R.I. Book Group?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: R.I. Book Group?

Postby Elvis » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:56 pm

That's two of us, and I do hope you and any others will share your thoughts about it.
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby cptmarginal » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:49 pm

Just from the introduction, I can see why (extremely judgmental autodidact) Nassim Taleb gives prominent credit to Popper in his books.

Karl Popper wrote:Is it within the power of any social science to make such sweeping historical prophecies ? Can we expect to get more than the irresponsible reply of the soothsayer if we ask a man what the future has in store for mankind?

This is a question of the method of the social sciences. It is clearly more fundamental than any debate on any particular argument offered in support of any historical prophecy.

A careful examination of this question has led me to the conviction that such sweeping historical prophecies are entirely beyond the scope of scientific method. The future depends on ourselves, and we do not depend on any historical necessity. There are, however, influential social philosophies which hold the opposite view.
The new way of thinking is precisely delineated by what it is not.
cptmarginal

Postby BrandonD » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:33 am

The book sounds very interesting, I'll be buying it as well
"One measures a circle, beginning anywhere." -Charles Fort
BrandonD

Postby Sounder » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:43 am

Or read it at the link that cptmarginal thoughtfully provided. I''m on pg. 90, and find it to be a most wonderful book.

Heck, it's a short book, you can read it in the time it would take to go buy it.
All these things will continue as long as coercion remains a central element of our mentality.
Sounder

Postby BrandonD » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:39 pm

Sounder » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:43 am wrote:

Or read it at the link that cptmarginal thoughtfully provided. I''m on pg. 90, and find it to be a most wonderful book.

Heck, it's a short book, you can read it in the time it would take to go buy it.

Ah thank you, I must have missed that link.
"One measures a circle, beginning anywhere." -Charles Fort
BrandonD

Previous

Return to General Discussion