Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Do we need a George Orwell app?

Postby fruhmenschen » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:39 am

see link for full story

http://www.thecrimson.com/column/body-p ... obamacare/

Spy Agency to the Rescue
Put the NSA in charge
of Obamacare

Congressman Mike J. Rogers, at a hearing last week over the latest National Security Agency scandals, non-ironically disseminated this beautiful piece of sophistry: “You can’t have your privacy violated if you don’t know your privacy is violated.

If the NSA snoops on everyone, and no one knows enough to complain, does it still make a stink?

It’s unsettling to note that Congressman Rogers is a former FBI agent—but not unsurprising. It’s a little worse to note that Rogers is the Chairman of the House Intelligence Committee—one whose response to reports that the NSA had monitored 70 million French calls was that that French citizens should actually be “applauding and popping Champagne corks.”

But bewildering understandings of privacy are all too common in Congress. In a hearing over the disastrous roll-out of the federal health care exchange website, Representative Joe L. Barton wondered, “How in the world can this be HIPAA compliant?”

His colleague, Representative Frank J. Pallone, noted astutely that the patient privacy component of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act “only applies when there’s health information being provided. No health information is required in the application process. And why is that? Because pre-existing conditions don’t matter!”

When Barton pushed back, Pallone called the hearing a “monkey court.”

If I may offer a modest proposal to calm the partisan clamor: It appears that the great problem of our times is that some parts of the government are too technically advanced and others are decidedly less so.

So why not put the NSA in charge of healthcare.gov?

Think about it. Instead of a shoddy registration system so inept that only six people were able to sign up fully on the first day, nothing of the sort would happen with the pros at the NSA running things. You could just plop in front of the computer and the NSA would have all your information already inputted for you (which means more time for aimless browsing)!

The NSA already contracts its intelligence work through the startup firm Palantir, named after the seeing stones in Lord of the Rings that Sauron and Saruman use to coordinate their malevolent plans to massacre basically everyone in Middle Earth.

And the spy agency, amply funded with $10.8 billion, already appears to have time on its hands, allegedly spying on the papal conclave, obscure Venezuelan economic officials, and climate change conferences.

Instead of infuriating European leaders like German Chancellor Angela Merkel, whose cellphone we had been lovingly looking after since 2002 when she was just the chair of the Christian Democratic Union, we could offer them entry to our exceptional healthcare system instead.

Giving the gift of healthcare to world leaders we want to keep eyes on (what could be more useful to intelligence than a real-time plot of Francois Hollande’s heart rate?) would be a boon for otherwise strained diplomatic relations with Europe. It would certainly beat Russia’s idea of gift giving: The country recently distributed memory sticks and mobile chargers in gift bags to world leaders, spyware included free of charge.

It could also be a smart political move for President Obama, whose aloofness on both the NSA’s excesses and his signature achievement have not done much to ease the “What did the president know and when did he know it?” attitude of Republicans on every scandal, real or fictional (Benghazi-gate still hasn’t quite fizzled out).

Instead of reinforcing his image as automaton-in-chief, the president could appease his liberal supporters by making sure Obamacare actually improves the sorry state of healthcare for too many Americans. Conservative support would be ensured since the NSA is a security institution and to oppose any act or operation related to security would be unthinkably unpatriotic.

Maybe then we can move on from the temporary website problems and onto the larger aim of providing less costly healthcare for more Americans—a goal that remains attainable even after Republicans’ 40-something repeal votes and government shutdown intended to suffocate it. Put the NSA to work for the good of the country.
fruhmenschen

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Do we need a George Orwell app?

Postby MacCruiskeen » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:50 am

fruhmenschen wrote:another day at the hairdresser-I need a perm and wash

fruhmenschen wrote:Blogging is not behaviour. Behaviour is truth

Now:

fruhmenschen wrote:Do we need a George Orwell app?

Maybe more to the point:

Do we need a third edition of fruhmenschen's personal blog/Data Dump (under a third random-nonsensical title) masquerading as a New Topic at the RI Discussion Board?

If so, please say why.
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby norton ash » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:45 am

Mac, when the most appropriate title for the A sticky thread for "'CT' in the media"? was under discussion, I resisted posting my own choices of 'Redecorating the Mel Gibson Kitchen Nook' or 'More Crickets on the Shoulders of the Blowjob Crew' as I am a recent convert to the Fruhmenschen School of Oblique Suggestion That You Stay Away.

Meanwhile, I have crafted a front doormat for my home which reads GO TO THE ANT THOU SLUGGARD. LOVE AIN'T FOR KEEPING.
Zen horse
norton ash

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:48 am

Aren't they all George Orwell apps?
Wombaticus Rex

Postby seemslikeadream » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:54 am

Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby MacCruiskeen » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:59 am

norton ash wrote:I resisted posting

Oh well done. That's one difference between you and fruhmenschen: you've noticed there's a back button on your keyboard.

Up to now.

norton ash wrote:I am a recent convert to the Fruhmenschen School of Oblique Suggestion That You Stay Away.

Oh Good For You. So Let's Now Have A New Thread For Every Single Thought You Have, Even If It Comes Straight Out of Ur Ass, Like This Last One Of Yours.

norton ash wrote:I have crafted a front doormat for my home which reads GO TO THE ANT THOU SLUGGARD. LOVE AIN'T FOR KEEPING.

Well, THATS AWESOME, Norton, So Go On And Like Have A Congressional Medal Of Honor While Your At It Why Dont You.

norton ash wrote:when the most appropriate title for the A sticky thread for "'CT' in the media"? was under discussion, I resisted posting my own choices of 'Redecorating the Mel Gibson Kitchen Nook' or 'More Crickets on the Shoulders of the Blowjob Crew'

In Fact No You Didnt. QEFuckingD.

Ergo, No Kewpie Doll For You, Matey.
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby fruhmenschen » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:53 am

Haikuing on Wednesday

Who would of thought
So many koans
So many best minds of my generation
Searching for a George Orwell app
After fruhmenschen bared his skull
to Ashman

Thanks for the repartee
fruhmenschen

Postby NeonLX » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:10 pm

I'm in a particularly dark mood today. This thread is just what I needed.

Thx.
America is a fucked society because there is no room for essential human dignity. Its all about what you have, not who you are.--Joe Hillshoist
NeonLX

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Perelandra » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:52 pm

Do we need a third edition of fruhmenschen's personal blog/Data Dump (under a third random-nonsensical title) masquerading as a New Topic at the RI Discussion Board?
:clapping:
“The past is never dead. It's not even past.” - William Faulkner
Perelandra

Postby fruhmenschen » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:23 pm

uhm, no!
fruhmenschen

Postby 82_28 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:49 pm

Who the hell is George Orwell?
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby fruhmenschen » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:19 pm

I don't know but have an app on me......

see link for resource materials and full story
http://www.privacysos.org/whitepapers

"Mass Impact: The Domestic War on Terrorism in Massachusetts"

A report describing how the "War on Terror" has impacted ordinary Massachusetts residents.

"When We Are All Suspects: a Backgrounder on Government Surveillance in Massachusetts"

A whitepaper exploring the origin and development of surveillance fusion centers in Massachusetts.

"What's Wrong with Fusion Centers?"

A report published by the National ACLU describing fundamental problems with fusion centers nationwide.

Civil Liberties Updates

2005-present
fruhmenschen

Postby MacCruiskeen » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:49 pm

ffs, are you really going to force a third edition of this utter crap on the board? Why?

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby fruhmenschen » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:50 pm

fruhmenschen

Postby fruhmenschen » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:10 am

see link for full story
http://gigaom.com/2013/11/07/apple-says ... nd-google/
Apple says FBI spy rules are irrational, supports free speech challenge by Microsoft and Google
November 7 2013

The legal fight over tech companies’ right to disclose information about government surveillance got a big boost from Apple this week. Here’s a look at its legal filing.
tweet this

America’s big tech companies, embroiled in an on-going surveillance scandal, are in a pitched legal fight with the government for the right to disclose how many data demands they receive under the Patriot Act.

This week, the legal campaign led by Google and Microsoft got an important boost as industry rival Apple filed an eloquent brief in support of the companies’ First Amendment challenge before America’s secret spy court.

In the filing, Apple discusses its communications with the FBI and says the government “irrationally prohibits” its right to publish information about how many national security requests it receives.

Apple is not challenging the FBI’s right to impose secrecy over specific investigations — such as, for instance, a request for a certain terror suspect’s Gmail or iCloud account. Rather, Apple is frustrated because the company can’t even disclose how many requests it receives in the first place; it can only disclose broad bands of numbers (such as 1000-2000) that include ordinary police requests.

In its complaint, Apple says these gag rules violate Constitutional free speech rights, and stifle discussion about what the government is doing. This passage, from page 5 of the filing, sums up Apple’s opinion of the current disclosure rules:

From Apple’s perspective, as well as the perspective of its customers and the public as a whole, this limited disclosure does not contribute effectively to the debate over the Government’s national security systems and and (as discussed infra) is unnecessary to protect national security .. a deliberate attempt to reduce public knowledge as to the activities of the Government
tweet this

Apple also pushes back at the government’s argument that disclosing the number of surveillance requests will tip bad guys about what platforms the government is watching:
fruhmenschen

Next

Return to General Discussion