Why Do People Apologize For Russia?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Why Do People Apologize For Russia?

Postby JackRiddler » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:09 pm

DrVolin » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:38 pm wrote:The Russian elites have always natural allies of the Anglo-American elites. This was true every time that push came to shove: 1809, 1914, 1941. Even the Cold War diversion was an engineered stable state between natural allies. It will continue to be true now that the common enemy is China. That's why people apologize for Russia.

I miss you DrVolin. But this only works if you omit the two hot rounds of the "Great Game" in Afghanistan in the 1840s and 1870s, that rather dramatic direct war with Russia in the Crimea in the late 1850s, and the British financing of the Japanese war machine leading up to the 1905 war against Russia. And a lot more than that. Russia was the enemy until just prior to 1914, and that only because Germany was understood to be the greater threat.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby brekin » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:29 pm

8bitagent » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:22 pm wrote:fucking finally. RT exposed and called out for their shit, live on tv. bravo man, bravo.

Yes. That guy should get an award.
If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
I hang onto my prejudices, they are the testicles of my mind. Eric Hoffer
brekin

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Jerky » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:21 pm

Damn, it feels good to be in agreement with you every once in a while, Wombat.

Have you ever tried sitting through an entire episode of Redacted Tonight?

The bogus "woke" accelerationism preached there (precisely because it is bogus... and harmless) rings in the exact same tone I hear emanating from certain acquaintances conversations, which sometimes sound something like:

"Yes yes yes, Trump is an abomination, of course! But if you think about it, the REAL bad guys in all this are Hillary Clinton, anybody still defending her, and President Obama for failing to make Obamacare a universal single payer program."

Cheers!
yer old pal Jerky

Wombaticus Rex » 25 Jul 2013 02:37 wrote:Behold: the power of propaganda. Those billions don't get spent on messaging because it's a corporate culture fad, like cloud computing or "Software as a Service." That shit works and those dividends are huge.

I would submit that precise ambient acceptance (and embrace!) by the US, shall we say, non-critical-thinking Left is largely thanks to RT.COM, which was worth every penny.
Jerky

Postby dada » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:17 am

RT is useful in that it is an easy, clear example of the Propaganda Model of the media at work (as the theory goes, "the societal purpose of the media is to inculcate and defend the economic, social, and political agenda of privileged groups that dominate the domestic society and the state"). The Putin narrative is obvious; manufacturing discontent in the West. Western media manufactures its own narrative. The model is essentially the same, though.

When asked, "How do we get from here, a corporate controlled media, to where we want to be, enjoying a truly democratic and plural media scene?" Part of the response from the authors of Manufacturing Consent was, "We cannot move to a truly democratic and plural media scene without a radical change in the political economy, which is to say, some kind of economic and political revolution. As noted, the existing media and political systems are mutually supportive, so that media change is not on the media’s agenda, nor on the political agenda."

It is nice to imagine that we could indoctrinate freedom and equality through propagandizing a different narrative. However, that kind of goes against the whole nature of freedom and equality, if you think about it.

It would be an easy solution. The reality is the difficult work. As society changes, the media changes. Since they're mutually supportive, it will be a mutual process. Until then, I think it's probably helpful to continue to develop and teach critical reading through example and discussion. Reading between the lines as an exercise. This is why I appreciate when people comment on the articles they post. It encourages analysis, instead of social media-style thumbs ups. A "framework of understanding" is built. That should be ongoing.

This isn't to say that media subversion doesn't have a place in overall strategy. "Tilting at media windmills" is an angle to work. What form the subversion takes is what matters. As we can see, 'post-truth fake-news' only serves to reinforce the propaganda model.
Both his words and manner of speech seemed at first totally unfamiliar to me, and yet somehow they stirred memories - as an actor might be stirred by the forgotten lines of some role he had played far away and long ago.
dada

Postby MacCruiskeen » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:30 am

Why Do People Apologise For Italy? My best pal had his guitar stolen there, yet people still refuse to declare war on the damn place.

It was a good guitar, too, dammit.
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby Sounder » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:51 am

There is no need to apologize for Russia.

Russia helped achieve the liberation of eastern Allepo from outside sponsored headchoppers.

Allepo's liberation is a roadblock to the planned carnage to come and therefor a good thing.

The people that cannot accept this are dyed in the wool western exceptionalists.

Doesn't all that death and destruction just make you feel proud?

Maybe next time, not so many people will find it to be a good idea to get paid to revolt. Assholes hearts are just not in it. :wink

dada wrote...
It is nice to imagine that we could indoctrinate freedom and equality through propagandizing a different narrative. However, that kind of goes against the whole nature of freedom and equality, if you think about it.

Ah, but you can. Any framework for understanding indoctrinates one way or another. While our current split model of reality 'propagandizes' that reality is made up of objects, and that 'success' is measured by ones ability to manipulates those objects, we may still create a model that recognizes that reality is made of relationships, not objects. Only then will we become able to give substance to ideas like freedom and equality.
All these things will continue as long as coercion remains a central element of our mentality.
Sounder

Postby MacCruiskeen » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:07 am

Sounder wrote:we may still create a model that recognizes that reality is made of relationships, not objects

Sounder, have you been reading Whitehead?
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby 8bitagent » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:16 am

I have changed my tune of Russia. If Russia helped exposed the corrupt DNC, stopped the idiot Jeb!-Cruz-Rubio hydra...and helped....

wait now just a second....President Donnie and Putin, where have I seen this story before? Oh yes...
the 1980s are back!!!!!

"Do you know who I am? I am the arm, and I sound like this..."-man from another place, twin peaks fire walk with me
8bitagent

Postby Sounder » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:51 am

Sounder wrote:
we may still create a model that recognizes that reality is made of relationships, not objects

Mac wrote...
Sounder, have you been reading Whitehead?

No, but Morris Berman covers these ideas in his book 'The Reenchantment of the World'

And I see that Whitehead is referenced on pg. 127, while Mr. Berman is speaking directly to these ideas.
All these things will continue as long as coercion remains a central element of our mentality.
Sounder

Postby dada » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:44 pm

I really can't argue whether or not there was a genuine popular uprising initially in Syria which was co-opted, as I wasn't there.

If there was, we'd have to assume that it was not in any state interests to support it, and it would be ignored by the media, and erased from the mainstream historical narrative. That would be a shame, though unsurprising. But anyway, that as we say, is that.

Sounder » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:51 am wrote:
dada wrote...

Ah, but you can. Any framework for understanding indoctrinates one way or another. While our current split model of reality 'propagandizes' that reality is made up of objects, and that 'success' is measured by ones ability to manipulate those objects, we may still create a model that recognizes that reality is made of relationships, not objects. Only then will we become able to give substance to ideas like freedom and equality.

I can, sure. The question is, can one indoctrinate others in this way. To me, freedom and equality would imply an absence of indoctrination, no coercion from the outside.

Self-indoctrination would be a sort of negative-indoctrination. Maybe to put it better: If self-propagandizing is self-programming, this would be self-deprogramming. But doing it for yourself is one thing. De-programming others isn't possible, in my experience. No one changes until they're ready to change themselves.

So we must rely on freedom and equality indoctrination and propaganda. Is that real freedom and equality? Wouldn't people indoctrinated this way be easily manipulated? We'd have to have coca-cola sized advertising budgets to keep the people "free." Doesn't seem economical. Or like true freedom.
Both his words and manner of speech seemed at first totally unfamiliar to me, and yet somehow they stirred memories - as an actor might be stirred by the forgotten lines of some role he had played far away and long ago.
dada

Postby OP ED » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:23 am

Indoctrination to freedom may be a logical impossibility but targeted counter propaganda can be used to destroy obstacles to liberation and help create circumstances that encourage self actualization. On the broad spectrum, pogroms can be designed to teach critical thinking skills through interactive reality games. In certain fields this is accomplished through an initiatory process.
Giustizia mosse il mio alto fattore:
fecemi la divina podestate,
la somma sapienza e 'l primo amore.

:: ::
S.H.C.R.
OP ED

Postby JackRiddler » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:30 am

OP ED » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:23 am wrote:Indoctrination to freedom may be a logical impossibility but targeted counter propaganda can be used to destroy obstacles to liberation and help create circumstances that encourage self actualization. On the broad spectrum, pogroms can be designed to teach critical thinking skills through interactive reality games. In certain fields this is accomplished through an initiatory process.

A mistake? You mean programs?
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby seemslikeadream » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:58 am

it is insane that one can not say anything bad about Putin/Russia
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby MacCruiskeen » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:36 pm

seemslikeadream » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:58 am wrote:it is insane that one can not say anything bad about Putin/Russia

It is insane to assert that one cannot say anything bad about Putin/Russia.

It is insane to insinuate that anyone here, except you, has ever asserted that one cannot say anything bad about Putin/Russia.

I think you mean "may not", by the way. In either case, it is a deranged assertion.

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby seemslikeadream » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:43 pm

there is a deranged assertion here but it is not me

deranged assertions get suspended
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion