Rise of the Warrior Cop

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Rise of the Warrior Cop

Postby seemslikeadream » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:11 am

HUMAN RIGHTS
Louisiana Cop Charged with Murder—But He Says He Shot 6-Year-Old Dead In Self-Defense
Body cam shows the father with his hands in the air pleading for the officers to stop firing.
By Sarah K. Burris / Raw Story September 24, 2016

Deputy City Marshal Derrick Stafford is being charged with murder after his body cam videos captured the fatal shooting of a 6-year-old Jeremy Mardis, but he’s claiming it was all self-defense.

Stafford opened fire on a car being driven by the little boy’s father, Christopher Few. According to prosecutors from Attorney General Jeff Landry’s office, Few was backing his car away from the deputies at the time and they were at a safe distance from the vehicle, KACT reports.

“Perhaps most important, it shows Few with his hands in the air pleading for the officers to stop firing. They did not,” prosecutors wrote in the court filing.

Because the body cam video lacks audio for 27 seconds, Stafford’s attorney is arguing no one truly knows if Stafford fired his weapon before or after Few raised his hands inside the car. He also argued that the deputies didn’t know the boy was in the car with his father and that he ignored their commands, giving them the opportunity to shoot.

Stafford along with deputy marshal Norris Greenhouse Jr. claim Few’s “aggressive actions” of driving forward and then backward toward the officers necessitated deadly force.

“At this point, Stafford, out of fear for his life and that of his fellow officers, began shooting at the vehicle to prevent any further actions by Few which would put the officers in imminent danger,” they wrote.

State District Court Judge William Bennett will hear court arguments next week and decide whether he’ll stop the indictment.
http://www.alternet.org/human-rights/lo ... lf-defense
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby seemslikeadream » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:31 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yi3tLwigo0

"Call It What It Is"

They shot him in the back
Now it's a crime to be black
So don't act surprised
When it gets vandalized

Call it what it is
Call it what it is
Call it
what it is
Murder

There's good cops
Bad cops
White cops
Black cops

Call it what it is
Call it what it is
Call it
what it is
Murder

Trevon Martin
Ezel Ford
Michael Brown
And so many many more

But call it what it is
Call it what it is
Call it
what it is
Murder

Government, ain't easy
policing, ain't easy
hard times, ain't easy
Oppression, ain't easy
racism, ain't easy
fear, ain't easy
suffering, ain't easy

But call it what it is
Call it what it is
Call it
what it is
Murder

Gun control
Mind control
Self-control
We've dug ourselves a hole

But call it what it is
Call it what it is
Call it
what it is
Murder

Call it what it is
Call it what it is
Call it
what it is
Murder

Call it what it is
Call it what it is
Call it
what it is
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby Cordelia » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:30 pm

:wallhead:

San Diego police shot and killed an unarmed black man

By Tess Owen
September 28, 2016 | 10:05 am

Officers from a San Diego suburb shot and killed a black man on Tuesday, after his sister had dialed 911 requesting emergency assistance because her brother was "not acting like himself."

A bystander livestreamed the aftermath of the shooting on Facebook. In the video, a woman, reportedly the victim's sister, is distraught. "Why couldn't you tase him? I told you he is sick. And you guys shot him. I called police to help him, not to kill him."

El Cajon police wrote in a statement that Alfred Olango, 30, was "walking in traffic, not only endangering himself, but motorists" when they arrived at the scene outside a strip mall at around 2 p.m. local time.

Police said that Olango "refused multiple instructions" to "remove his concealed hand from in his pocket." Because the subject did not comply, the officer drew his firearm and pointed it" at Olango.

"At one point, the subject rapidly drew an object from his front pants pocket, placed both hands together and extended them rapidly toward the officer, taking up what appeared to be a shooting stance," police wrote.

One officer discharged their Taser, while simultaneously the other officer pulled the trigger on his gun "several times."

Police have since acknowledged that Olango was not armed – the object he was "pointing" at the officers was not a weapon.

Continued......
https://news.vice.com/article/san-diego ... g-for-help

The greatest sin is to be unconscious. ~ Carl Jung

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Cordelia » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:20 am

Opening today.......

DIRECTOR’S STATEMENT

"In April 2013, I watched the police response in the days following the Boston Marathon bombing in awe. I had never associated the vehicles, weapons and tactics used by officers after the attack with domestic police work. I grew up with the War on Drugs era of policing: My father was an officer for 29 years in a city bordering Detroit and became a member of SWAT when his city formed a team in 1989. What I wasn’t familiar with, since my father’s retirement from the force in 2002, was the effect the War on Terror had on police work. Making this film was an attempt to understand what had changed."

Continued.............
http://www.donotresistfilm.com/craig-atkinson/

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Postby Grizzly » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:02 am

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/b ... mily-even/
Police routinely misuse state and federal databases to stalk romantic interests, business partners, family, and even each other (

Also,

“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby seemslikeadream » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:49 pm

FBI closes civil-rights probe of Seattle police arrest that left UW student battered and bruised
Originally published November 17, 2016 at 12:07 pm Updated November 17, 2016 at 2:16 pm

UW student David Pontecorvo says he was beaten with fists, batons and flashlights after videotaping the arrest of his friend during a loud party on Sept. 22, 2012. Seattle will pay $100,000 to settle a civil-rights lawsuit filed by Pontecorvo.
The Seattle FBI office opened an investigation after the city of Seattle agreed to pay $100,000 to settle a civil-rights lawsuit filed by the man.

The FBI has closed without charges a criminal civil-rights investigation into the use of force by Seattle police that left a University of Washington student battered and bruised after he was told to stop recording video as officers were arresting a friend at a loud party in 2012.

The Seattle FBI office opened the investigation late last year after the city of Seattle agreed to pay $100,000 to settle a civil-rights lawsuit filed by geography student David Pontecorvo, who, according to his attorney and the lawsuit, suffered a broken cheekbone, a broken nose, bruises and lacerations after he was pulled off his front porch by officers and beaten with fists and a flashlight.

Pierce Murphy, the civilian director of police department’s Office of Professional Accountability (OPA), said no complaint was ever filed and therefore there was no investigation into the Pontecorvo incident. None of the officers were disciplined.

Under new protocols between OPA and the City Attorney’s Office, Murphy is now notified when officers are named in civil complaints or lawsuits, and he can decide unilaterally whether to open an investigation. In the past, the OPA was not notified when an officer was sued.

In a statement issued Thursday, the FBI said: “After a thorough investigation by the FBI and in consultation with the U.S. Attorney’s Office and the Justice Department’s Civil Rights Division, the matter has been closed. All relevant parties have been informed.”
http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-new ... d-bruised/
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby seemslikeadream » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:22 am

a good news cop story for a change

An Indiana Town’s Entire Police Force Has Quit In Protest
Officers allege they were punished for pulling over town officials and asked to perform “illegal, unethical, and immoral things.”

Originally posted on Dec. 14, 2016, at 7:40 p.m.
Updated on Dec. 14, 2016, at 7:49 p.m.
Salvador Hernandez

Via Michael Thomison
The entire police force of a small town in Indiana quit in protest after their officers were allegedly punished for pulling over town officials, and after the town marshal was allegedly asked to perform “illegal, unethical, and immoral things.”
Michael Thomison, the former marshal for Bunker Hill, Indiana, said members of the town council repeatedly asked him to perform background checks on other council members, and wanted unrestricted access to police reports from the small department.
Officers who ticketed and pulled over members of the council or their spouses were also punished and “written up,” officers told BuzzFeed News. The council also restricted patrols in the community to only one officer at a time even though Thomison was the only paid member of the force.

“We can’t make this up,” Thomison said. “They were just not receptive to having a police department.”
During a town council meeting, Thomison and four other officers resigned from the department, effectively leaving the community of just over 800 residents without a police department.
“None of us wanted to quit,” said Joshua Graham, one of the reserve officers who resigned. “They just, basically did whatever they wanted to do, whether it’s by the law or not.”
Members of the Bunker Hill town council did not return BuzzFeed News requests for comment.
Thomison, who had been with the department for four years, said the council had restricted what areas officers could patrol, prohibiting them from patrolling outside their jurisdiction or helping outside agencies.
The department was reduced to using one bulletproof vest that was passed around between officers because the town refused to purchase a second one, he said. The town also restricted patrols to just one officer at a time, even though the department had two patrol vehicles that could be used at the same time.
“They said that it cost the town money,” Thomison said. “Basically gas money.”
Things got personal earlier this year when Thomison was diagnosed with cancer in January. The marshal underwent surgery and when he returned to work in June, he said he was told his insurance was costing the town too much money.
Thomison alleges he was restricted to work 29.75 hours a week. The town is only required to provide benefits for employees who work 30 hours, he said.
The former marshal said he tried to work with the council, even asking the Indiana State Police to intervene and provide clarification to town officials on what police departments could and could not do.
Despite those efforts, he said, council members asked for background checks for past and current members of the council, as well as other “unethical” directives to officers.
Thomison said he felt his officers were punished for confronting members of the town council while carrying out their duties, including traffic stops.
One officer who pulled over a council member’s wife was later written up for “speeding,” Thomison said, because he was traveling faster than the posted speed limit while responding to a drunk driver.
Troy Gornto, another officer who quit, told BuzzFeed News he was written up as well after he stopped a council member for a malfunctioning taillight.
Shortly after the stop, he said the council member complained he “took off quickly.” Gornto was cited for “abusing town equipment.”
“It just bothered me because I knew his complaint was unfounded,” he told BuzzFeed News.
Thomison said he grew so frustrated he contacted state police and the Indiana Attorney General.
In the meantime, the Miami County Sheriff’s Office is currently providing policing service to the town and a job opening has been posted on the Bunker Hill website for a part-time marshal.
“It was like walking on egg shells,” Graham said. “Any complaints that were on the department were from either board members, or board members’ family members.”
https://www.buzzfeed.com/salvadorhernan ... .npYeO2GKV
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby norton ash » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:44 pm

From the Donald Glover series Atlanta.

Zen horse
norton ash

Postby Cordelia » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:49 pm

A positive approach from little 'Rogue Island' : :thumbsup

"As of this year, mental health first aid is required training for all new police recruits in Rhode Island. It’s one of the first states to embrace such a requirement. "

The Pulse: Police Try New Approaches To Mental Health Crises

By Kristin Gourlay • Nov 10, 2016

A spate of high profile police shootings have drawn attention to the way police respond to people dealing with mental illness.

Until recently, that response was arrest first, ask questions later. But a rising number of police departments around the region--and around the country – are rethinking the way they handle these crises. This week on The Pulse, we bring you the story of one woman who benefited from the new approach. Tomorrow, we visit a police department in Gloucester that’s trying a whole new approach to the opioid addiction crisis.

We’re in a classroom at the municipal police training academy in East Greenwich Rhode Island.

“Class attention!" Yells a new recruit. "Class take seats!”

This morning’s class is in mental health first aid. Retired West Warwick police captain Joe Coffey facilitates. He tells the rows of recruits in identical blue uniforms he understands most of them signed up because they wanted to help people. Seven to 15 percent of the calls they go on, Coffey says, will involve someone who needs help getting through a mental health crisis.

“You’ll get a really good sense of what that help might be," Coffey lectures. "How to identify mental illnesses or people in crisis. How to understand it. and most importantly how you can help. But after the help we have to connect them to the proper care and services.”

Trisha Brouwer co-facilitates the class. She works for Gateway health services in Pawtucket, responding to mental health emergencies in hospitals and in partnership with the police. Brouwer reminds recruits they’ve learned CPR and other physical first aid. Mental health first aid is similar, and just as critical. But someone in crisis might not behave the way officers expect. Knowing how to respond can mean the difference between life and death – between making an arrest or helping the person get into treatment.

“Folks experiencing acute mental health issues aren’t very good at following your directions," Brouwer tells the class. "Again, we’re going to go over some specific scenarios with you later. But that can be misperceived. And you might think that you need to act differently because they’re not responding to you.”

(Below: Web extra! Listen to a conversation between Trisha Brouwer and Joe Coffey about the evolution of policing and mental health.)

Brouwer and Coffey will teach the new recruits how to respond to crisis situations – anything from someone having a psychotic break to a person threatening suicide. The main idea is to listen, deescalate the crisis, and be a conduit to help.

Once officers complete this kind of training, situations that might once have escalated can turn out completely differently. Take what happened to Meagan Le Beau. Today, she works for the National Alliance for Mental Illness chapter in Rhode Island as an administrative assistant. She also has her own debilitating mental illnesses:

“I have bipolar disorder with anxiety and ptsd. And for a while I had agoraphobia. So I hadn’t left my house for about two years. And with the bipolar I have psychosis, so sometimes I see things or hear things or get very paranoid.”

A few years ago, Le Beau had a psychotic episode. She hadn’t left her house in two years. She hadn’t slept in weeks. She’d taken tons of tranquilizers.

“I called the suicide hotline because I got scared. I couldn’t remember how many pills I’d taken and I thought I want to live. I want to sleep but I want to live. Maybe somebody can help me. and they said we need to call the police and do a wellness check.”

When the police arrived, they found her in the bedroom.

“so there was a bottle of Klonopin, there was a bottle of Xanax, there was a butcher knife, marijuana, all around my bed. And they saw it all. And I was in a bathrobe. And I probably looked a mess because I hadn’t slept.”

Spotting a butcher knife and drugs, another cop might have gotten out the handcuffs. But this officer had shown up without sirens and lights blazing. He simply asked Le Beau how she was. He said he’d take her to the hospital. He let her get dressed, smoke a cigarette. He’d been trained in crisis intervention.

“He treated you like a human being," I say.
“Exactly, he did. And better than they would somebody going through a psychotic break.”

The hospital admitted Le Beau.

“The next day the police officer came back to check on me, to see how I was doing, to see if I had slept.”

She never forgot him.

As of this year, mental health first aid is required training for all new police recruits in Rhode Island. It’s one of the first states to embrace such a requirement. And more police departments are embedding mental health clinicians directly on their forces. If it works, it could help divert more people from an overburdened criminal justice system and into treatment.

Continued......
http://ripr.org/post/pulse-police-try-n ... lth-crises

Cordelia

Postby seemslikeadream » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:26 am

This Islamophobic Conspiracy Theorist Is Training America’s Cops
And he has a lot in common with our commander-in-chief.
By Jessica PishkoTwitterTODAY 7:30 AM

Former FBI agent John Guandolo. (Screenshot via YouTube)

In his law enforcement trainings and public appearances, John Guandolo, of the consulting company Understanding the Threat, promises to explain how Islam operates and why it is a political philosophy, not a religion. His promotional video features a black ISIS flag waving against an ominous beat, above which Guandolo describes “the global Islamic movement and what they’re doing here in the United States.” Understanding the Threat is, he says, “the only organization which is training leaders, elected officials and law enforcement as well as citizens” and showing them “how to locate…jihadis.” He also asks that you buys his books or make a donation over text.
In congressional testimony and on conservative talk shows, Guandolo dishes up conspiracy theories involving a prominent Muslim professor and organizations, implying that they are enabling Muslim terrorists. In one Columbus, Ohio, training, he accused a local professor of having ties to terrorism. (A Columbus Joint Terrorism Task Force member and an FBI agent told attendees that this individual had absolutely no ties to any such thing.) He has argued that former CIA director John Brennan is a secret Muslim and that Barack Obama was in league with Hamas. He’s said that Muslims don’t have First Amendment rights. And when Cedar Valley College in Lancaster, Texas, canceled his signature three-day law-enforcement training seminar, Guandolo claimed it was the work of “suit-wearing jihadis.”

Guandolo usually appears in a rumpled suit himself, concealing a middle-age paunch, and sports a crisp, military-grade haircut sometimes accented with a trimmed beard. He served in the Marines until 1996 and then was an FBI agent until 2009, when he was forced to resign in disgrace after having a sexual relationship with a confidential informant and amid claims that he had solicited money from sources. (The whole sordid affair was revealed by the local news.) There are also other disputes as to the specifics of his employment history and education.

He is so outlandish that he would seem easy to dismiss. Except that for the past decade, anti-Islamic “trainers”—including John Guandolo, his employee Chris Gaubatz, and others who claim, on dubious grounds, to have insider information on terrorism—have proliferated, providing sessions (for a fee) across the country to local police forces and district attorney offices promising to help them catch the latest in-vogue threat: would-be terrorists. Guandolo and his associates have done about 13 law enforcement trainings in 2016 and has several scheduled for 2017. Guandolo also appears regularly on alt-right programs.

A report by Center for New Community released on February 14, provides a timeline of anti-Islam trainings across the country. The non-profit attempts to trace the roots of this specific strain of officially-sanctioned Islamaphobia and present a disconcerting picture of unaccredited, self-proclaimed “experts” (none of them are, say, students of Islamic studies or have PhD in religious studies) who take taxpayer dollars to spread hate.

The contents of the sessions themselves are kept largely under wraps, particularly since groups like the ACLU and CAIR have identified the trainings’ anti-Islamic message, and organized protests against many sessions. (Guandolo argues these protests show how important the trainings are.) But according to Guandolo’s website, the training provides necessary information involving the funding apparatus of terrorism as well as where to find potential people to profile for arrest. Many of Guandolo’s talking points in his recorded public appearances reiterate half-regurgitated facts that are misinterpreted and dipped in the poison of association and rumor. For example, Guandolo and his colleagues argue that the Holy Land Foundation trial provides evidence that CAIR and other American Muslim Associations are in some way associated with Hamas. These statements have been proven to just not be true.

Because these trainings are being sponsored by local police forces, FBI task forces, and district attorney offices across the country, the risks of spreading this misinformation are high and have drawn vocal opposition. Just last year, Bill Montgomery, the County Attorney for Maricopa County, sponsored a training by Guandolo. The consequent protests led even the Maricopa County sheriff’s department to withdraw from participation. The costs of the training added up to nearly $40,000, including copies of Guandolo’s own self-published book for every attendee. (Other Guandolo trainings in Arizona have been funded through RICO funds from law enforcement offices.) Despite this, Montgomery defended Guandolo’s training, calling it “factual” and arguing that CAIR and the ACLU were unfairly censuring a law enforcement officers right to information. Other agencies have dropped Guandolo’s training sessions, from a sheriff’s office in Kansas to a criminal justice academy in Virginia.

The other so-called trainers reviewed in the Center for New Community report are equally insidious. One, Ryan Mauro, was a featured speaker at a “homeland security conference,” sponsored by Security Solutions International, a private company that facilitates trainings for law enforcement. SSI alludes to a strategic partnership with the Department of Homeland Security in its materials, stamping the official DHS logo all over their pages. Its 2017 conference will be held in Orlando, Florida, and is titled “Taking the gloves off: re-igniting US counter terrorism,” in reference to the current administration’s promise to exterminate terrorists.

Security Solutions International has an official publication called “The Counter Terrorist,” which gives articles such as “Honor Killing of Women in America” and “Lone Wolf Myths.” SSI claims the readership is as high as 25,000 people, nearly 40 percent of which are in the Department of Defense. They advertise the magazine to the military directly.

Links between anti-Islamic trainers, like Guandolo and Mauro, and the federal government tapered off under the Obama administration, though as recently as 2009, the federal government was also using anti-Islamic handbooks to train its FBI agents that included Guandolo as a source. Unofficial anti-Islamic trainers were rooted out of federal agency trainings after the White House ordered a full review of them in 2011. People like Guandolo responded by focusing on the less-scrutinized business of training local law enforcement agencies, which are fragmented and inconsistent in applying policy and techniques.

Of course, under Trump – who has taken up the mantle of open Islamaphobia – this could all change. Guandolo’s ideas and conspiracy theories are showing up in the recent spate of Customs and Border Protection agents harassing Muslim travelers (both US citizens and valid green card holders): these people have been asked about their religious beliefs, had their electronics searched for evidence of terrorist associations, and have even been asked absurd questions like whether they know anyone who participated in a beheading. And Guandolo’s theories have a lot in common with those espoused by Trump during his first weeks in office. Trump’s Muslim travel ban, his insistence on using the phrase “Islamic extremists,” and his new push to designate the Muslim Brotherhood as a terrorist group are all manifestations of fringe conspiracy theories, like those held by Guandolo, have moved to the center of conservative politics.
https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/ ... ent=safari
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby seemslikeadream » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:12 pm

Trump pardons Arpaio

thank you Alex Jones

BREAKING: Trump Pardons Arpaio

By JOSH MARSHALL Published AUGUST 25, 2017 8:08 PM

White House statement after the jump …

THE WHITE HOUSE
Office of the Press Secretary
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
August 25, 2017

President Trump Pardons Sheriff Joe Arpaio

Today, President Donald J. Trump granted a Presidential pardon to Joe Arpaio, former Sheriff of Maricopa County, Arizona. Arpaio’s life and career, which began at the age of 18 when he enlisted in the military after the outbreak of the Korean War, exemplify selfless public service. After serving in the Army, Arpaio became a police officer in Washington, D.C. and Las Vegas, NV and later served as a Special Agent for the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), formerly the Bureau of Narcotics. After 25 years of admirable service, Arpaio went on to lead the DEA’s branch in Arizona.

In 1992, the problems facing his community pulled Arpaio out of retirement to return to law enforcement. He ran and won a campaign to become Sheriff of Maricopa County. Throughout his time as Sheriff, Arpaio continued his life’s work of protecting the public from the scourges of crime and illegal immigration. Sheriff Joe Arpaio is now eighty-five years old, and after more than fifty years of admirable service to our Nation, he is worthy candidate for a Presidential pardon.
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/bre ... re-1079101
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby Cordelia » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:33 pm

Longer footage that shows nurse Alex Wubbels reviewing cop's (illegal) demand before she was dragged from her job at a Salt Lake City hospital for legally refusing to draw blood from an unconscious patient.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi0CPNUS1TU

The July 26 incident, captured by an officer’s body camera, was made public last week after the nurse came forward. Since then, several groups have echoed the nurse’s outrage, calling for greater consequences for the police detective in question and demanding increased awareness of patient-consent laws.

In the footage, Jeff Payne, a detective with the Salt Lake City Police Department, confronts Alex Wubbels, a nurse in the burn unit at the University of Utah Hospital, over her polite but firm insistence that police could not collect blood samples from a badly injured patient. Payne didn’t have a warrant, Wubbels pointed out. And the patient wasn’t conscious, so he couldn’t give consent.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/mor ... 1de193edbd

Cordelia

Postby 82_28 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:37 pm

:barf: :barf: :barf:

Watch the included video. Even if Daniel Shaver were not shot and killed, the treatment by Philip "Mitch" Brailsford is disturbing on its own.

Graphic video shows Daniel Shaver sobbing and begging officer for his life before 2016 shooting

After the officer involved was acquitted of second-degree murder charges, officials in Arizona publicly released graphic video showing Daniel Shaver crawling on his hands and knees and begging for his life in the moments before he was shot and killed by police in January 2016.

Shaver died in one of at least 963 fatal police shootings in 2016, according to a Washington Post database. And his death was one of an increasing number of such shootings to prompt criminal charges in the years since the 2014 protests in Ferguson, Mo. following the death of Michael Brown. Yet charges remain rare, and convictions even more so.

The shooting, by Philip “Mitch” Brailsford, then an officer with the Mesa Police Department, occurred after officers responded to a call about a man allegedly pointing a rifle out of a fifth-floor window at a La Quinta Inn. Inside the room, Shaver, 26, had been doing rum shots with a woman he had met earlier that day and showing off a pellet gun he used in his job in pest control.

The graphic video, recorded by Brailsford’s body camera, shows Shaver and the woman exiting the hotel room and immediately complying with commands from multiple officers. The video was shown in court during the trial, but it was released to the public after jurors acquitted Shaver on Thursday.

[ The Washington Post’s 2017 fatal police shooting database ]

After entering the hallway, Shaver immediately puts his hands in the air and lays down on the ground while informing the officer that no one else was in the hotel room.

“If you make a mistake, another mistake, there is a very severe possibility that you’re both going to get shot. Do you understand?” Sgt. Charles Langley yells before telling Shaver to “shut up.”

“I’m not here to be tactical and diplomatic with you. You listen. You obey,” the officer says.

For the next five minutes, officers give Shaver a series of instructions. First, an officer tells Shaver to put both of his hands on top of his head, then he instructs him to cross his left foot over his right foot.

“If you move, we’re going to consider that a threat and we are going to deal with it and you may not survive it,” Langley said.

The officer then has the woman crawl down the hallway, where she is taken into custody. Shaver remains on the ground in the hallway, his hands on his head.

Langley tells Shaver to keep his legs crossed and push himself up into a kneeling position. As Shaver pushes himself up, his legs come uncrossed, prompting the officer to scream at him.

“I’m sorry,” Shaver says, placing his hands near his waist, prompting another round of screaming.

“You do that again, we’re shooting you, do you understand?” Langley yells.

“Please do not shoot me,” Shaver begs, his hands up straight in the air.

At the officer’s command, Shaver then crawls down the hallway, sobbing. At one point, he reaches back — possibly to pull up his shorts — and Brailsford opens fire, striking Shaver five times.

[ Fatal shootings by police are up in the first six months of 2016, Post analysis finds ]

According to the police report, Brailsford was carrying an AR-15 rifle with the phrase “You’re F—ed” etched into the weapon. The police report also said the “shots were fired so rapidly that in watching the video at regular speed, one cannot count them.”

Brailsford testified in court that he believed Shaver was reaching for a gun.

“If this situation happened exactly as it did that time, I would have done the same thing,” Brailsford said during the trial. “I believed 100 percent that he was reaching for a gun.”

No gun was found on Shaver’s body. Two pellet rifles used in Shaver’s pest-control job were later found in the hotel room.

After two days of deliberation, jurors found Brailsford not guilty of second-degree murder as well as of a lesser charge of reckless manslaughter.

“The justice system miserably failed Daniel (Shaver) and his family,” said Mark Geragos, an attorney for Shaver’s widow, according to the Arizona Republic.

Attorneys for the officer had petitioned to keep the video from being released, and a judge agreed to block its release to the public until after the trial had concluded.

Brailsford’s attorney, Mike Piccarreta, told The Post in a previous interview that he thinks the body camera footage clears his client.

“It demonstrates that the officer had to make a split-second decision when [Shaver] moved his hands toward the small of his back after being advised that if he did, he’d be shot,” Piccarreta told The Post in 2016.

Piccarreta also said he wasn’t sure his client would be interested in trying to get his police job back.

Shaver’s widow and parents have filed wrongful-death lawsuits against the city of Mesa.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pos ... tid=pm_pop
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby seemslikeadream » Wed May 23, 2018 7:13 pm

Ex-cop who gunned down ex-wife has a nearly 700-page internal affairs file

By Alex Napoliello anapoliello@njadvancemedia.com,NJ Advance Media for NJ.com
Updated 1:49 PM; Posted 12:35 PM
Philip Seidle appears at his sentencing on Sept. 29, 2016. (Patti Sapone | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com)
A former Neptune Township police sergeant who gunned down his ex-wife as she sat helplessly in the driver's seat of her car had an internal affairs file that is nearly 700 pages - and was asked to stay on the force even after he offered to retire prior to the 2015 slaying.

That's according to a new lawsuit filed Monday.

Less than a year after Philip Seidle -- who had already served two suspensions for domestic violence and briefly had his service weapon taken away -- offered to turn in his badge and his gun for good, he used that same weapon to pump a dozen shots into his ex-wife, Tamara Wilson-Siedle, in broad daylight on an Asbury Park street on June 16, 2015.

The new lawsuit, filed by the nine Seidle children, includes explosive new allegations that their 54-year-old police officer father had an internal affairs file that is 682 pages with excessive force complaints starting in 2004.

In one claim, the lawsuit says, Seidle hit a man on a bicycle with his police car and then kneed and kicked him. He also allegedly threw a man on top of a police cruiser and then beat him, punching him in the jaw and kicking him in the ribs.

When coupled with Seidle's long, documented past of physical and verbal abuse against Wilson-Seidle, 51, Monmouth County authorities at the local and county level ignored warning signs that ultimately led to her death, the lawsuit contends.

They also failed to take action after Wilson-Seidle personally visited Neptune police officials, including Chief James Hunt Jr., to "complain about the mistreatment, abuse, threats and behavior" of her estranged husband, the lawsuit states.

Three weeks after a divorce ending a 23-year marriage was finalized in 2015, Philip Seidle chased Tamara Wilson-Seidle as she drove through Asbury Park, eventually ramming her car at the intersection of Ridge and Sewall avenues.

Dashboard camera shows deadly encounter between cop, ex-wife
Philip Seidle got out and fired eight rounds through his ex-wife's driver's side window. Two minutes later, in the presence of several Asbury Park police officers, he fired off another four rounds through her windshield.

The couple's youngest daughter, who was riding with her father, escaped into the hands of police during the break in shots fired.

Seidle pleaded guilty on July 15, 2016, to aggravated manslaughter and child endangerment and was sentenced to 30 years in state prison.

An original lawsuit filed on June 16, 2017, was dismissed by U.S. District Court Judge Michael A. Shipp because the plaintiffs "lumped" defendants together.

According to this lawsuit, from 2012 up until the date of the shooting, there were at least 12 documented domestic violence or incident calls to police from Wilson-Seidle.

His service weapon was taken away in 2012 after he canceled a dispatch call to police placed by Tamara Wilson-Seidle in regard to domestic violence.

Seidle went to see a police psychologist who declared him unfit for duty. A year later, however, his service weapon was returned to him.

A probe by the Monmouth County Prosecutor's Office noted that authorities returned Seidle's service weapon after seeking permission from Tamara Wilson-Seidle.

However, the lawsuit says that Philip Seidle would "use physical force and assault her if she complained or took any action to create problems for him at the job, that she would suffer grievous harm as a result including financial ruin."

Seidle would go on to be suspended twice from the force.

Less than a year before the shooting, beset by the ongoing trouble with Wilson-Seidle, Philip Seidle offered to retire.

"But instead of accepting his resignation," the lawsuit states, "knowing of the explosive nature of the couple' confrontations and the history of domestic violence and prior discipline, the Neptune Defendants gave Seidle a free pass and asked him to stay."
http://www.nj.com/monmouth/index.ssf/20 ... _exce.html
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby seemslikeadream » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:43 pm

8bitagent » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:26 pm wrote:
Wombaticus Rex » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:11 pm wrote:
I don't think that situation is going to calm down anytime soon; even if it does, this is an early signal that the big one is close.

It made me so effing mad what happened to that Eric Garner guy. The cops didn't care one bit cellphone cameras were rolling as they choked him to death. Just like when New Orleans cops
massacred those fleeing black people on the bridge during Katrina in the back.

Now from multiple angles, from multiple witnesses they all say the same thing: Brown, even while shot and unarmed, was hobbling to flee a maniac cop who gunned him down. Unlike the murky details of Trayvon,
this one has no mystery or speculation.

NYPD fires officer in Eric Garner murder
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion