The Right Hand Of Occupy Wall Street

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: The Right Hand Of Occupy Wall Street

Postby American Dream » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:17 am

"Jews Will Not Replace Us": Ten Meditations on a Week of Violence

October 29, 2018 Jordy Cummings

Some of the Left have been most unhelpful about all of this. One prominent “shit-poster” dirt-bag leftist made light of George Soros being targeted by a bomb, saying he was a “bad billionaire”. Others have declared their sympathy for the victims of the massacre while ostentatiously adding that they didn’t support Israel. For fuck’s sake! This isn’t about Israel. To make a point of solidarity contingent upon solidarity with “good Jews”, those who understand the settler-colonial nature of Israel, is akin to predicating one’s condemnation of a mosque-bombing with the ostentatious addition of not supporting Saudi Arabia or the Islamic Republic of Iran. As someone once said, “to everything, there is a season”. It is not the season to virtue-signal about Palestine/Israel or make fun of a rich Popperite who gave money to the Ruckus Society. It is no accident that the quarters of the Left making these points – “Tankies” or “Dirt-bags” or what-not – also didn’t have much to say about Trump’s slow genocide against Transgender folks that started the prior week, and have a long history of being TERFs or at least minimizers of the violence that all queer folks experience. These forces condemn the International Woman’s Strike, reduce Black Lives Matter to “identity politics”, side with Assad in Syria… These are not our comrades. We on the Left must recognize this tendency and firmly reject it.

http://www.redwedgemagazine.com/online-issue/ten-week
American Dream

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby American Dream » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:34 pm

Leo Ferguson @LeoFergusonnyc of Jews for Racial & Economic Justice on the history of antisemitic propaganda.
Listen.
American Dream

Postby American Dream » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:47 pm

If saying it’s a bad idea to work with fascists makes you a pro-war neoliberal, then who was phone? More on red-brown alliances, smears and all that

Because, contrary to the picture painted by WO’s writings, anti-fascist opposition to co-operation with the far-right is not something new, a neoliberal attack on the left, or something that can be simply equated with the work of Ross. Instead, it’s a theme that’s come up again and again in debates within our movements, running back at least as far as the arguments made by people like the Dutch antiracist organisation “De Fabel van de illegaal” and the authors of the “My Enemy’s Enemy” collection during the summit protest/anti-globalization movement of almost 20 years ago, through to people like Spencer Sunshine warning of the danger of far-right and antisemitic participation in the Occupy movement, and a subject that’s been brought up to the present day by a wide variety of writers including Elise Hendricks, Sol Process, Vagabond, Matthew Lyons and other contributors to the Three-Way Fight project, Andy Fleming, the Olympia anarchists who spoke out against Sadie and Exile, along with others like Bob from Brockley, Louis Proyect and Andrew Coates. If all the contributions made by all of these people are now to be written off as a neoliberal smear campaign, it’d be nice to have a little bit more evidence first.

https://nothingiseverlost.wordpress.com ... -all-that/
American Dream

Postby American Dream » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:56 am

A Native with a Pale Face

By Ivan Segré, Ross Wolfe

ImageHOURIA BOUTELDJA is a controversial figure in France. She is the spokeswoman of the Parti des indigènes de la République (PIR), a group (and now political party) founded in the wake of the 2005 Paris riots to promote decolonial politics, a “third way” beyond divisions of left and right. Decolonial theory originated as a discursive framework among Latin American academics during the early 2000s, but soon spread to other parts of the world. Unlike postcolonial theory, with which it is often confused, the premise here is that one cannot speak of life today as “after” colonialism. For the PIR, despite the collapse of Europe’s overseas colonies, “decolonization has yet to be finished” (as Bouteldja told Saïd Mekki in a 2009 interview). In 2012, Bouteldja described their outlook to a Madrid audience as more of a mentalité: “Being decolonial is above all an emancipated state of mind.” The PIR’s position on this count clearly echoes the work of Frantz Fanon (among others), whose writings are frequently referenced in Bouteldja’s own.

Long before the release of Les Blancs, les Juifs et nous in 2016, Bouteldja was already known to the French public for her incendiary statements. Her book-length debut — a poetic, almost literary text, more manifesto than treatise — continues in this vein. Bouteldja opens with a chapter entitled “Shoot Sartre!”, a common refrain heard from pro-colonial French nationalists during the war in Algeria. She provocatively appropriates the refrain, not because she agrees Sartre should have been shot for supporting Algerian independence, of course, but to criticize his continued support of Israeli independence after 1967. Instead, she claims as a “hero” of decolonial politics former Iranian president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, whom Bouteldja praises, with some reluctance, for declaring “there are no homosexuals in Iran” at Columbia University in 2007 — in other words: “at the heart of empire.” She takes the risk of admiring the statement’s provocation, even if she also explicitly recognizes that Ahmadinejad was lying. But in him, she sees “an arrogant indigenous man” speaking up to the West, something Sartre was ultimately — when it came to the issue of Zionism — unable to do. For very different reasons having to do with history and the discourses of sexuality in the West and the Middle East, Joseph Massad, a professor at Columbia, reached a conclusion similar to Ahmadinejad’s a year before in Desiring Arabs, a work Bouteldja cited in her 2013 critique of “gay universalism.” Evidently, avoiding the charge of homophobia is not a priority for Bouteldja. The more important, more fundamental issue (“the only real question,” as she puts it) is the oppressed status of the indigenous. In a chapter titled “We, Indigenous Women,” Bouteldja considers the risk of indigenous masculinity imitating white male masculinity, and asks instead “which part, in the testosterone-laden virility of the indigenous male, resists white domination.” That part can be used, she suggests, “toward a project of common liberation.”

Reviews of Bouteldja’s book in France have been unsparing. Ariane Pérez excoriates its celebration of family, race, virility, and religion as reminiscent of the anti-Dreyfusard Édouard Drumont, as well as the suggestion that indigenous women remain “loyal Penelopes” to indigenous men (a suggestion that arrives, one should add, as part of the paragraphs criticizing the ways in which indigenous masculinity imitates white masculinity in response to the West’s attempt to decimate non-Western masculinity, thus making the colonial project on this count come “full circle”). Pérez reminds readers that Stalin often disguised his antisemitism as anti-Zionism, a comparison Bouteldja invited by posing, two thumbs up, next to the graffiti’d slogan “SIONISTES AU GOULAG—PEACE—(mais Goulag quand même).” Roland Simon of Théorie Communiste dubs Bouteldja and the PIR “entrepreneurs of racialization,” declaring: “Critique must be uncompromising on these issues: tactical homophobia, latent antisemitism, sympathizing with pro-Saddam elements during the Gulf War, scrapping women’s struggles (‘for the moment’), etc.” Malika Amaouche, Yasmine Kateb, and Léa Nicolas-Teboul likewise take Bouteldja to task in their materialist theorization of race for identifying Israel with “the Jews.” What to make of those responses, which Bouteldja largely anticipates in her book and recurrently marks as the “traps” of Western thinking into which the liberal (as well as the more radical) left will all too quickly step? Another review, signed by “the friends of Juliette and the spring,” faults La Fabrique editor Eric Hazan for publishing this “right-wing pamphlet.” Hazan and others have since signed a letter intended to counter some of these charges.

Translated here is Ivan Segré’s polemical review of Bouteldja’s book. Previously, Hazan’s publishing house had put out a couple works by Segré, a longtime critic of Israel. Segré’s pamphlet The Philo-Semitic Reaction: The Treason of the Intellectuals came out in 2011, subsequently rendered into English by David Fernbach for a 2013 Verso collection along with a piece by Hazan and the philosopher Alain Badiou. David Broder did the translation of Spinoza: The Ethics of an Outlaw for Bloomsbury in 2017, three years after it appeared under the imprimatur of La Fabrique. Hazan must have expected glowing praise for the new title by Bouteldja from his own in-house reviewer. Yet something clearly did not sit right with Segré about the decision to print Whites, Jews, and Us. For his efforts, Segré was attacked as “an Israeli Camus” in the official organ of the PIR, essentially a turncoat. “I cannot explain his reversal,” lamented Hazan in a rejoinder.

While Rachel Valinsky’s English translation of Bouteldja’s book, Whites, Jews, and Us (Semiotext(e), 2017), has so far failed to generate the same buzz in the United States as it did in France, it was reviewed by Ben Ratskoff in LARB and was the subject of a scholarly roundtable featuring Jared Sexton, Yassir Morsi, Joshua Dubler, Nazia Kazi, Gil Anidjar, and Su’ad Abdul Khabeer for Immanent Frame. The American (US) philosopher Cornel West’s brief preface, which comes to a little over two pages, lends the book his authority as a respected antiracist activist and intellectual. It is to all of those conversations that the translation of Segré’s review will hopefully contribute.

— Ross Wolfe
August 2018

Read more: https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/a-n ... pale-face/

American Dream » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:18 am wrote: https://brooklynrail.org/2018/02/field- ... Felix-Baum

Inside the "Muslim Factory": NEDJIB SIDI MOUSSA with Felix Baum

by Felix Baum

Rail: You devote considerable space in your book to the “Parti des Indigènes de la République,” even though you state that their real significance in immigrant neighborhoods is extremely limited. Who are these “indigènes” and why are they so important in your account?

NSM: The indigènes go back to a manifesto launched in 2005, a key year for this story, with a wave of riots in the banlieue in the autumn, and earlier that year a heated debate about efforts by the government to create a more positive portrayal of France’s colonial history—basically out of electoral considerations, to flatter the harkis and pieds noirs, i.e. French people who had lived in colonial Algeria and relocated to France after 1962, and who form an important part of the electorate in certain regions. In addition, there was an unprecedented controversy over the ban of religious symbols in public schools, which was primarily associated with the Islamic veil. The manifesto lumps together very diverse phenomena—social issues, urban marginalization, colonial legacy, racial discriminations, conflicts in the Middle East, etc.—and is thus very confused, blending progressive with reactionary elements, which is why already back then it was criticized by the Trotskyist philosopher Daniel Bensaïd, but also by libertarians and other militants. Out of this manifesto, which received many signatures and gained quite a bit of attention within the radical left and intellectual circles, emerged the movement and finally the Parti des Indigènes de la République (PIR, created in 2010), with the more progressive elements being more and more eliminated, leaving only the reactionary individuals. The reason why I attach such an importance to them despite their lack of any social basis in the banlieue is simply their incommensurate visibility in the media; the fact that they are treated as the most radical or innovative force that is supposedly the voice of the banlieue, of immigrants, of Muslims. Significant parts of the radical left opened their journals, websites, and militant spaces to them—an alliance against nature at first glance. The book Les Blancs, les Juifs et nous (published in 2016 by Houria Bouteldja, PIR’s spokeswoman) found a disproportionate echo in these times of confusion. 3

Rail: What exactly are the reactionary elements of their discourse?

NSM: Their discourse has evolved over time. To give just one example, which is significant in my view: In 2003, fighting the ban on religious symbols in public schools, Bouteldja presented herself as a “non-believer” in an interview with Le Monde, even though already then she expressed her support for the Islamic scholar Tariq Ramadan. In 2016, she concludes her book with the expression “Allahu Akbar.” Whether opportunist or sincere, this is a form of Islamicization. So much for their evolution. On the other hand, since their beginnings, it has been programmatic for them to reject “mixed marriages” as detrimental to the good morals of the respective communities. So a black man should marry a black woman, an Arab another Arab—of course, we are talking about heterosexual marriages here, because the indigènes clearly seem to have a problem with homosexuality, especially for these subaltern groups. Then there are declarations which tend to confound anti-Zionism with anti-Semitism, combining a radical hostility towards Israel with a general suspicion towards Jews. And finally, a revalorization of Islamic culture and religion, of the Islamo-Arab past as cultural references, in a way that excuses machismo, for example. There is a cult of the family, of the past, of roots and identity—something that is clearly opposed to the project of emancipation, of revolution, or even the Enlightenment.
American Dream

Postby JackRiddler » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:42 pm

American Dream » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:17 am wrote:
"Jews Will Not Replace Us": Ten Meditations on a Week of Violence

October 29, 2018 Jordy Cummings

Some of the Left have been most unhelpful about all of this. One prominent “shit-poster” dirt-bag leftist made light of George Soros being targeted by a bomb, saying he was a “bad billionaire”. Others have declared their sympathy for the victims of the massacre while ostentatiously adding that they didn’t support Israel. For fuck’s sake! This isn’t about Israel. To make a point of solidarity contingent upon solidarity with “good Jews”, those who understand the settler-colonial nature of Israel, is akin to predicating one’s condemnation of a mosque-bombing with the ostentatious addition of not supporting Saudi Arabia or the Islamic Republic of Iran. As someone once said, “to everything, there is a season”. It is not the season to virtue-signal about Palestine/Israel or make fun of a rich Popperite who gave money to the Ruckus Society. It is no accident that the quarters of the Left making these points – “Tankies” or “Dirt-bags” or what-not – also didn’t have much to say about Trump’s slow genocide against Transgender folks that started the prior week, and have a long history of being TERFs or at least minimizers of the violence that all queer folks experience. These forces condemn the International Woman’s Strike, reduce Black Lives Matter to “identity politics”, side with Assad in Syria… These are not our comrades. We on the Left must recognize this tendency and firmly reject it.

This is shit-posting. Translating into honest English: As Point 6 of my argument, for the appearance of balance and to present myself as the sweet voice of reason beset by the irrational, I'm going to stray from the subject and accuse an undefined capital-L "Left" of anti-Semitism. The other day I saw some people say Things on the Internet. (!) I did not like these Things some people said on the Internet. Now I won't say WHO Said Things on the Internet. We don't want to give them a platform here, oh no. I won't tell you exactly What they said. My paraphrases are better on your ears, believe me. I won't give citations. But I shall identify these miscreants as "Some," "One," and "Others." And I shall identify them as belonging to "the Left." Oh how alarming to YOU, my Leftist friends! Are you also contaminated?! Now I shall get more specific, by inviting you to transpose my uncited claims about Some, One and Others on the Left on to those "Quarters of the Left" that I dislike. I won't tell you where these Quarters are located, or who resides in them, but I'll throw in an agenda. Here is a long list of possibly related Good Things that I claim to support. I shall claim that these unnamed, uncited, anti-Semitic miscreants, Some, One and Others of Certain Quarters of the Left, are uniformly AGAINST these Good Things. You must reject and expunge them as a Quarter of the Left. Whatever I'm claiming they are against, whoever they are, and that I am for, that is not anti-Semitic. It must be accepted, but of course only with the spin on it that I prefer. Those who spin the wrong way may find themselves among the "They," the anti-Semites and Assad lovers that "We" must condemn. I shall now pretend this mess of inchoate defamation aimed at persons unknown -- POSSIBLY YOU! OH NOES! -- has identified a singular TENDENCY. Disown that tendency! Kneel before Zod. Was this not a clever rhetorical move? Do I not look lovely in this mirror while grasping my dick?

We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby American Dream » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:32 pm

I'm with Jeff in that I feel anti-Semitism is an incredibly important topic and that it is crucial to not perpetuate it here.

That said, there's been enough tsurris about Judeophobia already and I'm not at all inclined to get into a "thing" about it here, so that will have to suffice from me.

I will however recommend this article which is relevant also to the original and eponymous post from Spencer Sunshine. It is hot off the presses:

Principal enemy: demystifying far right antisemitism

By Matthew N Lyons | Thursday, November 15, 2018

I can think of at least four reasons why leftists and antifascists need a good analysis of antisemitism:

1. Antisemitism kills Jews. There should be no question about this after the Pittsburgh synagogue massacre. In the United States, Gentiles are not killing Jews on anywhere near the scale of cops killing Black people, or husbands and boyfriends killing women, or cisgender folks killing trans people, but anti-Jewish violence is real. And if the current political climate means anything, it is likely to get worse.

2. Antisemitism drives far right politics. From the neonazis who call Jews the main enemy of the white race, to Patriot groups that stockpile weapons to confront “globalist elites,” to Christian theocrats who look forward to mass killings of Jews and mass conversion of the survivors, U.S. far rightists put antisemitic themes at the center of their belief systems. These forces have been closely bound up with Donald Trump’s political rise, and over the past two years they have helped blast away the taboo against antisemitism in U.S. political discourse.

3. Antisemitism is a problem within the left. Conservatives have long portrayed the left—falsely—as the main source of Jew-hatred, but that doesn’t mean leftists have done a good job of combating it. Antisemites such as Gilad Atzmon and Kevin Barrett have been welcomed into respected radical venues such as CounterPunch and Left Forum, and efforts to correct this have had mixed success, often meeting fierce opposition and denial. Many radical Jews have encountered antisemitic attitudes in leftist circles, such as “Jews control the media” or “the Zionist lobby controls Congress.” Excusing antisemitism, let alone promoting it, hurts the left’s credibility and integrity and weakens all our efforts.

4.The charge of antisemitism has been widely misused. Zionist groups often label criticisms of Israel or calls for Palestinian self-determination as inherently “antisemitic.” Such claims falsely equate Jews’ safety with Israel’s repressive and murderous policies, discredit principled efforts to combat antisemitism (whether by opponents or supporters of the Israeli state), and mask Zionism’s own long history of collusion with Jews’ oppression. Misuse of the antisemitism charge doesn’t cause or excuse anti-Jewish scapegoating, but it highlights the need for clear radical analysis.

Read more: http://threewayfight.blogspot.com/2018/ ... right.html
American Dream

Postby JackRiddler » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:07 pm

"I'm with Jeff" is supposed to be an answer? He's not with sophistry. You'd better be careful how often you invoke the phrase as though you have the Jeff monopoly. Some of us are actually in regular contact with Jeff. We know what he thinks, we don't guess. I mean, if you're going to engage in this kind of argument from authority, which is kind of pathetic here, you need at least to use authorities who actually endorse your bullshit.

The charge here is sophistry. Jordy Cummings is engaging in sophistry. Basically, he's willing to smear "the Left" of anti-Semitism as a device to smear those parts of the Left he has a problem with (anti-imperialists and people who aren't 100% on his preferred gender line; now of course neither is inherently more anti-Semitic or not than any other view, so it's all done by some false association in Cummings' brain). It's kind of gross that he's exploiting an article about Pittsburgh to engage in these kinds of side-blows.

You selectively engage in a great deal of sophistry, especially when it comes to insinuating and exaggerating anti-Semitism and other bad things on "the left." You mostly do this by flooding the board with this stuff. It's the appropriation of others' bullshit labor that makes you so annoying. Raise the proportion of your own bullshit to the borrowed bullshit, and people would probably mind less.

The piece you quote from Lyons is basically right, except for the idea that "the left" has to generally answer for actual right-wing loners like Barrett and Atzmon (both of whom I have soundly condemned here -- by name and not, as with Cummings, by insinuating that there is some generic "left" that somehow harbors bad people I won't even name).

Lyons has the order wrong. It should be 1, 2, 4, and then several other items before the one he lists as 3. If we assign proportions to it, each of 1, 2 and 4 would be gargantuan compared to 3. The largest share of 4, in fact, is right-wingers (and even anti-Semites) leveling false charges of anti-Semitism against the left. Lyons also says so. Trump hasn't done this far as I know, but he gave a parallel example the other day when someone asked him a question about his white nationalist support and he declared, "that's racist!"

We have seen a lot of #4 against the American left, against BDS for example but also generally, and of course there was just a total paroxysm of it thrown at Corbyn and Labour for months. Bet you Sanders is going to be hit hard with it next campaign. This is a serious problem. Why do you, as a supposed leftist, contribute so much to it? Why is it never enough to just make your point and take a break?

We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

JackRiddler

Postby Grizzly » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:19 pm

Uh, Guys/Gal's? I’ve been wondering but haven't asked until now, what's up with the two new names, as in, User avatar
American Dream
and User avatar seemslikeadream I/m completely baffled by that. Are these the same person('s) or is someone completely different or something else I’m obviously not getting...???
“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby JackRiddler » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:53 pm

Grizzly » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:19 pm wrote:Uh, Guys/Gal's? I’ve been wondering but haven't asked until now, what's up with the two new names, as in, User avatar
American Dream
and User avatar seemslikeadream I/m completely baffled by that. Are these the same person('s) or is someone completely different or something else I’m obviously not getting...???

It's just a broken graphics file. The program replaces the unreadable avatar image with the text. Don't be afraid, click on it. You'll see.

Last edited by JackRiddler on Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JackRiddler

Postby Grizzly » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:54 pm

ahhh. Thanks, Jack.
“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby Elvis » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:36 am

American Dream wrote: there's been enough tsurris about Judeophobia already

True, at least in this thread.
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Previous

Return to General Discussion