Electromagnetically Induced Telepathy in Lab Setting

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Electromagnetically Induced Telepathy in Lab Setting

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:34 pm

Welp. That happened: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25137064

Abstract

Human sensory and motor systems provide the natural means for the exchange of information between individuals, and, hence, the basis for human civilization. The recent development of brain-computer interfaces (BCI) has provided an important element for the creation of brain-to-brain communication systems, and precise brain stimulation techniques are now available for the realization of non-invasive computer-brain interfaces (CBI). These technologies, BCI and CBI, can be combined to realize the vision of non-invasive, computer-mediated brain-to-brain (B2B) communication between subjects (hyperinteraction). Here we demonstrate the conscious transmission of information between human brains through the intact scalp and without intervention of motor or peripheral sensory systems. Pseudo-random binary streams encoding words were transmitted between the minds of emitter and receiver subjects separated by great distances, representing the realization of the first human brain-to-brain interface. In a series of experiments, we established internet-mediated B2B communication by combining a BCI based on voluntary motor imagery-controlled electroencephalographic (EEG) changes with a CBI inducing the conscious perception of phosphenes (light flashes) through neuronavigated, robotized transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS), with special care taken to block sensory (tactile, visual or auditory) cues. Our results provide a critical proof-of-principle demonstration for the development of conscious B2B communication technologies. More fully developed, related implementations will open new research venues in cognitive, social and clinical neuroscience and the scientific study of consciousness. We envision that hyperinteraction technologies will eventually have a profound impact on the social structure of our civilization and raise important ethical issues.

Wombaticus Rex

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Electromagnetically Induced Telepathy in Lab Setting

Postby American Dream » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:28 pm

Temporary tattoos could make electronic telepathy and telekinesis possible

Temporary electronic tattoos could soon help people fly drones with only thought and talk seemingly telepathically without speech over smartphones, researchers say. Electrical engineer Todd Coleman at the University of California at San Diego is devising noninvasive means of controlling machines via the mind, techniques virtually everyone might be able to use.

Commanding machines using the brain is no longer the stuff of science fiction. In recent years, brain implants have enabled people to control robotics using only their minds, raising the prospect that one day patients could overcome disabilities using bionic limbs or mechanical exoskeletons.

But brain implants are invasive technologies, probably of use only to people in medical need of them. Instead, Coleman and his team are developing wireless flexible electronics one can apply on the forehead just like temporary tattoos to read brain activity.

"We want something we can use in the coffee shop to have fun," Coleman says.

The devices are less than 100 microns thick, the average diameter of a human hair. They consist of circuitry embedded in a layer or rubbery polyester that allow them to stretch, bend and wrinkle. They are barely visible when placed on skin, making them easy to conceal from others.

The devices can detect electrical signals linked with brain waves, and incorporate solar cells for power and antennas that allow them to communicate wirelessly or receive energy. Other elements can be added as well, like thermal sensors to monitor skin temperature and light detectors to analyze blood oxygen levels.

Using the electronic tattoos, Coleman and his colleagues have found they can detect brain signals reflective of mental states, such as recognition of familiar images. One application they are now pursuing is monitoring premature babies to detect the onset of seizures that can lead to epilepsy or brain development problems. The devices are now being commercialized for use as consumer, digital health, medical device, and industrial and defense products by startup MC10 in Cambridge, Mass.

READ MORE
American Dream

Postby Elvis » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:37 pm

These technologies, BCI and CBI, can be combined to realize the vision of non-invasive, computer-mediated brain-to-brain (B2B) communication between subjects (hyperinteraction).

"To realize the vision" -- very interesting choice of words in a scientific paper. Why not just say, "to achieve non-invasive..."? Instead, they use the metaphor of the poetic or shamanic vision.

Then they go on ("envisioning" now in a more straightforward way) to "raise important ethical issues" without any dissection of those issues. After all, they're 'just doing research'; the ethical issues are 'not my department' and the research will carry on pell-mell while a few philosophers and op-ed writers hash out the ethics. I "envision" the steamroller of Progress flattening them mid-speech.
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby elfismiles » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:08 pm

Thanks Wombat!
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby coffin_dodger » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:21 pm

YAY, thought-crime comes a step closer to reality.
coffin_dodger

Blog: View Blog (14)

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:51 pm

coffin_dodger » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:21 pm wrote:YAY, thought-crime comes a step closer to reality.

But so does psychic assassination of world leaders, so like most technology, we're pretty much breaking even.

This tech will be consumer-level training wheels for robust psi development.

Throwback Thursdays: http://www.brainsturbator.com/posts/136 ... -1981-2008
Wombaticus Rex

Postby coffin_dodger » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:17 pm

The Wom said:
But so does psychic assassination of world leaders, so like most technology, we're pretty much breaking even.

I hadn't considered that. Psi-Secure™. Psi-Stim™. Psi-Block™. Psi-Lockdown™.

And Psi-Hackers, of course.

Nothing much changes really, eh?
coffin_dodger

Blog: View Blog (14)

Postby Twyla LaSarc » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:06 pm

Considering psionic development tends to ultimately run to sites devoted to getting females to take their clothes off (and other unsavory narcissic shit- http://www.charlescosimano.com/e-books.html)...perhaps we need nail polish with psionic blockers that turns colors when some dude wants to try to seduce us with his 'vibe'.
Last edited by Twyla LaSarc on Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“The Radium Water Worked Fine until His Jaw Came Off”
Twyla LaSarc

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:14 pm

Heh, I know Charlie. All he does is post racist trolling on Twitter, it's pretty f'ing sad.

I mean, I have racist sexist family members who sit on the computer all day but at least they've got an eTrade account and make some money doing it.

You make an excellent point, though: psi in general is one of the most comprehensively poisoned wells this side of "Flying Saucers." (I'M LOOKING AT YOU, ED DAMES.) In fact, probably more so, since it is more immediately relevant to seven billion primates with latent psychic superpowers being conditioned for consumer serfdom.

It's too, too true that the first and fastest application of any psi / hypnosis techniques is monetizing the sad fantasies of men who are too caged by their own fear and horseshit to see females as human beings capable of holding down a conversation. I guess the only consolation there is that, unlike the biochemical brick wall of rohypnol, NLP is mostly horseshit as a quick fix / E-Z recipe.
Wombaticus Rex

Postby justdrew » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:16 pm

BAH. still dependent on the electromagnetic spectrum, totally jam-able and range limited. they're on the right track though. Affinity
By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby Twyla LaSarc » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:33 pm

Wombaticus Rex » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:14 pm wrote:psi in general is one of the most comprehensively poisoned wells this side of "Flying Saucers." (I'M LOOKING AT YOU, ED DAMES.) In fact, probably more so, since it is more immediately relevant to seven billion primates with latent psychic superpowers being conditioned for consumer serfdom.

I agree. 'Poisoned the well' is an apt way of stating it. I started looking into it a decade or so ago (while checking out 'orgone') and was taken aback by the general amorality of the people it attracted. It seems like there is something to it that might translate well into more positive, empowering, and enlightening energetic experience, but getting past the air of negativity to learn it seemed a little much for me.
“The Radium Water Worked Fine until His Jaw Came Off”
Twyla LaSarc

Postby justdrew » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:21 am

also, IIRC... WE ALREADY HAVE computer/machine-aided BRAIN TO BRAIN COMMUNICATION.

we're even doing it right now :shrug:

if I can think it
then I can type it

if I can envision it
then I can describe it
By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby BrandonD » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:18 am

justdrew » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:21 am wrote:also, IIRC... WE ALREADY HAVE computer/machine-aided BRAIN TO BRAIN COMMUNICATION.

we're even doing it right now :shrug:

if I can think it
then I can type it

if I can envision it
then I can describe it

I think the keywords from the OP article are "without intervention of motor or peripheral sensory systems."

If I'm not mistaken, there was an article fairly recently about a chimp being able to play a simple video game with only its thoughts.
"One measures a circle, beginning anywhere." -Charles Fort
BrandonD

Postby stefano » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:17 am

BrandonD » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:18 pm wrote:If I'm not mistaken, there was an article fairly recently about a chimp being able to play a simple video game with only its thoughts.

I didn't realise we'd got that far. I guess it's always later than you think.

Still very basic though - perceiving light flashes? That bit in the OP is written in a deliberately obfuscatory way. Why 'binary streams encoding words'? What's the point of that? To make it sound like it is actually telepathic communication? Also might be why they used 'vision'. As scientific reporters get worse, reporting every discovery in a sensationalist way, it was inevitable that scientists would begin pandering to that.
stefano

Postby BrandonD » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:17 am

stefano » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:17 am wrote:As scientific reporters get worse, reporting every discovery in a sensationalist way, it was inevitable that scientists would begin pandering to that.

Science + Capitalism = Upworthy
"One measures a circle, beginning anywhere." -Charles Fort
BrandonD

Return to General Discussion