R.I. Book Group?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

R.I. Book Group?

Postby brekin » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:18 pm

Anyone interested in a R.I. Book Group?

I was thinking about some of the books mentioned lately and from the thread called, Must Read Books or something similar, and thought since many on here read the same or related books it might be worthwhile to select a book to read ahead of time and then discuss it, in a book group format.

My thoughts were book group members pick an old or new seminal R.I. related themed book. (People nominate/pitch books, we vote, go with the most voted.) Something that hopefully is more than one event specific and would be of value as a theoretical resource when discussing future selected books or events here on R.I. in general.

Once the book is selected, we read a number of preselected chapters over a week and then chime in with thoughts, beefs, takes, etc on a certain day for a number for days. Then to the next chapter(s), repeat until done. Ideally, those who want to join the book group stick with it even when a book may not completely strike their fancy. I'm thinking a R.I. book group would be good to both dial down and tackle a specific topic for an extended length of time in depth for analysis, while also broadening horizons for those who may only be interested generally in the same handful of RI topics they've been exposed to.

Thoughts? Interested? Suggestions?

If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
I hang onto my prejudices, they are the testicles of my mind. Eric Hoffer
brekin

Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: R.I. Book Group?

Postby Hammer of Los » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:25 pm

There was some interest in a book on dream yoga or astral travel or somesuch recently.

I don't know if that's the sort of thing you or the members would like brekin.
Hammer of Los

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby redsock » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:45 pm

I like this idea a lot, but I would make sure to allot enough time to explore the reading before the next section is due to be read.

One week to dig into a section of a book does not seem adequate.
redsock

Postby Elvis » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:31 pm

I am interested, depending on the books selected, I might be inclined to skip some.

As my meat-space friends know all too well, I do love to talk about the books I'm reading. :megaphone:
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby brekin » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:01 pm

Hammer of Los wrote:...
There was some interest in a book on dream yoga or astral travel or somesuch recently.

That is the sort of thing we could do. I'd be down with such material. For me, really it isn't so much the topic, but the book. If there is a mind blowing book on dream yoga that would be worth studying and discussing then let's dig in.

redsock wrote:I like this idea a lot, but I would make sure to allot enough time to explore the reading before the next section is due to be read.
One week to dig into a section of a book does not seem adequate.

Agreed. I say a week, though, because in my experience (offline group wise) anything longer and things start to become too episodic and momentum fizzles. I do think that people can continually post though for the specific sections after the initial window. Also, I'm open for different time frames because I've recognized I can be a little too aggressive/unrealistic schedule wise with certain online projects.

Elvis wrote:I am interested, depending on the books selected, I might be inclined to skip some.
As my meat-space friends know all too well, I do love to talk about the books I'm reading. :megaphone:

Cool. Looking forward to you suggestions when we start that process.
If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
brekin

Postby BrandonD » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:17 am

brekin » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:18 pm wrote:Anyone interested in a R.I. Book Group?

I was thinking about some of the books mentioned lately and from the thread called, Must Read Books or something similar, and thought since many on here read the same or related books it might be worthwhile to select a book to read ahead of time and then discuss it, in a book group format.

My thoughts were book group members pick an old or new seminal R.I. related themed book. (People nominate/pitch books, we vote, go with the most voted.) Something that hopefully is more than one event specific and would be of value as a theoretical resource when discussing future selected books or events here on R.I. in general.

Once the book is selected, we read a number of preselected chapters over a week and then chime in with thoughts, beefs, takes, etc on a certain day for a number for days. Then to the next chapter(s), repeat until done. Ideally, those who want to join the book group stick with it even when a book may not completely strike their fancy. I'm thinking a R.I. book group would be good to both dial down and tackle a specific topic for an extended length of time in depth for analysis, while also broadening horizons for those who may only be interested generally in the same handful of RI topics they've been exposed to.

Thoughts? Interested? Suggestions?

Love this idea! I'm on board.
"One measures a circle, beginning anywhere." -Charles Fort
BrandonD

Postby operator kos » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:33 pm

brekin » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:18 pm wrote:Anyone interested in a R.I. Book Group?

I was thinking about some of the books mentioned lately and from the thread called, Must Read Books or something similar,

Were you thinking of this one: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=33017

Also, yes. Although I am about to start up a few community college classes in the Fall.

Currently making my way through the second volume of the Sinister Forces trilogy (and also started going through my old S.A.S. Wilderness Survival Handbook, which may or may not be related).
operator kos

Postby 82_28 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:58 pm

I'm down, just that time and "logistics" may be difficult as far as the book chosen itself. Getting your hands on the book itself without having to order from amazoom.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby elfismiles » Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:34 pm

Hammer of Los » 08 Aug 2014 21:25 wrote:...

This was attempted before ... I got half-way through the book, just picked the book up again off my shelf and posted the link in this other thread on Lucid Dreaming just started by BrandonD...

Book Club: Active Dreaming by R. Moss
by Occult Means Hidden » 02 Oct 2011 11:41 in Book Forum
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=33259

Lucid Dreaming - from scratch
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=38346
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby Jerky » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:08 pm

Count me in.

Jerky
Jerky

Postby elfismiles » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:10 pm

And I'm definitely interested but participation level may very due to time and book interest. :thumbsup
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby Elvis » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:35 pm

Quick question for RI and the Book Group:

Is KGB: The Inside Story of Its Foreign Operations from Lenin to Gorbachev, by Christopher Andrew and Oleg Gordievsky, worth reading (it's 800 pages)? Amazon reviews say yes and no, some citing missing or outdated (1992) info.

It's probably not a good selection for Book Group but it's been on my shelf for years and last night I was looking for a book to start.

Thanks in advance for any advice on whether or not to read it.
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby MayDay » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:53 pm

I'm in. Let's do this!
MayDay

Postby brekin » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:42 pm

Great, definitely sounds like we have enough people to fill the van with to get going. I think next step is book selection. I suggest we pitch books over the next 3-4 days then vote. The book selected will determine I think how much we will be able to break up and read weekly. Again, I think we should aim for something a little more than one trick pony. I was excited about McGowan's Weird Scenes Inside the Canyon: Laurel Canyon, Covert Ops & the Dark Heart of the Hippie Dream coming out and was curious how he would pull it all together in the end. Alas, in my opinion I feel like he didn't and it was just too episodic and coy to be significant enough to recommend.

Also, I suggest we should have a facilitator per book just to keep the schedule happening. I'll be happy to the first book but think it should be rotating after that. Looking forward to people's selections!
brekin

Postby BrandonD » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:16 am

brekin » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:42 pm wrote:Great, definitely sounds like we have enough people to fill the van with to get going. I think next step is book selection. I suggest we pitch books over the next 3-4 days then vote. The book selected will determine I think how much we will be able to break up and read weekly. Again, I think we should aim for something a little more than one trick pony. I was excited about McGowan's Weird Scenes Inside the Canyon: Laurel Canyon, Covert Ops & the Dark Heart of the Hippie Dream coming out and was curious how he would pull it all together in the end. Alas, in my opinion I feel like he didn't and it was just too episodic and coy to be significant enough to recommend.

Also, I suggest we should have a facilitator per book just to keep the schedule happening. I'll be happy to the first book but think it should be rotating after that. Looking forward to people's selections!

I just received a book for my birthday that I'm really looking forward to: "The Exegesis of Philip K Dick", so I'll go ahead and throw that one out there as a possibility since I'll be reading it anyway.
"One measures a circle, beginning anywhere." -Charles Fort
BrandonD

Next

Return to General Discussion