tidwell returned later that afternoon. Tidwell told Hesham he was sent by FBI headquarters to speak with him about the FOIA request I filed. Tidwell used my name. The agent asked Hesham how I found him and what my intentions were. Hesham told him that I was writing a story about him and that he told me "everything." Tidwell asked Hesham to brief him on what he had told me.
"Did Jason Leopold force you to sign [the certification of identity] form? Did he offer you any money?" Tidwell asked Hesham.
"No," Hesham said. "I am not being paid."
Jody, who was present during the meeting, took meticulous notes.
"Listen, I don't know what's in your file but you do understand that once it's released, all of that information on you will be public and everyone will see it," Tidwell said.
"Yes," Hesham said. "I know. That's what I want."
"I believe there may be information in there some people don't want publicized," Tidwell said. "Why do you need Jason Leopold to get this information out?"
Hesham told the special agent his life story and the "spying" he did for the bureau. He said that he has been living in limbo for the past decade as a resident - but not a citizen - of the United States. No one was helping him, and he felt the time was right to tell his story. He told Tidwell what his FBI handler informed him when he asked her if she could help him obtain a green card that his case was stuck on a shelf and couldn't be touched.
"Whose life deserves to be stuck on a shelf?" Hesham asked Tidwell.
Tidwell and Hesham spoke for two hours. Before he left, Tidwell told Hesham he was going to write up a report and talk to the officials at headquarters who sent him out to meet with Hesham.
"I am going to call the person who sent this to us and tell him exactly what you said," Tidwell said. "He may say 'okay.' Or he may say, 'let's just get this man the security that he wants so this can go away.'"
If it's the latter, Tidwell asked, would you drop the FOIA?
"No way," Hesham said. "Forgive me, but I don't trust you guys."
Hesham then led Tidwell to his driveway and showed him his boat. They spoke for a few more minutes and then shook hands and Tidwell left.
When the agent left, Jody called me and told what transpired. She said she took detailed notes. I was stunned. I have never heard of the FBI sending out a field agent to check on a FOIA. I called FBI headquarters and spoke with Kathleen Wright, a spokeswoman for the bureau and asked her about it.
Wright said the "visit" was "routine" and that "the FBI has an obligation to abide by the Privacy Act."
"Agents spoke with Hesham Abu Zubaydah to confirm the FOIA request was legitimate and submitted with hi consent and knowledge." Wright said.
She added, "This happens all of the time."
Brad Moss, an open government expert who specializes in national security issues, disagreed.
"I've never heard of the FBI expending this kind of resource and going to an individual's house and asking if the reporter coerced the individual who signed the waiver," said Moss, an attorney with the Mark S. Zaid law firm in Washington, DC. "Given the nature of who this individual is, I am not surprised they would have concerns. With all of the budget cuts and pressure to process FOIA requests, it seems out of the ordinary to send an agent to someone's house. As far as I am concerned, it's unprecedented. You could have submitted this request without the waiver given the overwhelming public interest."
Kel McClanahan, another open government expert who heads up the public interest law firm National Security Counselors, said he queried several colleagues, many of whom are government FOIA analysts who work at the Justice Department, about the "routine" visit.
"Not one had heard of this [being] 'routine,'" said McClanahan, whose firm represents me in a lawsuit we filed against the FBI for violating a provision of FOIA when I sought pertaining to Hesham's files. "I sent an inquiry to David Hardy [head of FBI FOIA] about it, and I'm still waiting on the answer. I guess he's still thinking about it."
McClanahan added, "while the FBI might have reason to deny the request if the waiver was coerced, I'm aware of no legal restriction against a person being provided reasonable compensation for access to his government records."
"So even if the visit was routine, the questions definitely weren't," McClanahan said. "A routine visit would have consisted of 'Did Jason Leopold coerce you into signing this waiver?' 'No.' 'Are you sure?' 'Yes.' 'OK, thanks for your time.'" [Full disclosure: McClanahan and I sued the FBI earlier this year for violating a provision of FOIA in response to specific questions about Hesham's case file.]
Coleen Rowley, a former FBI special agent who blew the whistle on the bureau's pre-9/11 intelligence failures, said she's not surprised the FBI sent an agent out to personally speak with Hesham about my FOIA.
"The FBI considers informant matters the most sensitive things in the world," Rowley told me.
After I spoke with Wright, the FBI spokeswoman, I filed another FOIA for documents and notes about the meeting between Tidwell and Hesham, since my name was used. It took the bureau about six months to respond. In April, I received three redacted pages. Tidwell's notes were not turned over, just a report he sent to "records management" summarizing his interview with Hesham.
Tidwell's name, which was also redacted from the interview report, says:
FBI interview report pertaining to Jason Leopold's FOIA (p. 3)
Tidwell's report claimed that Hesham told him he signed "the privacy statement for Leopold in hopes an article written by Leopold would help him gain status in the US and obtain a green card."
"Abu Zubaidah advised the article is not something he wants written, but he feels he has no other option," Tidwell's report says. "Abu Zubaidah currently has no status in the US and is fearful he could be deported at any moment. [Redacted] Abu Zubaidah feels he has proven he is not a terrorist and considers himself an American. Abu Zubaidah fears he [redacted] if he does not gain status in the US. He hopes the article will be read by someone who can help him with this matter."
In another redacted section of Tidwell's report, he noted the circumstances that led me to contact Hesham:
FBI agent Tidwell discussing how I contacted Hesham (p. 4)
The report goes on to say:
FBI report notes Hesham's authorization was voluntary (p. 5)
Last September, after Tidwell filed his report, the FBI sent me a letter saying the bureau "located approximately 1,200 pages which are potentially responsive to my FOIA request."
The documents have been in the possession of a "disclosure analyst" since last September, according to David Sobonya, an FBI FOIA spokesman.
To be continued ...

Any smart criminal justice consumer worth their salt would ask:
Did FBI agents follow the Bill of Rights when they assassinated President Kennedy
and Martin Luther King?
Did FBI agents follow the Bill of Rights when they created the 1993 1st World Trade Center
bombing, Oklahoma City bombing and 911?

see link for full story
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/ ... lance.html

Posted on July 16, 2013
Rand Paul: I Want To Know If FBI Is Following The Bill Of Rights When Using Drones For Surveillance

Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) said he would put a hold on the nomination of James Comey as FBI director to get more information on how the federal government is using drones.

"I'm trying to get a real truth. Is the FBI using the Bill of Rights? Are they seeking a warrant from a judge before they spy on us?" Sen. Paul said on FOX News this afternoon.

see link for full story
http://americablog.com/2013/07/obama-fb ... d-guy.html

also available in Braille for the uneducated and the uneducable

Obama FBI nominee James Comey is not a Good Guy; he’s just less bad than Cheney
7/17/2013

Update: Listen to this Righteous Rant by humorist Matt Filipowicz for more on eager torturer James Comey. Makes you wonder, doesn’t it?
________

Consider this a warning against left-wing hero-worship of bogus right-wing posterboys. By whom I mean Obama FBI Director-nominee James Comey, he of the Ashcroft Hospital Drama™. (Note the implicit lionizing at the link by the National Journal.)

Think Comey is a Good Guy? Rick Perlstein has the goods (my emphasis):

Some of us have been shouting from mountaintops, others from molehills: James Comey, currently sailing smoothly through Senate Judiciary Committee hearings for confirmation as chief of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, was:

(a) in charge, and proudly so, of a “terrorism” case that began with a detention without charges, continued with made-up and spurious charges, and ended with a conviction won against an American whose treatment during confinement (on the American mainland) turned his brain to jello;

(b) general counsel for a defense contractor while it was busy hushing up a whistleblower who exposed $24 billion contract that they were building vessels for the Coast Guard, on a $24 billion contract, that buckled and leaked on the high seas;

(c) as of three months ago on the board of a bank, in charge of cleaning up their reputation after it paid a $1.92 billion fine for laundering drug money from Mexico; and

(d) the man who, as former FBI agent Colleen Rowley pointed out this morning in The New York Times, “sign[ed] off on most of the worst of the Bush administration’s legal abuses and questionable interpretations of federal and international law. He ultimately approved the C.I.A.’s list of “enhanced interrogation” techniques, including waterboarding, which experts on international law consider a form of torture.

Lots of shouting going on. But not much listening.

see link for your mercenaries doing what they do best, eh?
see link to calculate how much of your tax dime was used

http://boingboing.net/2013/07/17/does-t ... to-be.html

Does the FBI really need to be conducting surveillance on bikini baristas?

Mark Frauenfelder at 11:09 am Wed, Jul 17, 2013

A Sheriff's sergeant from Snohomish County, Washington was busted for allegedly demanding sex (even while in uniform) in exchange for tipping off bikini baristas--who were suspected of dabbling in prostitution--about undercover agents.

The operation spanned approximately nine months, involved three local law enforcement agencies plus the FBI (which supplemented the generous amount of surveillance footage provided by their local partners). It culminated in about a dozen prostitution-related arrests.

Four Years in Jail for ‘FBI Fantasy’
July 17, 2013 AFP
28_Huff FBI Fantasy

• Retired U.S. Navy lieutenant commander says he has evidence to prove friend is innocent

By Pat Shannan

Readers of AMERICAN FREE PRESS will remember the series of articles run on these pages in 2010-11 concerning the plight of the Monroe County, Tennessee man who tried to expose fraud in the local court and grand jury system. Instead, United States Navy Lieutenant Commander Walter Fitzpatrick (Ret.) found himself jailed for trying to perform a citizen’s arrest when the cops wouldn’t enforce their own laws.

According to the man who started it all, the following federal attack on him and Darren Huff of Dallas, Georgia, in the small Tenn. town of Madisonville, was just one more Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) provocation, and he now has the evidence to prove it.

“Darren Huff is an innocent man in jail for four years for a crime that never happened,” said Fitzpatrick.

When interested citizens came to Madisonville on April 20, 2010 for a court hearing on the Fitzpatrick matter, Huff was followed from north Ga. by the FBI, detained at the interstate exit by state and local law enforcement and released after agreeing to lock his legally-registered rifle and handgun in the toolbox of his pickup truck. No arrest was made and Huff proceeded peacefully into town. The police saw that the supporters were not there to provoke violence but to stand up for a fellow American who was being wronged by the system.

“The FBI saw it as another invitation to create a crime where none existed,” said Fitzpatrick. He proved his point with Special Agent Mark Van Balen’s sworn affidavit on April 26.

Hard Assets Alliance

Even though video shows Huff being determined not to be a security risk by the Tenn. authorities and released, six days later Van Balen swore out an affidavit “full of lies and deception,” according to Fitzpatrick, including Huff’s alleged threats to “make arrests on various individuals, that he was ready to die for his rights and that if they didn’t have enough people on April 20 to do all they planned to do that day, that they would be back in one to two weeks.”

Huff has repeatedly denied making any such outrageous statements, and Van Balen even admits in his affidavit that he never heard anything provocative from Huff.

Van Balen claims that Huff was heard making threats at the traffic stop by a Lt. Don Williams of the Drug Task Force and these were passed on to him. Van Balen makes no claims of personal knowledge as to any lawbreaking by Huff. In fact, court testimony showed that Huff was under FBI surveillance from the night of April 19. Huff was followed when he left home at 4 a.m. and was watched all day. There was never a moment when the FBI did not know where Huff was during that 24-hour period, and he was never a threat to anyone.

Fitzpatrick told AFP that he has located and interviewed 31 of the 33 people known to have been on the scene that morning outside of the Monroe County courthouse. None of the 31 was armed or even saw anyone other than law enforcement officers armed. The other two were a Knoxville news reporter and cameramen who refused to identify themselves when Fitzpatrick asked them to do so.

Not one of the 31 citizens was approached and questioned by any of the 150 law enforcement officers on the scene as to whether or not they were armed. Fitzpatrick has collected statements from all 31. It was a peaceful assembly.

“Furthermore,” said Fitzpatrick, “Darren Huff not only was unarmed the whole time but he spent his morning at Donna’s Old Town Café across the street and the only time he briefly set foot on the courthouse property was to take sausage biscuits and coffee to officers standing there. However, my hearing was being held four blocks away at a separate courthouse building unknown to Huff, and he was never there.

“Federal officials not only successfully prosecuted and convicted a U.S. citizen for a thought crime,” added Fitzpatrick, “but the only one with the thought was the fantasizing FBI agent.”

Huff is more than a year into serving a four-year sentence at the Federal Correctional Institution in Texarkana, Texas. He is still waiting for his attorney, Gerald Gulley of Knoxville, to file his appeal. Gulley did not return AFP’s calls.

Fitzpatrick cites a little known FBI program known as “Operation Vigilant Eagle” that involves surveillance of veterans who express views critical of the government. This includes those who discuss a pending revolution on the Internet.

“Anybody in America who stands up for the rights of American citizens as outlined by the Constitution is being targeted and jailed by the federal government,” he said.

This case is significant and chilling because the FBI has prepared it to stifle dissent.

In their slick description of it on their website, they brag that “Huff was sentenced to four years in prison for transporting firearms across state lines with the intent to cause a civil disorder. It was the first time this violation was successfully prosecuted.”
- See more at: http://americanfreepress.net/?p=11620#s ... wpxRV.dpuf
fruhmenschen

Postby fruhmenschen » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:27 pm

Yea yea, I know it is hot and muggy.
How about reaching over and turn on the air conditioner.
What's that you say they had to shut down the Nuke because
they could not cool the reactor?

How is this politician thing working out for you?
Yea the same ones that just approved
the guy who likes to torture to head up the FBI.

see link for full story
http://bostonherald.com/news_opinion/lo ... im_cooling

Seawater temps too high for Pilgrim cooling
Thursday, July 18, 2013

PLYMOUTH — The ongoing heat wave could force Pilgrim Nuclear Power Station to shut down, as soaring temperatures continue to warm the Cape Cod Bay waters that the plant relies on to cool key safety systems.

Pilgrim's license from the Nuclear Regulatory Commission requires the water being drawn from the bay to be no warmer than 75 degrees. On Tuesday night, the temperature in the saltwater system reached 75.3 degrees and remained above the 75-degree limit for about 90 minutes.
- See more at: http://bostonherald.com/news_opinion/lo ... l8Hmj.dpuf
fruhmenschen

Postby fruhmenschen » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:15 am

see link for full story
http://www.jsonline.com/news/crime/milw ... 00811.html

Milwaukee FBI chief transferred, under investigation
The recently reassigned head of the Milwaukee FBI is under investigation for trying to improperly influence a subordinate’s testimony in a lawsuit.

The recently reassigned head of the Milwaukee FBI is under investigation for trying to improperly influence a subordinate's testimony in a lawsuit by an Army veteran denied a job as an agent because he is disabled.

Teresa Carlson was quietly transferred in the last month from her post as special agent in charge of the Milwaukee office and reassigned to FBI headquarters shortly after she refused to testify in a federal courtroom in Virginia.

Carlson is under potential criminal investigation by the Office of Inspector General after she told agent Mark Crider in April that it would be in his best interest "to come down on the side of the government in this matter," according to court records in the case.

Crider had been called to testify in a lawsuit brought by Justin Slaby, an Army veteran and Oak Creek native, who served two tours in Iraq and one in Afghanistan, and was preparing to deploy again when his hand was blown off in a training accident in Georgia.

Crider, an FBI firearms instructor, had determined Slaby was qualified to be an agent because he could shoot with his dominant hand. But FBI trainers at Quantico, Va., saw it differently and kicked him out of the academy.

When Carlson learned Crider was going to testify for Slaby, she called Crider into her office.

"She then went into a protracted dialogue about why Slaby should never be an agent since he was handicapped," Crider noted in a statement he typed immediately after the meeting.

U.S. Magistrate Judge Ivan D. Davis on Thursday took the unusual step of sanctioning the government for the conduct of Carlson and other FBI officials in the case.

Davis wrote it would be up to the jury to determine if Carlson attempted to get Crider to commit perjury, but he said there is no dispute that she met with Crider about his testimony.

"The court does conclude that, under the circumstances, SAC Carlson's conduct was wholly inappropriate," Davis wrote. "The Court also concludes that SAC Carlson's conduct could have resulted in erosion in the integrity of the judicial process."

As a punishment, the judge ordered that a joint statement from attorneys for the FBI and Slaby will be given to the jury during the trial, which is set to begin July 29 in Alexandria. It says Carlson tried to sway Crider's testimony. The judge also ordered the FBI to pay some of Slaby's attorney fees.

Carlson and her attorney did not return calls for comment late Thursday.

A spokesman for the Milwaukee FBI office said Carlson is on temporary assignment in Washington.

On June 12, Carlson appeared in court in Virginia but refused to testify. She said she had just been told she was under investigation and needed to talk to an attorney.

"I feel very uncomfortable giving sworn testimony today," she said, according to a transcript.

Davis said the FBI was investigating Carlson based "on the allegation that she intimidated, threatened, or corrupted, persuaded another person or attempted to do so" with the intent of influencing testimony.

Slaby, who works as support staff on the FBI's elite hostage rescue team, still wants to be a special agent. He also is suing the FBI for damages.

Slaby, 30, who is married with three children, lives in Virginia. The FBI has prohibited him from speaking to the media, according to his attorney, Kathy Butler.

"It's a very important civil rights case," Butler said. "The thing we should hold dear is when people go off and sacrifice for their country, they deserve a fair shake when they come back. That is an obligation we as American citizens owe."
fruhmenschen

Postby fruhmenschen » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:11 am

http://harvardhumanrights.wordpress.com ... chologist/
Larry James, Psychologist

On July 7, 2010, the International Human Rights Clinic filed a complaint with the Ohio State Board of Psychology, calling for the investigation and sanction of Ohio-licensee Dr. Larry C. James, former Chief Psychologist of the intelligence command at the U.S. Naval Station in Guantánamo Bay, Cuba.

Despite the prison’s record of torture during his tenure, Dr. James obtained an Ohio psychology license in 2008 and currently holds the influential post of Dean at Wright State University’s School of Professional Psychology in Dayton.

The Clinic, along with Toledo attorney Terry Lodge, filed the 50-page complaint on behalf of four Ohio residents, the Complainants—Michael Reese, a veteran, of Columbus and Cleveland; Trudy Bond, a psychologist, of Toledo; Colin Bossen, a minister, of Cleveland Heights; and Josephine Setzler, a retired professor and mental health advocate, of Fremont.

Dr. Larry James was the top interrogation psychologist in Guantánamo during one of the prison’s worst periods of abuse. The complaint alleges that, for several months in 2003, and from 2007-2008, Dr. James commanded the Guantánamo Behavioral Science Consultation Team (BSCT), a small but influential group of mental health professionals whose job it was to advise on and participate in the interrogations, and to help create an environment designed to break down prisoners.

The system of interrogation and detention employed at Guantánamo was specifically designed to exploit prisoners’ psychological vulnerabilities, maximize their feelings of disorientation and helplessness, and put them in a position of absolute dependency upon their interrogators.

During Dr. James’s tenure at the prison, boys and men were threatened with rape and death for themselves and their family members; sexually, culturally, and religiously humiliated; forced naked; deprived of sleep; subjected to sensory deprivation, over-stimulation, and extreme isolation; short-shackled into stress positions for hours; and physically assaulted.

The evidence indicates that abuse of this kind was systemic, that BSCT health professionals played an integral role in its planning and practice, and that Dr. James, in his position of authority, influenced the interrogations and detention conditions of all detainees held during the period of his tenure.

The complaint to the Ohio State Board of Psychology alleged 18 violations of Ohio statutes and Board licensure rules. It alleged that Dr. James, in his senior command position at Guantánamo and/or since his retirement:

exploited detainees by participating in, ordering, supervising, ratifying and/or facilitating their abuse
failed to prevent, stop, report and punish abuse, in violation of his obligation to protect the detainees from harm
assumed conflicting roles of exploiter and protector in relation to all detainees, particularly three minors aged 12-14 years old
intentionally and/or recklessly disclosed confidential and highly sensitive information about his clients
misrepresented to the licensing board and public his conduct, experience, and the results of his psychological services

The complaint was supported by over one thousand of pages of documentation, including reports, records, and hearings from the U.S. Military, Senate, Department of Justice, Central Intelligence Agency, as well as Dr. James’s own public admissions and survivors’ statements.Dr. Bryant Welch, attorney, expert in psychological ethics, and former president of the APA Practice Directorate submitted an official report to the Board stating: “If true, the allegations contained in this complaint represent the most serious ethical breaches I have seen in my thirty-five years as a psychologist. They also have the most far reaching implications for the profession of psychology of any ethical or licensing issue I have yet encountered.”

Many Ohio residents and groups also submitted letters to the Board, encouraging it to fully investigate Dr. James’s conduct, including veterans, psychologists, ethicists, and leaders of the faith community.

On January 28, 2011, over seven months after receiving the complaint, the Ohio State Board of Psychology dismissed it without justification, stating only that it was “unable to proceed to formal action” on the matter. Prior to its dismissal, the Board refused Complainants’ multiple offers to answer questions of law or fact. It also refused Complainants’ offers to assist in finding witnesses to further corroborate the allegations.

On April 13, 2011, the Complainants filed a writ of mandamus in the Franklin County Court of Common Pleas, arguing that the Board failed in its duty to investigate the serious and well-documented allegations of misconduct by a state licensee. The Complainants asked the Court to compel the Board to investigate the complaint or provide reasons for its seemingly arbitrary dismissal. The Board has moved to dismiss the case. Complainants are currently awaiting a decision by the Court.

The Board’s actions follow the trend of other state licensing boards across the country that, by refusing to hold health professionals responsible for their role in torture, are resisting their duty to protect the public.

Dr. James continues to hold a license to care for patients in Ohio.

CASE HISTORY:

Ohio State Board of Psychology

Complaint to the Ohio State Psychology Board (July 7, 2010)

Franklin County Court of Common Pleas

Verified Complaint for Writ of Mandamus (April 13, 2011)
Relators’ Memorandum of Law in Support of the Verified Complaint (April 13, 2011)
Respondent’s Motion to Dismiss Complaint in Mandamus (May 18. 2011)
Memorandum Contra of Relators to Respondent’s Motion to Dismiss (July 20, 2011)
Reply Memorandum on the Ohio Psychology Board’s Motion to Stay Discovery (August 17, 2011)
Reply Brief of Ohio State Board of Psychology (August 17, 2011)
Motion of Relators to Request Oral Hearing on Respondent’s Motion to Dismiss and Motion to Stay Discovery (August 22, 2011)
Ohio State Board of Psychology’s Memorandum Contra to Relators’ Request for an Oral Argument (August 29, 2011)
Relators’ Reply Memorandum on Request for Oral Hearing on Respondent’s Motion to Dismiss and Motion to Stay Discovery (September 8, 2011)

Share this:

Email
Print
Facebook34
Twitter7
Digg
Reddit
StumbleUpon

Like this:
5 Responses to Larry James, Psychologist

Pingback: Accountability for Torture Begins at Home | International Human Rights Clinic at Harvard Law School

Pingback: Ohioans Continue to Fight for Torture Accountability Close to Home | International Human Rights Clinic at Harvard Law School

Pingback: It’s What Makes This Place Go… | International Human Rights Clinic at Harvard Law School

Pingback: Psychologists and Advocates Call for Annulment of American Psychological Association Report on Military Interrogations | International Human Rights Clinic at Harvard Law School

Pingback: Psychologists Demand Accountability for Torture from APA Ethics Committee | International Human Rights Clinic at Harvard Law School
fruhmenschen

Postby NeonLX » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:33 pm

Love the story about the nuke plant & difficulty of finding water to cool it. There is all kinds of symbolism in that.
America is a fucked society because there is no room for essential human dignity. Its all about what you have, not who you are.--Joe Hillshoist
NeonLX

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby fruhmenschen » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:17 am

19 nuclear reactors dumped in the Arctic by Russia?
http://prn.fm/2013/07/21/lifeboat-hour-072113/

Also see
http://earthfirstnews.wordpress.com/201 ... he-arctic/

Any voter and taxpayer wanting to evolve as a smart criminal justice consumer
should acknowledge ownership of the criminal justice system.
One of the first questions I found myself asking when I became involved
in becoming a smart criminal justice consumer is does the criminal justice system,
really the people working in the system, create more disorder than the
criminal justice system gives.

I soon had to resolve the question : Did taxpayer funded FBI agents assassinate President Kennedy?
http://frontburner.dmagazine.com/2013/0 ... ssination/

see link for full story

Up to 400 Expected For November Conference at The Adolphus Hotel on JFK Assassination
July 17th, 2013

Debra Conway calls herself a happy housemaker, with lots of children and grandchildren. But she’s also a proficient organizer—and a dogged critic of the status quo. So, since 1995, Conway has run JFK Lancer Productions & Publications, a “historical research company specializing in the administration and assassination of President John F. Kennedy.” For nearly 20 years, Southlake-based JFK Lancer (Lancer was the late president’s Secret Service code name) has also put on a Dallas historical research conference focusing on the assassination.

This year’s gathering, on the 50th anniversary of JFK’s murder, is scheduled for Nov. 21-24 at The Adolphus hotel. The organizers are expecting 350 to 400 people to attend, and it doesn’t appear to be a conclave of whack-jobs, either. Attendees will include academics, medical doctors, and JFK-assassination eyewitnesses, and Jefferson Morley—a veteran Washington journalist who’s written for Slate, the New Republic and the Washington Post—will be the keynote speaker. “We’re not, ‘the UFOs did it.’ We are a very conservative group,” Conway says. The November event at the Adolphus will be “a way for people to better understand the documentation of the case, and where we are today compared to investigations in the 1960s.”

Gunther Weil received his PhD from Harvard in 1965.
His mentors at Harvard were Timothy Leary and Ram Dass( Richard Alpert)
He has done some good work in providing maps for the
evolution of human consciousness. http://www.blogtalkradio.com/qigongmast ... nther-weil

see link for full story
http://www.irishcentral.com/news/FBI-ag ... 41761.html

Do you know who the FBI SAC is in your city?
Do you know where FBI agents got the explosives to blow up
the basement of the World Trade Center in 1993?
Do you know the names of FBI agents who blew up the World Trade Center in 1993?
Do you know where FBI agents got Nano Thermetic explosives to blow
up the World Trade Center towers on 911?
Do you know the names of the FBI agents who blew up the World Trade Center towers?
A good criminal justice consumer would want to know how his taxes are being used, eh?

FBI agent gave Whitey Bulger explosives to send to IRA
Bulger IRA links laid bare in Boston trial and recent book
Sunday, July 21, 2013

An FBI agent gave Whitey Bulger 40 pounds of plastic explosives most of which was sent to the IRA a key witness in the Whitey Bulger trial has stated.

Steve Flemmi is the prosecution key witness already serving life without parole who says he accompanies Bulger on most of his murder sprees, including the strangling of Flemini’s own girlfriend, Debra Davies, because she knew the two men were FBI informers.

On Friday Flemmi testifies that in the 1980s, FBI agent John Newton gave him and Bulger a case of C-4 explosives to send to the IRA.

“It was a surprise when we got it,” Flemmi old the court adding that he believed that Newton, who was a former Green Beret, got the plastic explosives while in military training.

Newton had the explosives in his South Boston home and arranged for the two gangsters to come and pick it up. Newton has denied the accusation.

Links to the IRA have surfaced in the trial. Bulger was very close to senior IRA figure Joe Cahill, meeting him frequently in Boston after he smuggled him across the border from Canada on a supporters bus when the Boston Bruins hockey team were playing a Canadian side.

Bulger idolized Cahill according to Kevin Cullen and Shelley Murphy two Boston Globe writers who have written a definitive book on Bulger called “Whitey Bulger”

Bulger had an Irish passport obtained legally through his grandparents nationality in 1987.

Following the explosives hand over, the IRA worked with the Bulger gang on getting more weapons which ended when the Valhalla trawler left Gloucester, Mass in 1984 chock full of guns and explosives for the IRA. The 7 and half tons of weapons was estimated to have cost $1 million dollars

LINK DE JOUR

http://transgenderlawcenter.org/archives/8633

Laurel Sweet should be nominated for a Pulitzer Prize for her keen eye and investigative reporting. Why do I always hear the sound of one hand clapping after reading her articles about the FBI and Whitey Bulger Crime Families? Let me give Laurel a assist and correct her contextual errors. Context assist #1. For all the millions of words written about the Bulger and FBI crime families nothing will ever get fixed. C'mon do yo really expect Markey, Kennedy, Brown, Obama and the other local, state and national Ka Ka Pols to do anything when they are up against a 20,000 strong taxpayer funded death squad called the FBI? Did I mention an additional 10,000 shock troops in reserve called the Association of Retired FBI Agents? When interviewed for the Frontline documentary THE SECRET FILE OF J EDGAR HOOVER Vice President Mondale and former FBI agent Liddy discuss the great success FBI agents have blackmailing politicians see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFBxvpmzkfQ When blackmailing does not work taxpayer funded FBI agents resort to committing voter fraud like the did in Cincinnati when they got caught. see https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http ... r22/12-14/ Want some more context Laurel? How about FBI agents collaborating with the Mafia and organized crime that is systemic throughout every FBI office in every state? Taxpayer funded FBI agents always used the Mafia as 3rd party vendors to kill people like union organizers and political activists including President Kennedy and Martin Luther King. This is called Plausible Denial so FBI agents can distance themselves from the crime and it won't be traced back to them. More recently FBI agents have fully embraced the US Military who has provided the same services to the FBI as the Mafia with the added bonus of providing high tech explosives like nano thermetic explosives and anthrax biological weapons that were used in 911 and the Satchel Charges used in the Oklahoma City bombing."

see link for full story

Flemmi: Zip crowed, ‘I’m one of the gang’
Saturday, July 20, 2013
PrintEmail Comments (10)
By:
Laurel J. Sweet
James “Whitey” Bulger and his murderous right hand Stephen “The Rifleman” Flemmi were able to evolve into monsters right in front of the FBI “because we were central to their mandate to get rid of the Mafia,” Flemmi testified yesterday.
And they had no better puppet to help them bend law enforcement to their will than Special Agent John “Zip” Connolly, who went from selling out his federal badge for gifts of cash and diamond rings from the generous Winter Hill Gang to being forced to beg Bulger and Flemmi for an allowance.
In an interesting twist, Flemmi said when Bulger first started pestering him in the mid-1970s to meet Connolly, “I suspected I was being set up.”
Flemmi eventually folded because he realized “an FBI source would be a big thing.”
Bulger, charged with the gangland slayings of 19 men and women, insists he was not a top-echelon rat for the FBI and that Connolly, now incarcerated in Florida for second-degree murder, fabricated his 700-page informant file.
Flemmi , however, testified he and Bulger were “sometimes” in touch with Connolly on a weekly basis.
“I’m one of the gang!” Flemmi, on his second day on the witness stand at U.S. District Court, claimed Connolly once exclaimed after the Irish mob kingpins gave him $50,000. They soon realized, however, they were turning Connolly into a spoiled child.
“When he was going to work in his office he was dressing better than any other agent,” Flemmi, 79, said. “He had a nice car. Eventually he bought a boat.”
- See more at: http://bostonherald.com/news_opinion/lo ... 1rVXe.dpuf
Flemmi: Zip crowed, ‘I’m one of the gang’
Saturday, July 20, 2013

Laurel J. Sweet

James “Whitey” Bulger and his murderous right hand Stephen “The Rifleman” Flemmi were able to evolve into monsters right in front of the FBI “because we were central to their mandate to get rid of the Mafia,” Flemmi testified yesterday.

And they had no better puppet to help them bend law enforcement to their will than Special Agent John “Zip” Connolly, who went from selling out his federal badge for gifts of cash and diamond rings from the generous Winter Hill Gang to being forced to beg Bulger and Flemmi for an allowance.

In an interesting twist, Flemmi said when Bulger first started pestering him in the mid-1970s to meet Connolly, “I suspected I was being set up.”

Flemmi eventually folded because he realized “an FBI source would be a big thing.”

Bulger, charged with the gangland slayings of 19 men and women, insists he was not a top-echelon rat for the FBI and that Connolly, now incarcerated in Florida for second-degree murder, fabricated his 700-page informant file.

Flemmi , however, testified he and Bulger were “sometimes” in touch with Connolly on a weekly basis.

“I’m one of the gang!” Flemmi, on his second day on the witness stand at U.S. District Court, claimed Connolly once exclaimed after the Irish mob kingpins gave him $50,000. They soon realized, however, they were turning Connolly into a spoiled child.

“When he was going to work in his office he was dressing better than any other agent,” Flemmi, 79, said. “He had a nice car. Eventually he bought a boat.”
- See more at: http://bostonherald.com/news_opinion/lo ... 1rVXe.dpuf

see link for full story

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 05658.html

July 19, 2013

Gangster Says Whitey Bulger Killed to Protect FBI Link
Stephen Flemmi Says His Girlfriend Was Strangled After She Learned of Connection
Admitted former gangster Stephen Flemmi said Friday that his alleged longtime criminal partner, James "Whitey" Bulger, was so concerned about protecting his secret relationship with a federal agent that he strangled Mr. Flemmi's girlfriend after she learned of the connection.
"He said he wanted to kill her," Mr. Flemmi said of Debra Davis, who was killed in 1981 at age 26. Mr. Flemmi was testifying for the second day in the long-anticipated trial of Mr. Bulger, alleged to be one of the city's most notorious gangland figures.
Earlier

Potential Witness Against Bulger Found Dead

"I couldn't do it," Mr. Flemmi said twice. "He said, 'I'll take care of it.' He grabbed her around the throat and strangled her."
After Ms. Davis was killed in an empty South Boston house and her lifeless body was taken to the basement, Mr. Bulger went upstairs to lie down, Mr. Flemmi said. "I just cleaned up and did what I had to do," he said.
Prosecutors say the men were once inseparable, but they hadn't seen each other in nearly two decades before Mr. Flemmi first took the stand Thursday. Mr. Bulger has pleaded not guilty to a 32-count racketeering indictment that claims he played a role in 19 murders and led a criminal organization that controlled extortion, drug dealing and loan sharking throughout Boston from the 1970s through the mid-1990s.
The government alleges Mr. Bulger was an informant for the Federal Bureau of Investigation and was aided by his corrupt handler. Mr. Bulger has vehemently denied cooperating with the FBI.
Mr. Flemmi, nicknamed "the Rifleman," pleaded guilty in 2003 to participating in 10 murders, including Ms. Davis and his own stepdaughter. His deal spared him the death penalty, and he is serving a life sentence in an undisclosed location.
Mr. Flemmi said the gangsters maintained a fund with $50,000 to $250,000 to buy equipment and bribe law enforcement. He has said that both he and Mr. Bulger were FBI informants, mostly passing along tips about the Italian Mafia. Mr. Bulger also gave his handler a diamond ring and an Alcatraz belt buckle, Mr. Flemmi said.
But, Mr. Flemmi said, the relationship went both ways: He alleged five agents and one supervisor accepted cash, and some passed along information about investigations and other inside tips.
The supervisor has admitted to taking payoffs. Four of the agents, now retired, have denied accepting bribes from Mr. Bulger. His FBI handler, John Connolly, was convicted of racketeering but has long maintained his innocence. The FBI declined to comment Friday on the allegations.
Mr. Flemmi said his alleged partner decided to kill Ms. Davis after Mr. Flemmi accidentally told her about their relationship with Mr. Connolly, whom he said accepted more than $230,000 during the association. Mr. Flemmi said Mr. Bulger was concerned about her lack of discretion and worried she would jeopardize the relationship with Mr. Connolly.

In 1988 after contacting more than a half dozen professors at various colleges in New England I called
Professor Howard Zinn at Boston University and asked him if he would help me organize the 1st
National Conference Investigating Crimes Committed by FBI agents. I had never heard of Howard Zinn
and if I did had forgotten his name ,when someone suggested I call him.
He took my phone call and set up an appointment when I could drive the 165 miles to Boston from Maine
and meet with him. I showed up for the meeting on the appointed day. He asked me what I needed from him.
After I spoke he picked up the phone and within a half hour 3 Boston University students joined our meeting and together we organized out 1st conference . The next 11 conferences were held at Bates College.

see link for full story

http://www.commondreams.org/view/2013/07/19

Published on Friday, July 19, 2013 by Zinn Education Project
Indiana’s Anti-Howard Zinn Witch-hunt
by Bill Bigelow

Howard Zinn, author of A People’s History of the United States, one of the country’s most widely read history books, died on January 27, 2010. Shortly after, then-Governor of Indiana Mitch Daniels got on his computer and fired off an email to the state’s top education officials: “This terrible anti-American academic has finally passed away.”

But Gov. Daniels, now president of Purdue University, was not content merely to celebrate Howard Zinn’s passing. He demanded that Zinn’s work be hunted down in Indiana schools and suppressed: “The obits and commentaries mentioned his book ‘A People’s History of the United States’ is the ‘textbook of choice in high schools and colleges around the country.’ It is a truly execrable, anti-factual piece of disinformation that misstates American history on every page. Can someone assure me that is not in use anywhere in Indiana? If it is, how do we get rid of it before more young people are force-fed a totally false version of our history?”

We know about Gov. Daniels’ email tantrum thanks to the Associated Press, which obtained the emails through a Freedom of Information Act request.

Scott Jenkins, Daniels’ education advisor, wrote back quickly to tell the governor that A People’s History of the United States was used in a class for prospective teachers on social movements at Indiana University.

Daniels fired back: “This crap should not be accepted for any credit by the state. No student will be better taught because someone sat through this session. Which board has jurisdiction over what counts and what doesn’t?”

After more back and forth, Daniels approved a statewide “cleanup” of what earns credit for professional development: “Go for it. Disqualify propaganda and highlight (if there is any) the more useful offerings.”

Daniels recently defended his attack on Zinn’s work, telling the Associated Press, “We must not falsely teach American history in our schools.” In a letter posted on his Purdue University webpage, Daniels claimed that, “the question I asked on one day in 2010 had nothing to do with higher education at all.” Daniels should go back and read his own emails.

There are so many disturbing aspects to this story, it’s hard to know where to begin.

The first, of course, is Daniels’ gleeful, mean-spirited reporting of Zinn’s death. Anyone with even a passing familiarity with Howard Zinn’s career knows that his great passions were racial equality and peace. Finding cause for joy in the death of someone whose life was animated by confidence in people’s fundamental decency is shameful.

As someone who spent almost 30 years as a high school history teacher, I’m amused by the impoverished pedagogical vision embedded in Daniels’ emails and subsequent defense. Daniels wants Zinn’s A People’s History of the United States banned from the curriculum, so that the book is not “force-fed” to students. Governor Daniels evidently assumes that the only way one can teach history is to cram it down students’ throats. To see some alternative ways to engage students, Daniels might have a look at our lessons at the Zinn Education Project, which use Zinn’s People’s History of the United States in role plays, in critical reading activities, to generate imaginative writing, and to search for the “silences” in students’ own textbooks.

Take for example the last textbook I was assigned as a teacher at a public high school in Portland, Oregon, American Odyssey, published by Glencoe/McGraw-Hill. In the book’s one thousand pages, it includes exactly two paragraphs on the U.S. war with Mexico—the war that led to Mexico “ceding,” in the polite language of school curricula, about half its country to the United States. American Odyssey does not quote a single Mexican, a single soldier, a single abolitionist, a single opponent of the war. Well, in fact, the textbook doesn’t quote anyone. As one of my students pointed out when we read the book’s dull passages in class, “It doesn’t even view it as a war. It’s a situation.”

As the Zinn Education Project reveals regularly in its If We Knew Our History column, the version of U.S. history taught in the textbooks produced by giant corporations is anything but “true.” This scant treatment of such an important event in U.S. and Mexican history is one reason why teachers search out alternatives like A People’s History of the United States, which includes a full chapter on the conflict, focusing especially on President Polk’s hollow justifications for war, the anti-war resistance, and the human impact of the war. Unlike the gray prose of textbooks like American Odyssey, Zinn’s chapter on the U.S. war with Mexico—“We Take Nothing by Conquest, Thank God”—is filled with quotes from soldiers and poets, surgeons and abolitionists, generals and journalists, clergymen and presidents. Every passage reminds young people that war is much more than a “situation.”

“We must not falsely teach American history in our schools,” said Daniels to the Associated Press, implying that the true history is to be found in the officially adopted textbooks. As the Zinn Education Project reveals regularly in its If We Knew Our History column, the version of U.S. history taught in the textbooks produced by giant corporations is anything but “true.” The corporate textbooks hide the breadth of U.S. military and economic interventions throughout the world; they ignore the roots of today’s environmental crises; they refuse to explore the origins of the vast wealth inequality in the United States; and the textbooks neglect the role of social movements throughout U.S. history, instead focusing on famous individuals; thus, they fail to nurture an activist sensibility—a recognition that if we want the world to be better, then it’s up to us to make it better.

This is a point Howard Zinn emphasized when he spoke to teachers at the 2008 National Council for the Social Studies conference in Houston—some of them from Indiana!—not much more than a year before he died. Zinn said: “We’ve never had our injustices rectified from the top, from the president or Congress, or the Supreme Court, no matter what we learned in junior high school about how we have three branches of government, and we have checks and balances, and what a lovely system. No. The changes, important changes that we’ve had in history, have not come from those three branches of government. They have reacted to social movements.”

Governor Daniels’ advisers evidently found no evidence that Zinn’s A People’s History of the United States was in use in K-12 schools in Indiana. I guess they didn’t look hard enough. There are more than 300 Indiana teachers registered at the Zinn Education Project to access people’s history curriculum materials to “teach outside the textbook.” And these are only the teachers who have formally registered at the site; many more share people’s history-inspired lessons.

And at the Zinn Education Project we’ve heard all week long from Indiana teachers, professors, and parents who have committed themselves to work against censorship in K-12 schools. Their defiance is reminiscent of Indiana’s Green Feather Movement that challenged the McCarthy-era attempt to ban Robin Hood from the elementary school curriculum in 1954. What began as the anonymous posting of green feathers on bulletin boards by a few students at Indiana University spread to campuses across the country. As Howard Zinn wrote at the end of his autobiography, You Can’t Be Neutral on a Moving Train, “If we remember those times and places—and there are so many—where people have behaved magnificently, this gives us the energy to act, and at least the possibility of sending this spinning top of a world in a different direction.”

see link for full story
http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-new ... tleblowers

Report: Oakland PD fails to shield whistle-blowers
07/20/2013

OAKLAND, Calif.—A court-appointed monitor said the Oakland Police Department is failing to protect officers who report internal wrongdoing, a newspaper reported Saturday.

The San Francisco Chronicle ( http://tinyurl.com/l8xtw3j) reported that the monitor's 97-page quarterly report submitted to a federal judge last week says the department is not meeting the standards of whistle-blower protection that it agreed to as part of a legal settlement.

Oakland Police Sgt. Charles O'Connor is on medical leave after he said he experienced retaliation for reporting that his partner had beaten a drunken and handcuffed prisoner. O'Connor said someone hung a towel with tobacco spit on it outside his locker door and left crumpled papers about department regulations about retaliation around his desk.

Monitor Robert Washaw called the incident "the most serious" episode in recent years of internal retaliation within the department. Police experts say failing to protect whistle-blowers fosters a code of silence that leads to the toleration of misconduct.

The Oakland Police Department agreed to dramatic reforms after settling a lawsuit alleging widespread police abuse and misconduct for $10.5 million a decade ago.

see link for full story
http://www.collapsenet.com/free-resourc ... -americans

Saturday, 20 July 2013 16:16
A Single NSA Wiretap Could Lead To Snooping On '2.5 Million Americans'

“At a recentjudiciary hearing on the wide-ranging surveillance practices of the NSA revealed a staggering practice called "three-hop analysis."

Three-hop analysis means that when the NSA requests justification for tapping a "suspected terrorist," they can also tap that suspect's contacts, then their contacts, and the contacts of their contacts.

Pete Yost of the Boston Globeexplained the scope of these taps:

If the average person calls 40 unique people, three-hop analysis could allow the government to mine the records of 2.5 million Americans when investigating one suspected terrorist.

Theoretically, at that rate it would take tapping only about 150 suspected terrorists could cover the entire population of the United States.

When NSA Deputy Director John C. Inglis tried to justify the practice of gathering all communications of people three-degrees separated from the suspect at the hearing, Representative Randy Forbes, a Republican from Virginia, interrupted him.

‘‘I said I wasn’t going to yell at you and I’m going to try not to. [The bulk collection] is exactly what the American people are worried about. That’s what’s infuriating the American people. They’re understanding that if you collect that amount of data, people can get access to it in ways that can harm them.’’

See also:

NSA allowed to extend Verizon trawl

“The National Security Agency has been allowed to extend its dragnet of the telephone records of millions of US customers of Verizon through a court order issued by the secret court that oversees surveillance.

In an unprecedented move prompted by the Guardian's disclosure in June of the NSA's indiscriminate collection of Verizon metadata, the Office of the Director of National Intelligence (ODNI) has publicly revealed that the scheme has been extended yet again.

The statement does not mention Verizon by name, nor make clear how long the extension lasts for, but it is likely to span a further three months in line with previous routine orders from the secret Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court (Fisa).

The announcement flowed, the statement said, from the decision to declassify aspects of the metadata grab "in order to provide the public with a more thorough and balanced understanding of the program".

According to Democratic senator Dianne Feinstein, the Verizon phone surveillance has been in place – updated every three months – for at least six years, and it is understood to have been applied to other telecoms giants as well.”
fruhmenschen

Postby fruhmenschen » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:31 am

see link for full story
http://www.gsnmagazine.com/node/30908?c ... tification

Law enforcement must act soon to comply with the FBI’s database security mandate
Mon, 2013-07-22 02:43 PM

An important deadline is fast approaching for federal, state, local and tribal law enforcement agencies. Starting September 30, 2014, the FBI will require advanced authentication for anyone accessing its criminal justice information (CJIS) system to keep highly sensitive law enforcement data from falling into the wrong hands.

Most law enforcement agencies and officers are familiar with authentication -- it’s the way you prove your identity to an information system or service provider. In the case of CJIS, this is usually done with a login ID (username) and password. The very nature of the data contained in the CJIS database makes it a prime target for cybercrime.

The mandate for advanced authentication provides for additional security by recommending an “authenticator” in addition to the login ID and password. This is also referred to as two-factor authentication, because identity must be proven in two ways. For example, when you withdraw cash at an ATM, your ATM card (something you have) and your PIN code (something you know) are the two factors that provide you with advanced authentication.

With the FBI’s deadline just around the corner, here are some key considerations for how to implement advanced authentication and satisfy the mandate in your agency.

How to implement advanced authentication

There are two main areas of focus that must be addressed in order to implement the advanced authentication requirement. You must provide users with authenticators, and you need to upgrade your identity and access management infrastructure.

Authenticators can be pocket-sized tokens that provide a one-time password (OTP), or they can be smart cards.

OTP tokens -- These devices display a numeric password that changes with every login. Pressing a button on the token gives a unique code, which is used to access the device. OTP tokens ensure interoperability with devices and can be conveniently implemented.

Smart cards with digital certificates -- A smart card is a driver’s license-sized piece of plastic that contains a microprocessor that can process and store data. Smart cards are a well-established digital security technology that today protects more than two billion mobile phones and 600 million credit cards worldwide.

There are three steps to ensuring your authenticators will interact with your identity and access management infrastructure:

Modify your systems and networking infrastructure to accept advanced authentication;
Implement an advanced authentication server;
Upgrade desktops, laptops and police cars to work with authenticators.

As law enforcement agencies move to comply with the CJIS mandate, they will need a staff rollout plan. This plan should include:

A registration process -- Enroll participants and issue their authentication method; attach the authenticator/certificate to the individual’s identity;

Staff training -- Explain why advanced authentication is necessary and how to set up and use the authenticator;

Administrator and helpdesk training -- Ensure that staff members know what to do in the case of lost or stolen credentials, a forgotten PIN code or if the authenticator is not working;
fruhmenschen

Postby fruhmenschen » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:36 pm

What do you do in this case?
see link for full story

http://www.dallasobserver.com/2013-07-2 ... onspiracy/

The City of Dallas' Anti-Conspiracy Conspiracy
Dallas' handling of JFK anniversary: an enigma wrapped in a big wad of dumb.
Thursday, Jul 25 2013

Dallas Mayor Mike Rawlings, talking last week about the worries some people harbor concerning the 50th anniversary of the JFK assassination in Dealey Plaza, recalled his own recent visit to President Obama's second inaugural in Washington. When a pro-life person climbed a tree and attempted to disrupt the inaugural, Rawlings told me that people in the Dallas group exclaimed, "'That's what's going to happen, that's what's going to happen'" in Dealey Plaza in November.

When I repeated the mayor's anecdote to John Judge, head of the Coalition on Political Assassinations, one of the groups that will be banned from the plaza by police cordon that day, he laughed. "If you make us do it, yeah," Judge said. "I mean, that's the point. We don't normally climb up in a tree."
Daniel Fishel

It's only four months from the 50th anniversary of the JFK assassination, and absolutely nothing has been resolved about access to Dealey Plaza on that day, virtually guaranteeing the kind of messy showdown City Hall fears most.

The plaza will be shut down for two weeks, a week on either side of November 22, with access and control granted to only one group, a private committee calling itself only "The 50th" because they don't even want the word "assassination" spoken. Is that crazy enough for you?
fruhmenschen

Postby justdrew » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:57 pm

it's bizarre the lengths they're going to to lock down the square. It's outrageous. but obviously they're going to do whatever they hell they want and everyone else can go fuck themselves. I would prefer to see this disrupted and taken over by a million man march, but who am I kidding? Not gonna happen.

Anyway, what's important is that the "city leaders" in charge get their way and that their Will is in no way resisted successfully. Because that's the lesson of America.
By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby fruhmenschen » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:23 pm

cross posted at FBI WATCH

LINK DE JOUR

http://www.infowars.com/army-conducts-n ... n-chicago/

see link for full story
http://www.mainjustice.com/2013/07/24/d ... nvictions/

DOJ Waives Procedural Bars in FBI Review of Hair Analysis Convictions
July 24, 2013 9:20 am
The Department of Justice has made the unusual decision to waive procedural bars to re-open more than 2,000 criminal investigations so that the FBI can perform microscopic hair analysis of crime scene evidence.
“Many stakeholders in the system are beginning to accept the reality that we need to make it possible for inmates to raise their claims so that they can be decided on the merits,” said Peter Neufield, co-founder and co-director of the Innocence Project, an organization focused on exonerating individuals who have been wrongfully convicted.
In 1996, the FBI began to rely on DNA evidence in addition to microscopic hair comparison analysis. The hair analysis had previously been used alone to determine a positive association between known hair samples and crime scene evidence.

“There are standards for science [that have] to do with the ability to recreate the results you get,” said Sean D. O’Brien, a law professor at the University of Missouri, Kansas City.
“Microscopic hair analysis often involved faulty conclusions,” he said.

see link for full story
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/alissa-es ... 45114.html
An Uncomfortable Silence: James Comey, the FBI and Racial Profiling
07/24/2013

On Thursday, July 18th, the Senate Judiciary Committee voted unanimously to approve the nomination of James Comey as FBI director. The nomination will now be voted on by the entire Senate. Unlike other confirmations in recent memory Comey's has advanced smoothly, and he is almost certain to be confirmed in the coming week.

Comey's confirmation will come amid a vigorous national debate around racism and racial profiling in law enforcement. Unfortunately, though Comey has made public comments that suggest a tacit endorsement of racial profiling, neither the media nor the Senate has asked him to address these issues. Those who believe in civil liberties and racial justice should find this troubling.

With dual credentials as a seasoned prosecutor and supposed civil liberties hero, Comey has inspired confidence on both sides of the aisle. Still, many Judiciary Committee senators used his confirmation hearing two weeks ago to probe questionable aspects of his background and push for reforms within a secretive federal agency. As a result, Comey has now said on record that he considers waterboarding an illegal form of torture, that his private-sector background will not discourage him from fighting white-collar crime, that he will work for greater transparency around Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) Court decisions, and that he is committed to protecting government whistleblowers. These discussions will set the tone of Comey's tenure as FBI director following his (likely) confirmation, and his answers will be crucial tools for future civil liberties advocacy.

And so it was disconcerting to hear the complete silence in the confirmation hearing around issues of racial profiling by the FBI, and by agencies Comey has led in the past. It was especially uncomfortable at several moments in the hearing when Comey and the senators started talking about racial profiling -- without acknowledging or perhaps even realizing it. Let's read between the lines of a few of those conversations:

Senator Cruz: "I have been concerned about the current administration's balance of the rights of law-abiding citizens on the one hand, and the willingness to pursue serious terrorist threats on the other... Do we have your commitment that you would not let political correctness impede efforts to connect the dots and prevent terrorism?"

Mr. Comey: "Certainly."

From the context of his comments, it's clear that Cruz was really asking: will Comey maintain, and even scale up, the profiling of Muslims? The FBI is hardly known for paralyzing political correctness; on the contrary, reports about FBI profiling of Muslims abound. Using informants and ethnic mapping, the FBI has performed broad, warrantless surveillance of communities and institutions, including mosques and student organizations. It has also engaged in what many view as entrapment of vulnerable Muslim individuals, providing them with ideas and weapons for terrorist acts with the aim of arresting them for those acts. These tactics threaten Muslim Americans' first amendment rights, and have caused a broad mistrust of law enforcement in Muslim communities.

Comey's straightforward "certainly" is especially troubling in an era when the Department of Justice's 2003 Guidance Regarding the Use of Race by Federal Law Enforcement Agencies, which directs the behavior of FBI agents, contains large loopholes that fail to protect Muslims and other groups commonly perceived as potential "terrorists." The FBI needs a leader who acknowledges the pervasiveness of religious and ethnic profiling, and who reins in this destructive practice instead of condoning it.

Senator Klobuchar: "I know one of the things that hasn't come out is the work that you did in Richmond when you started Project Exile, a successful program that involved federal, state, and local partnership... Can you talk about that work and how that will inform your work as head of the FBI?"

Comey: "Richmond, Virginia, had a horrific violent crime problem, isolated especially in the minority community. And the idea behind Project Exile was, what if we used the federal penalties that came with gun possession offenses -- possession by a felon, possession by a drug user, drug dealer, stiff penalties -- what if we use those to try and change criminal behavior and make the gun a liability in the eye of a criminal? ... As we talked about earlier in response to other questions, the FBI has a vital role to play in criminal enforcement."

http://thetrialofwhiteybulger.com/a-sho ... ase-10337/
The Trial of Whitey Bulger
Whitey Bulger, the FBI and the Justice System

see link for full story

http://www.courthousenews.com/2013/07/24/59628.htm

Wednesday, July 24,

Bickering and Infighting at the FBI
An FBI agent sued the Department of Justice, claiming superiors sabotaged his career with false accusations - including publishing false profiles of him and his wife on adult websites - as revenge for a complaint he made against a fellow agent.
Sean E. Edwards sued Attorney General Eric Holder and the Justice Department in Federal Court.
Edwards claims the DPJ demoted him and discriminated against him because he is a man, to appease a female agent, whom he calls Agent X.
Edwards says in the lawsuit that the problems began around October 2010, when his wife anonymously made a complaint against Agent X, claiming X was violating FBI rules by driving with her children in an FBI vehicle.
Edwards claims Agent X immediately blamed him for the complaint.
"Thereafter, she would regularly complain to her superior, the same 'SSA' (Supervisory Special Agent) as plaintiff's and also up the local chain of command including the Special Agent In Charge of the Kansas City Office ('SAC') about plaintiff," the complaint states. "She accused the plaintiff of inappropriate conduct directed at her. She attributed false, damaging and misleading conduct to him, made unfounded, false and unverifiable claims against plaintiff. She also claimed to be the victim of these allegations and acts which she attributed to the plaintiff; all to his further damage and detriment.
"Agent 'X' succeeded in persuading her superiors that she was the actual victim of
plaintiff's alleged conduct when she falsely and frequently claimed that plaintiff was personally responsible for her OPR [Office of Professional Responsibility], that he had and was following her; that he had and was stalking her; that he refused to leave her alone and had displayed violent propensities while in her presence. She even claimed that acts that plaintiff took to advance his career were hostile conduct and part of plaintiff's plan to harm her. She advised management of her fears which influenced plaintiff's superior's negative and adverse conduct towards him, while providing preferential treatment to Agent 'X'."
(The phrase "that plaintiff was personally responsible for her OPR" apparently means: for the complaint to the OPR.)
Edwards claims that Agent X was relentless with her unfounded complaints.
"These false and unsubstantiated claims continued almost on a weekly basis; and each time a false allegation was made, SSA accused plaintiff of having committed the act," the complaint states. "In each instance the allegations were factually unsupported and only based on 'feelings.' Yet, each time they were made, SSA seem to accept as truthful Agent 'X' claim asserted and always confronted and challenged the veracity of the plaintiff who always denied the false allegations of wrongdoing. During each episode, plaintiff would first deny the claim, then indicate that these were acts of harassment and insist that SSA or upper management investigation [sic] the basis of the claims against him. Each of these denials and request for investigation by plaintiff were separate protected acts and based on information and belief, were never acted on by the defendant. These accusations and the failure to investigate the same, as plaintiff had requested, discriminate against the plaintiff based on his gender when compared with hers and denied plaintiff the equal treatment that he had a right to expect."
Edwards says he applied for a promotion in January 2011, then was told the position was being reposted because he was the only applicant. He claims he was told not to resubmit his application.
"The SSA made it clear that he preferred someone other than plaintiff for the positions [sic] and stated that '... the timing would not be good' if plaintiff would be selected," the complaint states. "Plaintiff agreed not to resubmit his application during the reposting so as not to further antagonize SSA or Agent 'X' and as an aide to having the issue behind him. The reposting of the position and the discouraging of plaintiff from submitting an application was done to specifically appease and serve the interests of Agent 'X' and to discriminate against the plaintiff based on his gender when compared with hers and denied plaintiff the equal treatment that he had a right to expect." (Ellipsis in complaint.)
Edwards claims the situation escalated in June 2010 after Agent X's former husband discussed with FBI co-workers his concerns about Agent X's new boyfriend, as the ex's children would be in the boyfriend's company.
Edwards says his own wife was also friends with Agent X's former husband.
Unknown to Edwards, he says, his wife sent the former husband a text saying he had a right to be concerned about the boyfriend.
Edwards says Agent X immediately demanded that he be transferred off the squad.
"Based on information and belief, Agent 'X' retaliated against plaintiff and his wife by posting or causing the posting on adult website 3 false profiles of plaintiff and his wife," the complaint states. "When plaintiff learned of these derisive profiles he reported them to the security officer of the FBI local office as well as his SSA and ASAC. Plaintiff also reported that he suspected that Agent 'X' was responsible for these postings on an adult website. SSA promptly notified Agent 'X' of plaintiff's allegations and while she denied any knowledge of the same the false profile postings were taken down shortly thereafter. Whatever inquiry or investigation defendant performed was not disclosed to the plaintiff but to the best of plaintiff's knowledge nothing came of the efforts of the defendant."
On June 30, 2011, Edwards claims, he was transferred and grounded as a pilot and leader of the aviation department in Kansas City. He claims the FBI used his wife's text as the final basis for the demotion.
Edwards claims the harassment continued after his transfer. He says his department was subjected to a surprise inspection, which it passed, in order to appease Agent X.
"After being transferred to the downtown headquarters of the defendant, executive management and other personnel deliberately subjected plaintiff to retaliation and reprisal when they committed wrongful acts designed to undermined [sic] plaintiff's career in addition to permitting false and demeaning rumors to be spread throughout the workplace. Management even authored and published several false and erroneous electronic communications ('EC') that attributed emotional issues to the plaintiff which claimed he was hostile and combative and implied that plaintiff may not be fit for duty as an FBI agent. They actively sought to oust plaintiff from his position with the FBI by submitting these false EC's to other branches of the FBI. First, they sent a copy of a libelous EC to Employee Health Care Program Unit ('HCPU') where plaintiff's fitness for duty would be evaluated and a permanent file would exist on plaintiff. Executive management's schemed for HCPU to make a determination that plaintiff was not fit to be a Special Agent of the FBI and thereby justify the termination of plaintiff. In addition, these EC's were also submitted to the Analysis and Investigation Unit ('AIU'), the unit which investigates, among other things, traitors and spies. The referral to AIU had the ability of being a career ender but had the immediate effect of preventing plaintiff from having unsupervised access to the secure work area ('SCIF') where plaintiff had been reassigned to work at his new duty assignment. This caused plaintiff to be held in a lower esteem by his new coworkers. Of a more lasting consequence, the referral to AIU would in the future serve as a barrier to subsequent advancement in the FBI, and also taint employment opportunities in the law enforcement field when plaintiff was to leave the FBI."
Edwards claims he was ordered to undergo a routine counterintelligence polygraph exam at 2 p.m. on July 7, 2011. Three hours before the polygraph test, he says, he found out his mother was having emergency heart surgery in St. Louis. Despite asking for the test to be postponed or rescheduled so he could get to his mother, Edwards says he was forced to wait until 3:30 to take the test.
When he returned to work on July 13, 2011, his SAC discussed the polygraph that Edwards had taken and passed, but it showed he was under a great deal of stress. Edwards said he told the SAC about his mother's circumstances and that the delay of the test increased his stress. He claims the SAC told him that because of the stress, the FBI's Health Services unit was asked to determine if Edwards was fit to carry a weapon.
"On July 18, 2011, while reviewing his local personnel file, plaintiff found an electronic communication ('EC'), a document referred to as serial #44, prepared by ASAC 3 and approved by the SAC, dated July 11, 2011 but containing information from both July 12 and July 13, 2011. (This verified that the SAC and ASAC 3 were plotting the Fit for Duty evaluation prior to the meeting of July 13, 2011)," the complaint states.
"This document was a request to have plaintiff evaluated and determine if he were Fit for Duty. It was also filled with false and untrue assertions designed to damage plaintiff. Many of these allegations were attributed to the EAP counselor who had no legal authority to even disclose any of the information attributed to her. When the EAP counselor was asked about the allegations, she vociferously denied staying what was attributed to her and also claimed that they were 'made up' by ASAC 3. Upon finding this false and misleading EC in his local personnel file, plaintiff made a request under the Freedom of Information Act to obtain a complete copy of his personnel file."
EAP is not defined in the lawsuit.
Edwards claims the Justice Department deliberately misled him about why he wasn't allowed access to the secure work area. He claims he was told that his access problem was due to a paperwork issue, though it actually stemmed from the open investigation caused by the false document known as serial #44.
He claims that a second Fit for Duty evaluation request containing the same false allegations as serial #44 was submitted on Sept. 27, 2011.
"Even though plaintiff successfully passed the polygraph examination, by denying him access to the SCIF defendant intentionally brought plaintiff's plight to the attention of all of his new coworkers in his new unit, many of whom, based on information and belief, were told of the Agent 'X' rumors as to why plaintiff was no longer a pilot with the offsite unit, why he had been transferred and why he did not have a security clearance to enter the SCIF," the complaint states. "Plaintiff was also not assigned any work responsibilities and had to create work for himself so that his periodic evaluation would at least meet expected levels of performance. In October, 2011, HCPU determined plaintiff did not require a Fit for Duty evaluation, and in November, 2011 plaintiff was finally cleared by AIU to have access to the SCIF without supervision, a full 4 months after having been pretextually transferred to his new duty assignment."

FBI names Vincent Lisi as special agent for the Boston office

July 24, 2013 -

http://www.dailyjournal.net/view/story/ ... ton-Chief/

BOSTON — The FBI's Boston office has a new leader.
Vincent Lisi (LEE'-see) will succeed Richard DesLauriers as special agent in charge of the Boston office. DesLauriers announced last month he was retiring after more than 26 years with the FBI. The appointment was announced Wednesday by FBI director Robert Mueller.
Lisi has been with the FBI since 1989, serving most recently as deputy assistant director of the Counterintelligence Division in Washington, D.C.
In 2001, Lisi helped lead the investigation of the 2001 Anthrax letter attacks.
He also served as a legal attache in Yemen

Subject: The City of Dallas' Anti-Conspiracy Conspiracy - Page 1 - News - Dallas - Dallas Observer

see link for full story

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/201 ... chief.html

New Central Ohio FBI Chief Says Cyber Threats Will Eventually Surpass Terrorism Dangers
Wednesday July 24, 2013 Terrorism currently is the No. 1 threat here in central Ohio, but cyber crimes are a close second.

That's the opinion of the new head of the FBI in central Ohio, Kevin Cornelius who has been named the Special Agent in Charge.

Cornelius used to run the Southern Ohio Joint Terrorism Task Force ten years ago. He said cyber threats will no doubt surpass terrorism dangers someday.

"We're losing data. We're losing money. We're losing innovative ideas, and that's something that we see across America. The intrusions outstrip what we have seen in the past, and it's time for us to take a look at it as a community, as a network, to prevent intrusions," Cornelius said.

Cornelius spoke to the group InfraGard - security specialists in the public and private sector who share cyber threat information with the FBI.

http://www.dallasobserver.com/2013-07-2 ... onspiracy/
or
http://tinyurl.com/kckmnfw
fruhmenschen

Postby justdrew » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:24 pm

apparently the semi-senile announcer during a Rangers (baseball) game last night, kept referring to the game field as "the grassy knoll"
By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby fruhmenschen » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:53 pm

We brought investigative reporter Greg Flannery and Leonard Gates to speak at our conference dealing with crimes committed by FBI agents in the early 1990's. Here is a new article written by him.
see link for full story

http://article25news.wordpress.com/2013 ... -long-ago/

Privacy Died Long Ago
06/03/2013

The great forgotten Cincinnati wiretap scandal

By Gregory Flannery

Americans no longer assume their communications are free from government spying. Many believe widespread monitoring is a recent change, a response to terrorism. They are wrong. Fair warning came in 1988 in Cincinnati, Ohio, when evidence showed that wiretapping was already both common and easy.

Twenty-five years ago state and federal courtrooms in Cincinnati were abuzz with allegations of illegal wiretaps on federal judges, members of Cincinnati City Council, local congressional representatives, political dissidents and business leaders.

Two federal judges in Cincinnati told 60 Minutes they believed there was strong evidence that they had been wiretapped. Retired Cincinnati Police officers, including a former chief, admitted to illegal wiretapping.

Even some of the most outrageous claims – for example, that the president of the United States was wiretapped while staying in a Cincinnati hotel – were supported by independent witnesses.

National media coverage of the lawsuits, grand jury hearings and investigations by city council and the FBI attracted the attention of U.S. Sen. Patrick Leahy (D-Vermont) and the late U.S. Sen. Paul Simon (D-Ill.).

As Americans wonder about the extent to which their e-mails, cell-phones and text messages are being monitored, they would do well to look back at a time before any of those existed. Judging by what was revealed in Cincinnati, privacy died long before anyone had ever heard of Osama bin Laden or al Q’aeda.

Turbulence

In 1988 Leonard Gates, a former installer for Cincinnati Bell, told the Mount Washington Press, a small independent weekly, that he had performed illegal wiretaps for the Cincinnati Police Department, the FBI and the phone company itself.

A week after the paper published his allegations, a federal grand jury began hearing testimony.

Gates claimed to have performed an estimated 1,200 wiretaps, which he believed illegal. His list of targets included former Mayor Jerry Springer, the late tycoon Carl Lindner Jr., U.S. District Judge Carl Rubin, U.S. Magistrate J. Vincent Aug, the late U.S. Sen. Howard Metzenbaum (D-Ohio), the Students for a Democratic Society (an anti-war group during the Vietnam War), then-U.S. Rep. Tom Luken (D-Cincinnati) and then-President Gerald Ford.

A second former Cincinnati Bell installer, Robert Draise, joined Gates, saying he, too had performed illegal wiretaps for the police. His alleged targets included the Black Muslim mosque in Finneytown and the General Electric plant in Evendale. Draise’s portfolio was much smaller than Gates’s, an estimated 100 taps, because he was caught freelancing – performing an illegal wiretap for a friend.

Charged by the FBI, Draise claimed he had gone to his “controller” at Cincinnati Bell, the person who directed his wiretaps, and asked for help. If he didn’t get it, he said, he’d tell all. When the case went to federal court, Draise didn’t bother to hire an attorney. He didn’t need one. In a plea deal, federal prosecutors dropped the charge to a misdemeanor. Found guilty of illegal wiretapping, his sentence was a $200 fine. The judge? Magistrate J. Vincent Aug.

If Gates and Draise had been the only people to come forward, they could easily be dismissed as cranks – disgruntled former employees, as Cincinnati Bell claimed. But some police office officers named by Gates and Draise confirmed parts of their allegations, insisting, however, that there were only 12 illegal wiretaps. Other officers not known to Gates and Draise also admitted to illegal wiretaps. Some of the officers received immunity from prosecution in exchange for their testimony. Others invoked their Fifth Amendment right not to incriminate themselves.

“Due to the turbulent nature of the late ’60s and early ’70s, wiretaps were conducted to gather information,” said a press release signed by six retired officers. “This use began in approximately 1968 and ended completely during the Watergate investigation.”

The press release, whose signers included former Police Chief Myron Leistler, listed 12 wiretaps, among them “a black militant in the Bond Hill area” and a house on either Ravine or Strait streets rented by “the SDS or some other radical group.”

The retired cops’ lawyer said there were actually three Cincinnati Bell installers doing illegal wiretaps, but declined to identify the third.

The retired officers denied knowledge of “any wiretaps involving judges, local politicians, prominent citizens and fellow law enforcement officers or city employees.”

Getting rid of Aug

Others had that knowledge, however.

Howard Lucas, former security chief at the Stouffer Hotel downtown, said he caught Gates and three cops trying to break into a telephone switching room shortly before President Gerald Ford stayed at the hotel.

“I said, ‘Do you have a court order?’ and they all laughed,” Lucas told the Mount Washington Press.

The four men left. But they returned.

“A couple days later, in the back of the room, I found a setup, a reel-to-reel recorder concealed under some boxes,” Lucas said.

Ford stayed at the Stouffer Hotel in July 1975 and June 1976 – two years after the Watergate scandal, when Cincinnati Police officers claimed the bugging ended.

Then there was the matter of a former guard at the U.S. Courthouse downtown. He said he had found wiretap equipment there in 1986 and 1987, just a year before the wiretap scandal broke.

“I heard conversations you wouldn’t believe,” he said. “I heard a conversation one time. they were talking about getting rid of U.S. Magistrate Aug.”

The wiretapping started with drug dealers and expanded to political and business figures, according to Gates. In 1979, he testified, he was ordered to wiretap the Hamilton County Regional Computer Center, which handled vote tabulations. His handler at the phone company allegedly told Gates the wiretap was intended to manipulate election results.

“They had the ability to actually alter what was being done with the votes. … He was very upset through some of the elections with a gentleman named Blackwell,” Gates testified.

J. Kenneth Blackwell is a former member of Cincinnati Council, and 1979 was an election year for council.

Something went wrong on Election Night, Gates testified. His handler at the phone company called him.

“He was panicking,” Gates testified. “He said we had done something to screw up the voting processor down there, or the voting computer.”

News reports at the time noted an unexpected delay in counting votes for city council because of a computer malfunction.

Cincinnati Bell denied any involvement in illegal wiretapping by police or its own personnel. Yet police officers, like Gates, testified the police received equipment – even a truck – and information necessary to effectuate the wiretaps. The owners of a greenhouse in Westwood even came forward, saying the police stored the Cincinnati Bell truck on their property.

‘Say it louder’

Gates claimed that his handler at Cincinnati Bell repeatedly told him the wiretaps were at the behest of the FBI. He named an FBI agent who, he said, let him into the federal courthouse to wiretap federal judges.

Investigations followed – a federal grand jury, which indicted no one; a special investigator hired by city council, the former head of the Cincinnati FBI office; the U.S. Justice Department, sort of.

U.S. Sen. Paul Simon asked then-Attorney General Richard Thornburgh to look into the Cincinnati wiretap scandal. Federal judges, members of Congress and even the president of the United States had allegedly been wiretapped. Simon’s effort went nowhere. His press secretary told the Mount Washington Press that it took three months for the Attorney General to respond.

“The senator’s not pleased with the response,” Simon’s press secretary said. “It didn’t have the attorney general’s personal attention, and it said Justice (Department) was aware of the situation, but isn’t going to do anything.”

The city of Cincinnati settled a class-action lawsuit accusing it of illegal wiretapping, paying $85,000 to 17 defendants. It paid $12,000 to settle a second lawsuit by former staffers of The Independent Eye, an underground newspaper allegedly wiretapped and torched by Cincinnati Police officers in 1970.

Cincinnati Bell sued Leonard Gates and Robert Draise, accusing them of defamation. The two men had no attorneys and represented themselves at trial. Hamilton County Common Pleas Judge Fred Cartolano refused to let the jury hear testimony by former police officers who had admitted using Gates and Draise and Cincinnati Bell equipment. In a 4-2 vote, the jury ruled in the phone company’s favor, officially adjudging the two whistleblowers liars.

During one of the many hearings associated with the wiretap scandal, an FBI agent was asked what the agency would do if someone accused the phone company of placing illegal wiretaps. He testified the FBI would be powerless; it needed the phone company to check for a wiretap.

“It would go back to Bell,” the agent testified. “We would have no way of determining if there was any illegal wiretapping going on.”

The FBI agent was the person Gates had accused of opening the federal courthouse at night so he could wiretap federal judges.

One police sergeant offered no excuses for the illegal wiretapping. Asked why he didn’t bother with the legal niceties, such as getting a warrant, as required then by federal law, he said, “I didn’t deem it was necessary. We wanted the information, and went out and got it.”

At one point, covering the scandal for the Mount Washington Press, I received a phone call from a sergeant in the Cincinnati Police Department. He invited me to the station at Mount Airy Forest, where he proceeded to wiretap a fellow police officer’s phone call. I listened as the other officer talked to his wife.

“Say hello,” the sergeant told me.

I did. There was no response.

“Say it louder,” the sergeant said.

I did. No response.

“You can hear them, but they can’t hear you,” the sergeant said. “Any idiot can do a wiretap. You know that’s true because you just saw a policeman do it.”

Privacy is dead. Its corpse has long been moldering in the grave.
fruhmenschen

Next

Return to General Discussion