NBC: Gun Rights Massively Expanding(Powder Keg?)

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

NBC: Gun Rights Massively Expanding(Powder Keg?)

Postby 8bitagent » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:33 am

For all the Alex Jones and tea party blowhards who whine about "Second Amendment erosion", gun "rights" have exploded. Since Obama, and after every major violent event, gun sales soar. I think what is it, 500% since Obama.
And with all these open carry folks or white gun nuts promising to "defend shop keepers in Fergusson", or the next Fergusson/LA Riot type of flashpoint....it isn't that hard to see
the seeds for something bad brewing in the US of A. Only a matter of time, and that isn't doomsaying. (ie: legitimate black rage after a terrible event mixed with criminals/opportunists met with white gun owner tea party militia types = powder keg)

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/investigati ... ts-n184296

Armed, Out and About: Evolving Public-Carry Laws Expand Gun Rights

More Americans can carry guns in more places than ever before. In the majority of states, law-abiding gun owners can walk into bars, restaurants and churches with their guns without fear of legal ramifications.

A review by News 21 of public-carry laws – governing both concealed carry and open carry of firearms – shows that gun owners are now allowed to pack a gun in a public place in all 50 states.

The laws vary considerably from state to state. Some states prohibit gun owners from carrying their weapons into specific venues, like bars or airports. And some state laws are not specific in outlining where a firearm can be taken. Local governments in some states also have tighter restrictions on where guns can be carried.

But overall, the numbers show that the ability of Americans to carry their guns with them has steadily expanded since the 1960s, a high-water mark for gun restrictions. Today, for example, no states prohibit concealed carry, down from 19 in 1981.

.... more from the article...

Guns are increasingly common in a variety of public spaces.

Georgia’s Legislature recently passed the Georgia Safe Carry Protection Act, which significantly expanded where gun owners could take their firearms. It allows licensed gun owners to bring their firearms in to churches, schools, bars and restaurants.

Critics of the bill have called it the “Guns Everywhere Bill” and argue that it ignores the conclusions of research on gun violence.

“All of the legislation points to more guns in more spaces being a good idea," said Kathryn Grant, co-founder of the Georgia Gun Sense Coalition. "The research isn’t out there. It’s fundamentally flawed logic.”

As it is, Grant said, she has to steel herself when she walks out her front door.

“If I thought about the possibility of the increased number of guns now that are being carried in places, it would have a paralyzing effect, and I won't let that happen,” she said.

image at the bottom of the article

"Do you know who I am? I am the arm, and I sound like this..."-man from another place, twin peaks fire walk with me
8bitagent

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: NBC: Gun Rights Massively Expanding(Powder Keg?)

Postby Freitag » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:24 am

I was at a gun range recently for the first time since the 90's, and was pleasantly surprised at the clientele. There were people of all colors, ages, genders.... it was a perfect demographic slice of the area I'm in. (I guess I had expected it to be all white males.)

Anyway I'm glad the gun "rights" are expanding, although in reality they are the same as ever, since rights don't come from the government, they come from the Creator.
Freitag

Postby brainpanhandler » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:58 am

Yah baby, and the lord said make my day and it was good.
"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Martin Luther King Jr.
brainpanhandler

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:16 am

Wombaticus Rex

Postby Iamwhomiam » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:15 pm

Iamwhomiam

Postby 82_28 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:51 pm

There's old guy joker that prances around my neighborhood with his gun. (I write too much at various venues -- so I can't remember if I told this here or elsewhere)

It's hilarious to see this guy in a crowded grocery store and the only one with a gun. What is everyone else missing? I just walk down to the store and shop along with hundreds of others. There must be some wisdom in this guy to be armed at all times -- AND THE ONLY ONE. I hope he writes poetry and gives TED talks and shit on how his way is THE WAY.

Point is. 99.999999999999999999999999999% of people don't walk out the door and feel threatened for a routine stop by the store or anywhere. What could he possibly be detecting other than his own confused feedback loop?
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby 82_28 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:00 pm

Furthermore, I doubt he would hop a bus and go downtown with that thing. That's why he keeps to possibly the most affluent area in Seattle. He knows that all the liberals cringe at seeing a gun so he wears it because it makes him in his imagination more powerful than anyone else.

I don't give a fuck. Concealed or unconcealed. No place. Leave that fucking thing at home. I don't want to see guns. I have freedom too don't I?

I was behind him in line at the store and I could have shanked him "or something" and his gun would have died on the vine. Prancing around with guns is not a message we need to expose children to.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby Iamwhomiam » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:29 am

Concealed Carry Superman? Nah... Not Really

Posted by William Starnes on Jun 18, 2014 10:41:00 AM

http://blog.beretta.com/concealed-carry-superman?utm_campaign=CCW&utm_content=6296960&utm_medium=social&utm_source=linkedin

Concealed Carry Superman Or So You Thought

Posted June 23, 2014 in Guns & Gear, Pistols
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/06/23/concealed-carry-superman-thought/

Maybe he should walk around town in spandex. That would be quite disarming to those who witness the sight and then he wouldn't need to carry his gun anymore!

I dunno, 82. Seems one day you wake up and nothing's the same anymore. The world seems strange and little's making sense. You wonder whether you're having a Twilight Zone moment that will pass and everything will be just fine. But you're not; it's real. It's time, that unreal concept and we're aged, though we still feel youthful in our minds.

One evening you go to bed and overnight the world's scenery changes. When you awaken, your super heroes have become gunslingers and you wonder why. Why is this change necessary?

Desensitizing the public to violence is disarming. Hence, the rush for concealed carry. Makes sense, right?

Pity the children.
Iamwhomiam

Postby DrEvil » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:19 am

"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:26 am

82_28 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:00 pm wrote:I don't want to see guns. I have freedom too don't I?

Replace "Guns" with "Asian People" and let me know if it's still about your freedom.
Wombaticus Rex

Postby 82_28 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:53 am

Wombaticus Rex » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:26 am wrote:
82_28 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:00 pm wrote:I don't want to see guns. I have freedom too don't I?

Replace "Guns" with "Asian People" and let me know if it's still about your freedom.

Nope. Not an issue. I don't give a fuck "who one is". I don't want to see guns. Guns are not humans and nor are they extensions of humans. Leave 'em at home as I tend to worry about the children being normalized upon seeing them. Has everything to do about freedom. No guns around me and others. That's it and that's all. And frankly, they don't make me nervous. I just don't want to see a gun in the self-same sense people don't like to be around me when I step out for a smoke. If I have to step outside to do what I want to do, so too do gun people. Don't wear shit that kids are going to see such stupidity as normal.
82_28

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:18 am

Okay, replace "Asian People" with "stupidity," then.

Still an uphill climb.

Maybe what you're really saying is you don't like going outside?
Wombaticus Rex

Postby 82_28 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:25 am

Wombaticus Rex » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:18 am wrote:Okay, replace "Asian People" with "stupidity," then.

Still an uphill climb.

Maybe what you're really saying is you don't like going outside?

Where well then, will I smoke? I have to go outside, B.
82_28

Postby 8bitagent » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:29 pm

I don't like seeing guns either. I hate seeing guns IRL. Call me a bleeding far leftist. Walking past those itchy trigger finger doughy Brinks security people makes me nervous. It's like whoah, no need to have your hand on your firearm looking at me John Wayne, I'm just here to buy a pizza
"Do you know who I am? I am the arm, and I sound like this..."-man from another place, twin peaks fire walk with me
8bitagent

Postby Elvis » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:11 pm

Washington has long had a "liberal" concealed carry law, and last time I checked, around 20 years ago, about 5% of the adult population had concealed carry permits. That means 1 out of 20 adult Washingtonians going out and about are likely to be packing a handgun (it's probably more now). A lot of people are aware of the ubiquitous gun-just-under-the-coat, and I'm certain that, especially among the concealed carriers, that awareness often manifests as a certain politeness; no one really feels that special or powerful because they guy in line next to you is just as likely to be carrying a gun as you are.

In fact, that happened to me about 30 years ago. I was working a traveling night job and was legally packing concealed. I guess the Charter Arms .38 "snubby" under my coat was showing, cuz this random guy in a 7-Eleven smiled and said, "Heyyy, cool -- I got one just like that," and pulled back his coat to reveal a 5-shot revolver in a shoulder holster.

A few years later I decided to unilaterally disarm, and sold the snubby. I did feel more like a 'whole person' without the gun. Nevertheless, I eventually got another one but don't carry it around. Self defense isn't a big priority, I'm not that concerned about being killed (it just can't be this week, I've got way too much to do).

In my life I've stumbled upon and stopped, mainly by summoning police, two attempted rapes; a few more minutes and it would have been just rape. I'll never forget the voices of those terrified women, and the hissy snarl of one of the assailants. I think that's why I continue to own a gun: the helplessness, panic and rage I felt in those moments, and what would have happened to those women if not for the sheer luck of police being near enough to flag down.

Here's an interesting fact: in Washington's history, only two conceal-carry permit holders were ever convicted of gun crimes, and both were cops. (I'd have to look it up, but at least one of them, pretty sure both, shot their wives dead.)

I think the question must be asked: do we really want the police to be the only ones with guns?
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Next

Return to General Discussion