Stories that should come from The Onion but don't

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Stories that should come from The Onion but don't

Postby BenDhyan » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:40 pm

:roll:

Mystery as sheep stand in bizarre circle pattern that baffled social media users compare to alien ship

Alex Winter 10 Apr 2021

Christopher Hogg, of village Rottingdean in East Sussex, was out on his bike when he saw the sheep gathered together.

The 47-year-old said: "I was on my daily cycle when I came over the hill and saw this magnificent circle.

"At that point I was about half a mile away, which made me think that whatever it was, it was huge.

"It was saucer-shaped, like an alien ship.

"And it was beautiful - but also a bit too weird for comfort.

"I cycled a bit closer and then realised the circle was made of sheep."

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/14604921/mystery-sheep-stand-bizarre-circle-baffled-alien/
Ben D
BenDhyan

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Harvey » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:17 pm

Perhaps Christopher missed the reference.

Perhaps the Urantians did too. :partyhat

:shrug:
And while we spoke of many things, fools and kings
This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Blog: View Blog (20)

WTF

Postby JackRiddler » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:34 pm

WTF is it with these idiots setting off big fireworks for their gender reveal parties? Is it what now, at least two deaths? Nuts!
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Re: WTF

Postby Spiro C. Thiery » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:29 am

JackRiddler » Today, 04:34 wrote:WTF is it with these idiots setting off big fireworks for their gender reveal parties? Is it what now, at least two deaths? Nuts!

Therein lies the difference between a "real" news item and satire. Had this actually been in the Onion, your quote would have been featured as a parody of the pearl-clutching overreaction, which is why I only posted the headline.
Seeing the world through rose-colored latex.
Spiro C. Thiery

Postby DrEvil » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:46 pm

If I ever (God forbid) have kids, I'm going to sell the reveal as an NFT.
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Postby JackRiddler » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:00 pm

DrEvil » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:46 pm wrote:If I ever (God forbid) have kids, I'm going to sell the reveal as an NFT.

Should be in The Onion. They may as well get ahead of the inevitable.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

JackRiddler

Postby Grizzly » Wed May 05, 2021 10:42 pm

Get em, KATIE!

Katie Halper

The CIA has released a recruitment ad to appeal to all the intersectional, anti-racist, feminist imperialists dying (and killing) to spread war, death, destruction and imperialism abroad. It stars a cis-gender, millennial, Zora Neale Hurston-quoting, Generalized Anxiety Disorder-Suffering Latina CIA officer. Esha Krishnaswamy and Katie react to the video, analyze its language and wonder who could possibly be reached by it. Also, are neoliberals convertible?

***Please support The Katie Halper Show ***
On Patreon https://www.patreon.com/thekatiehalpe...​
Follow Katie on Twitter: https://twitter.com/kthalps​,

Bonus: (Surprised but glad it's still on alphabet-tube)
Harold Pinter Nobel Lecture Part 2

[For accurate English subtitles click on CC] Nobel Lecture by Harold Pinter, winner of the 2005 Nobel Prize for Literature: "Art, Truth and Politics." Transcript available at https://off-guardian.org/2018/01/24/harold-pinter-in-2005-nobel-address-the-us-is-brutal-indifferent-scornful-and-ruthless/
“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby Grizzly » Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:41 pm

Dr. Christine Grady (Fauci's fucking wife!) Is Researching America's Ethical Response To COVID-19 (June 2020)
https://www.elle.com/culture/career-politics/a32715031/fauci-christine-grady-nih-covid/

:wallhead: :starz:

“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby drstrangelove » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:21 am

DrEvil » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:46 pm wrote:If I ever (God forbid) have kids, I'm going to sell the reveal as an NFT.

Sell the kids and keep their NFTs.
drstrangelove

Postby DrEvil » Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:57 pm

:lol:

Don't give me ideas.
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Biden press con after Putin summit

Postby JackRiddler » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:20 pm

.@POTUS: "How would it be if the United States were viewed by the rest of the world as interfering with the elections directly of other countries and everybody knew it? What would it be like if we engaged in activities that he engaged in? It diminishes the standing of a country."

video
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1405219989712424966

JackRiddler

Re: Biden press con after Putin summit

Postby norton ash » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:33 pm

JackRiddler » Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:20 pm wrote:.@POTUS: "How would it be if the United States were viewed by the rest of the world as interfering with the elections directly of other countries and everybody knew it? What would it be like if we engaged in activities that he engaged in? It diminishes the standing of a country."

video

Watched the press conference where he said this. I don't think any mainstream media have called him out on it either. Hil-arious.
Zen horse
norton ash

Re: Biden press con after Putin summit

Postby JackRiddler » Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:40 am

norton ash » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:33 pm wrote:
JackRiddler » Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:20 pm wrote:.@POTUS: "How would it be if the United States were viewed by the rest of the world as interfering with the elections directly of other countries and everybody knew it? What would it be like if we engaged in activities that he engaged in? It diminishes the standing of a country."

video

Watched the press conference where he said this. I don't think any mainstream media have called him out on it either. Hil-arious.

In the American White House media corps, Biden was speaking to the only assemblage of humans on the planet able to hear him say that and not burst into laughter. Impressive.

JackRiddler

Postby dada » Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:29 pm

Maybe we could unpack this a bit, I think it gets at what I see to be the basic "social dilemma" in mass culture. Our dear leader of the free world makes official statement displaying complete ignorance of historical fact. Now Russia can't reply officially, setting the record straight, because then it looks like saying, "our meddling is nothing compared to America's meddling."

But "setting the record straight" does have a home in mainstream media, in the mainstream alternative represented by corporate outfits like RT and offguardian. It is the "other side of the mainstream dialectic," marketed to consumers that identify with the mainstream alternative brands.

Now those who "set the record straight," on American meddling, but don't identify with the mainstream corporate alternative, can take the third mainstream option, which we'll call the "progressive liberal blogosphere," in the context of Internet. Beginning in the early years of the new american century, in the circle around air america, and is now a longstanding by Internet standards, successful "mainstream alternative" spinoff social group in its own right. The basic thrust is the "you can't make this shit up" take, which is the topic of this thread. Like the Stewarts and Olivers, politics delivered with tongue firmly planted in cheek.

The dilemma then is presented to transgressive culture as a choice between pointing this out, which reinforces mass culture in all social strata, a digging in of the heels. Or not, and giving mass culture nothing else to push against.

The question then is what will help most, reinforcing the social structure of mass culture, or staying out of it, letting mass culture unfold without a transgressive voice to rally against. So it's like a matter of a pushing of society, a kind of social accelerationism, or letting it go on its merry way without interruption. The dilemma is in figuring out which tactic to take at each moment, to help bring the society of mass culture to its ultimate and inevitable breakdown point sooner rather than later.
Both his words and manner of speech seemed at first totally unfamiliar to me, and yet somehow they stirred memories - as an actor might be stirred by the forgotten lines of some role he had played far away and long ago.
dada

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion