Open Letter From Dylan Farrow on Abuse by Woody Allan

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Open Letter From Dylan Farrow on Abuse by Woody Allan

Postby 82_28 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:37 pm

It's probably for the decades of the media fawning over him. I am slightly young, but I gave Allen's flicks a try way back when and I thought they sucked.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Agent Orange Cooper » Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:54 pm

I'd lick a bear's ass before I took anything Slate has to say seriously.
Agent Orange Cooper

Postby Nordic » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:08 am

brekin » Tue May 17, 2016 1:24 pm wrote:
Nordic wrote:
Cordelia » Mon May 16, 2016 11:32 am wrote:
Nordic » Sat May 14, 2016 1:33 am wrote:
That is an extremely sexist thing to say. Seriously. And I'm about as far from a PC Nazi as you can get.

But using the 'c' word isn't?

Seriously. And I'm also about as far from a PC Nazi as you can get.

Hm who did I happen to use the C word on, and in what context? Context is everything, really. I really don't mind calling someone a bimbo if they fit the description.

Context:

Nordic » Sun May 15, 2016 5:32 pm wrote:Brekin check out her performances in "Her" (just her voice) or in Joseph Gordon-Levitt's "Don Jon". You'll see she's actually a very good actress. If you see her on talk shows her personality is very different than the type of characters you're talking about. I don't know her personally and I think her sponsorship of Sodastream was abhorrent but I'm pretty sure she's half Jewish so maybe there's family stuff at work. And who knows maybe she's a cunt although in my line of work I probably would have heard the rumors about that if in fact she were.

That being said (and I know you don't care one bit) I think you're backtracking and your original "assessment" displayed a shameful level of sexism.

Just finally saw this. Really? That is literally NOT calling anyone a cunt. So just putting the word cunt in a sentence makes you a "user" of the word "cunt"? Hm I always thought calling someone was a cunt actually cuntstituted the crime of calling someone a cunt. I guess that was very cuntish of me to merely use the word in a way to actually suggest that the woman in question was most definitely not a cunt. I cunt have any real regrets over that though.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby Iamwhomiam » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:14 pm

How about choosing not to use such an offensive word, regardless of context?
Iamwhomiam

Postby Karmamatterz » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:20 pm

People use the word dick quite often on this board when referring to men. Do you feel the same way about the use of that word? They both apply to the same genitally appropriate parts. The C word is complained about here and there on this board but I don't recall anybody complaining about the D word. That seems sexist.
Karmamatterz

Postby brekin » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:04 pm

Karmamatterz wrote:

People use the word dick quite often on this board when referring to men. Do you feel the same way about the use of that word? They both apply to the same genitally appropriate parts. The C word is complained about here and there on this board but I don't recall anybody complaining about the D word. That seems sexist.

If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
I hang onto my prejudices, they are the testicles of my mind. Eric Hoffer
brekin

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Iamwhomiam » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:23 pm

Your comment unfortunately reflects the locker room mentality pervasive here.

Yes, I've recently used the word prick, the first ever in my 11 years with RI, in a joke.

I've often been accused of being one of the thought police squad, so usually I let go of such argument without challenge.

We long ago had been asked to forego using the c word by women who post here. I respect that request. We all should.

I am always offended when one uses crude offensive language in place of a more appropriate and non-sexually offensive synonym.
Iamwhomiam

Postby 82_28 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:11 pm

I call figures I can't stand cocksuckers and dickheads all the time. I understand that in like the "UK" and shit the use of "cunt" is used "differently". But whatever.

EDIT: Never to anyone's face though!
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby Cordelia » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:45 pm

Iamwhomiam wrote:Your comment unfortunately reflects the locker room mentality pervasive here.

Yes, I've recently used the word prick, the first ever in my 11 years with RI, in a joke.

I've often been accused of being one of the thought police squad, so usually I let go of such argument without challenge.

We long ago had been asked to forego using the c word by women who post here. I respect that request. We all should.

I am always offended when one uses crude offensive language in place of a more appropriate and non-sexually offensive synonym.

I agree. And it seems to me much easier to do in print. (Though I've been told that I talk like a sailor).........

Cordelia

Postby pegcarter » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:40 pm

I wonder what ever happened to the driver?
Looks like all the links point to : Farrow won her case But that didn't stop Woody pretending he was the innocent victim and having he and his surrogates viciously attack her.

Kind of obvious that the mother, Mia, is a complete distraction from the case.. since it's the daughter who continues to state her case and hold her ground.. Logically does that make sense if Allen is innocent?

Go through this book and see how many fallacies you can name being used by the Woody apologists

Here's one :
#1 Argument from consequences
"If Woody is found guilty in the public mind what will become of his legacy as a great film - maker? We can't let that happen."

guruilla » Mon May 16, 2016 1:26 pm wrote:Returning to topic, this is something posted in comments section at my blog in 2014:

20 years ago when Woody Allen first was accused of Pedophilia by his long-time partner Mia Farrow, I coincidentally ran into Allen’s chauffeur at a diner on the Upper West Side of NYC.. I told him I was a therapist and he unloaded on me his fears “How could someone do that?” and his offers from both “sides” to be their witness.. I wrote it up and tried to get it published at “The Realist” but was rejected. When the story was refreshed recently: his erstwhile adopted daughter, who has changed her name” stood by her original childhood experience and wrote/ published publicly how disgusted she was seeing the man who obviously ruined , to some degree, the life of her family; and disrupted her own life – having people call her a liar etc. And run her mother through a gauntlet of accusations…

So I found the article I had written and realized I , myself, had skirted the issue in my original writing.. The chauffeur had definitely told me that Allen had a sick obsession with his adopted daughter since she was 3.. And that he had driven Allen across town every morning for years so he could get to the child’s house in time to spend private time with her… And that the chauffeur’s opinion was that he was “in love” with the little girl in an unhealthy way… The chauffeur, himself, didn’t want to face what logic would lead one to believe.

Among the public commentary on the re-opening of this case I found a very revealing first – person narrative by a man who had been sexually abused by his father when he was a child.:

“Woody Allen Is Not a Monster. He Is a Person. Like My Father.”
http://gawker.com/woody-allen-is-not-a- ... 1518291644

The author tackles the issue of how normal his father appeared … And, in reality, probably was?

I found it extremely humorous that people [who hadn’t looked into the case, nor studied it] fell for the bold lies of Woody Allen published prominently in the New York Times…Wherein he named the mother to be the demonic witchy unstable vengeful receptacle of his scape – goating.

According to the chauffeur, a conversation I recorded almost 20 years ago, Allen had started “working on” Soon Yi when she was 14; so it wasn’t a case of “instant falling in love” when she was 19.

It was a metaphor, for me, of so much going on , on many different levels and throughout many different examples / stories. It is a “killing joke” representative of mass perversion…

Recently I was ordered a routine colonoscopy… Through that experience I discovered there is a drug which can be administered to make you lose all short term memory of what occurred in the hour before the drug is administered..

.Much as vets get onto ketamine, I’m wondering how many anesthesiologists make “good use” of this drug..

Some of my twit pic commentary on the Allen / Dylan public controversy.
Oh, the two new adopted daughters strongly resemble the original abuse victims, Soon Yi and “Dylan”

http://twitpic.com/dv0w6m
http://twitpic.com/dux3gn
http://www.celebitchy.com/234399/woody_ ... e_hotel-9/
http://twitpic.com/dv3jpc

I learned from this: people are very attached to their memories… For many New Yorkers, especially Upper West Side, “intellectual” well – to – do ; Woody Allen is a major part of their identity “taste” “what I like” and of their family memories.. That becomes very hard to reconcile: when an un-kind truth interfers with one’s actual memories / what one holds dear.

Reading this story of a young person’s experience reminded me of the importance of memories: “Don’t mess with my memories” Memories are a part of identity.. … She describes her inner conflict on reading the statements released by “Dylan”

http://www.refinery29.com/2014/01/60636 ... edium=post

Apparently “Hollywood” is all on “Woody’s side” which belies the notion there is a public “clean up” to make people feel better on the subject..

https://auticulture.wordpress.com/2014/ ... mment-3543
pegcarter

Postby brekin » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:18 pm

Nordic wrote:
Nordic wrote:
That is an extremely sexist thing to say. Seriously. And I'm about as far from a PC Nazi as you can get.

Hm who did I happen to use the C word on, and in what context? Context is everything, really. I really don't mind calling someone a bimbo if they fit the description.

Context:

Nordic » Sun May 15, 2016 5:32 pm wrote:Brekin check out her performances in "Her" (just her voice) or in Joseph Gordon-Levitt's "Don Jon". You'll see she's actually a very good actress. If you see her on talk shows her personality is very different than the type of characters you're talking about. I don't know her personally and I think her sponsorship of Sodastream was abhorrent but I'm pretty sure she's half Jewish so maybe there's family stuff at work. And who knows maybe she's a cunt although in my line of work I probably would have heard the rumors about that if in fact she were.

That being said (and I know you don't care one bit) I think you're backtracking and your original "assessment" displayed a shameful level of sexism.

Just finally saw this. Really? That is literally NOT calling anyone a cunt. So just putting the word cunt in a sentence makes you a "user" of the word "cunt"? Hm I always thought calling someone was a cunt actually cuntstituted the crime of calling someone a cunt. I guess that was very cuntish of me to merely use the word in a way to actually suggest that the woman in question was most definitely not a cunt. I cunt have any real regrets over that though.

Geez, this is a bit of a distraction and I doubt any of this will convince you, but Nordic review your post, when you say "And who knows maybe she's a cunt although in my line of work I probably would have heard the rumors about..." you not only are you introducing and using the word in the relation to describing a woman (making you a user of the word) but holding out the possibility the woman is actually "one", thereby saying its a appropriate term to use, to call her if it fits. It's like me introducing using the N word about a black man saying I don't think he is one, but maybe he is, etc and then saying I'm not a user of the word and I didn't call him one...what? Didn't call him one yet? Because your still making up your mind? That's got to be the "I didn't inhale" equivalent defense of derogatory speech.
If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
brekin

Postby Iamwhomiam » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:30 pm

That's got to be the "I didn't inhale" equivalent defense of derogatory speech.

No, I don't think so. Perhaps this would be apt, though:

"I did not have sexual relations with that woman, Ms. Lewinsky."
Iamwhomiam

Postby Nordic » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:40 pm

brekin » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:18 pm wrote:
Nordic wrote:
Nordic wrote:

Context:

Geez, this is a bit of a distraction and I doubt any of this will convince you, but Nordic review your post, when you say "And who knows maybe she's a cunt although in my line of work I probably would have heard the rumors about..." you not only are you introducing and using the word in the relation to describing a woman (making you a user of the word) but holding out the possibility the woman is actually "one", thereby saying its a appropriate term to use, to call her if it fits. It's like me introducing using the N word about a black man saying I don't think he is one, but maybe he is, etc and then saying I'm not a user of the word and I didn't call him one...what? Didn't call him one yet? Because your still making up your mind? That's got to be the "I didn't inhale" equivalent defense of derogatory speech.

Okay well in the spirit of understanding, I appreciate that and if that's how it came across I apologize. More what I meant was perhaps, for all I know, there could possibly be, maybe, people out there who would be so offended by something in their experience with her that THEY would go so far as to call her that. I was using it as a bit of a hyperbole to make my point that I really doubted that any such people could exist. Because it just seems so unlikely as to be an absurd idea. Also word would get around. I've worked with plenty of people who have worked with her, some quite closely, and nobody has ever said anything negative about her. At all. Nobody's raved about how great she is either, so she's probably "normal" in that regard and is your basic pro who knows her lines, hits her marks, shows up on time, and isn't a prima donna or unpleasant to anyone. Some of these people can actually seem rather boring once the thrill is gone.

And I got little offended because I felt I was unfairly attacked when in fact I had not used that word to actually describe anyone. Used it, yes, but not to actually affix as a label on any target. Again I thought I was suggesting that, perhaps assuming that, if anyone did they were a bit of an asshole.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby Iamwhomiam » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:53 pm

Thank you for that, Nordic. Perhaps you'll ask your wife to read your comments and also ask her to share her opinion about your choice of wording. She may have a suggestion for you to use as a less offensive slander that you could use when seeking to disparage the character of another.

Just a suggestion.
Iamwhomiam

Postby brekin » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:55 pm

Nordic » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:40 pm wrote:
brekin » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:18 pm wrote:
Nordic wrote:
Nordic wrote:

Context:

Okay well in the spirit of understanding, I appreciate that and if that's how it came across I apologize. More what I meant was perhaps, for all I know, there could possibly be, maybe, people out there who would be so offended by something in their experience with her that THEY would go so far as to call her that. I was using it as a bit of a hyperbole to make my point that I really doubted that any such people could exist. Because it just seems so unlikely as to be an absurd idea. Also word would get around. I've worked with plenty of people who have worked with her, some quite closely, and nobody has ever said anything negative about her. At all. Nobody's raved about how great she is either, so she's probably "normal" in that regard and is your basic pro who knows her lines, hits her marks, shows up on time, and isn't a prima donna or unpleasant to anyone. Some of these people can actually seem rather boring once the thrill is gone.

And I got little offended because I felt I was unfairly attacked when in fact I had not used that word to actually describe anyone. Used it, yes, but not to actually affix as a label on any target. Again I thought I was suggesting that, perhaps assuming that, if anyone did they were a bit of an asshole.

No worries, and thanks for the apology. I get (and I think everyone else did) that wasn't your intent even if it came across like that. Just as my thoughts on her could have been misconstrued. We all have our missteps.

brekin

Previous

Return to General Discussion