Rock musician's encounter with entities

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Rock musician's encounter with entities

Postby Searcher08 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:29 am

Consul, do you have a website or book where you have more of your work?
If not, will you make one? PLEASE?
Searcher08

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby jakell » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:17 am

BrandonD » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:09 am wrote:
jakell » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:20 pm wrote:If we are talking of youth, then we are taking of the openness that comes with it, the difference being that as we grow older we become aware of the potential jeopardy that comes with that openness. I tried a lot of things when young, and looking back, I realised I dodged a bullet a lot of the time, via luck, and knowingly relying on luck can be scary.

As Obi Wan said, "In my experience, there's no such thing as luck."

Luck is essentially a meaningless term, an empty place-holder for an unknown variable - perhaps it's worth consideration that there is another unacknowledged element of our youthful internal world that allowed us to dodge those bullets.

I grew up late, and I think it is my late bloomer status that's helped me retain the awareness that something other than luck played a part.

Well, at least Obi Wan understood about E-prime, which is useful for covering one's ass.

You refer to an empty placeholder for an unknown variable. In the interest of constructing usable language, it might be userful to signify that with a cipher. Algebraic terms like x and y aren't particularly aesthetic, so I would suggest maybe a four letter word of one syllable might fulfil the role, possibly something like the one used above.

It seems what you are saying is that there is no such thing as random chance. This may be so, but unless you are suggesting a ghost in the machine, I can't really see a naturalistic factor (unless we call it x, y or luck)
" Orwell feared those who would deprive us of information. Huxley feared those who would give us so much that we would be reduced to passivity and egoism"
jakell

Postby American Dream » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:08 am

Psychosis, sex cults, suicide and the curse of Fleetwood Mac guitarists

By TOM LEONARD

PUBLISHED: 10 June 2012 |

An autumn night in 1972, and minutes before Fleetwood Mac are due on stage for the latest gig of their U.S. tour, a drama is unfolding in their dressing room.

Danny Kirwan, talented guitarist and the glamour boy of the band, is drunk. At just 22, he is an alcoholic who goes for days without food, existing only on beer.

Increasingly mentally fragile, he suddenly loses his temper over the simple process of tuning a guitar. Banging the wall with his fists, he hurls his expensive Gibson Les Paul instrument at a mirror, showering broken glass over his bandmates.

Tragic end: Bob Welch, the former Fleetwood Mac guitarist, who was found dead last week after finding out he would ever recover the use of his legs

He then stomps off into the auditorium, pausing only to smash his head against a wall until blood pours from his face. Refusing to come on stage, he spends the show heckling the band from the audience as they struggle to play without him.

Perhaps it’s not surprising to learn that after he was swiftly sacked, Kirwan developed mental health problems as the effect of drink and drug abuse caught up with him. He even ended up living homeless on the streets of London.

But if Danny Kirwan’s story is a salutary warning of the excesses of rock and roll, he was certainly not the only member of Fleetwood Mac to suffer bizarre breakdowns or personal tragedy.

Now, yet another former guitarist with the group has succumbed to what many people regard as something of a hoodoo.

Last week, Bob Welch, 66, was found dead by his wife after writing a suicide note and shooting himself in the chest.

Bob Weston, another former guitarist with the band, was found dead following a brain haemorrhage at his flat in North London in January. He was 64

According to one source, Welch — who lived in Nashville, Tennessee — had spinal surgery three months ago.

Informed by his doctors that he would never recover the use of his legs, he told his wife Wendy he did not want her to have to care for an invalid.

It was a heartbreaking end for the soft-spoken Californian who years ago fell out with his old bandmates after he sued them over the rights to royalties — and was then excluded from Fleetwood Mac’s induction into the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame.

The band’s singer Stevie Nicks said his death was ‘devastating’, hailing ‘an amazing guitar player, he was funny, sweet and he was smart’. She was, she added: ‘So very sorry for his family and for the family of Fleetwood Mac — so, so sad.’

Sad for sure, but Welch’s tragic end could not be called entirely unexpected given that — even by the standards of rock bands — the Fleetwood Mac ‘family’ is as turbulent and dysfunctional as they come.

The long-lasting British-American group may be remembered for such hits as Don’t Stop, Little Lies and Go Your Own Way, but in terms of drug-bingeing, partner-swapping, back-stabbing drama, it made the Rolling Stones look like a village fete brass band.

And perhaps no job in rock has proved so ill-starred as being a Fleetwood Mac guitarist. Welch was the second of them to die this year.

Bob Weston died in London in January from a haemorrhage aged just 64. He was found in bed with the TV on at his flat in Brent Cross, North London. Friends had called police after not being able to contact him for several days.

What current frontman Lindsey Buckingham recently dubbed ‘The Curse of the Fleetwood Mac Guitarist’ started back in the late Sixties.

Rock heroes: Welch, centre and Weston, far left, are pictured with band mates Christine McVie and the founding members John Mcvie, in hat, and Mick Fleetwood

Guitar hero Peter Green founded Fleetwood Mac as a blues band in London in 1967. Colleagues noticed that by the time they released their fourth album in 1969, he was going off the rails mentally.

After taking large amounts of the hallucinogenic drug LSD, he grew a beard, began to wear robes and a crucifix and told the band’s manager he was Jesus.

He became obsessed by the supposed immorality of them becoming rich and wanted to give the band’s earnings away. The others could not believe he was serious.

Touring Europe in March 1970, Green binged on dangerously impure LSD at a party thrown by a bunch of rich Communists in a Munich commune. Friends said he was never the same again, transforming from mildly eccentric to fully-fledged basket case.

Green, who said he’d had a vision at the party in which he saw an angel holding a starving child, left the band two months later, complaining drummer Mick Fleetwood had refused his request that they donate all their royalties to charity.

Guitar hero: Peter Green, pictured playing with The Splinter Group, founded the band in 1967 but after taking large amounts of LSD began to think he was Jesus and was later diagnosed with schizophrenia

He was later diagnosed with schizophrenia. Green spent time in various psychiatric hospitals in the 1970s undergoing electroconvulsive therapy, and his friends were shocked to find him in an almost continual trance.

The man who had been hailed as one of the finest blues guitarists of his generation fell into destitution, having to find work as a hospital porter and even a gravedigger.

Much of his financial troubles were self-inflicted. In 1977, police surrounded his house and he was arrested for threatening the band’s accountant, David Simmons, with a shotgun. Bizarrely, Green said he was furious because Simmons was still sending him royalty cheques.

Mick Fleetwood used to visit Green regularly, but eventually gave up. ‘I was just so sad I couldn’t wave a magic wand and have him be the person I wanted him to be . . . he was very sick,’ he said.

Green managed some sort of recovery after he moved in with his mother in Great Yarmouth and even managed to resurrect his musical career in 1995 with a band called The Splinter Group. But he will always be remembered as one of the great Sixties musical talents cut off in his prime by drugs.

Slide guitarist Jeremy Spencer, one of the Fleetwood Mac’s original members, was notoriously wild on stage, imitating Elvis Presley and Buddy Holly. Offstage, he couldn’t have been more different, a closet religious fanatic who sneaked away from the rest of the band on tour to read from one of the small Bibles he hid in the linings of his jackets.

Former band members say Spencer, too, had a bad trip — in his case on the mind-altering drug mescaline — during a 1971 tour of the U.S. After an earthquake hit Los Angeles, he had a premonition that something bad would happen there. It did — for Fleetwood Mac.

Spencer told Mick Fleetwood he was popping out to Hollywood Boulevard to buy a magazine. He never came back.

Days later, his frantic fellow band members discovered he had joined the Children of God, a sinister cult which used sex to ‘show God’s love’ and win converts. Spencer refused to rejoin the band.

Still going strong: Lindsay Buckingham, far right, has not been hit yet by what he dubbed 'the curse of Fleetwood Mac', with the band still reuniting for occasional projects

He later explained he had been approached in the street by a Children of God member named Apollos, got chatting about religion and was invited to visit a nearby ‘church mission’. He still works for the organisation, now called The Family International, writing and illustrating stories.

Then there was Kirwan, a talented if humourless musician who was so emotional he would cry as he played. Landed with much of the songwriting duties after Spencer vanished, he was soon out of control, struggling to handle fame and gradually unravelling — as the story of the smashed guitar illustrates all too well.

And what of the tragic Bob Welch, who took his life last week? A young hippy whose father was a successful Hollywood producer, he joined the band after Jeremy Spencer joined the Children of God.

Mick Fleetwood credited Welch with saving the group — a sane and good-humoured presence who kept spirits up in those dark years.

Wild: Jeremy Spencer, front, was a closet religious fanatic, who left the band when he joined the Children of God cult. Danny Kirwan, with added responsibility once Spencer left, unravelled as he tried to handle fame

Sadly for him, he left the band in 1974 just before Fleetwood Mac recruited Nicks and Buckingham, and made Rumours — which until Michael Jackson’s Thriller was the best-selling album of all time.

Before his departure, though, yet another guitarist sparked a drama that threatened to tear the band apart. Plymouth-born Bob Weston was revealed to be having an affair with Mick’s wife, Jenny Boyd — sister of Pattie Boyd, the former wife of both George Harrison and Eric Clapton.
Devastated, Fleetwood sacked Weston and the band cancelled a planned tour of America.

Determined to recoup some of his financial losses, manager Clifford Davis launched one of the most bizarre stunts in the history of rock. Without telling the band, he formed a ‘new’ Fleetwood Mac — none of whom had ever played in the group — and packed them off to play the U.S. dates.

In the ensuing legal battle over ownership of the band’s name, neither the real nor the fake Fleetwood Mac were able to play. Bob Welch put up with the madness for another year before he left and launched a moderately successful solo career.

Today, after going through a staggering 15 different personnel line-ups, Fleetwood Mac still reunites for occasional project.

As for the curse on their guitarists, Buckingham is still going strong, somehow avoiding ever becoming a deranged alcoholic, drug-addled schizophrenic or Bible‑carrying cult member.

In his last interview, Welch mused that he, at least, had found happiness in Fleetwood Mac. ‘I just wanted to play guitar in a good band,’ he said.

For several of his old bandmates, it wasn’t quite such a great career move.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... rists.html
American Dream

Postby jakell » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:17 am

Looking around the forum, it seems customary to separate your own words from C&P stuff by using a quote box.

Am I right, is this generally the case?
" Orwell feared those who would deprive us of information. Huxley feared those who would give us so much that we would be reduced to passivity and egoism"
jakell

Postby Searcher08 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:42 am

jakell » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:17 pm wrote:Looking around the forum, it seems customary to separate your own words from C&P stuff by using a quote box.

It depends on context -
For the Original Post, quite often this format is used

<My framing comments>
<Clickable link to Website article>
<Section of Copy and Pasted Article>

When one gets into the topic conversation, then to avoid confusion, it is generally a good practice to do that.
Searcher08

Postby jakell » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:55 am

Searcher08 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:42 pm wrote:
jakell » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:17 pm wrote:Looking around the forum, it seems customary to separate your own words from C&P stuff by using a quote box.

It depends on context -
For the Original Post, quite often this format is used

<My framing comments>
<Clickable link to Website article>
<Section of Copy and Pasted Article>

When one gets into the topic conversation, then to avoid confusion, it is generally a good practice to do that.

That's what I thought, good practice and a courtesy to readers. Some people (like me) focus on the forum personalities, as well as provided data and IMO, the two are needed to provide overall context. If we had someone for who, for instance, that ratio of C@P's to personal comments was well over 100:1, the it would be hard getting a handle on that person.
In fact, on a subliminal level, one might start to eventually confuse the poster with article's contents.
jakell

Postby Searcher08 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:17 am

I think a thread about 'Posting Best Practice and Tips" would be very useful, but NOT HERE.

We have had enough "Meta' conversations to last a lifetime - can we return to the OP please?

http://www.uncut.co.uk/node/14361#M4d6ddcXKW2MR7Ka.99
Pamela Des Barres On Jimmy Page

Part 8: PAMELA DES BARRES

The groupie supreme and member of the GTO's. Despite her relationship with Page, her husband, Michael Des Barres, fronted Detective - the first band signed to Zeppelin's Swan Song label.

Pamela Des Barres: Some people just have it. Jimmy obviously has insane charisma and his talent is unsurpassed, innovative and majestic. Not to mention he was the epitome of what a British Rock God should look like: delicate, mysterious, androgynous, sensuous. And he made sure you never really knew what was on his mind. He loved being in control of every situation, still somehow remaining an elegant, intense gentleman. One wild night, he gave me a dose of mescaline and didn't take any himself. He enjoyed being my provider, lover, teacher. It went on for hours, all night long. And I was a joyous, blissed-out basketcase when the sun came up.

UNCUT: Can you tell me about Jimmy's interest in Aleister Crowley? What did he particularly admire about him and how deeply do you think Jimmy immersed himself in that "black vibe"? There’s the story of you helping him buy a Crowley manuscript once for $1700.

First of all, Crowley's vibe isn't 'black.' He was a seeker of things beyond our five senses and so was Jimmy. He was fascinated with the search into all things occult and hidden, but not necessarily dark or evil in any way. Crowley was actually attempting to bring understanding to what people deemed 'dark.' Jimmy liked living very close to the danger zone, curious about secrets that most of us haven't even heard about. I knew an old gentleman bookseller on Hollywood Boulevard, also entranced with Crowley, and I found a handwritten manuscript of Crowley's tucked away on a high shelf. I remember getting that huge sum of money and being honoured to be sending Jimmy something so important to him. I imagined him reading that thing deep into the night, roaming around in Crowley's castle in Scotland, flapping around in his cape.

Before we met, I was afraid of Jimmy and determined not to fall for his charms when Led Zeppelin hit LA. Deserved or not, their reputation as debauched naughty boys preceded them. But he was intent on getting me to fall for him, and it didn't take much. He sent me notes, got hold of my phone number and easily convinced me he would be worth the trouble. He did keep whips coiled up in his suitcase on the road, but never attempted to use them on me. He definitely had a wicked sexual side, which made him a transcendent lover. Even when you were intimately involved with him, he held back, which made you want to delve into him even deeper.

And he didn't disappoint in any way until he broke my baby heart. He did that to a lot of adoring females. I have no regrets, and I treasure that heady time with Jimmy and being a part of all that was Led Zeppelin. There was never any soul-selling to the devil or anything like that - ever. It's part of the mythology though and fans seem to want to believe it.
What did I make of his dark side? He was very focused and powerful and played with it, played with people in his midst. He relished and enjoyed his heightened place in the rock pantheon immensely. He had a supreme gentleness masking a deceptive strength and determination. Indeed, in some ways, Jimmy was unattainable.

Watching Led Zeppelin on stage, I was one of the lucky few to be sitting atop Jimmy's amp, with a groupie's eye view of his violin bow coming apart in the shimmering air, sashaying backstage with him and Robert while Bonzo thrashed away on “Moby Dick”. Besides the magnificence of the music, just being a part of that formidable, unparalleled scene was an enervating, indescribable feeling. When they went back to England after a long tour here, the let down was very troubling to say the least. They split open and shredded previous musical boundaries and other musicians happily took advantage of it. I was very aware I was in the middle of musical history being made and in awe of each moment. It was like being wrapped up in a thunderous hurricane of expanding, contracting holy sound. Aaahhhhhh....

ROB HUGHES

Read more at
Searcher08

Postby seemslikeadream » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:25 am

and the title doesn't mean all posts have to be about the negative ....there are many positive aspects ..this was supposed to be a FUN thread not a downer
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby seemslikeadream » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:27 am

Hendrix biopic clip released
Comments 2 MARTIN KIELTY at 08:44am March 6 2014
Jimi Hendrix biopic

Producers of Jimi Hendrix biopic All Is By My Side have released a minute-long clip, featuring Andre 3000 of Outkast fame in the starring role. View it below.

He’s billed under his real name, Andre Benjamin, in the film that tells the story of the guitar icon’s rise to fame over a two-year period leading up to his showstopping appearance at the Monterey Pop Festival in 1967.

Directed by 12 Years A Slave maker John Ridley, the film doesn’t include any music performed by Hendrix, due to his sister Janie, who runs his estate, having refused permission for it to be used. Instead new versions of covers played by Hendrix have been used.

All Is By My Side received its world premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival last year and gets is US premiere next week at South By Southwest in Austin, Texas.

Meanwhile, the US Postal Service is to unveil a Hendrix memorial stamp, also at SXSW, on March 13. The event will include a free concert starring Slash, Robby Krieger, Perry Farrell, Doug Pinnick and others.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby seemslikeadream » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:36 am

Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby jakell » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:37 am

seemslikeadream » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:25 pm wrote:and the title doesn't mean all posts have to be about the negative ....there are many positive aspects ..this was supposed to be a FUN thread not a downer

What struck me was 'bringing back RI's magic', which has an inherent recognition of loss, and something I've seen echoed very frequently of late.

I'm sure something other than a fading lament can be achieved, ie some positive energy. That's if you want your forum back that is.

The Pink Floyd stuff, plus the above puts me in mind of 'Echoes', as in reminiscence.
jakell

Postby seemslikeadream » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:46 am

a thread about love and positive vibe ...all things music does not mean destruction drugs and death.....sex drugs and rock and roll ...I survived the '60's just fine thank you very much.....so did a whole lot of people

Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby Searcher08 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:52 am

Vocals from a dead person - amazing
Searcher08

Postby seemslikeadream » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:55 am

You got me runnin goin out of my mind,
You got me thinkin that Im wastin my time.
Don't bring me down,no no no no no,
Ill tell you once more before I get off the floor
Don't bring me down.

Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby Searcher08 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:10 am

The film La Vallee (The Valley) with a soundtrack by Pink Floyd which became the Obscured By Clouds album, is up on Yt. It is meander-y, mysterious and fabulous with stunning film of New Guinea.

From IMDB: Filmmaker Barbet Schroeder explores themes of sexual freedom, mind alteration, and pursuit of paradise .

Viviane, a French Consul's wife, is in New Guinea to find exotic feathers for export to Paris. She encounters four European travelers who are en route to "La Vallée": The Valley, high in the Guinean mountains, is shown on maps as 'Obscured by Clouds' and is beyond their previous experiences. Viviane joins their trek to find rare feathers and soon becomes entwined in their journey. Their extended stay with the Mapuga tribe brings a denouement between western and indigenous values before their final quest toward the 'Valley of the Gods'.

Last edited by Searcher08 on Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Searcher08

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion