Thunder Over Louisville - next psyop?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Thunder Over Louisville - next psyop?

Postby Col. Quisp » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:47 pm

On Saturday, hundreds of thousands of people will gather for the annual Thunder Over Louisville air show and fireworks display.

It’s the kickoff event to the Kentucky Derby Festival.

But this year, it comes amid a recent wave of violence targeting people in downtown Louisville.

So what are police doing to keep everyone safe?

In just two weeks time, more than two dozen surveillance cameras have been installed in downtown Louisville.

“This gives us the opportunity to see Louisville and the Waterfront like we've never seen before. This gives us the ability to see things that we might not see until after it happens. But now we have a great tool for police,” said Chief Steve Conrad with Louisville Metro Police.

The reason for the sudden surge of security centers on the recent wave of violence that's spread throughout the city.

On Thursday, a letter from the FBI was leaked regarding their investigation on a group that could be responsible for this violence-- a group known as YNO.

The email says the group is 'armed in major way' and states: "There have been rumblings about YNO members planning on going deep at the upcoming derby parade. Specific plans for acts of violence or other criminal activity by YNO at the parade are currently unknown."

The installation of 28 high-definition security cameras is just one way Louisville Metro Police are addressing the problem and trying to prevent possible gang-related violence from breaking out during Thunder Over Louisville.

There will also be more than 1,000 officers on the ground during the heavily populated event.

All of this in hopes to send the message that safety is priority number one.

Police say the cameras can zoom in to magnify something by at least 30 times many of them are able to turn 360 degrees.

http://www.wkyt.com/home/headlines/Loui ... 89541.html

Some of the comments to this story are pretty scary. They are from a "hunters club" and they say they plan to be armed and ready.

Thunder is an all day festival but the fireworks don't start until around 9:30 or so. I read the stories of the attacks with great sadness, and also relief that I moved away from there not long ago.

By Jacob Ryan

Greg Fischer
Credit Louisville Metro Government

Mayor Greg Fischer is making a special request for the 600,000-plus expected Saturday on the waterfront for Thunder Over Louisville.

In the wake of youth violence last month in downtown Louisville, Fischer has requested that Thunder attendees leave guns at home in an effort to promote a safe environment at the fireworks and air show.

“We certainly recognize that people have the constitutional right to open carry or concealed carry if they’re permitted, but from a public safety standpoint we don’t think it is a good idea,” Fischer told WFPL on Friday.

“If there is an incident, the police aren’t going to know the difference between the good guys and the bad guys at the same time. So, we just ask people to use prudence and common sense.”

More than 1,100 police from multiple organizations will be working Thunder and 28 additional cameras have been installed to help emphasize safety in the Waterfront Park area.

Earlier in the week, Louisville Metro Police Chief, Steve Conrad, said Thunder Over Louisville is a day when police are “ready for anything.”

But some people said they still carry a gun, despite special requests anyone.

David Huff owns Performance Mechanical Defense, a Louisville-based gun retailer. He said if someone asked him to not carry a gun, he “would probably do it anyway.”

“I think anybody should be allowed to carry a gun,” he said. “I personally carry a gun all of the time. I hope I never have to use it, but I’ve always got it concealed.”

Eric Hansberry, a barber at T & B Classic Cuts in west Louisville, said he worries that if people bring guns to Thunder Over Louisville, innocent people may get hurt.

“People may feel threatened,” he said. “They could injure somebody that doesn’t deserve it just because of the way they look.

“No one wants to take nobody’s life or harm somebody,” he adds. “Leave your guns at home.”

WFPL's Joseph Lord contributed to this story.

http://wfpl.org/post/mayor-greg-fischer ... louisville

I am surprised this unfolding story has not caught national media attention. Or maybe I missed it!
Col. Quisp

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Thunder Over Louisville - next psyop?

Postby Col. Quisp » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:12 pm

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/ne ... p/6981285/
Claire Galofaro, The Courier-Journal; 11:59 a.m. EDT March 28, 2014

(Photo: photos FROM SURVEILLANCE VIDEOs)
Story Highlights

"They were organized and nobody else was," Jean Henry said of the mob that attacked her husband.
Police Chief Steve Conrad has spent the days since defending LMPD's response to the violence
60 teens stormed Bader's Foot Mart on South First Street, about a mile from Waterfront Park
Chief Steve Conrad pleaded with teenagers not to avenge Offutt's death with more random violence

A swarm of two dozen teenagers walked up to a man on the Big Four Bridge around 7 p.m. Saturday and asked him for a cigarette. Then, without provocation, they pummeled him.

Within minutes, 10 teenagers on the bridge shoved another man to the ground, beat and kicked him, as his wife and granddaughters watched and wept.

The simultaneous attacks in broad daylight early Saturday evening were the opening salvo in a rampage that spanned at least three hours and two dozen blocks, and has, in the days since, sent city officials scrambling to reassure the public that downtown Louisville has not devolved into a lawless battlefield.

A Courier-Journal review of dozens of incident reports obtained from Louisville Metro Police chronicle the teens' movements. Mobs of teenagers roved the streets, several dozen people deep. They beat a man unconscious, broke windows, threw rocks at moving cars, looted a store, threatened a police officer and mugged anyone who dared get in their way. More than 30 people called to report trouble. Police have counted at least 20 crimes, and suspect there are more that have yet to be reported.

"They were organized and nobody else was," Jean Henry said of the mob that knocked her 61-year-old husband to the ground on the Big Four Bridge, then beat and kicked him. "When I was running to my husband, I looked around. I couldn't tell who was in the group and who just happened to be up there. People were in shock, I think that's why nobody helped us."

Police Chief Steve Conrad has spent the days since defending his department's response to the outbreak of violence, and explaining how a mass of kids managed to elude police for hours and continue robbing, beating and vandalizing.

The Louisville Metro Police Department, it turns out, had been prepared for a different sort of trouble — in a different place.

TARC stabbing

A week earlier, on March 16, a 44-year-old man stabbed a 14-year-old boy and a 13-year-old girl on a TARC bus, according to police.

The boy, Ma'Quale Offutt, died of his injuries two days later. That same day, a horde of teenagers attempted to storm one bus at 34th and Broadway, and threw rocks at another bus four blocks west,a TARC spokeswoman said.

At the same time, large groups of teens had been reported congregating outside the McDonald's on West Broadway downtown, a nearby Kroger and at Shorty's Food Mart at West Broadway and 35th Street, said Deputy Chief Col. Yvette Gentry, who supervises the department's patrol units.

Police aren't sure whether the mischief was inspired by Offutt's death.

But, fearing more trouble the following Saturday — March 22 — the Louisville Metro Police Department stationed their VIPER and K9 units along Broadway on the fringe of downtown, Gentry said. Their patrol staff was larger than usual: 21 officers were working the First Division, which covers downtown, and 18 were assigned in the Second Division, which begins at the south side of Broadway. In all, 49 police officers were stationed along the Broadway corridor, the main route where they feared disorder.

Gentry acknowledges they were not expecting the explosion of violence at the waterfront.

Series of attacks

Police pieced together after the rampage that a group of around 200 teens had gathered at Waterfront Park in the late afternoon that Saturday for a memorial for Offutt, according to police. The memorial, they believe, began peacefully.

But at 7 p.m. — and for reasons that no one has yet offered — groups attacked Henry's husband and the other man on the bridge, both strangers to them.

Police soon responded but did not take a report, something Police Chief Steve Conrad has acknowledged was a mistake. Henry took himself to the hospital.

The violence quickly spiraled. According to the police reports:

At 7:23, just minutes after the two attacks on the bridge, police received a call of trouble nearby. A group of teenagers apparently decided they wanted a 13-year-old girl's sneakers. They punched and kicked her as they robbed the child of her iPhone and her purse. A 30-year-old stranger tried to come to her aid. The mob turned on him; someone stole his wallet, while another took his cell phone.

The man was taken to the hospital with cuts to his face and the back of his head.

An officer responded to that attack, and a witness pointed to a man they saw pull a gun from a trash can. Officers wrote that 18-year-old Je'Rece M. Archie was "making furtive movements to his pants." They stopped him at gunpoint and ordered him to show his hands. He allegedly pulled a loaded revolver from his pocket; police ordered him to drop it, and he complied. Archie and a 17-year-old friend were arrested on illegal weapons charges — the first and only arrests of the hours-long ordeal.

Some groups of kids fanned out to other parts of downtown. Others stayed behind and wreaked more havoc at the park.

Police responded to each incident, but never caught them in the act. Officers encountered groups of kids in the streets, but witnessed them commit no crimes and had no grounds to arrest them, said LMPD spokesman Dwight Mitchell.

Instead, they ordered them to disperse. But the groups just splintered, reorganized and stormed the streets some more.

Sometime between 7:30 and 8 p.m., a group jumped up and down on a car parked in a Courier-Journal parking lot on West Broadway, according to incident reports.

Between 8 and 8:30 p.m., back at Waterfront Park, a group of teens punched a 15-year-old in the face and stole his cell phone and wallet.

A police officer there attempted to stop a teenager, who "pulled away from the officer and postured himself in an aggressive manner and balled his fists," one incident report states. The officer ticketed the boy for menacing. He was released to his parents, Mitchell said.

A few minutes later, around 8:45, about 60 teens stormed Bader's Foot Mart on South First Street, about a mile from Waterfront Park. Employees tried to block the door, said Najisha McCubbins, a clerk whose husband also was working the store.

The group piled up outside. Employees could see them organizing: they said "ready, set, 1, 2, 3" and charged.

They pushed inside and beat McCubbins' husband him on the head, according to the police report. Surveillance footage shows the teenagers grabbing candy and chips as they fled.

The group moved down Liberty Street, where a 25-year-old woman was stopped at a stoplight around 8:55 p.m., according to the report. "Out of nowhere," she told police, a group of between 30 and 40 teenage boys surrounded her car and banged on it. They threw trash cans and rocks at her. One reached through her open window and punched her in the face.

She ran bleeding into Bader's, and was later taken to the hospital for stitches in her left cheek.

Minutes later and two blocks away at South Second and West Liberty streets, a 53-year-old man sitting in his truck watched as a horde of teens circled him, cursing and banging on the side of his pickup. He got out and told them to leave him alone. They punched him in the face and stole the cell phone from his shirt pocket. Then they climbed onto the hood of his truck and kicked in the windshield.

Then just after 9 p.m., back near The Courier-Journal,surveillance cameras pointed at the newspaper parking lot captured a mob of people, at least 30, parading down Fifth Street toward Broadway and across the newspaper's visitors' lot. Some marched along the tops of cars, others jumped on them like trampolines, one did a flip onto the roof of a sedan.

Around the same time at Sixth and Broadway,the mob attacked a 37-year-old man riding a yellow bicycle along Sixth. They knocked him off the bike, then punched and kicked him in the head. The group fled with the man's bike, leaving him bleeding on the sidewalk from a cut to the head.

Around 9:15 p.m., a 29-year-old man told police he was driving along Fifth Street, near The Courier-Journal building, when 40 to 50 males swarmed his car. They punched the car and threw rocks and trash cans at him.

Police believe that same group beat a 58-year-old man unconscious — officers found him at South Fifth Street and West Broadway, around 9:40 p.m. with obvious broken bones and a missing wallet. He was taken to the hospital. Police could not provide an update on his condition Thursday.

As suddenly as it started, the violence petered out: the next report came two hours later and more than 10 blocks away. A woman called from South 15th Street to say several teenagers pushed her, hit her in the head, grabbed her cell phone and fled.

That night and the following morning, people returned to their cars and their offices to survey the damage the mob left in its wake. Employees at a West Broadway business discovered the front window missing. People called police from all over downtown to say that their cars had been defaced: they reported shattered windshields, dented roofs and cars covered in dirty shoe prints.

The mob's wake

Days later, as officials hurried to prove to frightened and angry citizens that they can keep the city safe, prosecutors announced that the man who stabbed Offutt would not be charged with his murder. A grand jury watched the surveillance video from the bus and determined that Anthony Rene Allen jabbed his knife at the teenagers in self defense. The teens attacked him; he tried to retreat, he even asked the bus driver to open the door and let him free.

Conrad, with activist Christopher 2X, pleaded with teenagers not to avenge Offutt's death with more random violence, and begged parents to keep tabs on their kids.

Reporter Claire Galofaro can be reached at (502) 582-7086. Follow her on Twitter at @clairegalofaro.
Col. Quisp

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:22 pm

I hate to say it, but: concealed carry laws are an actual solution to this.

When these kids realize they could be shot in the face for these kinds of transgressions, their nuts will shrivel back to a more realistic size.

Vermont has a low crime rate because of our unusually permissive firearms laws. Growing up in the Kingdom, we were hesitant to even do vandalism because we know most homeowners were not only armed but ready.

I realize this is, most likely, an unpopular opinion on RI.
Wombaticus Rex

Postby NeonLX » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:50 pm

Actually, I agree WR. The subject of guns is used by politicians and the media to elicit pavlovian responses from the partisans. Where I grew up, everyone carried. We didn't even lock our houses or cars.
America is a fucked society because there is no room for essential human dignity. Its all about what you have, not who you are.--Joe Hillshoist
NeonLX

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:37 pm

Two things:

1)

On Thursday, a letter from the FBI was leaked regarding their investigation on a group that could be responsible for this violence-- a group known as YNO.

The email says the group is 'armed in major way' and states: "There have been rumblings about YNO members planning on going deep at the upcoming derby parade. Specific plans for acts of violence or other criminal activity by YNO at the parade are currently unknown."

That reads like a fabricated leak to me.

2) Ugly, but: from the footage, it seems like that Courier article is carefully omitting the fact the teenagers in question were black, and their targets were white. Anyone else seeing that? I would hugely prefer to be wrong.
Wombaticus Rex

Postby Col. Quisp » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:37 pm

Couple of quick thoughts - I also agree that concealed carry is a good thing. The fact that the mayor is telling people not to bring weapons to Thunder is nuts. The whole thing seems designed to make people afraid of going out. And the "going deep" quote does seem like a deliberate leak.

And yes, the Courier Journal is a tad too PC, but I don't think the victims were all white.. I think it was just anyone who happened to be in their way. I almost wonder if this "gang" is being built up by unseen forces...the so-called Chicago people who "encouraged" them to be more serious...it all reads like an episode from The Wire....even down to talking about "corners." It is making me very sad.

Guess the fireworks are going on right now. I am afraid to check the news.
Col. Quisp

Postby Grizzly » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:30 am

They choose the time, they choose the plight, they calculate their birth right.. apologies to P.J. Harvey.
“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby jingofever » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:55 am

Is this the so-called "Knockout Game"?

By the way, I just searched "Kentucky Derby" on Google and immediately after that I searched "so-called" to make sure it takes a dash and there were Kentucky Derby results that contained "so" and "called" among the expected "so-called" results. I did not know that Google does that. I do not like composition of search results.
jingofever

Postby km artlu » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:48 am

when such thugs begin to show up in nifty uniforms.....
km artlu

Postby Col. Quisp » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:27 am

Well, they did say the gang was rumbling about "going deep" and attacking during the Pegasus Parade (the Thursday before the Derby) - that would be more like the Boston marathon - lots of people lined up on Broadway. Thank goodness and goodnesses there was no one hurt last night.

At least the people who did brave the thugs got good seats for once.
Col. Quisp

Postby Luther Blissett » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:43 am

Just as a brief note - the "Young'N Off That" group are predominantly middle-schoolers, otherwise known as 11-, 12-, and 13-year olds. I think the "problem" and "solution" might be a different one.
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:41 am

Luther Blissett » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:43 am wrote:Just as a brief note - the "Young'N Off That" group are predominantly middle-schoolers, otherwise known as 11-, 12-, and 13-year olds. I think the "problem" and "solution" might be a different one.

Yeah, the extended FBI / SMPD statement is a garbled mess of pre-teen braggadocio and bizarre assertions.

A lot of the "YNO" noise might be preteen fantasy, but the attacks and mob violence are real enough.

Me, I blame Chief Keef and Ronald Reagan for all of this.
Wombaticus Rex

Postby MayDay » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:45 pm

If you'd like to stop by, our doors are unlocked. Now this is Texas, mind you, so watch your manners.
MayDay

Postby Luther Blissett » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:53 am

The flash mob and knockout game hysteria here were [urlhttp://www.salon.com/2012/08/13/why_conservatives_obsess_over_flash_mobs_and_race_riots/]largely based in myth[/url]. It was always way more about black youth reclaiming public space coupled with a breakdown in the Philadelphia public schools which only further embittered an already marginalized youth. I don't disbelieve in the very small number of isolated violent incidents committed by individuals during these fair-weather outdoor gatherings, but they aren't indicative of the larger reality — they are the outliers.

The least safe I feel here is not around black or lower class youth. I'm terrified during any large Ivy League Penn spectacle, like Spring Fling, St. Patrick's Day (month), and move-in week. I witness far more acts of violence, face intimidation and harassment on the street and have to carefully wade through crowds anytime the city's ultra-wealthy youth gather en masse.

I believe the phenomenon in Louisville is largely exacerbated by a gassed-up media if it's anything like Philadelphia.
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Postby Col. Quisp » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:55 am

Louisville is always behind the rest of the country when it comes to trends. Usually the lag is about fifteen years.
Col. Quisp

Next

Return to General Discussion