Stories that should come from The Onion but don't

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Stories that should come from The Onion but don't

Postby Luther Blissett » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:28 pm

Nordic » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:55 am wrote:I agree fuck these people. But the photo initially posted is a dishonest photo. It makes it look like these guys were "taking position" in a parking lot, ready for a firefight, when in reality they were cheerily posing for a group photo.

I fell for it, too, the first time I saw it.

I've been pondering this, and I think that if I were one of the subjects in those photos, I would feel ashamed, not angry at Thinkprogress for misrepresenting me while I was busy intimidating Mothers Against Gun Violence. I would think, "it looks like I'm taking position in a parking lot against some innocent mothers. That's horrifying. When was that taken? I don't remember that. Oh, it was during our photoshoot. Well, that looks really bad, I look really bad. Why was I intimidating Mothers Against Gun Violence in the first place? I shouldn't have even been there."

Unethical on Thinkprogress's part, somewhat expected. Profoundly stupid on the open carry advocates' part.

While we're on the subject, no one has ever adequately explained how open carry advocates tell one another apart from spree shooters or the actually unarmed John Crawfords of the world.
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Iamwhomiam » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:52 pm

Robert, Re Rex: :clapping:

And Nordic, about this:
But the photo initially posted is a dishonest photo. It makes it look like these guys were "taking position" in a parking lot, ready for a firefight, when in reality they were cheerily posing for a group photo.

It's exactly the same scene. As seen from two different perspectives.

But let's not do any misleading ourselves, ok. They had one purpose only in being gathered there and it wasn't for lunch at Hooters; it was a show of force meant to intimidate the women meeting inside.

I don't think any of the women meeting would call it a cheery group photo, but might term it a photo of a group of armed bullies.

It's all a matter of perspective.

edited once to replace up arrows preceding hand clap with words. Sorry, I hadn't noticed Luther's posting prior to mine.
Iamwhomiam

Postby 82_28 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:35 pm

Definitely not misleading on thinkprogress' part. As Iam says, simply a different perspective yet was the same act. We all know what meticulously crazy people do when given a firearm. I know Iam certainly agrees, but anything to sully their selfish efforts all based upon an obsession with the latest and greatest weapon and having ABSOLUTLEY NOTHING TO DO WITH SAFETY is only them reliving playing with their war toys of their youth. I was obsessed with matchbox cars as a kid and when I "grew up" I obsessed over getting my own "real" car. It's all fantasy!

I'm glad I don't drive anymore. I just took a short walk to the grocery store and I witnessed THREE INSANE acts of road-rage on my way. People screaming at one another, gunning it (the gas) and forever honking. Add a gun to this mix. All of it nothing more than fantasy and a disregard of others. The dude that was screaming I noticed was screaming at an old lady in front of him. He didn't know, yet he did it anyway. Going too slow for him or changing lanes or something when he wanted to SPEED -- SPEED TO NOWHERE. Traffic as it was looked like it was going nowhere quick. That said, from my perspective it looked totally stupid and needless. Thus, stupid and needless and probably scared the lady. I could have filmed the antics from my phone and it would have looked different from the asshole and from the perspective of the old lady.

Fuck all of it. Leave your fancy weapons at home.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby norton ash » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:46 am

But I like incompetent, ailing people on drugs driving heavy tanks of explosive fuel around really fast.
Zen horse
norton ash

Postby Iamwhomiam » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:23 pm

Teen again wakes to find stranger sleeping in home

Associated Press
3 hours ago

HONOLULU (AP) — For the second time in eight months, a teenage girl in Waimanalo awoke to find a strange man asleep in her home.

In May, the girl spotted a man she didn't recognize on the second bed in her bedroom. On Saturday, she stepped into the living room to see another stranger asleep on the couch, KHON-TV (http://bit.ly/1yHJGpJ ) reported.

"I don't understand why it keeps happening to me and my family," said Donald Crummer, the girl's father.

Crummer was at work Saturday morning when he received a call from police.

He said his daughter woke up at 9:30, walked out in the front room and saw the man, grabbed a stick used in martial arts and barricaded herself in the bedroom, then called 911.

The case in May made headlines because it took four 911 calls and 45 minutes for an officer to arrive at their doorstep. Honolulu Police Chief Louis Kealoha last month apologized for the delayed response and promised an internal investigation.

Crummer's daughter didn't have to wait long for an officer this time. An officer arrived in three minutes, he said.

Crummer doesn't know how the suspect got inside of his home. There were no signs of a break-in.

"I'm a general contractor. I'm obviously going to secure my home better. I'm going to build a sliding, rolling gate in front of my house. I'm going to put my dogs in the front yard from now on," Crummer said.

His daughter is trained in martial arts, he said, but he realized the outcome could have been different.

"She's kind of laughing at the dumb luck of it all. And thank God we can laugh at it. Thank God that nothing has happened to this point," Crummer said.

John Fritz pleaded no contest to unauthorized entry in the first case and will be sentenced next month.

Police on Saturday took a 21-year-old man into custody. He was not immediately charged.
___
Information from: KHON-TV, http://khon.com

http://news.yahoo.com/teen-again-wakes-stranger-sleeping-home-205614323.html

"That's my story and I'm sticking with it."
Iamwhomiam

Postby coffin_dodger » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:11 am

Jeans made that will prevent 'digital pickpocketing' 17 December 2014

A pair of jeans containing material that blocks wireless signals is being developed in conjunction with anti-virus firm Norton.

The trousers are intended to stop thieves hacking into radio frequency identification (RFID) tagged passports or contactless payment cards.

cont - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-30513497
coffin_dodger

Blog: View Blog (14)

Postby NaturalMystik » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:56 am

The CBC is on a roll tonight:

Man attacked with sword rushed to hospital
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/m ... -1.2896832

Tobogganing a 'hisk-risk activity,' doctor says - Prohibited on 14 hills around Toronto, banned in Hamilton
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/t ... -1.2896701

Man loses pants in robbery
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/m ... -1.2896631

:roll:
Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling the transmission.
NaturalMystik

Postby Grizzly » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:32 am

http://reverbpress.com/politics/male-se ... wim-naked/
Male Senators Banned Women From Senate Pool So They Could Swim Naked

What are we in Rome? Further, and they lets them?
“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby NaturalMystik » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:27 pm

King Tut’s mask broken and glued back together at museum

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/king- ... -1.2927808

:wallhead:
Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling the transmission.
NaturalMystik

Postby MinM » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:05 am

@thedailybeast: All those times @TheOnion correctly predicted the future: http://thebea.st/1zER2Mv

Earth-704509
MinM

Postby Jerky » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:26 pm

Actually, the photo and the way it was presented in the article WAS misleading. It just was. Sorry if you don't like that fact, but it's a fact.

J
Jerky

Postby Iamwhomiam » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:44 pm

If you're referring to the MDA gatheriing, I disagree. I found nothing misleading at all. Please point out for us what was misleading in the story.
Iamwhomiam

Postby Jerky » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:02 pm

IamWhoIam, I think it's abundantly clear from just looking at it, and from what Nordic said, exactly what's wrong with that really quite dishonest photograph, especially in conjunction with the article, which features the line:

"The statement added that the members and restaurant customers were 'terrified by what appeared to be an ARMED AMBUSH." (caps mine)

That combination of photo and article even led known open carry advocate Wombat to react thusly:

"I think that's a couple light years away from TAKING POSITION BEHIND A CAR in a restaurant parking lot with 39 friends, though." (caps mine)

I hope this is clear enough for you.

J
Jerky

Postby Jerky » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:04 pm

I would like to add for the record that I am in favor of sensible gun control laws, and that I suffered a viciously violent home invasion over my landlord's stupid fucking gun collection on Christmas Eve, 2010.

J
Jerky

Postby Jerky » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:07 pm

I would also like to say that, when I saw Nordic's post about the real nature of that photo, I was taken aback, as I, myself, had seen it the way that Wombaticus (and, I'm assuming, most people) saw it... a deception which I have no doubt is exactly what the original publishers of this story intended. And I don't like being manipulated... especially not by ostensible "journalists" who are, ostensibly, on "my side".

J
Jerky

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion