Obeservations on a new generation's new normal

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Obeservations on a new generation's new normal

Postby BrandonD » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:25 am

MayDay » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:28 pm wrote:I caught a plane out of DIA last fall- with only a long expired texas id to prove my legitimacy. You probably can't imagine the level of bs I went through before DHS/ TSA finally let me past the security checkpoint. I was informed that I would not be allowed to fly again if I tried to board without a valid id, this after an hour or so of intense interrogation by a tsa agent who ended the interview by handing me a ridiculous Christian tract, the sort my mom made me hand out on the beach in Ocean City Md (or sinner city, as she called it) when I was a child. How embarrassing this would have been if I were the sort to take myself seriously! I actually found the whole thing somewhat amusing, although my friends back home wanted me to report the guy. Fact is, he was genuinely looking out for my spiritual well-being, however misguided his attempts may have been. Of topic, but somewhat related to the op, I hope. I finally got a chance to check out the creepy murals in person, which was kinda cool.

I played a show in Denver recently and showed up to the airport early specifically so I could find the murals. They're definitely all still there in their glorious creepiness.
"One measures a circle, beginning anywhere." -Charles Fort
BrandonD

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Luther Blissett » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:52 pm

Is this thread presupposing that the youngest generation today will accept dystopia?

The opposite will be and already is true.
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Postby 82_28 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:54 pm

It isn't presupposing anything. It is a statement of observation. However, if the term 'dystopia' is to be used, I will roll with that because I tend to think it is inevitable. Place the little changes of when you were a little kid and apply those changes to kids today. I, at least lived on the tip of the end of the previous era -- devoid of perpetual security. Now it is built in.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby 82_28 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:57 pm

See this. I also happened to start it as well. Which means nothing, but it came to mind.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=38207
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby coffin_dodger » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:26 pm

Luther Blissett wrote:Is this thread presupposing that the youngest generation today will accept dystopia?

The opposite will be and already is true.

I thinks it's demonstrating rather than presupposing.

C'mon Luther - fill me with hope. Tell me of this youngest generation that are going to turn everything upside down - and how they are achieving it. That socially observable time is about to reboot in a big way. That stagnation is about to give way to forward.
coffin_dodger

Blog: View Blog (14)

Postby Luther Blissett » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:59 am

I see it more as a barely-contained simmering pot about to boil over.

Younger generations today may know nothing but militarized police, checkpoints, sonic weapons and microchips but they possess enough information to know what a dystopia is and to rebel against elements of society that are anathema to nature. They've come up in a time where widespread occupations of public space, hacking, leaking, whistleblowing, and their Egyptian Skype buddies staging revolutions are the vastly more impressive and inspiring new normal than the measures which oppress them. My generation didn't have that, and as far as I'm aware the generation before didn't have anything closely resembling it either. My stepdaughter organized one in a series of large-scale protests against the corrupt school district at the age of 14. I didn't organize any protests at 14; the depth of my activism was soft environmentalism via the Surfrider Foundation and reclamation of public space for skateboarders and self-centered, privileged revolt against cops.

I've mentioned this before but it's apt here too: the younger generation of leftists coming up from behind has, on average, a vastly superior, more adept, and deeper understanding of marxist philosophies and the contextual knowledge of how to apply them to revolution (or at least, what seems to me to be the foundations preparing for explicitly that). When I was a young leftist, my fellow young leftists, when I could find them and communicate with them pre-internet, could discuss anarchism and revolution only in the most naive, elementary terms, and it was enough to write passing, maybe even sometimes excellent college essays. It's unimaginable to me what it must be like to be granted access to historical context, global perspectives, tools of revolt, philosophy and voice as a poor and angry child.

The global brain theory can be perfectly applicable to the soft sciences, and some of the things that can be important to them, as well. That can explain the means for how class struggle becomes an emergent issue. It's not some lost gnosis that inequality is worsening. It's not like our parents' generation has hidden it from children.

There's a reason why their media - The Hunger Games, Snowpiercer, David Comes to Life, Wall-E, The Purge, Radiohead, Divergent, The Giver - and resurgent interest in vintage cyberpunk focuses on both violent and non-violent revolt against corporate-controlled dystopian visions of the future or near-present. In much older science fiction, the machinations that led to societal collapse or complete control were often obscured or ambiguous. There is now a marked change, capitalism and elite power tend to be revealed either from the outset or at the conclusion as a driving catalyst for negative change. Art and action created by young people today operates along similar lines - take aim at the rich kids, get them in the crosshairs, and take them down.

Why is this important? I think that denying that all this is happening to the younger generations, and that they are probably fond of their oppression, is repressive.
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Postby coffin_dodger » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:23 pm

Thank you for that considered and interesting reply, Luther. Not so much hope required, more patience. Cheers.
coffin_dodger

Blog: View Blog (14)

Postby Luther Blissett » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:26 pm

coffin_dodger » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:23 am wrote:Thank you for that considered and interesting reply, Luther. Not so much hope required, more patience. Cheers.

We can help, and I think are. The revolution could have already started in Ferguson for all we know.
Luther Blissett

Postby NeonLX » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:55 pm

Thanks. I really needed a ray of hope today. The previous 3 posts have done just that.

Seriously. Thanks.
America is a fucked society because there is no room for essential human dignity. Its all about what you have, not who you are.--Joe Hillshoist
NeonLX

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby MayDay » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:35 am

Luther Blissett » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:26 pm wrote:
coffin_dodger » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:23 am wrote:Thank you for that considered and interesting reply, Luther. Not so much hope required, more patience. Cheers.

We can help, and I think are. The revolution could have already started in Ferguson for all we know.

Whisper words of wisdom, Let It Be!
MayDay

Postby 8bitagent » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:41 pm

Luther Blissett » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:59 am wrote:I see it more as a barely-contained simmering pot about to boil over.

Younger generations today may know nothing but militarized police, checkpoints, sonic weapons and microchips but they possess enough information to know what a dystopia is and to rebel against elements of society that are anathema to nature. They've come up in a time where widespread occupations of public space, hacking, leaking, whistleblowing, and their Egyptian Skype buddies staging revolutions are the vastly more impressive and inspiring new normal than the measures which oppress them. My generation didn't have that, and as far as I'm aware the generation before didn't have anything closely resembling it either. My stepdaughter organized one in a series of large-scale protests against the corrupt school district at the age of 14. I didn't organize any protests at 14; the depth of my activism was soft environmentalism via the Surfrider Foundation and reclamation of public space for skateboarders and self-centered, privileged revolt against cops.

I've mentioned this before but it's apt here too: the younger generation of leftists coming up from behind has, on average, a vastly superior, more adept, and deeper understanding of marxist philosophies and the contextual knowledge of how to apply them to revolution (or at least, what seems to me to be the foundations preparing for explicitly that). When I was a young leftist, my fellow young leftists, when I could find them and communicate with them pre-internet, could discuss anarchism and revolution only in the most naive, elementary terms, and it was enough to write passing, maybe even sometimes excellent college essays. It's unimaginable to me what it must be like to be granted access to historical context, global perspectives, tools of revolt, philosophy and voice as a poor and angry child.

The global brain theory can be perfectly applicable to the soft sciences, and some of the things that can be important to them, as well. That can explain the means for how class struggle becomes an emergent issue. It's not some lost gnosis that inequality is worsening. It's not like our parents' generation has hidden it from children.

There's a reason why their media - The Hunger Games, Snowpiercer, David Comes to Life, Wall-E, The Purge, Radiohead, Divergent, The Giver - and resurgent interest in vintage cyberpunk focuses on both violent and non-violent revolt against corporate-controlled dystopian visions of the future or near-present. In much older science fiction, the machinations that led to societal collapse or complete control were often obscured or ambiguous. There is now a marked change, capitalism and elite power tend to be revealed either from the outset or at the conclusion as a driving catalyst for negative change. Art and action created by young people today operates along similar lines - take aim at the rich kids, get them in the crosshairs, and take them down.

Why is this important? I think that denying that all this is happening to the younger generations, and that they are probably fond of their oppression, is repressive.

1. Yeah, social media...as much as I've made a lot of disparaging remarks about the social media age and millennials, social media today(facebook, twitter, etc) has FUELED the much more progressive mindset of today and forced old ways of thinking into retreat(tho sadly, to become more crazy...like with the Tea Party) NO WAY something like the Afghan or Iraq invasion could happen now with social media.

2. I have hope. This is a good article about Generation Z. http://www.macleans.ca/society/life/get ... eration-z/

3. Yeah! I noticed that. Never stuff like Hunger Games, Maze Runner, Divergent, etc are twilight crowd movies but made to show kids resisting a totalitarian big brother state.
"Do you know who I am? I am the arm, and I sound like this..."-man from another place, twin peaks fire walk with me
8bitagent

Previous

Return to General Discussion