True Detective on HBO

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: True Detective on HBO

Postby brekin » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:54 pm

Wombaticus Rex » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:02 pm wrote:
brekin » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:57 pm wrote:Yeah, of course...but then one wonders how then you determined I hadn't watched Season 2? Just another mystery I guess.


It was in the first episode of season 2:

brekin » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:35 pm wrote:I'm going to fade out because I'm just running on the fumes of my engine of discontent from Season 1, and can't bring myself to patronize Season 2


Are you sure you understood Inception?


Wombaticus I expect better thread comprehension from you. The whole point of our exchange was that Rory claimed he couldn't comment on my post because he hadn't read it, when he had just thanked the poster immediately after me for having watched TD before commenting on it, an obvious oblique slight to my post where I admittedly said I hadn't watched Season 2 (the post of mine you just quoted). Why would he bring that up if he hadn't read my post? But then go on to claim he couldn't comment because he hadn't read my post when I asked him to steer me right in my self admitted intuitive analysis? Again not much of a mystery just a pretty obvious puzzle. He was either trying to be clever and prove a point sarcastically or is being obstinate because he can't be bothered with actually examining my points and risking his TD crush. Are you sure you understand the subtext of forum threads?
If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
I hang onto my prejudices, they are the testicles of my mind. Eric Hoffer
User avatar
brekin
 
Posts: 3229
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:21 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: True Detective on HBO

Postby RocketMan » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:12 am

Man, those who like the show REALLY like the show and those who don't like it, LOVE to hate it. Must be doin' something right, I figure!

:clown
-I don't like hoodlums.
-That's just a word, Marlowe. We have that kind of world. Two wars gave it to us and we are going to keep it.
User avatar
RocketMan
 
Posts: 2769
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:02 am
Location: By the rivers dark
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: True Detective on HBO

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:34 am

Image
User avatar
Wombaticus Rex
 
Posts: 10616
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:33 pm
Location: Vermontistan
Blog: View Blog (0)

eye choose carefully

Postby IanEye » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:01 pm

brekin » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:32 pm wrote:
Yawn. I was disappointed with Season 2 back at Season 1. :shrug:
Sounds like what I'm gleaning is Season 2 is even more flash than substance so far than Season 1?
No doubt, this is all intentionally in the service to an even more mind blowing conclusion than Season 1.
Maybe we will be rewarded with an advancement and extension of the philosophical insight of there is light and there is dark, perhaps even
that there are shades of grey in between? Wow.

7-6-2015
.

brekin » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:54 pm wrote:
Wombaticus I expect better thread comprehension from you. The whole point of our exchange was that Rory claimed he couldn't comment on my post because he hadn't read it, when he had just thanked the poster immediately after me for having watched TD before commenting on it, an obvious oblique slight to my post where I admittedly said I hadn't watched Season 2 (the post of mine you just quoted).
Why would he bring that up if he hadn't read my post? But then go on to claim he couldn't comment because he hadn't read my post when I asked him to steer me right in my self admitted intuitive analysis?
Again not much of a mystery just a pretty obvious puzzle.

7-22-2015
.


*



i can build a castle
from a single grain of sand

eye can make a ship sail
on dry land




you wear sandals in the snow
& a smile that won't wash away

can you look out the window
without your shadow getting in the way?


*
User avatar
IanEye
 
Posts: 4856
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:33 pm
Blog: View Blog (29)

Re: True Detective on HBO

Postby 8bitagent » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:03 am

The paid critics can take a hike, Im loving season 2 and cant wait for sundays episode 6. already things are getting very RI.

Also this story is straight out of True Detective season 2, out of LA this week
http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2015/07/ ... water-car/
http://ktla.com/2015/07/22/dead-man-wit ... rd-mother/

also http://disinfo.com/2015/05/temple-oculu ... ss-oregon/
"Do you know who I am? I am the arm, and I sound like this..."-man from another place, twin peaks fire walk with me
User avatar
8bitagent
 
Posts: 12195
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:49 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: True Detective on HBO

Postby 8bitagent » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:09 am

Was anyone reminded of The Pledge from 2001 when they saw True Detective's first season?

No idea what will happen in the final 3 episodes, but part of me is thinking the "elite party" Ani is about to infiltrate is not the really weird higher up elite party...
unless thats just my imagination running wild. I mean they found a torture shack in the woods not far from where the real Bohemian Grove is suppose to be located along the Russian River
in the end of last sundays episode
"Do you know who I am? I am the arm, and I sound like this..."-man from another place, twin peaks fire walk with me
User avatar
8bitagent
 
Posts: 12195
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:49 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: True Detective on HBO

Postby Luther Blissett » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:18 am



Well thanks for this rabbit hole. If "up north" ends up being Damascus, OR I'll be psyched. This might deserve it's own thread, from what I've seen it's at least a partially legitimate mystery.

https://archive.4plebs.org/x/thread/13234031/

http://www.reddit.com/r/nosleep/comment ... eally_use/

http://pastebin.com/h0QGAfnU
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
User avatar
Luther Blissett
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:31 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Blog: View Blog (0)

.

Postby IanEye » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:24 am

User avatar
IanEye
 
Posts: 4856
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:33 pm
Blog: View Blog (29)

Re: .

Postby RocketMan » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:33 pm



Man... The Pledge! I've had it in my DVD library for ages, but I haven't watched it probably since I found RI sometime around 2008... Need to re-watch it, it's absolutely RI stuff, yeah. And Mickey Rourke gives one of his best performances ever, and the role is only about five minutes. Now that you mention it, it has one of the great unsung Jack Nicholson performances, shed of all bombast. Also one of the saddest movies ever.

Thanks guys! :lovehearts:
-I don't like hoodlums.
-That's just a word, Marlowe. We have that kind of world. Two wars gave it to us and we are going to keep it.
User avatar
RocketMan
 
Posts: 2769
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:02 am
Location: By the rivers dark
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: .

Postby 8bitagent » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:55 pm

RocketMan » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:33 am wrote:


Man... The Pledge! I've had it in my DVD library for ages, but I haven't watched it probably since I found RI sometime around 2008... Need to re-watch it, it's absolutely RI stuff, yeah. And Mickey Rourke gives one of his best performances ever, and the role is only about five minutes. Now that you mention it, it has one of the great unsung Jack Nicholson performances, shed of all bombast. Also one of the saddest movies ever.

Thanks guys! :lovehearts:


As far as detective movies, The Pledge, Fear X, Mystic River, Se7en, Silence of the Lambs, Manhunter, Zodiac, Heat and Prisoners(2013) are in my top ten
"Do you know who I am? I am the arm, and I sound like this..."-man from another place, twin peaks fire walk with me
User avatar
8bitagent
 
Posts: 12195
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:49 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: True Detective on HBO

Postby Luther Blissett » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:09 am

It looks like they may be trying to tell us that Antigone has dissociative identity disorder, and that Panticapaeum might actually be a combination of Esalen and the Family International.

Does anyone know if Antigone's abuser was one of the men in the photo with her father, Pitlor, etc? Is he the mayor's father?
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
User avatar
Luther Blissett
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:31 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: True Detective on HBO

Postby Rory » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:18 am

That episode was a dark trip - great visuals and music. Wonderful television.

I liked the the synch with that line from Frank at the beginning and with Ani and the heavy she shanked at the end: "On the ropes ain't the same thing as bleeding out"
Rory
 
Posts: 1596
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:08 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: True Detective on HBO

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:24 am

Luther Blissett » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:09 am wrote:It looks like they may be trying to tell us that Antigone has dissociative identity disorder, and that Panticapaeum might actually be a combination of Esalen and the Family International.

Does anyone know if Antigone's abuser was one of the men in the photo with her father, Pitlor, etc? Is he the mayor's father?


He's definitely not related to Chessani; there's no way there was ever a hippie patriarch in that family.

He's also probably the man in the middle of the "Lodge" photo, in the red swim trunks -- same beard, hair, smile. ( Link to large format screenshot )

Perhaps it was intended to be a young David Morse / Eliot Bezzerides, instead. Who was most remiss in allowing that scum anywhere near his kids; but mistakes like those define every commune I'm aware of. (Seriously. Did that ever not happen at these fucking "intentional community" experiments?) I don't think it implicates her father as anything but a self-involved dipshit.

That was a pretty brutal episode with a lot to unpack; another structural parallel to the first season. Former Attorney General and future governor Richard Geldof was at the party, which I didn't expect but should have.

I'm starting to realize those diamonds, perhaps, are Frank's missing stake. (Or at least what they got converted into.) The scene where Woodrugh interviews that old LAPD about the heist was incredibly good.

The team is pretty much fucked at this point; which Woodrugh appeared to realize as they sped off. Anybody with the institutional power and pull to protect their investigation is implicated. They're naked and alone.
User avatar
Wombaticus Rex
 
Posts: 10616
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:33 pm
Location: Vermontistan
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: True Detective on HBO

Postby Luther Blissett » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:51 am

Wombaticus Rex » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:24 am wrote:
Luther Blissett » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:09 am wrote:It looks like they may be trying to tell us that Antigone has dissociative identity disorder, and that Panticapaeum might actually be a combination of Esalen and the Family International.

Does anyone know if Antigone's abuser was one of the men in the photo with her father, Pitlor, etc? Is he the mayor's father?


He's definitely not related to Chessani; there's no way there was ever a hippie patriarch in that family.

He's also probably the man in the middle of the "Lodge" photo, in the red swim trunks -- same beard, hair, smile. ( Link to large format screenshot )

Perhaps it was intended to be a young David Morse / Eliot Bezzerides, instead. Who was most remiss in allowing that scum anywhere near his kids; but mistakes like those define every commune I'm aware of. (Seriously. Did that ever not happen at these fucking "intentional community" experiments?) I don't think it implicates her father as anything but a self-involved dipshit.

That was a pretty brutal episode with a lot to unpack; another structural parallel to the first season. Former Attorney General and future governor Richard Geldof was at the party, which I didn't expect but should have.

I'm starting to realize those diamonds, perhaps, are Frank's missing stake. (Or at least what they got converted into.) The scene where Woodrugh interviews that old LAPD about the heist was incredibly good.

The team is pretty much fucked at this point; which Woodrugh appeared to realize as they sped off. Anybody with the institutional power and pull to protect their investigation is implicated. They're naked and alone.


Yeah I was thinking the same thing, wondering where they're going to go now. And how they're going to protect Athena.

People are saying that the two kids from the diamond heist who wound up in foster care might be Chessani's kids. That it could be a tradition of Chessani patriarchs to murder parents and adopt their children. Mayor Chessani's biological parents could have been killed by this hippie abuser, though I guess you're right - his gangsterism is definitely a cultural product.
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
User avatar
Luther Blissett
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:31 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: True Detective on HBO

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:23 am

Luther Blissett » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:51 am wrote:
People are saying that the two kids from the diamond heist who wound up in foster care might be Chessani's kids. That it could be a tradition of Chessani patriarchs to murder parents and adopt their children. Mayor Chessani's biological parents could have been killed by this hippie abuser, though I guess you're right - his gangsterism is definitely a cultural product.


Damn, okay. I thought the same when I saw the photo -- the resemblance to his daughter was pretty uncanny. Just seemed too weird to entertain, but given everything else...

(Also, they never show photographs for no reason on HBO.)

One detail I really expected to see was some sort of blowback/aftermath of Velcoro's assault on the plastic surgeon. I only watched it this morning, so I could have easily missed something wandering around getting ready for another meaningless workday.
User avatar
Wombaticus Rex
 
Posts: 10616
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:33 pm
Location: Vermontistan
Blog: View Blog (0)

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 43 guests