Open Letter From Dylan Farrow on Abuse by Woody Allan

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Open Letter From Dylan Farrow on Abuse by Woody Allan

Postby brekin » Thu May 12, 2016 12:00 pm

One thing I've learned from others is not to use the R.I. search, but just Google: Rigorous Intuition (and whatever you are looking for, Woody Allen, etc.)

This seems to be the quickest way to dial down to certain threads.

As long as people are titling their threads with some logical semblance to the post that is.
If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
I hang onto my prejudices, they are the testicles of my mind. Eric Hoffer
brekin

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby zangtang » Thu May 12, 2016 1:01 pm

'Hold the chapati and dhal' !
zangtang

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby brekin » Thu May 12, 2016 4:53 pm

Scarlett Johansson, Woody Allen muse and hitherto silent collaborator, becomes the new pin up girl for M̶a̶t̶h̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶H̶a̶r̶d̶!̶
Reading Magazine Articles is Hard!

Why should she have an opinion on such a matter, really?
It would be irresponsible.

Translation: I'm only in it for the fame & money and Allen hasn't gone Cosby radioactive yet.

Scarlett Johansson Speaks Out on Woody Allen Abuse Controversy: ‘It’s All Guesswork’

MARCH 16, 2014 | 03:38PM PT
Scarlett Johansson has spoken for the first time about the Woody Allen sexual abuse allegations since being called out in Dylan Farrow’s open letter last month, and she calls the criticism “irresponsible.”

Johansson was one of several Hollywood figures, along with Cate Blanchett, Alec Baldwin and others, to be addressed by Allen’s estranged daughter in an open letter detailing Farrow’s alleged sexual abuse at the hands of Allen. Johansson has finally spoken out about the controversy in an interview with the Guardian, published Saturday.

“I think it’s irresponsible to take a bunch of actors that will have a Google alert on and to suddenly throw their name into a situation that none of us could possibly knowingly comment on,” Johansson said. “That just feels irresponsible to me.”

Johansson has often been seen as a muse for Allen, appearing in his films “Match Point,” “Scoop” and “Vicky Christina Barcelona.” Upon being asked about the backlash to Allen, the thesp said she didn’t think there was one.

“I’m unaware that there’s been a backlash,” she said. “I think he’ll continue to know what he knows about the situation, and I’m sure the other people involved have their own experience with it. It’s not like this is somebody that’s been prosecuted and found guilty of something, and you can then go, ‘I don’t support this lifestyle or whatever.’ I mean, it’s all guesswork.”

“I don’t know anything about it,” she went on. “It would be ridiculous for me to make any kind of assumption one way or the other. ”

The two have been open about their mutual admiration for each other in the past. Allen has called her “sexually overwhelming” and commented on her “acting ability to be not just a passing pinup girl but a genuinely meaningful actress.” Johansson responded by saying she would “sew the hems of his pants if he asked me to.”

Allen was recently nominated for an Academy Award for “Blue Jasmine,” and Blanchett earned one for her starring role in the drama. Johansson can next be seen in “Captain America: The Winter Soldier,” which will be in U.S. theaters April 4.

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/scarl ... 201135650/
If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
brekin

Postby Nordic » Fri May 13, 2016 1:30 am

What do you expect? It's Hollywood, where nobody wants to go on the record saying anything bad about anybody. It's all smiles and cheek-kisses until the back is turned.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby RocketMan » Fri May 13, 2016 1:52 am

She's an alright actor and of course Hollywood gorgeous, but she lost me when she picked Soda Stream with factories in occupied Palestine territories over Oxfam. A craven cog in the machine.

This just about sums it up: Reading Magazine Articles is Hard!
-I don't like hoodlums.
-That's just a word, Marlowe. We have that kind of world. Two wars gave it to us and we are going to keep it.
RocketMan

Postby Nordic » Fri May 13, 2016 2:46 am

Am I missing something or are you guys assuming she's a bimbo? I don't think she is.
Nordic

Postby RocketMan » Fri May 13, 2016 3:09 am

Nordic » Fri May 13, 2016 9:46 am wrote:Am I missing something or are you guys assuming she's a bimbo? I don't think she is.

"A craven cog in the machine" is, I believe, the parlance I used. :evilgrin

No, I don't think she's a bimbo. Just... after money & fame. Plus, most people who sign up for the whole Marvel Universe monstrosity are on my shit list.
-I don't like hoodlums.
-That's just a word, Marlowe. We have that kind of world. Two wars gave it to us and we are going to keep it.
RocketMan

Postby brekin » Fri May 13, 2016 12:14 pm

RocketMan wrote:
Nordic » Fri May 13, 2016 9:46 am wrote:Am I missing something or are you guys assuming she's a bimbo? I don't think she is.

No, I don't think she's a bimbo. Just... after money & fame. Plus, most people who sign up for the whole Marvel Universe monstrosity are on my shit list.

bim·bo: an attractive but empty-headed young woman, especially one perceived as a willing sex object.

I don't know, sounds almost synonymous with her and career arc,

Scarlett Johansson: an attractive but empty-headed young woman, especially one perceived as a willing sex object.
brekin

Postby Nordic » Fri May 13, 2016 10:33 pm

brekin » Fri May 13, 2016 11:14 am wrote:
RocketMan wrote:

bim·bo: an attractive but empty-headed young woman, especially one perceived as a willing sex object.

Scarlett Johansson: an attractive but empty-headed young woman, especially one perceived as a willing sex object.

That is an extremely sexist thing to say. Seriously. And I'm about as far from a PC Nazi as you can get.
Nordic

Postby Nordic » Sun May 15, 2016 4:39 pm

http://www.indiewire.com/article/susan- ... d-20160515

Susan Sarandon Slams Woody Allen at Cannes: 'He Sexually Assaulted a Child'

By Michael Nordine | Indiewire
May 15, 2016 at 12:34PM

"I have nothing good to say about him," she added.

Woody Allen is once again making headlines for non-cinematic reasons. A Hollywood Reporter article by Ronan Farrow and a joke by French comedian Laurent Lafitte have both reignited discussion about Allen's daughter Dylan Farrow's accusations that the filmmaker molested her when she was seven years old, which led to a case that was eventually dropped. Susan Sarandon is now adding to the chorus: “I think he sexually assaulted a child and I don’t think that’s right,” the said actress said during a Women in Motion talk at Cannes held by Variety and Keurig.

READ MORE: Woody Allen Reacts To Cannes Rape Joke & Likens Ronan Farrow's Abuse Essay To A Bad Review

“I have nothing good to say about him,” added Sarandon. “I don’t want to go there.” During the opening ceremony earlier this week, Lafitte made a joke directed toward Allen that's said to have elicited more gasps than laughs: "You've been shooting so many of your films here in Europe and yet in the U.S. you haven't even been convicted for rape." Lafitte later said that his joke was misinterpreted and he wasn't aware of Farrow's article. "When I wrote this joke," he said, "it was more a joke about Europe and why one of the greatest American directors spent years in Europe, [while Allen] didn't have to because he wasn't accused of rape in his own country, compared to Roman Polanski. It was [meant] as a joke about American puritanism and the fact that it is surprising that an American director wants to do so many movies in Europe. I didn't know about the other stuff."
Nordic

Postby brekin » Sun May 15, 2016 5:51 pm

Nordic » Fri May 13, 2016 9:33 pm wrote:
brekin » Fri May 13, 2016 11:14 am wrote:
RocketMan wrote:

That is an extremely sexist thing to say. Seriously. And I'm about as far from a PC Nazi as you can get.

Whatever, I just watched Captain America: Civil War yesterday and with a ton of ho-hum performances and boring dialogue her time on screen rivaled Keanu Reeves. To assuage your sensitives, though, I'll say Keanu is a male bimbo (empty headed young man, perceived as a willing sex object) and Johannson is basically Keanu in drag. Never have seen anything she's been in that has risen above mumbly sleep walk. The allusions of her being a star of the classic era are totally bonkers, maybe she can vamp for a magazine shoot, but her dynamism doesn't even come in the range of any of those stars in a coma.

Her whole appeal seems to be a flat affected, somnolent, minimalist personality with gestures to a supposed deeper mystery in a semi-voluptuous body. From Ghost World, Lost in Translation, Lucy, The Avengers, Under the Skin, etc she's basically playing "the basic pleasure model" young female android, walking doll with limited verbal and mental faculties, for most males fantasies. (Any wonder why she is then Allen's muse?). Which is fine, a lady has to work, but I've never seen anything from her that she wants, or is capable, of more. Maybe she does, how would I know, why should I care?
Please don't bother trying to find her.
She's not there.

brekin

Postby Cordelia » Sun May 15, 2016 6:20 pm

Nordic » Sun May 15, 2016 7:39 pm wrote:http://www.indiewire.com/article/susan-sarandon-slams-woody-allen-at-cannes-he-sexually-assaulted-a-child-20160515

Susan Sarandon Slams Woody Allen at Cannes: 'He Sexually Assaulted a Child'

By Michael Nordine | Indiewire
May 15, 2016 at 12:34PM

"I have nothing good to say about him," she added.

Woody Allen is once again making headlines for non-cinematic reasons. A Hollywood Reporter article by Ronan Farrow and a joke by French comedian Laurent Lafitte have both reignited discussion about Allen's daughter Dylan Farrow's accusations that the filmmaker molested her when she was seven years old, which led to a case that was eventually dropped. Susan Sarandon is now adding to the chorus: “I think he sexually assaulted a child and I don’t think that’s right,” the said actress said during a Women in Motion talk at Cannes held by Variety and Keurig.

READ MORE: Woody Allen Reacts To Cannes Rape Joke & Likens Ronan Farrow's Abuse Essay To A Bad Review

“I have nothing good to say about him,” added Sarandon. “I don’t want to go there.” During the opening ceremony earlier this week, Lafitte made a joke directed toward Allen that's said to have elicited more gasps than laughs: "You've been shooting so many of your films here in Europe and yet in the U.S. you haven't even been convicted for rape." Lafitte later said that his joke was misinterpreted and he wasn't aware of Farrow's article. "When I wrote this joke," he said, "it was more a joke about Europe and why one of the greatest American directors spent years in Europe, [while Allen] didn't have to because he wasn't accused of rape in his own country, compared to Roman Polanski. It was [meant] as a joke about American puritanism and the fact that it is surprising that an American director wants to do so many movies in Europe. I didn't know about the other stuff."

So it was really just a joke about America, puritanism and Europe, using rape as its humor vehicle? Or he recanted and spun this interpretation to save his career? Or Allen threatened his family bodily harm? Or.......... it's just another industry populated by assholes?
Cordelia

Postby Nordic » Sun May 15, 2016 6:32 pm

Brekin check out her performances in "Her" (just her voice) or in Joseph Gordon-Levitt's "Don Jon". You'll see she's actually a very good actress. If you see her on talk shows her personality is very different than the type of characters you're talking about. I don't know her personally and I think her sponsorship of Sodastream was abhorrent but I'm pretty sure she's half Jewish so maybe there's family stuff at work. And who knows maybe she's a cunt although in my line of work I probably would have heard the rumors about that if in fact she were.

That being said (and I know you don't care one bit) I think you're backtracking and your original "assessment" displayed a shameful level of sexism.

Keanu Reeves is an extremely nice guy and has been known to give ridiculous amounts of money away to people he barely knows who are in financial trouble. Just on the spot, no looking for tax write-offs, just helping a brother out. FWIW.
Nordic

Postby brekin » Sun May 15, 2016 8:11 pm

Nordic » Sun May 15, 2016 5:32 pm wrote:Brekin check out her performances in "Her" (just her voice) or in Joseph Gordon-Levitt's "Don Jon". You'll see she's actually a very good actress. If you see her on talk shows her personality is very different than the type of characters you're talking about. I don't know her personally and I think her sponsorship of Sodastream was abhorrent but I'm pretty sure she's half Jewish so maybe there's family stuff at work. And who knows maybe she's a cunt although in my line of work I probably would have heard the rumors about that if in fact she were.

That being said (and I know you don't care one bit) I think you're backtracking and your original "assessment" displayed a shameful level of sexism.

Keanu Reeves is an extremely nice guy and has been known to give ridiculous amounts of money away to people he barely knows who are in financial trouble. Just on the spot, no looking for tax write-offs, just helping a brother out. FWIW.

Nah, not seeing it (the sexism part), I'm judging her on the work I've seen of hers, some interviews, articles, etc I've given her more than the benefit of doubt. I assume some people have bum roles, off seasons of their lives, type casting, play to the stereotype, aren't completely informed, are learning their craft, etc. but I've given her too much money at this point to assume she'll do anything out of her established mien, or could. I think it is only fair, reasonable and just to judge someone by their actual work, not the perception of it or give them pass for what is supposedly PC, I would do the same for a male and if anything knowing a lot of roles for women can be one note, I've withheld judgment for a long, long time, but end of the day (haven't seen the two you pieces you've mentioned aside) I stand by my judgement. I don't expect great things from Ashton Kutcher either.

She may be a nice person one on one, kind to animals, etc. but I'm talking about her career arc and the image she consistently presents, she really just seems to be selling a certain type of sex appeal and in a very lazy way. There a thousands of dunderhead guy actors selling a predictable mix of macho and hunkiness also, and that is all they want or can, so I don't see how I'm not allowed to comment across the gender line. I personally don't agree with Natalie Portman's politics or morality (dish is she's a bit of a homewrecker) and she comes across as completely annoying in most interviews, but I have to respect her craft and roles she pursues, her depth. I could see Portman doing pretty much every role Johannson has done, but seeing Johanson struggling in at least half of the ones Portman has done. :shrug:
brekin

Postby 82_28 » Sun May 15, 2016 9:26 pm

Can Allan be changed to the correct Allen, Sr. Rex? We know who is meant, just corrected in the OP title for searching reasons and stuff.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion