Your Take On The ISIS Phenomenon

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Your Take On The ISIS Phenomenon

Postby 8bitagent » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:49 am

Since I joined up on RI forum in 2007, even since I began reading the blog in 2005, Ive never seen anything quite like the Islamic State of Iraq and Sham or ISIS. I joined RI at the height of the Anbar/Baghdad sectarian civil war, with agenda interests stoking both Iranian Quds backed Shiite militians and al Qaeda in Iraq/Sunni extremist militians and daily car bomb massacres.

But this ISIS thing of 2014...from both alternative and mainstream media, they are allegedly in a few days about to control the entire region between the border with Turkey in Syria to a few miles east of Baghdad.
That's...insane.

In a way it almost feels like "Da'esh"/ISIS/ISIL/IS" whatever ya wanna call em were almost intentionally allowed to take over rather than "we were caught off guard". Two and a half months of US and coalition airstrikes, and they are coming closer(allegedly) controlling most of Iraq and half of Syria with obvious sights on Jordan and Lebanon. Mainstream hollywood quality propaganda films and trailers. (alleged) Pol Pol and Imperial Japan level mass attrocities. And a slick online magazine that boasts of kidnapping and rape enslaving Kurdish women.

Taking over the two main dams at one point, blowing up the Biblical tomb of Jonah, threating the Suleymon Shah temple, blowing up ancient Shiite tembles...trying to wipe out the Kurds and Yazidis.

I actually dont think ISIS is overhype or propaganda, but a really nasty incubated hacker like program unleashed by the powers that be. And Im curious,
where do you all see this heading?

None of my near 1000 friends on Facebook nor any other friends have referenced the ISIS situation, just Ebola. Tho of course the media cant shut up about the situation.
But it feels so David Lynch Twilight Zone-ish. Years of post 9/11 political/conspiracy discussions and debate, real politik deep state talks...and now...we are here.
What the heck is going on? Is this a phenomenon engineered to draw a lot of western powers into one location for something really troubling?
"Do you know who I am? I am the arm, and I sound like this..."-man from another place, twin peaks fire walk with me
8bitagent

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Your Take On The ISIS Phenomenon

Postby 82_28 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:31 am

Honestly, watching the news tonight and hearing both "ISIS is now 10 miles outside of Baghdad" and then "8 miles outside of Baghdad" I flashed on this:

http://www.noradsanta.org/

It has a self same certain appeal to horror/terror (real, not funhouse) for kids growing up there as xmas has "here". Just as fake and just as profitable -- yet all something to await. I dunno. Just the way the media is approaching this made me think of that awaiting Santa feeling, only opposite.

There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby semper occultus » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:11 am

Is this a phenomenon engineered to draw a lot of western powers into one location for something really troubling?

..an October Surprise...?
semper occultus

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:02 am

Wombaticus Rex

Postby minime » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:45 am

Okay, I'll say it...

Read my lips...

Keyword hijacking.
minime

Postby operator kos » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:48 am

Al-CIA-duh 2.0
operator kos

Postby MacCruiskeen » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:51 am

Short answer: I see it heading towards World War III. In fact I think it's safe to say we're in the early stages of it already. It's just being fought mainly on the periphery*, so far. Latest grim joke is the War on Ebola (ffs), now being fought by thousands of US Marines in the oil-rich parts of Africa.

ISIS provides another handy excuse to fuck up the planet for profit. See Naomi Klein, The Shock Doctrine, passim. The huge profits of destruction are followed by the huge profits of reconstruction, and the erasing of competitors (both material and ideological) is a large added extra.

The US Empire already imports around half its oil, and rising. The US peak of production came in the 1970s. The global Peak was passed in or around 2007. Russia and China (to name but two huge nuclear-armed nation-states) are competing for the same scarce and ever-scarcer (but utterly essential) resource. The Ukraine fiasco was and is a very worrying sign that the US is prepared to provoke an actual war with Russia (ffs), and to push its allies (including fucking Germany, ffs) into supporting it all the way.

TL; DR: We're fucked.

* But look at any atlas: what's not "periphery", to the USA? Its very geographical isolation is one of the things that has always made it so dangerous to world peace. It can't be invaded and it can't be conquered, and this has allowed it to act with impunity. The USA has practically nothing to fear from any other nation-state -- except competition for the world's dwindling resources and saturated markets. Which is inevitable and now taking place.
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby MacCruiskeen » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:54 am

WTF? I'm turning into 82_28. My fucking posts will soon consist entirely of variations on the word "fuck", ffs.

What is there left to say indeed, when all is said and fucking done.
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby minime » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:02 pm

MacCruiskeen » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:51 am wrote:Short answer: I see it heading towards World War III. In fact I think it's safe to say we're in the early stages of it already. It's just being fought mainly on the periphery*, so far. Latest grim joke is the War on Ebola (ffs), now being fought by thousands of US Marines in the oil-rich parts of Africa.

ISIS provides another handy excuse to fuck up the planet for profit. See Naomi Klein, The Shock Doctrine, passim. The huge profits of destruction are followed by the huge profits of reconstruction, and the erasing of competitors (both material and ideological) is a large added extra.

The US Empire already imports around half its oil, and rising. The US peak of production came in the 1970s. The global Peak was passed in or around 2007. Russia and China (to name but two huge nuclear-armed nation-states) are competing for the same scarce and ever-scarcer (but utterly essential) resource. The Ukraine fiasco was and is a very worrying sign that the US is prepared to provoke an actual war with Russia (ffs), and to push its allies (including fucking Germany, ffs) into supporting it all the way.

TL; DR: We're fucked.

* But look at any atlas: what's not "periphery", to the USA? Its very geographical isolation is one of the things that has always made it so dangerous to world peace. It can't be invaded and it can't be conquered, and this has allowed it to act with impunity. The USA has practically nothing to fear from any other nation-state -- except competition for the world's dwindling resources and saturated markets. Which is inevitable and now taking place.

Excellent. Now, amend your thinking to shift the culpability to those actually responsible, and we'll be almost in complete agreement.
minime

Postby MacCruiskeen » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:06 pm

Me no comprendy, minime.

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby minime » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:11 pm

MacCruiskeen » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:06 am wrote:Me no comprendy, minime.

I thought I was being clear. I suggest that your assignation of guilt is naive.
minime

Postby MacCruiskeen » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:13 pm

minime » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:11 am wrote:
MacCruiskeen » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:06 am wrote:Me no comprendy, minime.

I thought I was being clear. I suggest that your assignation of guilt is naive.

Me no comprendy, minime.

(We can carry on like this forever, if you carry on insisting on being so coy.)

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby minime » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:30 pm

"The huge profits of destruction are followed by the huge profits of reconstruction, and the erasing of competitors (both material and ideological) is a large added extra."

Could have sworn I bolded this in my quote. This is the excellent part.
minime

Postby MacCruiskeen » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:48 pm

Here's a very sobersided German business site ("German Economic News" - no lefties they!) pointing out that the US is fighting an economic war against Russia by forcing Saudi Arabia to keep the oil price artificially low. Note that they use the actual word "war" (Krieg) in both the headline and the first paragraph:

Öl-Krieg

USA wollen Putin mit niedrigem Öl-Preis in die Knie zwingen
Deutsche Wirtschafts Nachrichten | Veröffentlicht: 12.10.14, 10:35 | 41 Kommentare

Auf Drängen der USA hat Saudi-Arabien seine Öl-Produktion massiv ausgeweitet. Dies hat entscheidend dazu beigetragen, dass der Ölpreis seit Juni um rund 20 Prozent eingebrochen ist. Der Preisverfall schadet vor allem Russland, das den Großteil seiner Staatseinnahmen aus dem Export von Öl und Gas bezieht. Sollte Saudi-Arabien den Öl-Krieg fortsetzen, droht Putin erstmals ein deutliches Staatsdefizit.

http://deutsche-wirtschafts-nachrichten ... e-zwingen/

Translation:

Oil War

USA Want Low Oil Price To Force Putin To His Knees

Deutsche Wirtschafts Nachrichten | Published: October 12, 2014, 10:35 | 41 comments

On the USA's insistence, Saudi Arabia has massively increased its oil production. This has contributed decisively to a collapse in the price of oil by around 20% since June. The fall in prices mainly hurts Russia, which makes most of its national income from the export of oil and gas. If Saudi Arabia maintains this oil war, Putin is threatened for the first time with a substantial state deficit.

http://deutsche-wirtschafts-nachrichten ... e-zwingen/

Now what was that about Al Qaeda S*M*E*R*S*H The Commies ISIS? What part of the world are they in again? What valuable substance is that part of the world full of? We have a responsibilty to protect (R2P) that substance those people there, right? Bombs away.

Or maybe it's all just coincidence.

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby norton ash » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:53 pm

My take? That depends on what your definition of 'is' is.
Zen horse
norton ash

Next

Return to General Discussion