It is happening... again. Twin Peaks, that is.

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: It is happening... again. Twin Peaks, that is.

Postby Laodicean » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:17 pm

Phillip Jeffries is still out there, somewhere.
Laodicean

Blog: View Blog (16)

Postby Iamwhomiam » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:51 pm

Anxious to watch 11.
Iamwhomiam

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby cptmarginal » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:55 pm

Reminded me of:

cptmarginal

Postby DrEvil » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:22 pm

Junji Ito is awesome.
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Postby mentalgongfu2 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:10 am

TWIN PEAKS AND THE BLUE ROSE by Rocko Van Buren

Excerpted below, for your consideration:

While the original Twin Peaks run of 1990-921 owes much of its nostalgic love to its soap-opera-style story-lines, Cooper's frequent references to “damn fine coffee,” “the best cherry pie in the tri-counties,” and scenes like Audrey Horne engaged in a strange and seductive dance to music composed by Lynch collaborator Angelo Badalamenti, it is the lore and mystery of Twin Peaks that always attracted me most. And while this aspect of the story was certainly included in the original run of the series, it was never as prominent on ABC prime-time as it was later on in the show's darker, stranger cousin, Lynch's 1992 film Fire Walk With Me (which was my introduction to the world of Twin Peaks). Nothing in the Twin Peaks ecosphere compares to the dark strangeness of Fire Walk With Me (which was originally intended as a series of three films; however, part two and three were never filmed because of the poor critical and financial reception to its first installment). While the inability of Lynch to continue the story in the 1990s was certainly disappointing to hardcore fans, without that failure, we may not have ever been able to experience 2017's revival of Twin Peaks via The Return, in which Lynch and Frost have continued their legacy of breaking new ground in television entertainment.

OUTSIDE OF TIME AND SPACE

Of the many oddities in Twin Peaks, the Black Lodge and its denizens, Bob, The One-Armed Man (aka Mike/Phillip Gerard) and The Man From Another Place (aka the arm) are it's most persistent and vexing. Where do they come from? What is their purpose? While there are many theories surrounding Twin Peaks culture about the meaning and origin of this place and its inhabitants, most of them ignore the connection to Project Blue Book, UFO phenomena and the possibility of alien life. My analysis will attempt to connect the line from Blue Book to Blue Rose, from the idea of UFO encounters and alien visitors to inhabiting spirits like Bob and his cohorts.

To understand this, we must first reconsider the popular conception of aliens – we are not speaking here about extraterrestrial beings in the sense depicted in Steven Spielberg's films E.T. or Close Encounters of the Third Kind. These are not little green men in flying saucers, nor necessarily “Greys,” “Reptilians,” “Nordics,” nor any of the other alien races promulgated by popular culture shows like Coast to Coast AM. (although some images in The Return do bear a striking resemblance to the alien “grey,” notably the being credited as “The Experiment/Mother” in Part Eight, the being in the black box in Part One, and the first scene in Andy's vision from Part Fourteen).

Instead, we are speaking of aliens as inter/extra-dimensional beings that inhabit our world and adjacent worlds unseen, the type of spirits discussed in dozens of Hindu and Buddhist legends, and, most eloquently in 'western' society, by well-known UFO researcher and PhD Jacques Vallée. Vallée, not coincidentally, was the inspiration for Spielberg's character Claude Lacombe, played in Spielberg's film Close Encounters by François Truffaut.

In an interview with Jeffrey Mishlove on the public television program Thinking Allowed, Vallée discusses his 1979 book Messengers of Deception:

From my own point of view, I'm going to be very disappointed if UFOs turn out to be nothing more than visitors from another planet, because I think they could be something much more interesting... I think what the UFO phenomenon is teaching us is that we don't understand time and space. Here are objects, I think we have to call them objects, that are physical, that interact with the environment, that cause effects on the witnesses, on the psychology and physiology of the witnesses and leave traces on the ground, and yet are capable, appear to be capable of manipulating time and space in ways that go beyond what our physics understands today.

He references frequently recorded effects of UFO encounters on witnesses that resonate with some of the phenomena in Twin Peaks, such as a loss of the sense of space/orientation, loss of a sense of time, physiological effects such as sunburns and damage to the eyes (conjunctivitis, temporary blindness, etc.) and instances wherein the healing process for certain physical ailments seems to have been sped up.

In many of his later works, Vallée continued to explore the hypothesis that alien visitors are not coming to Earth from other star systems in “nuts and bolts” spacecraft, but, rather, are inter-dimensional beings coming from a separate but parallel universe (or universes) to ours. [In fact, the distinction between nuts-and-bolts UFOs and the inter-dimensional hypothesis has become the major dividing line among modern ufologists]

“THE OWLS ARE NOT WHAT THEY SEEM”

The first time we encounter this phrase in Twin Peaks is as one of three messages delivered to Cooper by The Giant, after Cooper is shot in his hotel room at the conclusion of Episode 8 of the first season. [The Giant, as he is referred to throughout the original series, is revealed in Part 14 of The Return to be named The Fireman.]

In the following episode, the Season 2 premier, Cooper's body lies on the floor of his room at The Great Northern hotel with a bullet in his abdomen. Cooper, in a dream-like state, is visited by The Giant, who tells him three things: “there is a man in a smiling bag,” “the owls are not what the seem,” and “without chemicals, he points.”

As the season proceeds, we discover “a man in a smiling bag” is a reference to Jacques Renault's corpse in a body bag at the morgue. “Without chemicals, he points” is a reference to Phillip Gerard, aka “Mike”, aka “the One-Armed Man,” who is inhabited by a spirit who used to be a companion of Bob, and who joined Bob in his murderous deeds until (he claims) he saw God and removed his arm, somehow freeing himself of their bond. The spirit within Gerard reveals himself when he fails to take his medication, Haloperidol (often prescribed to patients diagnosed with schizophrenia), or as the case in Episode 6 of Season 2, is deliberately deprived of it during an interrogation.

Full article:
http://themediavore.blogspot.com/2017/08/twin-peaks-and-blue-rose-by-rocky-van.html
"When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media in order to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink!"
mentalgongfu2

Postby Iamwhomiam » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:55 pm

Yeah, yeah, yeah. But who is The Dreamer?

(I'm a week behind in viewing the latest.)
Iamwhomiam

Postby cptmarginal » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:28 am

Recommended:

(Publication date: October 18, 2016)

Episode 8 was so Jeff Wells RI blog post, it was insane. Very Jack Parsons-Trinity-Doppleganger-Phantom Woodsman black lodge holy shit fuckery.

This book has me convinced that Mark Frost actually has read some of those posts!

Highlights:

-testimony before Congressman Richard Nixon of one Lafayette Ronald Hubbard, regarding his work as an ONI officer with Jack Parsons leading up to the Babalon Working

-Masonic background of Lewis & Clark expedition; assassination of Meriwether Lewis by agents of Bavarian Illuminati

-involvement of actual historical mountain man Liver Eating Johnson in the exodus of the Nez Perce

-Jackie Gleason's maddening encounter at Homestead Air Force Base in Florida; extensive treatment of Project Blue Book and why it transformed into Blue Rose

Coming soon:

(Publication date: October 31, 2017)
cptmarginal

Postby Iamwhomiam » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:23 pm

BUCKHORN, S.D.

Part 14 begins with Albert Rosenfield (Miguel Ferrer) telling Tammy Preston (Chrysta Bell) a dream-like story about the first Blue Rose case. In 1975, two young field agents entered a motel room in Olympia, Wash., to find a woman, Lois Duffy, standing over the bullet-wounded body of her presumed doppelgänger. “I’m like the blue rose,” the identical Duffy said before she died and then disappeared. Albert recalls the details as if he lived it, but in fact, the agents who witnessed the event were a young Gordon and Phillip Jeffries (David Bowie), the experience kick-starting their fascination with the supernatural.

The story has become a tale — presumably passed down by Gordon — that not only acts as an origin of the Blue Rose cases but as a test. “Now, what’s the one question you should ask me?” Albert poses to Tammy, recalling a similar conversation between Agents Chet Desmond and Sam Stanley in Fire Walk With Me. Tammy knows it’s the blue rose, and Albert asks the significance. “Not something found in nature … not a natural thing … conjured … a tulpa,” Tammy answers. A tulpa comes from both Tibetan and Indian Buddhism and can be defined as “a concept in mysticism of a being or object which is created through spiritual or mental powers.” Essentially a manifestation of the mind, or as the Samaññaphala Sutta scripture describes it, a “mind-made body.” It’s a concept that can be used to describe many of the supernatural entities in Twin Peaks, and it ties directly to both Lynch’s spirituality and the show’s connection to ancient mysticism (we all remember Agent Cooper using the Tibetan method of stone throwing in the original series).

Our detour into spiritualism goes further when Gordon enters the room, having just gotten off the phone with Lucy (Kimmy Robertson) and Sheriff Frank Truman (Robert Forster), who informed him of their investigation into the two Coopers. Gordon mentions having “another Monica Bellucci dream,” to which Albert rolls his eyes. But the dream isn’t some throwaway teenage-style fantasy; it is packed with detail and meaning. The Italian actress, playing herself, meets Gordon at a café in Paris, she brings friends, and Cooper (Kyle MacLachlan) is there, but Gordon can’t see his face. She then says the ancient phrase, “We are like the dreamer who dreams and then lives inside the dream.” Gordon seems familiar with the quote, but it’s the next line that haunts him, when she asks, “But who is the dreamer?”

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/twin-peaks-part-14-recap-dreamer-153517517.html

I'm up to date now and 15 was fantastic!

Thanks for the reference, cptmarginal. looks like a great read:

Masonic background of Lewis & Clark expedition; assassination of Meriwether Lewis by agents of Bavarian Illuminati
Iamwhomiam

Postby Iamwhomiam » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:30 pm

Wow! 16 was explosive as well as transformational. It was as if I'd awakened from a dead sleep! But really, inquiring minds want to know, 'Was Audrey's dance her last?'
Iamwhomiam

Postby 8bitagent » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:08 pm

Been watching "The Return" every Sunday night, can't wait for the final 2 hour finale next weekend. I kind of felt last night's episode leaned too much on comedic lighthearted tones. I dont mind Lynchs more
comedic absurdist overtones, but my one criticism is theres quite a lot of light hearted comedy scenes. As well as a lot of almost pointless extended scenes that take the viewer out of the show.

By contrast, the first 3 episodes were almost completely pitch black tension and terror. Hoping we get a return to that in the 2 hour finale, tho it is good to see Lynch and Frost's sense for creating kind, warm hearted
characters in a sea of darkness envelope.

Still cant get over "David Bowie"s new look in the series.
"Do you know who I am? I am the arm, and I sound like this..."-man from another place, twin peaks fire walk with me
8bitagent

Postby Iamwhomiam » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:06 pm

If anything, episode 16 was a reveal. And the first appearance of Cooper.

Of all here I really don't get you, 8bit. No harm in my feeling puzzled, though.

You mention comedic overtones, yet provide no example. Pray tell, in particular, what did you find comedic? I think those who watched episode 16 would recognize the 'spoilers' in my last comment.

It matters little to me how others choose to interpret Lynch's work. Twin Peaks is an extraordinary work, unprecedented, in fact. And perhaps the culmination of his life's work, which by itself alone would be enough to establish a firm foundation for the legacy of such a cinematic Genius. (Perhaps closest work to Lynch's would be the episodic series, The Prisoner. Although surreal, it was nowhere near as fantastic as Lynch's Twin Peaks.)

edited to add one line after "comedic?"
Last edited by Iamwhomiam on Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iamwhomiam

Postby mentalgongfu2 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:04 pm

Been watching "The Return" every Sunday night, can't wait for the final 2 hour finale next weekend. I kind of felt last night's episode leaned too much on comedic lighthearted tones. I dont mind Lynchs more
comedic absurdist overtones, but my one criticism is theres quite a lot of light hearted comedy scenes. As well as a lot of almost pointless extended scenes that take the viewer out of the show.

Like Iam, I didn't notice more than a few comedic overtones in the most recent part, other than Jerry Horne, which could also mean something more since the "bad binoculars" were being used backward aka in reverse. That, and the comments on Dougie's talkativeness and confidence ... In any case, they personally haven't taken me out of the show, nor have the extended scenes taken me out of it, like the Roadhouse sweeping back in the early half. All the darkness, which is more present than in the first 2 seasons, needs some balance; and the extended scenes of "pointlessness" add to the whole for me.
"When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media in order to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink!"
mentalgongfu2

Postby Iamwhomiam » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:40 pm

Extended scenes? Not apparent to me in the episodes I've been watching for free. Are the extended scenes available only to Showtime subscribers? Is there some sort of break or introduction to the extended scenes at the episode's conclusion or does it all flow seamlessly, without interruption?
If so, I'll have to fork over some dough to see what I've been missing!
Iamwhomiam

Postby mentalgongfu2 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:50 pm

IamwhomIam -- "Extended"as in long, not as anything special or something you're missing. I was referring to 8bit's comment on "pointless extended scenes." Some people find certain scenes drawn-out and/or unnecessary, though I am not among them.
mentalgongfu2

Postby Iamwhomiam » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:33 pm

Ahh, yes! Thank you mentalgongfu2. I recognized it when first read but forgot and thought it might be something along the lines of what I asked. Silence when our action oriented want movement. Loved Lynch's long look, myself. What can I say, I'm infatuated by witnessing the rebirth and flourishing of what I believed lay long dead & buried!

Pardon me, I'm not me! Poof!
Iamwhomiam

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion