The build-up to war on Russia

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: The build-up to war on Russia

Postby MacCruiskeen » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:46 am

Plumbing new depths - this is the unsigned Leader in the fucking Economist, today:

Russia
The threat from Russia
How to contain Vladimir Putin’s deadly, dysfunctional empire

Oct 22nd 2016 |

[...]

Every week Vladimir Putin, Russia’s president, finds new ways to scare the world. ...

http://www.economist.com/news/leaders/2 ... fromrussia
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby MacCruiskeen » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:42 am

Coleen Rowley, Oct 20:

“Clinton is engaging in incredibly dangerous brinkmanship with a nuclear superpower but at the same time, trying to lull the public into complacency about the danger she intends to place them in. Last night, she again pledged she would, after being elected, institute a ‘no-fly zone’ and ‘safe zones’ over Syria but she evaded answering the debate moderator’s direct question as to whether she would give the order to shoot down Russian aircraft over Syria. Her evasive response was directly at odds with the recent assessment of General Dunford, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff in testimony to Congress (as well as earlier assessments from former Chief Martin Dempsey and other top generals) that establishing a ‘no-fly zone’ would almost certainly mean war with Syria (and Russia).

“In addition, Clinton mischaracterized what the intelligence agencies are saying about the emails to/from her campaign chief of staff, John Podesta, that are being put out by WikiLeaks. She claimed they have come from ‘the highest levels of the Russian government, clearly, from Putin himself, in an effort, as 17 of our intelligence agencies have confirmed, to influence our election.’

“In fact, a carefully crafted statement from the Office of the Director of National Intelligence (James Clapper) was far less definitive, stating: ‘The recent disclosures … are consistent with the methods and motivations of Russian-directed efforts.’ It’s also worth noting that this was not the conclusion of a National Intelligence Estimate, merely a statement from the ODNI and Department of Homeland Security.”

http://www.accuracy.org/release/55641/
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby tron » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:50 am

you know the flotilla that just went through the german/french english channel? whats the chances they have nuclear cruise missiles on board?
tron

Postby MacCruiskeen » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:10 pm

no idea, tron. haven't followed the story. what's the exact legal situation there? a russian flotilla can hardly have gone through the channel without he consent of uk and france. i.e. it's not a "warlike act".just routine.

on edit - from the bbc

damn, edit again: it's from 2014:

A squadron of Russian warships has passed through the English Channel in what the Royal Navy described as a "routine" movement. Nato dismissed reports by Russian media saying the flotilla was there to conduct military exercises. ... the UK Royal Navy and the French Navy say "it's not unusual" to have Russian warships transiting through the Channel. It's the route they often choose to make their way to the Mediterranean. The Royal Navy was aware of this transit and sent HMS Tyne to monitor.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-30248305

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby 0_0 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:56 pm

Supposedly the Russian aircraft carrier was practicing bombing raids on Scotland.

Russia's flagship Admiral Kuznetsov and seven additional vessels will pass the UK on their voyage to the war-torn country as it prepares to bomb rebel forces in Aleppo.

The fleet is expected to carry out practice bombing north of Scotland before potentially sailing down the English Channel - a mile off the coast of Britain.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ssion.html

And from may this year:

Russian President Vladimir Putin has been urged to drop a NUCLEAR BOMB on an island off the coast off Scotland to prove Russia means business to the rest of the world.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/vl ... ar-8059329
playmobil of the gods
0_0

Postby 82_28 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:24 pm

Could you imagine Russian warships coming anywhere near American shores? We would indeed have this world war that is being whispered about. Thinking about it nukes would have to be used. I am no war analyst of any sort, but I cannot see a hot war on either continent without nukes. It could happen but "I doubt(?)" it will.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby MacCruiskeen » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:29 pm

0_0 wrote: Supposedly the Russian aircraft carrier was practicing bombing raids on Scotland.

oh please... :lol: read the article stupid daily mail screed closely. (and rest assured: i'll hear about it pdq if scotland is ever bombed by the russkies)

2. the mirror is quoting zhirinovsky, a far-right crazy.

the yellow press has to sell papers. warmongering sells.

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby MacCruiskeen » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:36 pm

christ, they're really catapulting the propaganda. it's just relentless now

Adam H. Johnson ‏@adamjohnsonNYC

The fact that Obama, who's bombed eight countries in as many years, will look like Medea Benjamin in six months is scary

Barry Eisler ‏@barryeisler

This could be a poster for a horror movie. But it’s just the sane, sober, centrist @TheEconomist, doing what they do best

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby Novem5er » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:59 pm

I made a "Moose and Squirrel" joke on a friend's Facebook post earlier today (concerning the possibility/lie of Russian hackers).

I have now seen three more references to Rocky & Bullwinkle since then. It's disconcerting.
Novem5er

Postby MacCruiskeen » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:11 pm

Gordon White of Rune Soup, whom I like a lot*, was sounding very worried yesterday in his newsletter, and he's no hysteric.

*Thanks, WR, for the recommendation.

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby norton ash » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:50 pm

Novem5er » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:59 pm wrote:I made a "Moose and Squirrel" joke on a friend's Facebook post earlier today (concerning the possibility/lie of Russian hackers).

I have now seen three more references to Rocky & Bullwinkle since then. It's disconcerting.

Boris and Natasha following orders from Fearless Leader to trump internets and bomb Shetland Ponies.
Zen horse
norton ash

Postby Grizzly » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:58 pm

“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby tron » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:36 pm

hey mac, where can i read the runesoup newsletter

cheers man
tron

Postby PufPuf93 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:54 pm

tron » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:36 pm wrote:hey mac, where can i read the runesoup newsletter

cheers man

Not Mac and not the newsletter (as one must subscribe) but probably the content:

http://runesoup.com/

Lots of good stuff.
PufPuf93

Postby SonicG » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:57 pm

Should probably go in the Japan war in Asia thread but it is all blurring together recently, innit?
If you haven't seen anything about Duterte's "pivot" to Russian and China, he is backing off a bit but still a rather significant declaration...

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/10/21/asia/ ... index.html
Philippines not really severing ties with US, Duterte says

(This quote was from a while back with the SOB interpreted as being directed at Obama)
"a poiminint tidal wave in a notion of dynamite"
SonicG

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion