Challenger Disaster

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Challenger Disaster

Postby 82_28 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:44 pm

Here Jim, I need you take this classified device up the scaffolding and fasten it to section 294b-.192221 before the launch tomorrow. You understand, Jim. It's a precautionary safety gauge, if you need to know.

Then blame it on the cold.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby 8bitagent » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:26 pm

But we can still dare to dream...

"Do you know who I am? I am the arm, and I sound like this..."-man from another place, twin peaks fire walk with me
8bitagent

Postby brekin » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:42 pm

kelley » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:57 pm wrote:
82_28 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:52 pm wrote:

I'm trying to think of the first time I saw a television in school and this could very well be it.

channel one brought televised material and commercial content into schools in the late '80s? under the auspices of 'news programming' but it was characterized mostly by the type of shite one would see on the 'today' show or similar.

Channel One came a little bit later.
Channel One was founded in 1989 and began with a pilot program in four high schools before its national rollout in 1990

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Channel_One_News

I remember seeing the Challenger Disaster at school. If I recall we all watched it, it exploded, and then after a silence we were all dismissed.
The Challenger launch was a BIG deal at the time. Schools were hot about it because it was a big, brainy, math/science endeavor and a similar tech race was going on with Japan that previously had happened with the space race with Russia.

And the first civilian was going into space. Who was a teacher. This seemed to validate public education and teachers as a profession in general. Today, it would probably be some immature internet billionaire instead.So most schools developed curriculum around it and I can't remember watching any other live event at school in tandem with other schools before or since.

According to NASA, it was in part because of the excitement over McAuliffe's presence on Challenger that the accident had such a significant effect on the nation. Many schoolchildren were viewing the launch live, and media coverage of the accident was extensive.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christa_McAuliffe

So, in retrospect it was kind of like thousands of schools tuning in at the same time to watch the JFK assassination or 9/11. Only to see America's tech prowness and America's sweetheart teacher die. (Some kids it was reported cheered at the time, but I doubt this was malice and probably more an ignorance of what was suppose to happen.)

In 1984, President Ronald Reagan announced the Teacher in Space Project, and McAuliffe learned about NASA's efforts to find the first civilian, an educator, to fly into space.[19] NASA wanted to find an "ordinary person," a gifted teacher who could communicate with students while in orbit.[5][15] McAuliffe became one of more than 11,000 applicants.[19]

NASA hoped that sending a teacher into space would increase public interest in the Space Shuttle program, and also demonstrate the reliability of space flight at a time when the agency was under continuous pressure to find financial support.[21][22][23] President Reagan said it would also remind Americans of the important role that teachers and education serve in their country.[24]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christa_McAuliffe
If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
I hang onto my prejudices, they are the testicles of my mind. Eric Hoffer
brekin

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby 8bitagent » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:22 pm

Wasn't Giffords husband the captain of the final shuttle mission, just a few months after the devastating safeway parking lot shooting?
The doomsday plane circling the pentagon around the time of the flight 77 attack was "Venus 77", but of course the famous moon landing was by Apollo 11. or apo11o 11. 11:11
Gordon Cooper who was part of the original Mercury missions, died at 77.

Both the Challenger and Columbia explosions happened in a January.
Columbia's shuttle was "STS-107". If we remove the 0, it reads 17, and Columbia exploded 17 years after the Challenger.
"Do you know who I am? I am the arm, and I sound like this..."-man from another place, twin peaks fire walk with me
8bitagent

Postby Luther Blissett » Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:02 pm

Is it gullible to see something in this? The politifact analysis almost ignores the evidence, in essence saying “they may have the same names, look identical to them, and be the same ages, “look, they can’t have been part of the Challenger crew, they were studying law at this time.” As if, if this were premeditated, seem like great covers, and if it was a coverup, are cushy setups.

https://www.tiktok.com/@parasyketok/vid ... t2MVH&_r=1

It seems like the prevailing theories are that a) they let it launch knowing all about the faulty o-rings and lihopped it as some sort of mass traumatizing event, or b) that they had some sort of advanced tech (potentially extraterrestrial) which kept them alive but had to stay hidden for all the obvious reasons, many of which persist to this day.
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Previous

Return to General Discussion