The Institute

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

The Institute

Postby Project Willow » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:54 am

So, I was (understandably to those who know the history here) reticent to bring this up in this venue for fear it might lead round to bad memories and threads now inaccessible, regardless, it feels odd to have no comment here whatsoever.

The film is accessible on Netflix. There's a tremendous amount of money behind both the project and the film. The film contains numerous examples of fakery in the form of several ex-participants who obviously aren't "ex".

The ARG, as we know well, involves so many tropes of mind control, it's difficult to catalog them all. This project is yet another nexus where conspiracy theory meets art, and so the path is incredibly murky.

Anyhoo, if you've seen it, please discuss...

http://www.theinstitutemovie.com/

Project Willow

Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: The Institute

Postby operator kos » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:15 pm

Damn, I was living in that area when it was going on and I had never heard of it until now. Will definitely look it up. Have definitely run into people claiming to be gang stalked and/or subject to electronic harassment though.
operator kos

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Searcher08 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:27 pm

FWIW, that little trailer had elements of an Ericksonian deep trance induction within it.

I dont know what to think of it - given the intersection between Intel and the horrors of ongoing torture-friendly, academic psychiatry engaged in Aquino style "Mindwar" research, I would suggest that the viewer is intended to be mindfucked.
Searcher08

Postby elfismiles » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:29 pm

Project Willow » 20 Jun 2014 06:54 wrote:So, I was (understandably to those who know the history here) reticent to bring this up in this venue for fear it might lead round to bad memories and threads now inaccessible, regardless, it feels odd to have no comment here whatsoever.

Hi PW ... there has been past discussion of it, or rather - at least documenting of it:

Jejune Rises Again...
Post by elfismiles » 30 Oct 2013 15:21
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=37387

elfismiles » 30 Oct 2013 15:21 wrote:Apparently my wife saw this "documentary" but says it was not presented as such and the participants were listed as actors etc.
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby elfismiles » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:34 pm

I'll be watching it this weekend if possible:

ImageThe Institute
2013, NR, 90 minutes
Meet some of the 10,000 San Franciscans who took part in the Jejune Institute, a combination citywide art project and living game, from 2008 to 2011.
Cast: Arye Bender, Jeff Hull, Gordon McLaughlin
Genre: Documentaries, Social & Cultural Documentaries
This movie is: Cerebral
elfismiles

Postby elfismiles » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:56 pm

Okay, so I just watched it this evening with my wife (who had NOT seen it as I originally suggested) ...

I wanna know how it was funded.

IARPA loves ARGs
Post by LilyPatToo » 26 Mar 2013 20:28
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=36207

http://www.networkworld.com/article/222 ... searc.html

EDIT TO ADD:

http://www.austinfilm.org/avant-cinema/ ... -institute

Directed by Spencer McCall; Starring Arye Bender, Jeff Hull, and Gordon Mclaughlin, Argot Pictures, US, 2012, 92 min.

Spook Country: Spencer McCall on The Institute
TheInstitute
by Brandon Harris
in Directors, Interviews
on Oct 11, 2013

Spencer McCall, The Institute

Just what the hell was the Jejune Institute? After watching Spencer McCall’s fascinating and intentionally puzzling documentary The Institute, I’m still not quite sure. An interactive, multimedia, experiential game, based in a nondescript building in San Francisco’s central business district that thrives of]n the memory of a woman who disappeared into the Bay Area night a quarter century ago and never returned? Perhaps, I guess. A scripted experience surely, an alternate-reality game involving participants in events both spooky and merely bizarre, including scavenger hunts to fairly ominous locales, mock public protests and sundry hijinks that would feel right at home in a Thomas Pynchon novel surely. But to what end? Self-actualization, empathy, fairness? Beats me. What I can say is that more than 10,000 people participated in a life-altering San Francisco mind trip, surely inspired in part by David Fincher’s 1997 film The Game, whether they knew it or not.

Apparently there was an organization, or two, that plotted the whole affair from a purely benevolent perspective, but in interviews with participants and realms of archival footage from various events associated with Jejune, it’s not clear how benevolent the intentions of the “creators” are. What is mainly revealed in interviews with the participants is how wonderful the process, however opaque, made and continues to make them feel, to a remarkably creepy degree. Are we dealing with a cult here? Is one being brainwashed by merely watching this film? Is it, indeed, part of the experience Jejune is ostensibly offering? This viewer knows not. What I do know is that the film, and it’s subject, are wonderfully strange; The Institute proves to be oddly engrossing viewing, a trip down a rabbit hole you will never get to the bottom of. The debut feature film from Spencer McCall, it world premiered at Mill Valley and screened in competition at this year’s Slamdance Film Festival. It opens today in Manhattan at the Cinema Village.
Spencer McCall

Spencer McCall

Filmmaker: How did you first hear about the Jejune Institute?

McCall: It actually started a long time ago. I got out of school and I landed a job doing videography for this really weird biotech company. I had to sign a “do not disclose” agreement before I did the interview and it turned out to be a dog-cloning company for really rich, eccentric people.

Filmmaker: They clone dogs?

McCall: Yes. They clone dogs. Yeah. I got to travel around the world shooting video of cloned dogs right after I got out of school. It was pretty cool. It was $150,000 to clone a dog and the company was launching right at the height of the recession. It pretty quickly went out of business and I got laid off. I was floating around for a while after that. A friend of mine named Gordo, he’s an actor and a street performer and he’s the guy that leads the protest in the film. Everybody in San Francisco had heard whispers and rumors about the Jejune Institute. People knew that something miraculous and bizarre would occur should you travel to 580 California on the 16th floor. I hadn’t done it at that point but Gordo had. He talks a little about that and how he had found one of the people behind it. Sometime during the protest or right before it, we heard from someone involved that they were looking to build a series of propaganda videos, alternate history videos about the Institute. He gave them my name and email and said I’d put some video together if they needed it.

It wasn’t immediate but a couple months later I got this email from them that was really weird and cryptic and ambiguous. Along with it came this FTP log in to download so much footage. They sent me voice-over and descriptions as well. It was very strange. I put together what ended up being the induction video that you see at the very beginning. I never met them or spoke to them. From 2008-2011 I would get these strange emails or letters or packages from the post office that would contain hard drives full of footage and assets and creepy photos. It didn’t make a lot of sense. So I would edit these two- or three-minute videos for them and then send it back. I never really saw where these ended up until after it was all over. Never met them. They didn’t really pay much, but they were generally easy to do, it was just assembling what they wanted and what they referenced in their emails.

I got an email from who I later found out was Jeff [one of the "creators"] saying they were shutting everything down [and they needed] some stuff for the final event. At that point he sent me in the mail a hard drive that had hundreds of hours of archival footage, footage shot by participants, really weird stuff, footage of people in sewers. I edited the video for them and then they just dropped off the face of the earth. They left this hard drive with me. I was still unemployed and I couldn’t really figure out what the point of the Jejune Institute was. I never participated in it at all, but I really wanted to know what it meant. I started going through this hard drive, assembling the footage, organizing the footage chronologically, if just to try to figure out where this started and where it all ended up. That didn’t really answer any questions. I started recognizing the people in the clips and sometimes there names were used so I started reaching out to them and asking them for interviews. That’s basically what I did with about 20 people, only nine of which ended up in the film. I just had them tell their stories about what it meant to them and how they got involved. I put together a cut that was about two and a half hours. It explained a lot more than the film does now but it was just too much. As I was interviewing subjects, word of it got back to Jeff. He said, “If you’re going to do this, that’s fine but I’d like to get my opinion in there a bit.” So I sent that super long cut to him and luckily he really liked it.

Filmmaker: How long did the project take you to put together after you started making it into a longer thing?

McCall: I was shooting while I was editing. I’m a multimedia developer and an adjunct professor teaching motion graphics design, so the way my brain works, I just shot to benefit the edit. When I don’t have the assets or media I need, that’s when I’d do the walkthrough on a little Steadicam thing or that’s when I’d go and get an interview. The story is so wild, I really wanted to tell it in a structure that was familiar to people, I wanted to tell it in three acts, I wanted it to be chronological, I wanted to introduce the world, make it dark, make it depressing and then resolve the problem of what this was, what it represented, to a lot of people. I wanted to have some kind of very familiar revelation, even if there isn’t an explosion or something. I tried to structure it the way you would watch and action movie or a thriller. Something very recognizable for people. So when I had a road block, when I didn’t have a piece of footage, I’d just go out and shoot it. It was originally going to have voiceover throughout the entire film, but then I started to think about it like Alice in Wonderland. Alice doesn’t have someone holding her hand through wonderland. If I had a voiceover, it would be outside of the spirit of the project I was documenting. The participants had so little explained to them that ultimately I thought the whole experience would be a lot more fun if there was more nuance to it and little was explained to the audience, I wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt and the chance to explore on their own. The film is just the beginning, it’s just the doorway to something else that’s coming in a few months. You can step through the doorway yourself, but nobody is going to push you through it. If you don’t like the film, that’s totally cool, but you’ll probably miss out on some experiences that are being built for people in the next few months and looking at the world in an interesting new way.

Filmmaker: What is the Jejune Institute in its essence?

McCall: In its essence, it’s an elegy for a girl who went missing in the ’80s, it’s an art project that tries to represent what this girl believed in, what her philosophy was, everything she was wrapped up in. That said, it’s an experiment in experiential art and transmedia storytelling. That was something that was important to Jeff outside of his knowledge of and relationship to this girl who went missing in the ’80s. I think Jeff was a guy who was very interested in transmedia and pervasive play and all of these concepts that he had worked up, but the inspiration for all of it was this girl he knew in the ’80s. I know it sounds crazy, but 10,000 people participated in those three years and everyone was saying, “What is the point of this? Where is this money coming from? Who is doing this? What is the point?” It wasn’t selling anything. Often a marketing campaign will use an alternate reality game to push a product, but not here. Jeff wouldn’t necessary consider it that and nor would I. It is a similar type of medium that it could be compared to however.

Filmmaker: I couldn’t help but think of The Game, the Fincher film, when contemplating what this might be.

McCall: Which is also set in the financial district in San Francisco. A lot of inspiration was taken from The Game. I wanted the film to be about the experience, to have the audience experience what the participants experienced, very little contact with the game makers. I wanted it to be a very first-person experience for people and in a way turn the movie into a game. That’s what I wanted to do with it. For Jeff, he was a troubled child in the 80s, really into drugs and petty theft and he got expelled from tons of schools. His parents, being northern Californians, sent him to this bizarre treatment center in Marin. It was a new-agey, healing, pop-psychology retreat. He’s got an appreciation for that kind of stuff, but perhaps it’s a cynic’s view of it. I don’t know myself where he draws the line between seeing that stuff and silly and seeing it as useful and helpful. It’s a mix of both for him.

For me, I felt the story was fascinating and that’s what I wanted to capture. A lot of people I showed this too initially were gaming enthusiasts or alternate reality gameplayers. They thought I should explain more how you set up an alternate reality game, how the systems and workflows work. I’m not a gamer of any kind, I don’t play video games, occasionally I do a puzzle, so the gaming wasn’t what I found interesting, what I found interesting was telling the story in multiple forms of media. That’s what I wanted to relay. Even if it’s almost blasphemous in a way given that I’ve taken a project that tells a story in many different mediums and condensed it down into one, which is a film. The advantage of a movie or a video is that even if it’s just on a screen, a spectator piece of art that you can’t manipulate and experience in a tactile way, it is sight and it is sound, so it’s not entirely blasphemous, but it might be a bit hypocritical to even make a movie about something like this.

http://filmmakermagazine.com/76601-spoo ... 6enOajTZvM
elfismiles

Postby BrandonD » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:18 am

Thanks for the reference, I will definitely be watching this :)
"One measures a circle, beginning anywhere." -Charles Fort
BrandonD

Postby elfismiles » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:15 am

My wife found this TEDx talk by the creator of this ARG / immersive art installation ...

TEDxSoMa - Jeff Hull - Variability & Play in the Civic Realm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsyybmZFmXg
elfismiles

Postby elfismiles » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:52 pm

elfismiles

Postby JackRiddler » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:16 pm

I played it yesterday while engaging in a massive rearrangement of everything in my room. This was many hours, enough for a triple card of bizarre U.S. subcultures, so that the other two documentaries were "Jesus Camp" (2006) -- on the hair-raising indoctrination of youth by Christianists -- and "Let the Fire Burn" (2013) -- on the 1985 bombing of the MOVE house by the Philadelphia police. I'd recommend either before "The Institute."

My question is the same as yours, elfismiles: how was it funded?! That it was all a big scripted show to attract the participation of lonely hipsters in live role-playing and the post-modern soap opera of "Eva" became clear enough. Cost pressures entered into the plot in the latter half, when Hull and his producers decided they needed to wrap it up because they were running out of money. Some of the participants spoke on their experience in the role as hired performers. And yet this inside expose failed to ask where the money came from in the first place, a glaring omission for a project that only spent money and did not visibly make any; the game's appeal depended squarely on the fact that no commercial pitch was forthcoming. As the story is (unreliably) told, Hull did pick up corporate friends who wanted him to design seminars and retreats, so it wasn't a total loss. And so we're left with the inevitable question of whether this was a research and training exercise for some unknown entity's MK-ULTRA successor project.

Anyone know more? I mean, really know? (In other words, spare us the vigilant citizen routine where someone just fills in the blanks with a history of Tavistock or whatever.)

In any case, like other ARGs I've seen covered, it can be very depressing to see all these people who are unhappy, who should be finding ways to create communities of protest against the repressive machine ill-logic and boredom of everyday capitalist-technocratic life, unleashing their emotional energies and creative forces into an ultimately obsessive but nugatory participatory theater that leaves most of them with little more than a sense of depression because the game ends and one returns to a still boring life. And one can even agree with Hull's basic complaint that civilized architecture is full of commands without allowing space for play. The ultimate society-level effect of staging fake protests and an uprising against a fictional amalgam of Scientology and Monsanto seems to be surplus noise, nothing more.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby swindled69 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:19 pm

Saw this a week ago after my friend suggested it. Extremely creepy shit if ya ask me. Reminded me of ARG's and a long ago history on this Board.

High weirdness for sure.
swindled69

Postby Luther Blissett » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:27 am

This just made me angry.
Did Hull really go off to the Landmark Forum at 15, as was pointed out in Elfismiles's thread? How much of that McCall interview is real? What are Landmark's connections to intel? And I presume that Eva is not a real person, correct?

It's awfully dumb if it's just trust-fund art. We kept having to pause this to insult the whimsy of the participants and fake inductees; their clear lack of ever having been in a fight. What a colossal waste of energy, at best.

I have some cursory understanding as to how game theory and socio-engineering could have broader dangerous implications, but I don't understand the actual mechanism by how it would be scaled up to a macro level.

The voicemail about gang stalking was the only part that felt real to me, and it was treated as the most surreal and far-out by Hull et. al.
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Postby justdrew » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:09 pm

well, I'm only 20min in and I like it so far. Aren't folks taking it a bit seriously? What money? I don't see much yet that calls for much of a budget.

Nice to hear Dr. Howel (of sub-genius fame) narrating at least a bit :thumbsup
By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby elfismiles » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:13 am

justdrew » 28 Jul 2014 02:09 wrote:well, I'm only 20min in and I like it so far. Aren't folks taking it a bit seriously? What money? I don't see much yet that calls for much of a budget.

Nice to hear Dr. Howel (of sub-genius fame) narrating at least a bit :thumbsup

I believe the figure of $200,000 is stated in the lecture by the other 2 producers.

I enjoyed the movie and we've watched it again.

But I have the same paradoxical feelings about it others have expressed, like Jack said.
elfismiles

Postby justdrew » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:42 am

I think the main creator of the art is the older guy who played the founder of the institute, it's a shame but I didn't get his real name. The Hull guy being interviewed a lot is also playing a role.

Is the story about Eve told at the end by Hull (but I feel, really the story of the older guy who actually started this (I think)) about a real person?
By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Next

Return to General Discussion