The United States is not Fascist

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: The United States is not Fascist

Postby Novem5er » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:40 pm

I actually agree!

I usually pooh-pooh Obama conspiracy theories from the Right because I heard it all before about Bush from the Left, and it's why I'm not convinced that Trump is going to dramatically shift American culture or power structures, were he to be elected. Despite Trump's very dark acceptance speech, America is NOT in a bad place right now - for the already powerful. The stock market is way up, profits are up, and we have a growing number of millionaires and billionaires. Now, for you and me, America may be a rigged shit-show right now, but that doesn't really matter. The core power structures of America are not going to be shaken up because nobody on top really wants any change.

That doesn't mean people shouldn't be afraid - but again - it's us low folk who will suffer continued abuse. If I were a Mexican immigrant, I would be afraid of a Trump presidency. If I were a transgender person, I'd be afraid of anything that gives the GOP national power. If I were a black man, I'd be afraid of Trump's pledge to be the Law & Order candidate - only because that often translates increasing institutional racism instead of decreasing it.

But here's the thing, both parties try to split the population and target smaller groups, while the overall machinations of running the country stay the same. Working class white-folk from rural states might feel targeted by Hillary and I'm not saying oh poor them - but I am acknowledging that both sides have legitimate fears that will conjure up opposition votes; all the while the globalist corporate and military agenda will move forward either way. Even if Trump stands in its way, as his speech tried to promote, he will be defeated by those same interests.
Novem5er

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Karmamatterz » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:17 pm

AD,,have you read Family of Secrets? It's all about the Bushy "dynasty" and brings to light a lot of very ugly and deep secrets. It's lacking in some ways, especially post 911, but a good read still. Made think Poppy is much more of a fascist creep than I ever did before.
Karmamatterz

Postby JackRiddler » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:34 pm

This thread is trapped in a reification of a word, as if whether the label applies determines what happens or how bad something is. It doesn't work like that.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby American Dream » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:37 pm

I haven't read it but was well familiar with the spooky/creepy side of the Bushes back then. The all--or-nothing conspiracy propaganda (based generally on true facts)... had me convinced that GWB would be the last president, that armed men with machine guns would soon be searching us on every corner, etc.

I don't blame anyone and I have no regrets.

Karmamatterz » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:17 pm wrote:AD,,have you read Family of Secrets? It's all about the Bushy "dynasty" and brings to light a lot of very ugly and deep secrets. It's lacking in some ways, especially post 911, but a good read still. Made think Poppy is much more of a fascist creep than I ever did before.
Last edited by American Dream on Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
American Dream

Postby American Dream » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:46 pm

Reification is an occupational hazard here, but I do think meanings matter. Otherwise, how are we going to distguish between run of the mill fascist organizing of angry white men- and others- from more institutional power, which adopts fascist rhetoric and styling but may be more oriented towards manipulating our reactionary/chauvinist side than giving it free rein.

"Fascist" is much more than an epithet to be deployed against people we disagree with.This distinction has very important implications for strategy and tactics, on both fronts: against the hard right Bourgeoisie and against non-state actors and movements of the fascist variety.

JackRiddler » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:34 pm wrote:This thread is trapped in a reification of a word, as if whether the label applies determines what happens or how bad something is. It doesn't work like that.
American Dream

Postby JackRiddler » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:01 pm

American Dream » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:46 pm wrote:Reification is an occupational hazard here, but I do think meanings matter. Otherwise, how are we going to distguish between run of the mill fascist organizing of angry white men- and others- from more institutional power, which adopts fascist rhetoric and styling but may be more oriented towards manipulating our reactionary/chauvinist side than giving it free rein.

"Fascist" is much more than an epithet to be deployed against people we disagree with.This distinction has very important implications for strategy and tactics, on both fronts: against the hard right Bourgeoisie and against non-state actors and movements of the fascist variety.

JackRiddler » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:34 pm wrote:This thread is trapped in a reification of a word, as if whether the label applies determines what happens or how bad something is. It doesn't work like that.

Please don't be pedantic with me.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

JackRiddler

Postby American Dream » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:09 pm

I do think that the meaning of the term "fascist" matters and that it should not be used loosely as a general epithet against authoritarian or bigoted type characters we don't like. I also see at least two kinds of "fascists": powerful mucky-mucks with institutional power and grassroots/third force militants of the far right.

Given that I think these differences seem important- and I am also very conscious that I am not speaking to only one person here- I'm not seeing a specific way of expressing such ideas that is significantly better. My ultimate hope is for dialogues that shine light on that murky gray area where it is admittedly hard to parse differences, in order to develop more tools for understanding: what is not fascist, what could potentially become fascist, what is fascist, and what just may not fit into such categories.
American Dream

Postby Belligerent Savant » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:40 pm

American Dream » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:46 pm wrote:"Fascist" is much more than an epithet to be deployed against people we disagree with.This distinction has very important implications for strategy and tactics, on both fronts: against the hard right Bourgeoisie and against non-state actors and movements of the fascist variety.

Not all people (by 'people', I assume you're referencing elected officials/"public servants" and/or -- your usual primary focus -- individuals representing certain political movements) we disagree with are necessarily fascist, needless to say (I'll grant that I may be taking your statement too literally, however).
Such binary thinking is, well, fascist.

I'd be interested in understanding the "strategy and tactics" aspect, however. Do they include addressing the root cause of 'fascist' movements/ideologies? In other words, WHY is there an apparent upswing in fascist thinking in America today? What is antifa doing to address this, specifically?

Largely rhetorical, though I'm genuinely curious, as I admittedly don't have my finger on the pulse of the primary drivers of 'antifa' movements (other than reacting to reactionaries, which -- as has been alluded before -- can easily be misinterpreted as simply another 'flavor' of the same mindset being railed against).
Last edited by Belligerent Savant on Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Belligerent Savant

Postby JackRiddler » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:44 pm

The primary driver of the antifa movements as I have known them is defense against real, organized if mostly lumpen nationalist forces in many countries who call themselves fascist, pay homage to classical fascist ideology, and (most saliently) practice violence against their otherized scapegoats, generally targeting black or immigrant people at random or specific leftists/activists (and thus also antifa).

This should not be a handicap to discussing fascism as less or more appropriate descriptor for historical phenomena, institutional inclinations, playbooks, logics that lead in certain directions -- or as a type of government system in some countries that governments of liberal democracies have frequently supported within their geostrategies.

But terms are flexible and often poorly applied, so you get confused debates like in this thread. Fascism for example has been opportunistically taken up by right-wing pundits to hurl at anything they don't like (PC fascism, feminazis, etc.).

I dislike the definitive statement, essentializing both "United States" and "Fascist" (the US is not capital-F fascist but it sure has a lot of fascism in it, and the definitive statement implies this is somehow wrong to point out.) I prefer the much smarter thread that started a year earlier that simply asks what fascism is.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=35352

As an example, you could also argue for the thesis (and some do seriously) that the United States is not capitalist, since there are so many varieties thereof and no pure form has ever (or could have ever) existed.

Terms are never going to fit perfectly to perceptions or realities, so the discussion is important.

JackRiddler

Postby Belligerent Savant » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:13 pm

My holistic view is that attempts to define a currently popular ideology (or frame current ideology into historical/pre-set definitions), though understandable as a means to assign a value to a phenomenon, is markedly less constructive than identifying the root causes of these (historically cyclical) upswings and/or addressing methods for neutralizing long-term 'real life' impact on citizenry and global communities (particularly when the govt in question is an Empire with global reach).

Organization needs to start somewhere, however.

(i've now surpassed my mental masturbation quota for the week. Shutting down.)
Belligerent Savant

Postby American Dream » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:45 pm

For informational purposes only. Do not try this at home:

Salvage Magazine on the nascent potential embryonic incipient threat of Trumpist fascism

Louis Proyect

Salvage Magazine is one of a number of Marxist journals that have sprouted up in recent years joining Jacobin, N+1, and Endnotes. I am sympathetic to all of these publications even though I reserve the right to criticize them as the need arises. This is one of those occasions prompted by Salvage’s editorial on the Donald Trump campaign, which unfortunately exaggerates its fascist potential. I have been struck by the tendency of British Marxists, such as Salvage’s editors and some FB friends, to line up on this question with American liberals at places like Salon.com that has been pushing the Trump as fascist line as if it were Germany in 1931.

...To answer those who insist on Trump being measured against a “Trotskyist check-list”, Salvage says that the standard of comparison for the 20s and 30s should be the KKK rather than the Nazi party. Now this would be an interesting discussion if the Salvage editors were willing to host it. It gets rather complicated in fact. In the 1930s FDR, the Bernie Sanders of his day, was in a bloc with the politicians in the South whose social base was identical to that of the KKK. Was FDR therefore worse than Donald Trump? A social fascist, so to speak? Inquiring minds would love to know.

What it all boils down to is this:

Though there is no official Trumpian black-shirt movement, it seems too sanguine and formalist not to consider the role of Trump-encouraged violence against the left at rallies, and the armed militias which are explicitly supporting him, such as ‘the Oath Keepers’, as potentially nascent forms of such organised violence. In this context, we should not be at all surprised by the announcement in mid-March 2016 of the formation of ‘The Lion’s Guard’ – the name itself redolent of inter-war kitsch – a militia ‘to provide security protection to innocent people who are subject to harassment and assault by Far-left agitators’ at Trump’s rallies. At the time of writing, the group is debating ‘uniform suggestions’.

This sort of febrile fear-mongering is hardly worth commenting on. Once again resorting to the hedging strategy of calling the Oath Keepers a “nascent” fascist group, there is no attempt to put this rightwing group into context. Unlike Golden Dawn or any other European fascist movement, they have yet to violently attack a single African-American. In fact, Morris Dees, the head of the Southern Poverty Law Center, an alarmist outfit of long standing, told Salon that he does not even consider them to be racist.

In terms of the Lion’s Guard, that was disbanded days after it was announced. In fact, it never amounted to anything except a Twitter account. On Twitter, I could have formed an account called The Communist Workers Militia but that does not mean it has any substance. It sounds scary but on the Internet nobody can tell if you are a dog, after all.

Salvage believes that unlike what happened in Europe in the 1920s and 30s, Trumpism could triumph without ruling class support and then rule with their “accommodation”. People like Lindsey Graham might badmouth Trump on CNN or Fox News but once Trump is settled into the White House, he will go along to get along.

I wonder if the Salvage comrades have ever taken five minutes to think of what it would mean to have something roughly equivalent to Nazi Germany with Donald Trump as the American Führer.

These are the sorts of changes we can expect to see:

The constitution would be suspended and the USA would be ruled by a single party called The Iron Fist or something along those lines. Centrist Republicans and virtually the entire Democratic Party would be arrested and put into concentration camps along with every “civil society” figure that defended democratic rights. George Soros would be picked up in the middle of the night and hauled off to Rikers Island where he would be put into a cell and beaten mercilessly until he made a confession on TV that Donald Trump was essential to preserve the vital bodily essence of the country as General Jack D. Ripper said in “Doctor Strangelove”.

A new government agency would have to be created in order to “purify” the educational system and the information available to the population. All the leftists would be removed from Columbia University, NYU et al and send to prison or killed including Eric Foner and Gayatri Spivak. The media would have to be revamped totally. The NY Times, the Washington Post, CNN, MSNBC, et al would be taken over by Trump loyalists who would now write articles that extol the maximum leader’s every policy decision. Amazon.com would be put under the control of a government official who would go through the database and delete every “dangerous” book starting with Noam Chomsky and drilling down to those that are even a bit questionable like The Hunger Games novels or Allen Ginsberg’s poetry books.

The military would be brought into line with new fascist realities. Those Generals who have made statements about refusing to carry out illegal orders under a Trump presidency would be rounded up and either imprisoned or killed. They would be replaced by those who were obedient to the maximum leader and willing to carry out his instructions that NATO be liquidated. (Of course, there are any number of CounterPunch authors who might cheer over this.)

The cops and army would invade Latino neighborhoods and round up people without proper papers and send them back to where they came from. Ooops. I forgot. That is current policy under Obama.

Excerpted from: https://louisproyect.org/2016/04/07/sal ... t-fascism/

Last edited by American Dream on Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
American Dream

Postby Luther Blissett » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:04 pm

Belligerent Savant » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:40 pm wrote:.
American Dream » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:46 pm wrote:"Fascist" is much more than an epithet to be deployed against people we disagree with.This distinction has very important implications for strategy and tactics, on both fronts: against the hard right Bourgeoisie and against non-state actors and movements of the fascist variety.

Not all people (by 'people', I assume you're referencing elected officials/"public servants" and/or -- your usual primary focus -- individuals representing certain political movements) we disagree with are necessarily fascist, needless to say (I'll grant that I may be taking your statement too literally, however).
Such binary thinking is, well, fascist.

I'd be interested in understanding the "strategy and tactics" aspect, however. Do they include addressing the root cause of 'fascist' movements/ideologies? In other words, WHY is there an apparent upswing in fascist thinking in America today? What is antifa doing to address this, specifically?

Largely rhetorical, though I'm genuinely curious, as I admittedly don't have my finger on the pulse of the primary drivers of 'antifa' movements (other than reacting to reactionaries, which -- as has been alluded before -- can easily be misinterpreted as simply another 'flavor' of the same mindset being railed against).

Because of my experiences at the DNC, I started looking around for people disrupting these far-right strains of populism. I am seeing groups and hearing from individuals making organized moves to disrupt fascist and far-right communities (mostly online, but certainly counter-protesting too) whether this is direct digital attacks + leaks, infiltration + agitation, exposure, mediation, pacification, injection of progressive ideas + exposure to other cultures, culture jamming, satirizing, or propagandizing, etc. I think it's really important to directly engage some of the more virulent far-right trumpists and hinder their ability to hurt other people.
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Postby American Dream » Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:34 pm

http://navigatingthestorm.blogspot.com/ ... -2016.html

Short Commentary Reflections on the 2016 RNC/DNC and Electoral Politics

Friday, July 22nd, 2016
The US Left must get prepared to fight on two fronts simultaneously from here on out. On the one hand, we must get prepared to fight the advance of an emergent white supremacy, in its fascist form, which might in fact be even more virulent and violent if Trump doesn't win. And on the other hand, we better get prepared to fight the most aggressive and malicious form of neo-liberal and neo-conservative governance Wall Street can buy, which will be fiercely adverse to any resistance from the left.

Clarity of vision and clarity regarding our position are absolutely needed to chart clear paths of effective, autonomous resistance in the days ahead.

Which conversely means all those who support the DNC and the coronation of HRC are apparently "well adjusted" supporters of the US settler-colonial project and its mission of imperialist conquest and domination.

Tuesday, July 26th, 2016
I love how the Corporate media, of both flips of the bourgeois coin, so easily reduce the struggles being waged by Bernie delegates down to psychological issues, particularly issues of "adjustment."

Thursday, July 28th, 2016
From Candice Rose "Your privileged if you think imperialism is gonna work for you!!"

Thursday, July 28th, 2016
On the Fascist fear mongering being Waged by the Democrats: We are being asked to fight the threat of Fascism being imposed upon everyone (meaning a larger proportion of white people drawn from the petit bourgeois class and the professional sectors of the working class) within the territories claimed by the US government versus accepting its ACTUAL perpetuation against the colonized, subjugated and exploited people's and classes contained within those same borders (i.e. the overwhelming majority of Indigenous, New Afrikan, Xican@/Mexican@, Borinquen, Hawaiian, etc.).

Let's be clear about the illusion of choice as it relates to the totality of the social relations and social dynamics in this empire. There has never been "democratic space" for some, and only limited "democratic space" for many (ending capitalism, colonialism, and imperialism is not and will not be on a ballot). Weather the right populist wins or the neoliberal warhawk wins, what "democratic space" remains is going to be further restricted, as it has been by all branches of the settler-colonial state since 2001 (and long before).

We must not forget, nor forgive, the constant and utter TERROR that many of us are structurally constrained by and live with every second of our lives out of fear of being fired and made homeless, of being locked down or lynched by a settler mob or the police, or set up, disappeared or assassinated by the FBI, DEA, ATF, Border Patrol, and Homeland Security, and much more at the hands of the bosses and big brother. The promotion of Fear (Trump is the Devil incarnate) or the Glorification of US Imperialism (the police are our heroes and the military is the greatest treasure of the empire) won't absolve the cold reality.

And let's also be honest with ourselves, the strategy of supporting the lesser evil over the past 50 years has only pushed an already reactionary settler-colonial society, further and further to the right. If we are going to do anything to reverse this historic trajectory, revolutionary forces are going to have to do some things we have failed do since the 1950's and 60's, and that is paint a clear picture of an alternative future, organize millions of people to not only to support it, but to autonomously implement its programmatic features, and to fight like hell to overturn the liberal bourgeois order and all its deviations.

Posted by Kali Akuno
American Dream

Postby American Dream » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:51 am

Eternal Fascism and the Southern Ideology

Jeremy Brunger

Umberto Eco's 1995 essay "Ur-Fascism" informally outlines the most striking qualities of fascistic theory and practice. It remains one of the most popular tool-kits for intellectuals in discovering where the barbarity of fascism might once again materialize, for Eco was convinced fascism did not die at the end of the second World War. If there is an "eternal fascism" inherent to Western life, the critical observer must ask: in which groups is it most fostered? Is it limited to bald-headed neo-Nazis manufacturing methamphetamine by moonlight, the poor white lumpenproletariat of godforsaken boondocks, the aged reactionaries of the Mediterranean and the Rhine? To the chagrin of sanity, the evidence suggests otherwise: one can trace the fascist tone to one of the most politically active regions of the United States. The American South features in abundance all the tendencies of proto-fascism, from its enduring historical disadvantage following Reconstruction, reverence for the redemptive firearm and the punitive crucifix, hegemonic tendencies in matters of race and religion, and perhaps most importantly, the affinity for hero-worship. If fascism finds its formal renaissance anywhere in the twenty-first century, it will be in the Southern Ideology, which still mutters vaguely the threat that "the South will rise again," confuses faith in the God of Abraham for the will to power over man, and sees fit to solve its social ills with paranoid gun-toting, capitalist republicanism, and social excommunication rather than the humane critical understanding of the Other.

To begin this analysis of the Southern Ideology, it is necessary to point out that "ideology" is not identical with "culture." Culture is a metaphor quite aptly likened to the situation of a bacterium being cultured in a petri dish; the bacterium can sense nothing other than that substance in which it is being grown, and as such, does not recognize it as anything but a natural, eternal verity. To humanize the metaphor, consider ideology to be the words written on the walls of the petri dish. Then consider these words are inscribed in culture only by those who hold power. As such, all Southerners are not fascists-many, perhaps most, are well-distanced from this theory. The ideology is fostered by, and fosters, those already in power, those not citizens by default but rather citizens by assertion.

Eco's first tenet of "eternal fascism" has it that

The first feature of Ur-Fascism is the cult of tradition. Traditionalism is of course much older than fascism. Not only was it typical of counter-revolutionary Catholic thought after the French revolution, but it was born in the late Hellenistic era, as a reaction to classical Greek rationalism... This new culture had to be syncretistic. Syncretism is not only, as the dictionary says, 'the combination of different forms of belief or practice;' such a combination must tolerate contradictions. Each of the original messages contains a silver of wisdom, and whenever they seem to say different or incompatible things it is only because all are alluding, allegorically, to the same primeval truth. As a consequence, there can be no advancement of learning. Truth has been already spelled out once and for all, and we can only keep interpreting its obscure message.

Such a description no doubt boggles the mind of any native Southerner. Traditionalist conservatism is the dominant political form from Florida to the majority of Appalachia to Tex-Arkana. The reigning political agenda, stemming from the mid-century Republican platform onto the neoconservative administration of former President Bush, sees modernism as something to be defended against, as though the progressive agenda were intimately tied to some imaginary Red Plot. Since the 2000s, the Southern peculiarity has been nationalized. Any politician antagonizing traditional values will not be elected to office; nor will any non-Christian politician survive the culture of criticism pertaining to his religion. Tradition is seen as possessing more utility than mere historical value, while progressiveness and modernism are seen as dangerous attempts to re-instate state socialism. In the familial sphere, the traditional patriarch-submissive wife-obedient children triad still stands dominant, while non-traditional families, like homosexual or poly-amorous families, are seen as undesirable, confused, and confusing. Home ownership is viewed as a key to political participation, with proletarian and other non-propertied classes being relegated to the ideological back-burner. There is no vivid unionization movement, nor political support for the welfare state. In fact, attacking the foundations of the welfare state appears to be one of conservativism's chief weapons in his political arsenal-macroeconomics of the flunking polity is still seen as a microeconomic moral infirmity. All of these developments are seen-once again-as outgrowths of communist subversion dating from the mid-century, or as otherwise foreign intrusions into the classic Southern community. Of course, such forays into the 1950's Golden Age are based on mythological assumptions of communitarian solidarity rather than statistical analysis of real historical social relations, when broken families, impoverished districts, and moral panics defined social life as much in the past as they do in the present. Romantic histories-the gallant South, the mystical Pacific-conceal and apologize for peasant suffering.

The most obvious symptom of this ideological syncretism is the marriage of biblical Christianity and politico-economic conservatism. Especially within the Fundamentalist strain, biblical morality posits that poverty is less a moral problem than a problem in distributive justice; yet the conservative critique of poverty lays its blame on sinful individuals. That the poor ought to be supported by the wealthy does not pass muster in the conservative worldview, no matter how much it thinks itself biblically grounded. Both the communism of the early Christians and the socialism of nineteenth-century Christianity are cast aside in pursuing Christian capitalism (a distinctly twentieth-century phenomenon). These contradictions stand to Eco's reason-truths are not dialectical and do not come from debate, but rather are found in sola scriptura biblical exegesis of a characteristically conservative pattern. It does not matter that state welfare programs are categorically more effective than church services in alleviating local working-class poverty: it only matters, for the Southern conservative, that state intervention is destructive by definition. Compelling comparisons might be made of historical feudal social relations to the Third Estate and the modern status of poverty in the South, given that nobility and the clerical class-when not engaged in class warfare-saw themselves as sole paternal caregivers to the poor. Limited-government ideologies proliferate, insisting the government is not designed to care for the well-being of its people in the aggregate, but rather to bolster and maintain the property relations of its upper class and maintain their singular dominance in the most impoverished region of the country: the sprawling hills and mountains of the South.

Eco continues his critique, saying that

Traditionalism implies the rejection of modernism. Both Fascists and Nazis worshiped technology, while traditionalist thinkers usually reject it as a negation of traditional spiritual values. However, even though Nazism was proud of its industrial achievements, its praise of modernism was only the surface of an ideology based upon Blood and Earth (Blut und Boden). The rejection of the modern world was disguised as a rebuttal of the capitalistic way of life, but it mainly concerned the rejection of the Spirit of 1789 (and of 1776, of course). The Enlightenment, the Age of Reason, is seen as the beginning of modern depravity. In this sense Ur-Fascism can be defined as irrationalism.

While there is not a proper anti-technology movement in the South per se, there is a pervasive climate of anti-intellectualism and anti-scientism, as foremost expressed in the popular disagreement with the neo-Darwinian synthesis. In fact, Tennessee is home to the most aggressive anti-evolution movement of the twentieth century, while Texas is home to the most vocal opponents of the theory of environmental decline as a result of industrial activity. Darwinian-derived evolution, environmental concern, and the more worrying insights of sociology are all seen as species of false consciousness-with some even going so far as to label environmentalism a Marxist invention. The Southern Ideology forgets that, once upon a time, the parsons and the preachers were the only men of letters to be found. Beyond this, the traditionalist identification of self with land is a strong cultural current throughout the rural areas of the region, along with its inevitable accompaniment of xenophobic racism. The homeland institution wars with the anonymous drifters of the city-culture. Given that historical fascism did not, in practice, limit the excesses of capitalism, but merely aimed its roaring engine to the benefit of the state, Eco's position that fascism was not co-incident with capitalism is faulty. Nevertheless, Southern republicanism allies itself wherever possible with high capital, even if it is to the detriment of its population. From its tourist towns to its metropolises, Southern governments support capitalism enthusiastically-usually in the form of importing business for the exploitation of its cheap, half-educated labor force. The irrational practices of racism, patriarchal social relations, and misinterpreted biblical religion all link the American South to Eco's understanding of eternal fascism: just consider the Rebel Flag, a militant relic of the Civil War and reified symbol of slave republicanism, and then consider the tilted swastika of the Germano-fascist regime. The only difference is one can still see the Rebel Flag touted through township and city, pasted on university dorm walls and tattooed on shoulder blades, flashing the ancient petulance in the public eye. The Southern proletarians who exhibit this rebellion live in cramped living quarters even while supporting their betters; in mistaking the cause of the misery in multicultural initiatives and liberal movements toward equality, the poorest in the region bolster the social positions of their real oppressors and universalize squalor among their young in a nationalist delusion.

Continues at: http://www.hamptoninstitution.org/etern ... ology.html
American Dream

Postby American Dream » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:13 am

http://class-struggle-anarchism.tumblr. ... alities-in

Anonymous asked: would there still be different nationalities in communism?

Yeah I think so, personally I don’t have a problem with the concept of nationality as such, my problem is with the idea of the nation as a geographically and ideological fixed and static entity with a defined and policed inside/outside, or the nation as a revolutionary subject etc - but I think you can experience a feeling of nationality which isn’t tied to that kind of project, pretty sure I’ll still be Scottish in a communist society, although the range of meanings and associations that identification has will continue to evolve as it has done throughout it’s existence…

One of the major problems with nation-as-identity is it’s attempt to ‘fix in time’ and fossilize something that is always being reproduced and redefined as time goes on - a problem nationalism tries to solve in every generation in a call to get back to, rediscover or rekindle some lost but essential kernal of national feeling which was never really there in the first place, retrospectively imposed on some time when ‘we were all united’ (in modern days through stuff like remembrance rituals etc)… but an examination of any of these moments always shows that actually ‘national identity’ was in an unstable state of transition then too. So yes to answer your question it’ll exist but it’ll be free of it’s political and ideological anchors which fix, fortify and weaponize it.

American Dream » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:53 pm wrote:I'm in favor of being clear and thoughtful in who/what we define as fascist, though going beyond simply sticking to a historical model from the 30's. I think there can be authoritarianism, nationalism/racism/xenophobia, strong men and etc. without "Fascism" necessarily being the best term to describe a specific phenomenon.
Last edited by American Dream on Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
American Dream

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion