The Institute

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: The Institute

Postby elfismiles » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:00 am

justdrew » 28 Jul 2014 04:42 wrote:I think the main creator of the art is the older guy who played the founder of the institute, it's a shame but I didn't get his real name. The Hull guy being interviewed a lot is also playing a role.

Is the story about Eve told at the end by Hull (but I feel, really the story of the older guy who actually started this (I think)) about a real person?

I've not checked but I believe the older guy you are referring to was just an actor, that Mr. Hull is in fact the "real" creator of this thing.

I doubt the story of Eve is necessarily true... even as potentially embellished "based on a true story" status. I say that because Hull, in his solo talk on the subject, never mentions or alludes to her, despite THAT being his alleged impetus for the whole thing (sorta) as told by him in the docu/whatsit THE INSTITUTE.

The older guy / founder of The Institute is this actor, allegedly:

Arye Bender is an actor, known for Doorways (2011), Nostalgia (2014) and The Small Castle (2013).
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4927429/bio? ... _ov_bio_sm

... vs Mr. Hull ...

Spencer McCall, Uriah Findley, actor Jeff Hull and Mars Elliot
21 January 2013 Photo by Larry Busacca - © 2013 Getty Images - Image courtesy gettyimages.com
http://www.imdb.com/media/rm4054098432/ ... _all_evt_1
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby Luther Blissett » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:09 am

elfismiles » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:00 am wrote:
justdrew » 28 Jul 2014 04:42 wrote:I think the main creator of the art is the older guy who played the founder of the institute, it's a shame but I didn't get his real name. The Hull guy being interviewed a lot is also playing a role.

Is the story about Eve told at the end by Hull (but I feel, really the story of the older guy who actually started this (I think)) about a real person?

I've not checked but I believe the older guy you are referring to was just an actor, that Mr. Hull is in fact the "real" creator of this thing.

I doubt the story of Eve is necessarily true... even as potentially embellished "based on a true story" status. I say that because Hull, in his solo talk on the subject, never mentions or alludes to her, despite THAT being his alleged impetus for the whole thing (sorta) as told by him in the docu/whatsit THE INSTITUTE.

The older guy / founder of The Institute is this actor, allegedly:

Arye Bender is an actor, known for Doorways (2011), Nostalgia (2014) and The Small Castle (2013).
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4927429/bio? ... _ov_bio_sm

... vs Mr. Hull ...

Spencer McCall, Uriah Findley, actor Jeff Hull and Mars Elliot
21 January 2013 Photo by Larry Busacca - © 2013 Getty Images - Image courtesy gettyimages.com
http://www.imdb.com/media/rm4054098432/ ... _all_evt_1

It seems like it would be in poor taste to recreate the fake "found footage" and "found audio" of a younger Eve to serve as part of the game. I have no idea if players bought it at the time.
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby justdrew » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:18 pm

well, I very vaguely remember hearing something once upon a time about little diorama's being made in holes in the stone wall around the coit tower hill.

I was thinking it was the older guy because at the end of the 'seminar' he made an honest comment about being a little scared about how this was all going to work out.

but I don't really 'get' a reason to object to this, of course, the movie doesn't (I think) give a complete blow-by-blow of the 2/3 years it ran for. but it all looks like evocative play that lots of people had a chance to directly participate in.

of course, move the back story from SanFran to LA and I can think clearly of who "eve" could have been, who disappeared via NYNY.
By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby elfismiles » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:32 pm

Situational Design & The Art of Nonchalance
Designers + Geeks presentation by Jeff Hull, Founder at Nonchalance

http://vimeo.com/89968882

Filmed on March 20, 2014 in San Francisco

The artists of Nonchalance create real-world adventures in which participants are whisked down a rabbit hole of urban discovery. Utilizing automated environments, augmented reality, and game design, these immersive narrative-driven experiences are embedded in the civic realm, where the lines between reality and fantasy are obliterated. The creators of Oaklandish and the Jejune Institute (recently the subject of a documentary feature film) will discuss their roots, ideology, and the upcoming release of their newest project.

Jeff Hull began his foray into the public arts in 1979 when he was a child performer at Oakland's Fairyland storybook theme park. Nascent time spent in this wonderland setting inspired much of his life & work since, motivating him to infuse more variability and play into our work-a-day world. With over 20 consecutive “Best of the East Bay” awards to his credit, he is also the founder of inner city playground activities such as the Urban Capture the Flag League, the Lake Merritt Radio Regatta, and the Liberation Drive-In.

http://www.designersandgeeks.com/events ... onchalance

Interview: Jeff Hull, Game Entrepreneur

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTB2OxT2U5Y
elfismiles

Postby elfismiles » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:59 pm

RE: The funding...

Urban Scavenger Hunt - Wall Street Journal
http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB100014240 ... 2085391356

[EDIT: HA! Article by "Stu Woo"!] :thumbsup

Mar 24, 2011 - Mr. Hull, who previously worked with his father, investment banker Blair Hull, used some of the windfall from the sale of the family's financial company to fund the Jejune Institute. He said the organization has had operating costs in the low six figures for its 2½-year existence, including salaries and office ...

See also parts of the first half and a good chunk of the second half of this Matheny interview for more ARGness:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10751&p=559287#p559287
elfismiles

Postby elfismiles » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:16 pm

inzamelen
Kilroy

Re: The Institute Film
mquinnsweeney wrote:
I just got home from the screening of the Institute sort-of-documentary in Oakland. The last frames after the credits say thelatitude.com. I called out the director during the Q&A and he said he didn't put that there and had no idea what it was.

I think it's GAME ON!

I was at a screening of the Institute today, and someone asked the director about the latitude. He denied knowing anything about it or even of hearing about it before.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:27 am
http://forums.unfiction.com/forums/view ... 40c#990395

r/tifu
TIFU by maybe joining a cult

So I know this sounds really crazy. But I think I joined a cult.

I know that’s a really weird thing to say so let me explain. It’s not like a normal cult. It’s not a religion. But there is this underground society called The Latitude Society that my friend asked me to be a part of and I got a membership card and went through the “initiation” process, and it feels like a game (you go through a fake headquarters building that was obviously built just for this thing where you go through a couple weird rooms), but they make you agree to this really crazy contract that essentially says you can’t tell anyone about it and that they’re not responsible for anything that happens to you and that they can use anything you say or do however they want.

It seems like its just a game, but the longer I’ve done it the more it feels like not a game. Like when I started talking about it on the street my friend shhhh’d me and told me that we could get kicked out and that there were like “spies” and stuff, and I know some other people who say they are “more involved” but won’t tell me how, except it’s not like they’re pretending at all, and honestly one of them was really creepy about it.

I feel really weird about posting this because I’m afraid that this really is just a game and I’m ruining it for people by talking about it (I don’t know how that would do anything if its just a game but people keep saying that), but there’s seriously no way to tell because they don’t have a company website or something that explains what the hell is going on. I’m definitely breaking the rules by talking about it, and I’m worried about what they’ll do if they find out, which is why I’m posting it anonymously. Like I honestly feel like when they read this (which I’m pretty sure they will) they are going to come after me in some way, or out me on their forums like they’re kind of already doing to people, which is really freaky and totally not what I signed up for.

Ok, so in case this is NOT a cult and it really is just a stupid game and I’m freaking out for no reason, then there are some SERIOUS SPOILERS in here and if you want to do the game and live in sf then you should not read this. But, if you DON’T life in SF then I’m hoping you can help me figuring out what this is. I know it’s not like a cult in the traditional sense, but it’s creepy and secretive like a cult and has kind of made me scared and turned my friends into assholes, and no one who joins a cult ever actually thinks they are joining a cult until its too late, so here goes:

You join The Latitude Society when one of your friends gives you this white card with a bunch of zeros on it, and then it sends you to this website where you have to agree to the really scary contract that says you can’t talk about it. You sign this agreement and they ask you for all this information like where you live and your email and phone number and then you make an appointment to go to this building on Capp street that has a motorcycle shop in it, but there is this really fancy door on the side that you can only get in in a five minutes window or else you can’t get in and have to wait like a month or something to go back, which seems kind of mean but I guess they don’t want you do be late because other people have appointments too.

I got in the door though (go me), and there is this (really cool, honestly) slide you go down, so now you’re in the basement of the motorcycle shop. You crawl through this weird carpet tunnel kind of like what they have at the Exploratorium, and then you’re in this tiny room. There are books all over the walls, but they’re all the same book and they’re all glued in so you can’t take them out. Except one book, which is completely blank except when you open it this girl starts talking and a cartoon plays and tells you this story about the beginning of the society (there is this island city with a wall people tunnel through. it’s a long story and not important, but the people who tunnel through the wall start the society).

Anyways, it tells you this story and then you crawl on through to this bar. You are in this bar room and there are this photoshopped old pictures where they like reflect one part over the center, except this one big picture of a guy who is clearly the “leader”. There isn’t anything in the room really except some pictures and this gold skull that I think someone just thought was cool, but you can pick up this phone with one button that tells you where to go next. So then you go up some stairs, and you’re outside!

They already have your phone number (you give it to them when you sign the contract) and they start calling you and telling you to go places, but they pretty much just send you around the block once and you end up in this bar called The Sycamore. You get a coin there from the bartender that has a cat skeleton on it and they send you you go to this other weird building and go up some stairs into this room that has nothing but old arcade games in it (which is also pretty cool). All the games have the symbol for the society on it and a slot that just fits the cat coin. I put mine in and when I died this pixel monster appeared on the screen (there is a whole thing about monsters in the game. they look kind of like Frank from Donnie Darko and I don’t know what they’re for but on your walk around the block they like have a guy in a monster suit standing in a window and he waves at you). Anyways so I died in Tempest and then there is a monster on the screen. Honestly, I have no idea what he said. He was hard to understand. I don’t really know what was going on with it, but once he was done I got this call talking about my “flux”, which is this thing you have in the game that is kind of like mana, but so far it hasn’t mean anything.

After that call the initiation thing is pretty much over. You can keep playing games, but at some point the next person is going to come in too. I think the girl who came in after me thought I was part of the game or something and it was really awkward so I just left.

But so then (sorry this is so long!) you go back home and log back onto the website and the leader guy from the photo in the bar in the basement is in this video you can watch. And he talks to you about how he’s really glad you joined the cult and how it’s going to be great. The production wasn’t very good and he didn’t really say much and at the end of the video he like goes on a trip in a boat. I don’t know if he’s supposed to back yet but not much has happened while he’s gone.

So from then on you just wait. You can log onto the website and there is a forum and a “marketplace” where you can buy more cat coins and some other stuff. They have sashes and merit badges and a tshirt that says their catchphrase ABSOLUTE DISCRETION (that no offense makes no sense if you put it on a tshirt) and cards you can give to other people, which is how my friend got me mine.

There was some stuff on the forms but it seems like like it’s just other people in the society doing things like arranging brunches with one another, and also some kind of sketchy events people do (I think you have to be pretty weird to be invited to the cult game). There is a calendar of “official” events that was totally empty when I first started, but now I guess sometimes you can go to the basement and hang out with other people. But then one of my friends told me that they organized some animal-themed hike you could go on in the middle of the night, but they also said it was pretty sketchy and like not actually organized by the people.

I asked my friend what was going on but they didn’t know either. Someone else has given THEM a card (like amway) but apparently their friend said that they latitude people are actually a company that makes weird shit like this and before this they made this other thing called the Jejune Institute (it took us awhile to figure out how to spell that.) I looked it up and they made a documentary about it. (like the people who made the Jejune thing also made the documentary) and the guy who runs the company is named Jeff Hull. We played Google detectives for awhile and found out he’s part of some super rich politics family that used to have a trading company, which I guess makes sense because how can you afford something like this?

But this is why I’m asking because that just seems super weird. Like I was hoping this was part of Ingress or something or like a marketing campaign for a video game, but I think it’s actually just some weird rich dude whose made this like fake cult thing and I don’t know how long it’s been going on. Like, what if this is like a the truman show and all my friends are already part of it and I’m failing a test right now? Or like, what if this is like a scientology thing where next time you go to the bar they make you take one of those “personality tests”. I keep waiting for them to ask me for money but they haven’t and honestly that’s even more weird.

The reason I’m really posting though is that I know it’s not a real cult but it IS still a secret society that like knows where you live and your phone number and stuff and makes you sign this weird contract and does sketchy stuff that you’re not supposed to talk about and everyone in it seems really obsessed with keeping it a secret and are assholes to you if you don't, and, like, isn’t that the part of cults that is bad? Like usually the religion part is totally fine and its the weird conspiracy shit that ends up going wrong for people. And like, it seems just like a cult where instead of pretending to be a religion they’re pretending to be a game. So I’m asking if you think this is something I shouldn’t be doing or in case anyone knows wtf is up and also if like this actually is a cult that someone will be able to find the culprits when I go missing or something. I’m also really worried that this is actually just like, nothing, and I’m just totally overreacting and just part of a fake secret society where people don’t do anything but go to brunch with one another and talk about how great they are for being part of the society, but that seems really stupid and I don’t understand why people would be getting so weird about it unless something else is going on.

Thank you for your help with this. I’m sorry this post is so long and also kind of feel bad for writing about it because I’m not supposed to and I don’t want to ruin it for everyone, but its really freaking me out and I’d really appreciate some advise on what I should do. Especially if you’ve ever been in a real cult I’d love to know if this is something I should be worried about or if it really is just a game. Thanks.

320d, 10h

https://m.reddit.com/r/tifu/comments/2t ... ng_a_cult/

‘We Value Experience’: Can a Secret Society Become a Business?
Jeff Hull’s Latitude Society explores the possibilities of art, intimacy, experience, and membership.
This story was funded by Longreads Members
Join and help support great storytelling
Rick Paulas | Longreads | September 2015 | 31 minutes (7,584 words)
Photo by Spencer McCall
“As we all know,” Blair started. “The Latitude is a very elaborate entrance.”

The audience laughed and murmured, recalling the first half-hour of that night that included a reading of the Society’s origin narrative (“The Fable”) by one of the more boisterous Elders. A few performed a whistle that caused other members to respond in turn, giving the cavernous room a soundtrack of echoing high-pitched cacophony. Blair waited for the commotion to flutter away.

“Is it a social club? Is it an entertainment? Is it a secret society? Is it a pyramid scheme, a Ponzi scheme, a cult? Is it a game?” he said. “If you believe it is a game, then it is a game with very high stakes.”

For the Q&A’s initial twenty minutes, the atmosphere was genial and positive. Questions were answered about where long-missing leaders had gone (“I’ve been on a boat”), why membership dues were needed (“We need to hit our bills”), and what the future of the Society looked like (“This is bigger than The Bay”). But there was a tension in the air that seethed and thickened with every passing minute.

“Can I ask a question!” the man in glasses shouted, out of turn.

Blair set his microphone down. The Elders Council turned to the interruptor. “Can we have a space, and I ask this lovingly—I would pay, I love the discussion—but can we agree to have a space where things are not recorded?” asked the man. He mentioned Edward Snowden and the NSA surveillance program, taped events the group had held in hidden rooms in secret places throughout the Bay, hinted at a documentary that captured the precursor of what eventually became The Latitude. “At least, ask before it’s recorded,” he concluded.
Much more here:
http://blog.longreads.com/2015/09/24/we ... -business/
elfismiles

Postby tapitsbo » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:08 pm

FWIW, anyone who was part of the 2000s-era Canadian music messageboard Stillepost might be aware that "urban" ARG's were being played there, probably on a much smaller scale than this. Certain members of the forum (not me) seemed to be getting gangstalked by other members for reasons that were never clear to me. Other members of the forum included a guy working on a brain-to-computer interface that was supposed to be mass-marketed at any moment (this was like 7 years ago - these things definitely aren't the norm yet). He ended up getting funding from an In-Q-Tel sounding venture capital firm.

I actually ended up moving to Toronto and living with somebody from that board whose mother was initiated into Vajrayana Buddhism in Tibet. He was a survivor of some serious, scary abuse in public schools in the Yukon (being given electroshock in a soundproof glass cage) and to this day his attempts to take up his case with the government have been fruitless.

I'm starting to see some RI/Stillepost crossover/parallels.
tapitsbo

Postby PufPuf93 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:09 pm

I have not watched The Institute so do not know how Eva Lucien was portrayed but did read this thread and did some internet research of my own today.

Eva Lucien was a real person. Her diaries have been published. I lived in Berkeley intermittently from 1973 to 1979 and from 1985 to 1987 for university at Cal and had never heard of the young woman. Spent lots of time in the rock and role clubs of Berkeley and San Francisco and was more art oriented/interested than most (probably a truism for those that spend much time at RI). There is other biographical material on Eva to be found on the internet (expelled from schools, prominent parents).

http://www.lulu.com/shop/evalyn-lucien/ ... 58421.html

The Journal of Evalyn Lucien

By Evalyn Lucien

Hardcover, 292 Pages

Price: $125.00

Ms Evalyn Lucien was last seen near Coit Tower in San Francisco on the evening of October 17, 1988. This full color book is a loyal reproduction of her personal journal from the years leading up to her sudden disappearance.

As one may surmise from the contents of this book, Eva was a uniquely talented individual with a singular vision of the world around her. Her creative works included innovative music, street art, independent zines, and a series of elaborate stunts that earned her local notoriety and a cult following of admirers and imitators.

Twenty years after her disappearance this journal and a number of other materials began to surface through a network of her former friends and associates. Growing interest in her life and the mysteries surrounding it have sparked a collaborative project to reconstruct the events leading up to her disappearance.
PufPuf93

Postby identity » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:44 pm

tapitsbo » Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:08 pm wrote:He was a survivor of some serious, scary abuse in public schools in the Yukon (being given electroshock in a soundproof glass cage) and to this day his attempts to take up his case with the government have been fruitless.

:shock:
We should never forget Galileo being put before the Inquisition.
It would be even worse if we allowed scientific orthodoxy to become the Inquisition.

Richard Smith, Editor in Chief of the British Medical Journal 1991-2004,
in a published letter to Nature
identity

Postby elfismiles » Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:57 pm

tapitsbo » 13 Dec 2015 01:08 wrote:FWIW, anyone who was part of the 2000s-era Canadian music messageboard Stillepost might be aware that "urban" ARG's were being played there, probably on a much smaller scale than this. Certain members of the forum (not me) seemed to be getting gangstalked by other members for reasons that were never clear to me. Other members of the forum included a guy working on a brain-to-computer interface that was supposed to be mass-marketed at any moment (this was like 7 years ago - these things definitely aren't the norm yet). He ended up getting funding from an In-Q-Tel sounding venture capital firm.

I actually ended up moving to Toronto and living with somebody from that board whose mother was initiated into Vajrayana Buddhism in Tibet. He was a survivor of some serious, scary abuse in public schools in the Yukon (being given electroshock in a soundproof glass cage) and to this day his attempts to take up his case with the government have been fruitless.

Wow! Lots to process there. And yeah, we've had a few discussions here about the overlaps tween, gang-stalking, cyber-stalking, organized-trolling, ARGish overtones... shades of the:

Indian Lake Project, Photos of Exps. on kids
Post by Project Willow » 27 Oct 2006
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8950

Institutional Abuse Locations
by elfismiles » 21 Oct 2014
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=38493

Postscript: A Secret Society Shuts Its Doors
What happened inside the Latitude Society? In September, we featured a Longreads Original by Rick Paulas, “‘We Value Experience,’” which told the story of artist/entrepreneur Jeff Hull and his group’s attempts to build a sustainable “secret society” in the Bay Area. Paulas has shared the following postscript on what happened after his story about the group went public.
http://blog.longreads.com/2015/10/20/po ... its-doors/
elfismiles

Postby elfismiles » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:07 pm

I'm not so convinced... I've not done enough digging to verify said named persons existence. My impression was that name is a character's from THE INSTITUTE's fictional narrative that Jeff Hull says was INSPIRED by someone real in his life but I don't think that is necessarily even true.

The diaries were published as part of the ARGish experiential Jejune Institute "thing" ... AFAIK

PufPuf93 » 13 Dec 2015 02:09 wrote:I have not watched The Institute so do not know how Eva Lucien was portrayed but did read this thread and did some internet research of my own today.

Eva Lucien was a real person. Her diaries have been published. I lived in Berkeley intermittently from 1973 to 1979 and from 1985 to 1987 for university at Cal and had never heard of the young woman. Spent lots of time in the rock and role clubs of Berkeley and San Francisco and was more art oriented/interested than most (probably a truism for those that spend much time at RI). There is other biographical material on Eva to be found on the internet (expelled from schools, prominent parents).
elfismiles

Postby elfismiles » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:08 pm

elfismiles » 13 Dec 2015 18:57 wrote:Postscript: A Secret Society Shuts Its Doors
What happened inside the Latitude Society? In September, we featured a Longreads Original by Rick Paulas, “‘We Value Experience,’” which told the story of artist/entrepreneur Jeff Hull and his group’s attempts to build a sustainable “secret society” in the Bay Area. Paulas has shared the following postscript on what happened after his story about the group went public.

Epilogue from The San Francisco House
https://thelatitude.com/book/1
https://thelatitude.com/recap_book1
https://thelatitude.com/recap_book2
elfismiles

Postby tapitsbo » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:53 pm

elfismiles » Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:57 pm wrote:
tapitsbo » 13 Dec 2015 01:08 wrote:FWIW, anyone who was part of the 2000s-era Canadian music messageboard Stillepost might be aware that "urban" ARG's were being played there, probably on a much smaller scale than this. Certain members of the forum (not me) seemed to be getting gangstalked by other members for reasons that were never clear to me. Other members of the forum included a guy working on a brain-to-computer interface that was supposed to be mass-marketed at any moment (this was like 7 years ago - these things definitely aren't the norm yet). He ended up getting funding from an In-Q-Tel sounding venture capital firm.

Wow! Lots to process there. And yeah, we've had a few discussions here about the overlaps tween, gang-stalking, cyber-stalking, organized-trolling, ARGish overtones... shades of the:

Indian Lake Project, Photos of Exps. on kids
Post by Project Willow » 27 Oct 2006
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8950

Institutional Abuse Locations
by elfismiles » 21 Oct 2014
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=38493

Postscript: A Secret Society Shuts Its Doors

Yeah, I can't really develop that dump of "raw experience" much further, since I already pretty much wrote down all I was able to make sense of

An area that would yield a lot of deep strangeness, I'd think, would be infiltration of such institutions as youth homeless shelters (I fully support the mission of these altruistic institutions, I simply note they are a nexus of a lot of curious activity couched in a context of asymmetrical power relationships.)
tapitsbo

Previous

Return to General Discussion