St Louis - Shooting - Riots - Anonymous Threats

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: St Louis - Shooting - Riots - Anonymous Threats

Postby seemslikeadream » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:21 pm

elfismiles » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:55 pm wrote:Is the title of his blog "Demographic Analysis of Current Events"? No it's about "onomatology (study of names) and toponymy (study of place names)..." and "investigates "name games" and "number coincidences" found in news and history."

Would I mind seeing him speak to the issues you are harping on him about for not covering, sure. But that's never been the subject matter of his blogging. Knowing of his efforts to prevent violence and homicide/suicide through his work on the Copycat Effect / Suicide Clusters etc., is enough for me.

Wombaticus Rex » 26 Nov 2014 17:28 wrote:I take solace knowing that, no matter what happens in our crazy Kali Yuga times, no matter how dead serious, no matter how starkly clear-cut things become out here, I can count on Loren Coleman to type something completely useless, an image-filled, gee-whiz ramble which contributes nothing and obfuscates everything. He's Just Asking Questions!™ Surely, the Egyptian names of Southern Illinois towns is significant, more significant than their actual demographics, or, say, per capita KKK membership or an actual documented history of racist savagery.

So many of us are tempted to let mundane details rob us of the big picture -- little, passing trifles like dead children, ruined lives, actual pain experienced by actual people. Loren Coleman knows better: this is about archetypes, man. Oh, and shitty sci-fi TV shows that Loren Coleman has seen...also about that.

all the while I was chastising myself for posting needless stuff you were posting this ..what's a girl to do? You guys are so confusing :lol:

how about this....I just repost the link and at least it won't clutter up this thread

http://copycateffect.blogspot.com/2014/ ... anguage%29
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:22 pm

Sorry to be late joining this thread in progress...

...but this story stuck out, not just because of how sad it is, but because it is being called out as an incident of destruction not instigated by the rioters - but by white supremacists.

Feds Probing Arson of Michael Brown Sr.'s Church

By John Brecher and Rick Brown

Federal investigators are looking into an arson fire that burned the Missouri church where Michael Brown's father was baptized over the weekend.

"This is a slow and painstaking process," said John Ham, a spokesman for the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, which is working with a local task force on the case.

Flood Christian Church was torched Monday night after the announcement that a grand jury had voted not to indict Officer Darren Wilson in the shooting death of unarmed teen Michael Brown Jr.

The church went up in flames around the same time about a dozen other buildings were set ablaze in Ferguson by protesters angered by the grand jury's decision, but it's on a remote section of West Florissant Avenue where other structures were unscathed.

"The police called me and told me the church was on fire," the Rev. Carlton Lee said. "I was in complete disbelief. I didn't think anyone would set a church on fire.

"I feel like one of my children has died. I put my blood, my sweat, my tears into this church, getting this church built from the ground up. To see that it was taken down in a few minutes is really heartbreaking."

He said he told Michael Brown Sr. about the extensive damage on Tuesday afternoon. "He was just devastated again," he said.

The pastor said he doubted the same people who were raging on the other end of West Florissant had burned his church. Instead, he said, he suspected white supremacists who wanted to punish him for his support of the Brown family, who had just been baptized there.

"Sunday, we do the baptism, Monday, the church is one fire. It just doesn't add up," he said.

He said Brown had pledged his help in repairing the damage.

"We rebuild," Lee said. "We do not stop."
"Huey Long once said, “Fascism will come to America in the name of anti-fascism.” I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security."
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Blog: View Blog (37)

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:41 pm

seemslikeadream » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:21 pm wrote:all the while I was chastising myself for posting needless stuff you were posting this ..what's a girl to do? You guys are so confusing :lol:

You're fine! You're always fine. You post a lot, we've discussed it, peace was negotiated and has held since.

I just gotta rant sometimes.
Wombaticus Rex

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby elfismiles » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:43 pm

I'm speaking of his published books The Copycat Effect and Suicide Clusters and his work with schools and civic authorities on preventing same.

I'm not going to dignify that comparison with anything more than this non-response.

You might as well be Hugh spouting off against the mass of content at RI (Jeff's blog and forum) as being W.O.O.

Wombaticus Rex » 26 Nov 2014 19:18 wrote:
elfismiles » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:55 pm wrote:Knowing of his efforts to prevent violence and homicide/suicide through his work on the Copycat Effect / Suicide Clusters etc., is enough for me.

I was with you ... riiiiiight up until that one.

Can you explain how Coleman isn't a mix between Nancy Grace and Alex Jones? If publicizing and analyzing the minutae of spree killings is a preventative measure, that's news to me...
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:06 pm

elfismiles » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:43 pm wrote:I'm speaking of his published books The Copycat Effect and Suicide Clusters and his work with schools and civic authorities on preventing same.

I'm not going to dignify that comparison with anything more than this non-response.

Actually, that constitutes the perfect response. I'll check out Suicide Clusters.

Also -- I am Hugh. Everyone knows that, right?
Wombaticus Rex

Postby elfismiles » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:03 pm

Wombaticus Rex » 26 Nov 2014 20:06 wrote:
elfismiles » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:43 pm wrote:I'm speaking of his published books The Copycat Effect and Suicide Clusters and his work with schools and civic authorities on preventing same.

Actually, that constitutes the perfect response. I'll check out Suicide Clusters.

Also -- I am Hugh. Everyone knows that, right?

Aha! Wait... I thot Jeff was the manatee?

elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:52 pm

Wombaticus Rex » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:06 pm wrote:Also -- I am Hugh. Everyone knows that, right?

This immediately came to mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-C9_51vQHw
"Huey Long once said, “Fascism will come to America in the name of anti-fascism.” I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security."
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Postby MayDay » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:20 pm

Rumours are circulating the web in regard to the murder of Deandre Joshua, who was found dead last night, shot to death, in his burning vehicle only yards from where MIke Brown was shot. Rumour has it that he may have been an eyewitness who testified before the grand jury, but this is largely unconfirmed. Few mainstream US media outlets are carrying this story. THis is being called a retribution style killing- but by whom and for what are still a mystery.

I marched last night in Austin. THe mood was just as much celebratory as angry, to my dismay. No convincing this crowd to take part in actual civil disobedience. Police presence was low, and many revellers left to hit the bars on 6th within 30 mins of our arrival at the state capitol grounds. I left early, but from the photos I've seen, it looks like the remainder of the crowd sat around and sang kumbaya. I'm being coy because I resent the fact that I live in a city that generally looks down on any sort of action that disturbs Buisiness As Usual, such blocking a bridge or shutting down the highway, actions that were successfull in other major cities last night.

Some of the comments here are appalling. How deluded and disconected, to declare this "just a media show" for udefined, ambiguous conspiratorial purposes, and not genuine rage at the cassualties of systemic racism. As long as the cops keep killing people, an overwhelming number of whom happen to be young black men, we will take every opportunity that presents itself to unite against this widespread and under-represented injustice happening in our streets on a daily basis. Ferguson took off. We ran with it. Get over it.

It is time to have some truly honest conversations regarding race. I am white skinned, male, privelaged, and I know it. I'm dirt poor and yet I don't get picked on by the police at all. I am also deeply racist. It took me a long time to admit it, but it's true. I grew up in a racist town, surrounded by rasicsts, and no matter how I may have stood against the mindless bigotry of my friends and family (to my own disgrace, in those twisted eyes), I am still strugling with deeply internalized rasicm. Honestly, I think nearly everyone is, to one degree or another. Things will go on this way until we decide to honestly examine and thoroughly dismantle the structural racism that perpetuates the present status quo.
MayDay

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:28 pm

MayDay » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:20 pm wrote:I'm being coy because I resent the fact that I live in a city that generally looks down on any sort of action that disturbs Buisiness As Usual, such blocking a bridge or shutting down the highway, actions that were successfull in other major cities last night.

Everyone I've posed this to so far has been extremely offended so far, but that's never dissuaded me before, so: Why? Why shut down highways and bridges?

Why disrupt people driving home from work? "We're angry so this interstate is shut down."

I don't get the logic, or perhaps I do -- because it seems like a tantrum, inflicting discomfort on the only targets available. It also seems like a surefire way to alienate the working people you need on your side, and that's the part that really baffles me. All they're going to remember is being stuck in traffic.
Wombaticus Rex

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:59 pm

Hey, here's a good response to my paleo-conservative bewilderment....

Via: http://www.versobooks.com/blogs/666-mck ... c-of-riots

'The Logic of Riots'

By McKenzie Wark / 16 August 2011

Riots have their own logic. Both those who celebrate and decry them tend to think of riots as irrational outbursts, which can be channeled back towards order either by offering a few concessions or by sending in more police. There is invariably some moralizing that goes along with all this, none of it terribly helpful for understanding why riots are a constant of modern urban life rather than some inexplicable exception.

There's a short text that always does the rounds whenever riots occur again. It was written by Guy Debord, legendary co-founder of the Situationist International, and bearing the jargon-heavy title of ‘The Decline and Fall of the Spectacle-Commodity Economy.' These days you don't have to hunt around for the photocopies passed from hand to hand, it can be easily googled. Its subject is the Watts riots of 1965. Its leading provocation, and the reason for its underground popularity, is this: "But who has defended the rioters of Watts in the terms they deserve?

"The Los Angeles revolt was a revolt against the commodity," Debord said. It was at least partly so. "The flames of Watts consumed consumption." In the spectacle of consumer society advertises a life in which all that is good appears on television and all that appears on television is good. This constant circulation of images of the consumer lifestyle, which came into its own in the sixties, could but be a cruel reminder for African Americans in particular of the inequities underlying such images.

The spectacle of consumable life ranks goods in order of their desirability. The fancy brands are so much better than generic knock-offs. But this is also an order that ranks its subjects. To be Black in the sixties is to be at the bottom of the visible order. Just as the ranking of which are the better brands changes over time, so too does the league table of desirable kinds of people. You have your Kate Middletons, and then you have your chavs.

The Watts riot was a moment when African Americans saw through this hierarchy of images. As Debord says: "they demand the egalitarian realization of the American spectacle of everyday life." This is a constant of the modern riot. Those who are told, at one and the same time, that these and the things they should desire, but that they themselves are not desirable, will periodically get the message, and respond in kind. Like the Watts rioters, they see the swag on offer - and loot it.

The signature Situationist concept for such - recurring - events is potlatch. Where Marx compared the transformation of the object of labor into a commodity to a transubstantiation, the Situationists were interested in a kind of reverse miracle, by which the thing lost its status as commodity and became the gift. The looted object is no longer a commodity. But the perversity of the gesture is that its seizure does not break the spell of exchange and return to things their value. Rather, looting takes the spectacle at its word. In the spectacle, what is good appears and what appears is good. The looter jumps the gap between desire and the commodity. The looter takes desires for necessity, and necessity for their desires, but freeing the commodity from exchange does not expunge exchange from the commodity.

The riot contains a quite contrary movement as well - arson. The arsonist is not quite the same as the looter. The arsonist's is a negative relation to what appears, particularly to the built environment. The arsonist's actions are marked by the refusal of spectacular form. Enormous energy is being withdrawn from the labor process and it finds no other outlet than in aggression prompted by dissatisfaction. In the riot, that aggression turns against two of its sources: against the time of the commodity form; against an alienating urban space.

Looting and arson are recurring events within what the Situationists called the "overdeveloped world." They are the mark of overdevelopment, of the quantitative expansion of production outstripping the qualitative transformation of everyday life, of desires spinning their wheels, without traction in the elaboration of needs. The proximate causes may vary, and are usually to do with the thuggery of the police and the indifference of the state.

What the Situationists point to is the consistency and persistence of what follows, the twin forks of seize it all, or burn it down. Sometimes, the riot takes a different form, and passes toward rebellion, even toward revolution, or perhaps those in the middle of it think it does. This is why May ‘68 has a special place in not only the theory but also the mythology of the Situationists. It was more than a riot. It was the fabled general strike.

There is a lot that is missing from Debord's account of Watts: The thirty dead, the thousand injured, the four thousand arrests. Still, it might have interested him that later investigations upheld his hunch that while the riots were leaderless they were not without organization. Impromptu meetings in the park after dark coordinated movements, for example. Riots are neither irrational, spontaneous outbursts, nor the secret workings of some conspiracy or other.

They, are rather, the working out of an inner tension in commodified life. That tension is usually finessed through the fine idea that if everyone just knuckles under and does their best, all will be well. The yawning gap between the promise of the spectacle and its actuality can be narrowed with hard work and a bit of luck. When that carrot turns out to be a rotten promise, then there's nothing for it but the stick. The modern, spectacular society would prefer to be loved, but when push comes to shoved it will settle for being feared.
Wombaticus Rex

Postby MayDay » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:15 pm

Wombaticus Rex » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:28 pm wrote:
MayDay » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:20 pm wrote:I'm being coy because I resent the fact that I live in a city that generally looks down on any sort of action that disturbs Buisiness As Usual, such blocking a bridge or shutting down the highway, actions that were successfull in other major cities last night.

Everyone I've posed this to so far has been extremely offended so far, but that's never dissuaded me before, so: Why? Why shut down highways and bridges?

Why disrupt people driving home from work? "We're angry so this interstate is shut down."

I don't get the logic, or perhaps I do -- because it seems like a tantrum, inflicting discomfort on the only targets available. It also seems like a surefire way to alienate the working people you need on your side, and that's the part that really baffles me. All they're going to remember is being stuck in traffic.

I know it's cliche, but:
"unless we are free, the machine will be prevented from working at all"

How about "things are really fucked up and we can't make you hear us so we're going to extreme legnths to try to be heard"

That's really how I see it. If it forces interruption that prompts uncomfortable but neccessary conversations at the local and national level, by folks who'd rather just not think about it, then we've done our job. We've "changed the conversation". "changed the narrative". It's sad, but thats the only real power we have in the present paradigm.
MayDay

Postby MayDay » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:17 pm

MayDay » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:15 pm wrote:
Wombaticus Rex » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:28 pm wrote:

I know it's cliche, but:
"unless we are free, the machine will be prevented from working at all"

How about "things are really fucked up and we can't make you hear us so we're going to extreme legnths to try to be heard"

That's really how I see it. If it forces interruption that prompts uncomfortable but neccessary conversations at the local and national level, by folks who'd rather just not think about it, then we've done our job. We've "changed the conversation". "changed the narrative". It's sad, but thats the only real power we have in the present paradigm.

Cudos on the parody peice in the fbi tread, Wrex. Had me rolling. :yay
MayDay

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:31 pm

MayDay » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:15 pm wrote:It's sad, but thats the only real power we have in the present paradigm.

Absolutely.

That's the biggest reason I'll scratch my head but can't condemn. It happens in Europe, too, French truckers seem to do it all the time, but maybe that's more of a Post-Brussels-Satanist-Union thing.

Thanks for the heads up on the strange but fascinating detail of Deandre Joshua. Looks like there's going to be a lot more to that story shortly.
Wombaticus Rex

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:19 pm

As promised, Anonymous dumps KKK leader’s personal info online in ongoing Ferguson dispute

Travis Gettys
26 Nov 2014 at 09:13 ET

The online hacker collective Anonymous dumped a trove of personal information online belonging to alleged members of the Ku Klux Klan.

The “hacktivist” group claims to have taken control this week of the @KuKluxKlanUSA Twitter account in an ongoing dispute between the two groups over Wilson’s fatal shooting of an unarmed black teen and the resulting protests in Ferguson, Missouri.

The group also threatened in a new video to shut down government websites in Missouri to protest the grand jury decision not to indict Officer Darren Wilson in the death of 18-year-old Michael Brown.

“We find it disturbing that you, the grand jury, have chose this path as everyone will not choose to stand calm and let you choose to let him walk free,” the group said in a video posted online Tuesday. “As you’ve seen all the riots and businesses, police cars, etc., being burned down while Anonymous shall target any Missouri government or bank sites now, so you better increase your security because we’re here and we’re not going to stand by and watch you let this man walk free.”

A tweet posted Tuesday evening to that account included links to two Pastebin documents that contained names, addresses, Social Security numbers, phone numbers, social media account information, credit card and banking information, and other detailed personal data for Frank Ancona, grand wizard of the Traditionalist American Knights of the Ku Klux Klan, and his alleged associates.

“We’ll just leave this here,” the post said, along with links to two documents.

Ancona’s group distributed leaflets warning they would use “lethal force” against protesters after the grand jury decision, and Anonymous warned Klan members and police they would retaliate if protesters’ rights were violated.

Anonymous claimed to have hacked Ancona’s social media and PayPal accounts and disconnected his phone and electricity services.

The pastor of a church where Michael Brown’s father was baptized over the weekend said he believes white supremacists, not protesters, burned down Flood Christian Church overnight Monday.

“I’m very vocal in regards to the Michael Brown case,” said Rev. Carlton Lee, who has taken part in in rallies and press conferences with Michael Brown Sr.

Members of the Anonymous offshoot NOWsec claimed last week that a source within the St. Louis County Police Department had told them Ferguson-area law enforcement officers were affiliated with the “Ghoul Squad,” which the activists described as supportive of the local KKK chapter.

One of the activists claimed NOWsec had proof of a link but could not publish the evidence because it could endanger the life of their source.

The group also reportedly dumped Officer Darren Wilson’s personal information online, but the credit card numbers and other elements did not appear to be valid.
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Postby seemslikeadream » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:08 pm

Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion