Comments On Images Only Thread

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Comments On Images Only Thread

Postby seemslikeadream » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:17 pm

less trouble if he had applied to the Palestinian Country Club :)
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby Iamwhomiam » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:30 pm

No, not really. The foursome realized they were short a cad.
Iamwhomiam

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby seemslikeadream » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:39 am

extra O sold separately

“No dream is too big, no challenge is to great. Nothing we want for the future is beyond our reach,” except spell check

The print was on sale at the Library of Congress online store for $16.95

“This print captures the essence of Donald Trump’s campaign for the presidency of the United States.”

It was a rough day for the orthographically challenged.
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby dada » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:59 am

A documentary could be made about this sweater.

Start in China, gathering the thread and baubles. Then the sweatshop scenes.

Shipped to US. Docks, cargo ship, lorry parked at highway rest stop at night.

Marshalls. Some clips of consumers shopping, homeless people in the winter. Price change, sale rack.

Then to the dollar store. I guess that's what the dollar sticker means? Customer examines sweater. You can see her thinking, "hm. Looks like a perfectly good sweater. I don't get it"

Then she sees the label. Ah. Texts her friends. (She had the phone in her hand the whole time)

Takes picture of sweater, posts to social media, making a "political statement" of some sort.

Last scene opens on Dollar store "clearance sale, going out of business" sign. Documentary ends with dollar store employee putting sweaters in plastic garbage bag. Goes outside, dumpster is full.

Employee smokes cigarette, plays a scratch-off card. Finishes cigarette, looks at dumpster. Balances garbage bag on top of pile, goes back inside.
Both his words and manner of speech seemed at first totally unfamiliar to me, and yet somehow they stirred memories - as an actor might be stirred by the forgotten lines of some role he had played far away and long ago.
dada

Postby Iamwhomiam » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:08 pm

http://rigorousintuition.ca/board2/viewtopic.php?p=634870#p634870

Hard to believe I just learned this, but the fellow in the white pants and black shirt, the 4th from the right on the ground in front of the stage, is my Uncle!
Iamwhomiam

Postby Cordelia » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:35 pm

:thumbsup Very cool;.......when, where?
The greatest sin is to be unconscious. ~ Carl Jung

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Postby Iamwhomiam » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:16 pm

Beatles at Shea Stadium in '64.
Iamwhomiam

Postby Cordelia » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:45 pm

Your lucky uncle. When young I was more a Stones fan and really wanted to see them perform, but never did (my dad saw them in Washington in 1978, which really pissed me off; 'why does he get to?' :wallhead:)

Now I appreciate the Beatles' music a lot more.

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Postby Iamwhomiam » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:22 pm

Yeah, me too, about liking the Beatles. I really disliked them when they began and sloughed off Magical Mystery Tour as "interesting, but I still don't like them." Abby Road impressed me enough to rethink why I was so prejudiced against them. Too bad I didn't do that more often with other bands I rejected before learning to appreciate.

I can relate to being pissed that your dad got to go see the Stones, but not you. For me it wasn't a parent that crushed the moment, but my ex-wife.I had always loved the Kinks and at sometime in the late '70s or early '80s they were scheduled to play at Albany's Palace theater, which was only two blocks away from my downtown home. I arranged with my ex for her to babysit and have a rare visit with our kids and bought a ticket, which was a great expense to me then, maybe $35, from my paltry budget.

Walking past the marquee everyday as the day of the show approached only got me more excited. It had been more than a few years since I had any opportunity to enjoy live music or any great band in person.
A few hours before the show, my wife cancelled. Something unavoidable had come up - she was going to see the Kinks! Argh!

Btw, she had a great time.

I forgot to link to the page the photo accompanied:
http://www.mvtimes.com/2014/02/13/the-beatles-in-america/
Iamwhomiam

Postby Cordelia » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:34 pm

^^^Really not okay, pulling the rug out from under long anticipated concert plan and then adding salt to the wound by enjoying it! What a disappointment to miss The Kinks.

I remember watching the Beatles on Ed Sullivan in 1964, but not that it was less than 3 months after JFK assassination. As pondered elsewhere over the years, Beatlemania provided the needed jump-start (and wtf, that crazy teenage girl mass hysteria) for the shell shocked grieving country before the age of drugging everyone up. An interesting article from the LA Times:

The Beatles, JFK and Nov. 22, 1963

November 22, 2013 By Randy Lewis

"The connection between the assassination of President John F. Kennedy and the eruption of Beatlemania in the U.S. a little more than two months later when the group showed up on “The Ed Sullivan Show” has long been established. The joy in the group’s new sound and look, played out on the faces of Sullivan’s audience full of screaming teenagers, gave a grieving nation a much-needed reason to smile once again.

What’s less well-remembered is that the Sullivan show was not the group’s first TV exposure in the U.S. In fact, before that historic night, even before talk-show host Jack Paar showed a performance clip of the Fab Four on his show a month before they arrived in the States to play live for Sullivan, Mike Wallace and CBS News were the first to tell a national audience about the phenomenon of Beatlemania then sweeping England.

That was on Nov. 22, 1963.

“The CBS Morning News with Mike Wallace” profiled the Beatles in a segment that was scheduled to be repeated on the nightly news show hosted by Walter Cronkite. But when President Kennedy was shot and killed in Dallas that day, every other topic went onto the back burner.

So much so that Wallace himself even forgot about the piece he’d aired shortly before a national tragedy occurred.

As Beatles scholar Martin Lewis pointed out shortly after Wallace died last year, “As the world mourned JFK and became engulfed in the awful news, the light-hearted story that Mike Wallace had presented just two hours earlier faded very rapidly.”

“Wallace himself forgot all about it,” Lewis wrote in a remembrance of Wallace’s legacy. “But 18 days later one man did remember it. Mike Wallace's senior colleague at CBS News -- Walter Cronkite.

“Cronkite was looking for a way to lift the spirits of the devastated American public with a cheerful segment. And he recalled the film clip that Wallace had introduced on his Morning News show that dreadful Dallas morning," Martin wrote.

“Cronkite decided to resurrect the story and on Tuesday, Dec. 10, he re-aired the sparkling five-minute film clip of the Beatles enchanting their British fans,” Lewis wrote. “To a nation still reeling from the massive emotional trauma of JFK's assassination, the exuberant optimism of the Fab Four offered solace and the glimpse of a New Beginning. The film clip triggered an astonishing chain reaction that kick-started Beatlemania in the USA.”

Continued......

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/nov/22 ... 3-20131122

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOcYTOBA0CI

In retrospect I'm not sorry I never saw the Stones. Their performances, and satanic jump start to the music industry, I didn't need to witness live.

(Speaking of missed concerts and Ray Davies, I went to see Chrissie Hynde & The Pretenders w/my ex and friends in 1980. I almost didn't go because I was pregnant, exhausted and had to be at work early the next morning. I was dozing and they were over two hours late when the club's management announced that the band wanted the floor cleared & all chairs removed. The prospect of standing through the concert was too much and I wished my friends & ex a good night and left. I missed The Pretenders, by choice. :wallhead: )

Cordelia

Postby Iamwhomiam » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:36 pm

My uncle must have loved that assignment!

Too bad about your missing Chrissie Hynde & the Pretenders. I never got to see them but I did like their music. Missing Dylan was the only other I recall. Had tickets to great seats and really looked forward to seeing him. That was 25 years ago or so. My partner insisted upon having dinner beforehand, which wasn't in the plan or even discussed. We went to dinner, she got drunk and more obnoxious and I took her home, went back to my place where I remain eternally bummed.

It's hard to believe how radical a departure from the status quo the Beatles were at the time. I turned away from the Stones, believing they were evil. Same with The Dead. Took me years to begin appreciating both even though I really enjoyed the early Stones.

It's weird to think of the two events being so close together in time, Kennedy and Shay.

But I got to see the Stones play in a barn at Montauk in '63. From about 4 feet away from the stage. Never before saw such big lips on a white guy! But I forgot all that for 50 years!
Iamwhomiam

Postby norton ash » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:18 am

But I got to see the Stones play in a barn at Montauk in '63.

'Barn in Montauk' ... Stones... 1963... This is quite RI.
Zen horse
norton ash

Postby Iamwhomiam » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:24 pm

I once before related the story, though I don't know which thread, and I haven't search for it. They called themselves the "Rolling Stone" and when they began breaking down I said to the singer, "Rolling Stone? But there's four of you, shouldn't it be the Rolling Stones?" and there you have it. Truth, I swear it. The name was on a banner they hung on the wall behind the band.
Iamwhomiam

Postby Cordelia » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:40 pm

^^^
Who would have imagined then that 40 years later he'd be knighted by order of the queen and performing before audiences of tens of thousands and even a million +? What a weird gaggle, human beings.

Cordelia

Postby Cordelia » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:12 pm

norton ash » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:18 pm wrote:

'Barn in Montauk' ... Stones... 1963... This is quite RI.

Confess to watching 'The Affair' :roll: , set in Montauk, because it reminded me of my hometown; fishing a major income, land stolen from the Indians, scandal, corruption, etc... Sans wealth & tourism......... then anyway.

Cordelia

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion