ORPHAN BLACK anyone watching it?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

ORPHAN BLACK anyone watching it?

Postby Hunter » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:46 pm

Here is some comments from various places, some spoilers. Season two just started yesterday so youll have to find a way to catch up on season if you have not seen it yet. It is on BBCAmerica and you can watch season one on Amazon among other places, I think NETFLIX has the DVDs for season one if you have the DVD plan but it isnt on streaming yet,

If anyone knows where one can watch season one for free please tell, it can be found on ON DEMAND but my cable company already took season one off and there are a few episodes I wanted to go back and watch, this is a superb show about human cloning and the ethics and problems that would arise from it.

The show features CONSPIRACIES, EVIL DOCTORS AND GREEDY CORPORATIONS, a little bit of everything for everyone!

I should have started this thread earlier but this is a series on BBCAmerica that was the best new thing I've seen in a while. It has a great story, is very well filmed and has tremendous acting especially by the lead actress, Tatiana Maslany.

The first two shows were good but it is the third show that grabs you by the yarbles and does not let you go. It is not on the horizon but you can watch it if you have on demand or otherwise it is on dvd or itunes or Amazon. I highly recommend it.

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20700587,00.html

Even stronger proof is network sibling Orphan Black. There's no better special effect on television right now than Tatiana Maslany playing a variety of clones: Sarah, an English punk who hijacked the identity of another doppelgänger; Beth, a deceased cop; Helena, a Ukrainian assassin; Alison, a mousy American housewife; and Cosima, a saucy college student. Most are working together to solve the mystery of their existence. Early episodes were taut thrillers, while recent episodes have deepened the characters and dialed up the humor without subverting the tension. Slowly, a smartly constructed epic is taking shape. Orphan Black is a show that — like that nerdy wonder Game of Thrones — defies any genre label, save Really Cool Original Stuff. Which, for me, is the true definition of Geek TV.

http://articles.philly.com/2013-03-3...n-orphan-black

Orphan Black was created by two of Canada's best cult auteurs: Cube director Graeme Manson and John Fawcett, who is best known for the feminist werewolf flick Ginger Snaps.

Tatiana Maslany ( The Vow, Being Erica) gives a fearless performance as Sarah, a petty thief and hustler who rolls into Toronto after nearly a year on the lam only to have the shock of her life when she witnesses a smartly dressed woman throw herself in front of an oncoming train.

It's a double shock: For an instant, the woman turns to face Sarah. The two are identical.

Did Sarah, an orphan, have a twin?

No time for questions.

Sarah is on the run from an abusive boyfriend, from the law, and, most desperately, from her own life. So she makes the only logical, if insane, decision possible: assume the identity of dead woman, Beth Childs. It's a sweet deal: Beth owns a beautiful, luxe pad and has $75,000 in the bank.

Things sour fast when Sarah finds out Beth is a police detective and has a live-in boyfriend. The best-laid plans, right?

In another crazy turn, a second Sarah double, a German named Katja, accosts Sarah in her car and asks for protection.

Katja tells Sarah all the sisters are being hunted down and killed. ( Sisters?! All of them? How many are there?)

A gunshot. Blood everywhere. A car chase.

There ends the pilot.

With its superb production values and terrific acting, especially from Maslany (man, she's something else), Orphan Black could very well turn out to be one of the best thrillers of the year.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/...eason-1-review

Normally, since a season review goes up after all the episodes have aired, we go into full spoilers, but I’m going to hold back on that with Orphan Black. Because really, this is about me trying to get more people to check out this incredibly cool show.

Until last week, just as its first season was ending, I hadn’t seen Orphan Black. But hearing a growing buzz around the series, I decided to finally check it out, and was quickly hooked. The series starts solid, and around episode three it becomes completely engrossing, with an increasingly fascinating and complicated storyline.

Tatiana Maslany stars as Sarah, a con artist and criminal who one day sees something shocking – a woman who looks just like her, who leaps in front of a train. Ever the opportunist, Sarah impulsively grabs the woman’s purse, seeing the chance to possibly make a cash grab. But there is much more going on than Sarah can suspect, as she discovers she and her mystery lookalike are two of a much larger number of clones. Who made them and for what purpose? Well, that’s what the TV show is about, of course….

Orphan Black has a lot of reasons to recommend it, including a very fun storyline that keeps adding twists and turns, as Sarah finds out she and her fellow clones are in great danger. But the number one reason to watch is Tatiana Maslany. To use a cliché, the Canadian actress gives a revelatory performance here; or, to be more precise, performances.

Certainly, the hair, makeup and costume team on Orphan Black have done an excellent job giving each clone Maslany plays a distinct look, to make them easily recognizable from one another. But beyond that, Maslany 100% commits to making each of these woman a very specific, very different person, with absolutely incredible results. Beyond the different accents they have (Sarah’s from England, and other clones are from the Ukraine and Germany, among other locations), Maslany imbues each clone with completely different mannerisms, posture, disposition and so on and so on.

Besides Sarah, two other clones soon become main characters – Budding scientist Cosimia and “soccer mom” Allison. Watching these characters, whether together or off in their own storylines, it sometimes becomes hard to compute that one woman is playing all three of them. They are all so distinct and so fully formed, it’s simply amazing to realize the work Maslany is doing and how technical it must be when she’s in a scene with herself… and herself. I know, I’m gushing here, but this is easily one of the best performances of the year and it really is something you have to see to believe.

Maslany is given strong support from her costars, including Jordan Gavaris as Felix, Sarah’s foster brother and Maria Doyle Kennedy as Sioban, AKA Mrs. S, Sarah and Felix’s foster mother. There’s also an entire police department storyline, as Sarah discovers Beth, the woman who threw herself in front of a train, was a cop, with Kevin Hanchard doing solid work as Art, Beth’s partner, who has his own secrets to protect.

Sarah taking on Beth’s role as a police officer is one of the show’s bigger leaps – while plenty of time is spent reminding us she has no idea what she’s doing, including how to put on a gun holster, it still seems unlikely her behavior wouldn’t immediately raise more red flags. But Orphan Black has so many great elements, that’s easy to look past, especially since it does such a good job of raising the tension when Sarah is in danger of being caught in various situations she’d have a nearly impossible time explaining.

As the season progressed, much more was revealed about the clones and more than one organization with a vested interest in the clones – whether their intentions were noble or diabolical. The wonderful Matt Frewer (Max Headroom!) is introduced as Dr. Aldous Leekie, among other important characters, and each piece of the puzzle is fun and exciting to learn.

Orphan Black’s first season was ten episodes, so there’s not a huge time commitment needed to catch up. I watched it all for free via BBC America’s On Demand channel, so look for it on your cable system. If it's not available On Demand via your cable company, you can also find the episodes on iTunes and Amazon. My wife and I burned through the season in three viewings, and I can imagine others watching it even more quickly, as its highly addictive the storyline grows increasingly involving, making it difficult to not want to watch the next episode right away.

All of which is to say… You really should catch up on this awesome show.
Hunter

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: ORPHAN BLACK anyone watching it?

Postby boomerdog » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:48 pm

Longtime lurker but I had to chime in for this one. Yes, I'm watching it and it's terrific. I can't believe what a great job T.M. does of portraying each distinct person, with different accents, attitudes, body language. I don't have cable or Amazon Prime. I have found it here:

watchseriesonline.lt

I find the link at vidto to require no downloads to watch. Been catching and keeping up on a couple of shows that way. Usually I don't care about waiting for DVD, but this is one of the shows I can't wait to see. Imagine finding out your genes are owned by someone and you have no idea who.... a situation we may all find ourselves in if Monsanto has their way.
boomerdog

Postby Hunter » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:54 pm

Indeed there are some real future life situations in this show to consider and that is why I like it, in addition to the fact that TM is doing an incredible job playing about 5 different people that are all her yet different people from various walks of life. Crazy talent to pull off what she is pulling off and as I understand it the second season is going to introduce even more clones of her, or others, I forget which but they said they are also going to explore Beth's life more, she is the one who killed herself when she threw herself in front of the train so she obviously knew something that troubled her and they are going to focus on her backstory in this new season, that should be interesting!
Hunter

Postby Project Willow » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:56 pm

I've seen it. It falls apart in places, especially the fake detective bit, but otherwise it's watchable. In one scene, the main character clone is accessed in her sleep, they don't explain how this is managed so that she doesn't remember, but she wakes up and finds an errant electrode and needle marks. Yah, very familiar.
Project Willow

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Hunter » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:54 pm

That was definitely an interesting scene. I agree about her becoming a cop, bit of a hollywood reach but the rest of the show makes up for it with some very interesting situations. Interested to see where it all ends up.
Hunter

Postby Spiro C. Thiery » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:55 pm

:bump

on edit:
It's easy to heap praise whenever an actor plays multiple roles in something, but Maslany is seriously doing a noteworthy job in this series. Not so much for her distinction with accents (itself attributable to her background and upbringing, rendering it thereby less remarkable since it would come so naturally), but her seemingly effortless attention to detail in her creation of character. So incredible really, that I think some would overlook it (and have, apparently).

An aspect I dig so far about OB overall is that it does not appear to be peddling any "good guy agenda" that so many conspiracy dramas or law enforcement procedures are wont to do. The extent to which it does, at any rate, does not seem intentionally manipulative.
Seeing the world through rose-colored latex.
Spiro C. Thiery

Postby LilyPatToo » Thu May 01, 2014 3:39 pm

This show is as addictive as crack. That said, it's (so far) not let me down as far as overall quality goes, which is unusual for TV. I remain in awe of the actress's command of her craft--each new clone she encounters is very distinctly a different person. Love the scenes where 2 or more of them interact and also any scene with her foster home brother--he brings much-needed comic relief to the dark scripts.

LilyPat
LilyPatToo

Postby Hunter » Thu May 01, 2014 9:19 pm

I AGREE I dont think I have ever seen any actress or actor do this so well before, it must take tremendous focus. She needs to get awards for this.
Hunter

Return to General Discussion