It is happening... again. Twin Peaks, that is.

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: It is happening... again. Twin Peaks, that is.

Postby Col. Quisp » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:54 pm

Project Willow » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:12 pm wrote:^Col., do you mean around as in alive, or around here? I think I read that funny. ;)

I never saw the original series, but there it is on Netflix, so maybe I'll catch up.

I meant "as in alive." The way things are going lately, not so sure. but that's my gallows humor...

I agree with whoever said this show might be triggering to some - as with ALL Lynch movies - he really taps into some uncomfortable zones. But it's compelling nonetheless. I think he might have some connection to MK, whether as a perpetrator or a victim, I don't know.

Some points:
Twins (Laura's cousin is her twin, just like Patty Duke!)
Incest
Black Lodge/White Lodge
Owls are not what they seem...
Circle of trees

but I think a lot of the themes come from Lynch's TM techniques so he may just be tapping into the universal mind. Who knows???? It's a great series.

Col. Quisp

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Col. Quisp » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:59 pm

"In the Black Lodge, the Man from Another Place tells Cooper, "This is the waiting room," and offers Cooper some coffee. The Man from Another Place tells Cooper, "When you see me again, it won't be me." Laura Palmer appears, saying, "I will see you again in 25 years." She makes a strange pose, says, "Meanwhile," and then is gone." from the Wikipedia page on the TP final episode...

Hmmm, 25 years..wow...cool!
Col. Quisp

Postby Iamwhomiam » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:21 pm

Yes, it is a troubling movie/TV series and quite weird, but I would not recommend it to anyone with a history similar to yours, Willow. Unquestionably, it will be triggering.

I recommend you first read the wiki entry, which is triggering itself, and in the company of one you trust, before you make a decision. The film came first and should be seen before engaging the new shows or the past two-seasons it aired on tv in 1990-91.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin_Peaks

on edit: SMiles has pointed out the error of this statement:
The film came first and should be seen before engaging the new shows or the past two-seasons it aired on tv in 1990-91.

The film was first shown in 1992, after the series second season had ended the year before.

My advice still remains unaltered otherwise.
Last edited by Iamwhomiam on Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iamwhomiam

“Eye haven’t seen you for awhile, my friend.”

Postby IanEye » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:33 pm

Our cryptographer hero, while working on a quantum encryption method taught to him by extraterrestrials, discovers another dimension where "Twin Peaks" is such an enormous cultural phenomenon that the dwarf and giant have their own spin-off show where, in each weekly episode, they appear to people in their dreams to aid them and just more or less say shit backwards.
He subsequently names one of his encryption keys after the TV show, hence "That Gum You Like Is Back In Style".
IanEye

Blog: View Blog (29)

Postby elfismiles » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:38 pm

Actually, the TV series came first ... then the film.

The series was followed by a 1992 feature film, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me, which serves as both a prequel and an epilogue to the television series.

... there is also a completely irrelevant "European version of the pilot episode" with an ending that makes no sense in the context of the final version of the series and movie.

Iamwhomiam » 07 Oct 2014 17:21 wrote:Yes, it is a troubling movie/TV series and quite weird, but I would not recommend it to anyone with a history similar to yours, Willow. Unquestionably, it will be triggering.

I recommend you first read the wiki entry, which is triggering itself, and in the company of one you trust, before you make a decision.

The film came first and should be seen before engaging the new shows or the past two-seasons it aired on tv in 1990-91.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin_Peaks
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby Iamwhomiam » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:32 pm

Thank you for your correction, SMilles. I'm still confounded by how I had screwed that up!

Indeed, the movie was shown in 1992, after the series had ended the year before.

I will note my error above on edit.
Iamwhomiam

Postby Project Willow » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:55 pm

Iamwhomiam » 07 Oct 2014 09:21 wrote:Yes, it is a troubling movie/TV series and quite weird, but I would not recommend it to anyone with a history similar to yours, Willow. Unquestionably, it will be triggering.

Thank you so much for your concern and warnings, they are very helpful.

Lynch is clever in how he weaves in visual symbols...
HUGE TRIGGERS AHEAD!!!

RA cross configuration

Cult hand signal

Somebody knows some stuff.

Am just a few episodes in, will be taking it slowly.
Project Willow

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Tyler Rabbit » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:42 am

I think it's more of a coke hand signal- but like all good art, it's definitely up to interpretation.. There are some occult, DID, and RA themes, no argument there lol.. It's fun show though, and it's no surprise many here are fans.
Tyler Rabbit

Postby elfismiles » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:40 am

As good a time as any to repost links to my Twin Peaks / Ufology articles:

UFOs & The Black Lodge – A Blue Rose Report Primer
http://www.anomalymagazine.com/zine/200 ... rt-primer/

UFOs & The Black Lodge: Blue Rose Report Part 2.1 – CryptoUFOlogy
http://www.anomalymagazine.com/zine/200 ... toufology/

elfismiles » 11 May 2013 16:47 wrote:EDIT: To answer your question ... Ruta Maya

www.rutamaya.net
Ruta Maya Coffee Company was founded in 1990 in Austin, Texas

http://damnfinecoffee.blogspot.com

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Twin_Peaks_coffee.jpg

http://www.WelcomeToTwinPeaks.com

http://www.TheTexasTheatre.com
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby Luther Blissett » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:41 am

This show was a huge rite of passage for me. I was 10 when the show started, and was the only one in my school who watched every episode. It cemented my interest in high weirdness and the occult after growing up with my family's history of strange ufological / deep state goings on. Our house was right on the edge between a forest and a city, literally a dense city abutting a dense forest on the side of a steep mountain, and this show colored and haunted my childhood. I became intensely fascinated with Tlingit and Chinook culture, and then by extension the Lenape, in addition to a pre-grunge Pacific Northwest / Seattle infatuation (and maybe it should go without saying, a love of sasquatch lore). I wanted to redesign our HO-scale model train set to be set in Snoqualmie.

I couldn't be more excited. I have a penpal who runs a Twin Peaks blog and we've been writing a ton about it. Twin Peaks mythology and aesthetics seem rather relevant / important these days, as if we've been building to something.

It all seems apropos after my city was gripped by Lynch fever with his visual art retrospective at the Academy of Fine Arts and a number of Lectures at the Free Library. A local donut shop did a series of Lynch-inspired donuts. We learned a lot about the influence living in Philadelphia in the late 60's (in a neighborhood we now call Eraserhood) had on his career. He was just freely walking around his opening amongst us plebes. He hated Psycholustro too which is great. I wish he'd move back here.
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Postby norton ash » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:07 pm

My memory of Twin Peaks shimmers in a frame of fuzzy sparky stretched VHS tapes in a tiny dump apartment with a bad shag carpet a beautiful red-haired teenage girl and a head full of drugs.

Things add up sometimes.
Zen horse
norton ash

Postby Iamwhomiam » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:34 pm

Ahh... Sounds like home... sans the last two items.
Iamwhomiam

Postby LilyPatToo » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:43 pm

My husband and I loved Twin Peaks and to this day just the first couple of notes of the theme music sends me back in time. We had cherry pie and coffee parties and watched it with friends and I rewatched episodes by myself as I tried to retrieve the ghosts of memories that some episodes stirred up. In fact, I'm pretty sure that the national labs scientist who was my handler back then attended some of the parties, since he was a neighbor. I've always been drawn to that kind of fictional creepiness as a way to try to handle the real-life kind. So glad it's coming back, but wish it was happening sooner...

Willow, that "finger aside the nose" gesture has creeped me out for as long as I can remember. In the past, I've had haunting dreams of figures wearing disguises doing it as I opened the door to them, too. Now, at least, I'm much more aware of symbols like this, which makes me want to rewatch the original series with open eyes, so to speak.

LilyPat
LilyPatToo

Postby cptmarginal » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:31 pm

I only really watched Twin Peaks for the first time about 4-5 years ago, and by the mid-point of the series was so astonished and moved by it that just the image of the waterfall pouring down in the opening sequence was enough to make me "flood the wheeling universe with tears" in Rumi's phrase. Going back and watching the pilot episode over again a while back, it struck me that most of the profound meaning is there essentially intact just in the extended opening sequence of the saw mill and the waterfall.
The new way of thinking is precisely delineated by what it is not.
cptmarginal

Postby Zombie Glenn Beck » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:51 pm

barracuda wrote:The path from RI moderator to True Blood fangirl to Jehovah's Witness seems pretty straightforward to me. Perhaps even inevitable.
Zombie Glenn Beck

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion