Postby hanshan » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:40 pm

bumping

hanshan

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Grantchester Meadows

Postby minime » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:01 am

IanEye » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:49 pm wrote:
brekin » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:45 pm wrote:

Yeah, that caught my eye to. Just on a visual level there definitely are two opposites or partial individuals meeting (or being reunited?) to create a new being. A thesis, antithesis, and synthesis process.
-

It would be interesting to look at Floyd's catalog and see what albums/songs sync up with different scenes, episodes. The montage of Cohle and Hart settling into a domestic routine in their lives and careers after the meth shootout brought "Comfortably Numb" to mind.

The Division Bell tour pulled into Louisiana and performed on May 14, 1994.

In an exquisite synchronicity, On the Turning Away queued on VLC at the instant I looked at this post. I actually felt a little shock.

Start from here.
minime

Re: True Detective on HBO

Postby elfismiles » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:27 pm

Finished the season last night.

:partyhat
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby lucky » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:44 pm

me to - inthe uk- extraordinairy stuff, i will miss it.
There's holes in the sky where rain gets in
the holes are small
that's why rain is thin.
lucky

time is a flat circus

Postby IanEye » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:40 am

IanEye

Blog: View Blog (29)

Postby justdrew » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:41 pm

By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby brekin » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:50 pm

I just watched Out of the Furnace, which has got it's own ending fuck up and numerous plot holes as well as a serious man crush on The Deer Hunter, but one thing it really showcased was what a evil fuck Woody Harrelson can play.

Originally, in True Detective, remember Harrelson was going to play Rust and the other guy was going to play Cohle. I can see now how Harrelson might have been the better choice, but even further I see how much utterly squandered the opportunity for an actual examination of the progression of evil could have been shown if, as most everyone thought, either Rust or Cohle was the Yellow King.

See Rust and Cohle are part of the establishment, and start out as good guys. There were deep allusions that their darker halves would end up being dominant and they would be the dragon they were chasing at the end. Instead we got the usual Beverly Hills Cop buddy ending with the X-Files fog machines pumping in some conspiro-occulty atmospherics

It would have been more daring, more true, to show how pillars of society tasked with protecting the public from the darkness end up becoming instruments of the darkness. Or as this Russian guy says:

“If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?”
― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago 1918-1956

Harrelson as early Rust, "I'm just an ordinary average guy."

Harrelson as the Yellow King, "I'm the eater of time, you got that?."
If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
I hang onto my prejudices, they are the testicles of my mind. Eric Hoffer
brekin

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby minime » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:26 pm

I just watched Out of the Furnace, which has got it's own ending fuck up and numerous plot holes as well as a serious man crush on The Deer Hunter, but one thing it really showcased was what a evil fuck Woody Harrelson can play.

Maybe he's not acting. After all, his daddy was a hitman.
minime

Postby brekin » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:22 pm

minime » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:26 pm wrote:

Maybe he's not acting. After all, his daddy was a hitman.

All good acting is not acting.

But I think he did visit his dad once in prison. And found he didn't know if he wanted to maintain a relationship with him.
If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
brekin

Postby Hunter » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:58 pm

Rust and Cohle are the same person, Rust Cohle and Marty Hart are the two characters.
Hunter

Postby brekin » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:45 pm

Hunter wrote:Rust and Cohle are the same person, Rust Cohle and Marty Hart are the two characters.

Yeah, true dat. What I meant to say was Harrelson, who played Marty Hart was originally slated to play Rust. For the above stated reasons, I think Harrelson could have pulled it off, and if the show had more balls it would have been epic.
brekin

Postby Hunter » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:52 pm

brekin » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:45 pm wrote:
Hunter wrote:Rust and Cohle are the same person, Rust Cohle and Marty Hart are the two characters.

Yeah, true dat. What I meant to say was Harrelson, who played Marty Hart was originally slated to play Rust. For the above stated reasons, I think Harrelson could have pulled it off, and if the show had more balls it would have been epic.

Yea I knew what you meant, all great points, wasnt trying to be an ass was just clarifying for those who might get confused by it. :basicsmile
Hunter

Postby brekin » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:30 am

Hunter » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:52 pm wrote:
brekin » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:45 pm wrote:

Yea I knew what you meant, all great points, wasnt trying to be an ass was just clarifying for those who might get confused by it. :basicsmile

Oh, no worries. I appreciate the correction. Because I constantly have to google who was who. McCoughney was called Rusty, Rust, Cohle, Detective Cohle and Harrelson was frequently called Martin, Marty and Detective Hart. I tend to switch them around in my head, especially when I consider them possibly playing the other character or being the shadow half of the other. Add in the past and future versions of each one it gets crowded for a not very large cast.
brekin

Postby lucky » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:29 am

Below taken from Wrong way wizard - always good for a P.O.V.....

"I admired and enjoyed TD from top to bottom, so to speak. My controversial take is that TD is the most refined of television ventures which aim to circle around the great wave of ass fetishism rearing its head these days.

Truman Capote parodied his homosexual predilections (in "Breakfast at Tiffany's"), with a called a character called "Rusty Trawler".

Rustin Cohle provides a similar bon mot. RU stink-hole.

The name "Cohle" could be formed with a variety of spellings and the strained choice made by writers reinforces the "Rusty Hole" motif with an "o-h-l-e" jumble.

Rust's final injury would, of course, necessitate bowel resection and colostomy and a very likely death by peritonitis--making the final scene in hospital a trick Hollywood ending. Rust and Marty are likely dead, and as they muse upon the stars, they muse upon themselves.

DIFFICULTY LEVEL ASIAN

The theme of the Mississipi as a continental "waste passage" is persistant of late, and may represent a memetic hijack on the BP spill, which may in turn be regarded as a bait-and-switch cover-up for an industrial accident or some eminent domain issues UP stream from New Orleans, thus shoveling the fecal waste of the USA southward into the waters of Mexico. A serious researcher might look at environmental events along the mighty Miss, leading up to the BP "Spill". I am not such a researcher and yet, could the identified oil slicks along the "coast" in fact be the wash-back from a massive mass grave somewhere in southern Lousianna, which orginates deeply engounh inland that it could pollute the fresh water Muddy into a great big Tap Water for Cannibals?

DIFFICULTY LEVEL DENNIS RODMAN

Rust is a blatant "asshole", at least in the colloquial way.

And Marty is surely a "mouth", a charming, lippy "frat boy" whose name rhymes with Party Hard, and who will literally eat "anything". So we have Mouth (Oral) and Ass (Anal) serving as a reflexive Alpha and Omega sequence. Oral is first. Eating as Alpha in the O(mega) of O-ral vs. Then Anal. The Asshole as Omega in A(lpha) of Ass.

Hey Mom, I'm hungry. Bring me that meatloaf."

Lucky
There's holes in the sky where rain gets in
the holes are small
that's why rain is thin.
lucky

Postby Hunter » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:56 am

Ah I get it, the names are secret code for anal fetish so its really Rusty Hole and Mighty Fart? Those damn tricksters.
Hunter

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion