Viking Ireland

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Viking Ireland

Postby seemslikeadream » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:39 pm

Viking Ireland, a fantastic series of videos by the National Museum of Ireland

The Vikings in Ireland is a fantastic series of videos, which have been produced by the National Museum of Ireland to celebrate the 1000 year anniversary of the Battle of Clontarf. You can view the videos below.

1. Dr Andy Halpin, Assistant Keeper at the National Museum of Ireland, discusses three newly discovered Viking battle axes found at Lough Corrib in Co. Galway.

2. Dr Andy Halpin discusses the Museum’s newest Viking sword, discovered in the River Shannon near Banagher in 2012. While Carol Smith, Conservator at the National Museum, explains what x-rays can tell us about the structure and decoration of Viking swords.

3. Dr Andy Halpin shows how Viking trade routes introduced coinage from Arabic and Anglo-Saxon societies.

4. Maeve Sikora, Assistant Keeper at the National Museum of Ireland, focuses on everyday objects excavated at burial sites and what they tell us about the role of women at the time.

5. Maeve Sikora discusses what the Vikings believed, and how objects found in graves excavated in Dublin help us understand Viking culture.

6. Eamonn Kelly, Keeper at the National Museum of Ireland, explains how Irish society was different from the Vikings, where the Irish lived and the interaction between the Vikings and the Irish.

7. Dr Patrick F Wallace, former Director of the National Museum, discusses finds from excavations from one of the world’s best preserved Viking towns: Dublin.

8. Director of the National Museum of Ireland, Raghnall Ó Floinn, discusses how Viking art styles appear on Irish Christian artefacts such as the Clonmacnoise Crozier, the Shrine of the Cathach, and the Cross of Cong.

Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Re: Viking Ireland

Postby Hammer of Los » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:07 pm

Long live the brave vikings!

A dying breed alas!

I might go to dat Viking centre in York one day.

I remember a funny story about that.

Summat about da end of da world.

Some crazy s**t, anyway.

;)
Hammer of Los

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby KUAN » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:10 am

The Atlantean Irish

This is the only place I've found:
Bob Quinn's Atlantean Parts 1 & 2

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v16718666HP6m ... tean+1%262

Hope it's legal
KUAN

Postby DrEvil » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:19 pm

Hammer of Los » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:07 am wrote:...
Long live the brave vikings!

A dying breed alas!

I might go to dat Viking centre in York one day.

I remember a funny story about that.

Summat about da end of da world.

Some crazy s**t, anyway.

;)

No worries. When the oil runs out we will be back to looting, pillaging and rude behavior in no time.

And you're thinking of Ragnarok I presume. Again - no worries. There will be a beer hall left standing after the dust settles. :)
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Postby slimmouse » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:19 pm

No worries. When the oil runs out we will be back to looting, pillaging and rude behavior in no time.

That quote has just blown my mind.

I presume you mean that from the point in time when the oil runs out , we will all be doing it more individually against each other, instead of the collective group of rich and powerful, who have been doing all the looting pillaging and rude behaviour in our current midst since a long time before you or I were born , using us as their instruments ? :D

That might constitute a refreshing change !
slimmouse

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby DrEvil » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:14 pm

Well, I was talking about Vikings specifically, since I'm Norwegian and we're pumping oil like there's no tomorrow (interesting side-thought: At what point is it more ecologically responsible to blow up an oil platform than let it keep pumping? Local damage vs. global damage.), but I get your point.

First place we sack is the City of London. :D
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Return to General Discussion