Fargo

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Fargo

Postby lucky » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:16 pm

This was the second Coen brothers movie I saw, Blood simple bening the first - I think. I loved it like most of te films they have made so i was surprised to see that they are pushing a TV series of the sme name and presumably the same story - my question is why? has it been shown stateside? - surprised no one has brought it up.
What a shame screwing around with a great movie IMO , slicing it up in to advert friendly slices :wallhead:
There's holes in the sky where rain gets in
the holes are small
that's why rain is thin.
lucky

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Fargo

Postby slimmouse » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:54 pm

The Coen brothers for me have made by far and away the most diverse, interesting, entertaining movies that came out of Hollywood during the time that I was more interested in movies.

Im thinking

"Oh Brother Where art thou"
"intolerable cruelty"
"The man who wasnt there"
And of course fargo.

To name but 4

Have they done anything recently?

The last film I watched of theirs was "No Country for Old people", (or somet similar title ).
slimmouse

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:33 pm

Yes, their most recent film was pretty forgettable, one of the sideways turns they always do on their way back to a Higher Greatness.

It was called Inside Llwellyn Davis -- a first name I've never been able to spell or even comprehend -- and it was about the New York folk scene in the 60's just after Dylan blew up and money started being made. It was scrupulously observed, beautifully detailed, and deliberately pointless.

I walked out of the theater and my friend asked: "Was that even a movie?"

Fortunately, I still had the ticket stubs so I could verify that it was. Barely, though.

As for this Fargo remake, very strange. Billy Bob is responsible somehow, I feel it in my bones.
Wombaticus Rex

Postby justdrew » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:42 pm

these two are good:
2008 Burn After Reading
2009 A Serious Man

and older:
The Big Lebowski, Barton Fink & Raising Arizona

never seen Fargo, just didn't sound like something I'm interested in.

is this in the newer movie WR? :rofl2

By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby minime » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:43 pm

Wombaticus Rex » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:33 pm wrote:Yes, their most recent film was pretty forgettable, one of the sideways turns they always do on their way back to a Higher Greatness.

It was scrupulously observed, beautifully detailed, and deliberately pointless.

Llewyn Davis...

Scrupulously observed, beautifully detailed, and deliberately pointless = pretty forgettable?

Was it the "deliberately pointless" part?

What kind of meaning were you looking for? What Higher Greatness?
minime

Postby Hunter » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:27 pm

Not a big TV guy myself but watched the first episode with the wifey and it was actually really good.

Has anyone watched the TV show Orphan Black, it is about Human Cloning and is very well done, season two starts tonight on BBC America, you will need to find a way to catch up on season one first though, there is a lot there but this is a quality TV show that raises a lot of interesting issues about the effects and ethics of human cloning.

The actress who plays about 15 different clones of herself all with various personalities and from different walks of life, is really great, that cannot be an easy role to play.
Hunter

Postby Iamwhomiam » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:54 pm

"What kind of meaning were you looking for? What Higher Greatness?"

Perhaps nothing more than the unmet expectation of one not being able to engage either their suspension of disbelief or belief?

Wadda ya want from me? I disliked the big lebowski. Honestly, it left me feeling ill. While I enjoyed Fargo, it too made me cringe. Desperate people do drastic things.

I'm movie deprived.
Iamwhomiam

Postby minime » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:59 pm

Iamwhomiam » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:54 pm wrote:"What kind of meaning were you looking for? What Higher Greatness?"

Perhaps nothing more than the unmet expectation of one not being able to engage either their suspension of disbelief or belief?

Wadda ya want from me? I disliked the big lebowski. Honestly, it left me feeling ill. While I enjoyed Fargo, it too made me cringe. Desperate people do drastic things.

I'm movie deprived.

Sorry, whom, my questions were addressed to Wombaticus Rex.
minime

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:48 am

minime » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:43 pm wrote:
What kind of meaning were you looking for? What Higher Greatness?

A discernable plot would have been an ideal start!

Tried the first episode of this new Fargo but I just couldn't do it.
Wombaticus Rex

Postby NeonLX » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:43 am

Lots of people seem to think that the characters in Fargo spoke with a funny accent. I certainly didn't detect it, don'tcha know.
America is a fucked society because there is no room for essential human dignity. Its all about what you have, not who you are.--Joe Hillshoist
NeonLX

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby lucky » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:06 pm

NeonLX » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:43 pm wrote:Lots of people seem to think that the characters in Fargo spoke with a funny accent. I certainly didn't detect it, don'tcha know.

I never understand how even folk over here -uk- find it hard too tell the difference between canadian and us accents. Recorded the 1st episode to watch maybe tonight - the Times reviewed it favourably so who knows?
the holes are small
that's why rain is thin.
lucky

Postby lucky » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:02 pm

the WHY is in the movie along with the plot and story.....
the holes are small
that's why rain is thin.
lucky

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:04 pm

Hunter, I apologize: I edited your post instead of quoting and responding to it.

It was irrevocably borked and I deleted it. My bad, 100%.
Wombaticus Rex

Postby Hunter » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:09 pm

Hahaha no problem brother, I started a new thread about Orphan Black which was a lot of what was in that post anyway. It is a show that deserves its own thread anyway but thanks for letting me know! I would have wondered WTF lol
Hunter

Postby justdrew » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:10 pm

well, I did like Inside Llwellyn Davis - though it's a bit damn sad as fuck at points.

not too sure HOW the coehn bros sympathized with the character though, seems like a couple decades or three now they've been handed anything they want on a silver platter. yet it works, to some extent. I suppose the emergence of dylan at the end is meant to indicate LD's fortunes will soon turn around.
By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Next

Return to General Discussion