My life as a Kubrick Nut

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: My life as a Kubrick Nut

Postby elfismiles » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:51 am

Yes the history of CWO is full of intrigue...

elfismiles » 28 Mar 2014 20:09 wrote:1961 Simulmatics='64 novels-Simulacron-3, The Simulcra,480
Post by Hugh Manatee Wins » 16 May 2012 04:17

Hat tip to Robert Guffey, author of Cryptoscatology…
http://cryptoscatology.blogspot.com/201 ... kwork.html

The Intelligence Codes in A Clockwork Orange

Anthony Burgess and the Top Secret Code in ‘A Clockwork Orange’
“Lewis was told by his source that A Clockwork Orange was about:
<snip>
To read the entire article, click HERE.
http://dangerousminds.net/comments/anth ... ork_orange
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby The Consul » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:03 pm

Every part is a secret from every other part. The shooting script is just something to hold onto, a map for the tracks, the lighting, the crew, the producers. Col. Dax, the thinking soldier, a man with a tortured soul and conscience is still just a ColD ax. Every part is secretly peeking into the parts that enfold it, like an eye briefly glimpsing the myriad of what we feel but cannot see. The hidden hands of history. The naked ghosts of ecstasy. Napolean struggling not to see the world as something that has projected from his fierce will & intelligence. Come into the costume shop. You ask me how does it look? The secret is....in the details, each like a tiny hole in the fence around a vast construction site. What Ann Sexton said about looking down outside the publisher's office and seeing all these cars and buildings outside how they were once just ideas in someone's head. Kubrick was no fourteen carat clown. Every part of the universe is moving away from every other part. In general. It's not what I want as a matter of supremacy, rather, it's a choice that's made and it's just the only thing that will work. He wasn't always right. But that wasn't the point, was it?
" Morals is the butter for those who have no bread."
— B. Traven
The Consul

Blog: View Blog (13)

Postby Jerky » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:50 pm

Wow, Consul. Well said.

YOPJ
Jerky

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Pele'sDaughter » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:51 pm

Did anyone catch the new Simpson's Halloween special?

http://www.slashfilm.com/the-simpsons-c ... y-kubrick/

Sunday on Twitter, former Simpsons consultant Brad Bird said “In The Simpsons universe, Christmas comes at Halloween; all stops are pulled, budgets are increased, no holds are barred.” He was referring to the show’s annual Treehouse of Horror event, which celebrated its 25th anniversary on Sunday. The highlight of the show’s three segments (all of which were pretty fantastic) was A Clockwork Yellow. The story reimagined Moe, Homer, Lenny and Carl as Alex and his droogs from Stanley Kubrick‘s A Clockwork Orange. It borrowed dialogue, settings, shots, and music; in the story things get weird, and eventually just nosedive down a Kubrickian rabbit hole. It’s a much-watch for fans of The Simpsons and Kubrick alike.

I had a great time finding all of the references. There's a bit of Kubrick's other work parodied in it as well. Unlike A Clockwork Orange, A Clockwork Yellow had me in laughing out loud. I don't think my son or his wife have seen it, so I suggested we watch the movie.
Don't believe anything they say.
And at the same time,
Don't believe that they say anything without a reason.
---Immanuel Kant
Pele'sDaughter

Postby Jerky » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:58 pm

I'm preparing a catalog of all the Kubrick references in that episode for my blog. I've done the same for an Imagine Dragons music video, where I found 15, including some rather obscure ones.

"At the 1:00 mark, we get a really clever and subtle one. The licence plate on the yellow VW Bug reads V1I707. Not ringing a bell? Try looking at it upside down and in a mirror, in which case it looks a hell of a lot like LOLITA!"

And, yes, I know (and point out) that the VW bug is also a reference!

http://kubricku.blogspot.ca/2014/09/sta ... agons.html

YOPJerky
Jerky

Postby elfismiles » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:07 pm

A while back someone around these parts suggested I listen to an interview with Weidner on Kubrick and the Archons ... and in that interview he alluded to this Imagine Dragons video which I then tracked down and thoroughly enjoyed for all its Kubrickian-Conspiracy-Hat-Tipping. :thumbsup

Jerky » 21 Oct 2014 19:58 wrote:I'm preparing a catalog of all the Kubrick references in that episode for my blog. I've done the same for an Imagine Dragons music video, where I found 15, including some rather obscure ones.

"At the 1:00 mark, we get a really clever and subtle one. The licence plate on the yellow VW Bug reads V1I707. Not ringing a bell? Try looking at it upside down and in a mirror, in which case it looks a hell of a lot like LOLITA!"

And, yes, I know (and point out) that the VW bug is also a reference!

http://kubricku.blogspot.ca/2014/09/sta ... agons.html

YOPJerky
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby Iamwhomiam » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:35 pm

Thanks, Jerky. I'll be sure to read your articles. Kubrick is a mystery to me. I also found CWO revolting and will never again view its violence. I really don't enjoy movies with lots of violence, but I do feel I learned more about myself than I would have had I not seen NBK.

Which I feel is an RI movie. The inquisitive writer wanting to get inside the head of a spree mass-murderer does, quite accidentally. The peace-loving reporter faced with becoming just that himself, a murderer.

So what was it that I learned? I learned that at the height of an adrenalin rush watching a fight scene, Kubrick make me laugh and that's disgusting and disturbing.

I referred to this movie as one of the best for twisting viewers emotions, bringing you to a familiar but foreign place within, where all your convictions are shaken after being stirred.

The most memorable scene was when Duchovney smacked Pitt in the face with a shovel - at first you think it's over, but then a bloodied Pitt rises and laughingly mocking says to Duchovney, "You feel powerful now?"

It absolutely broke me up laughing. And I found that terribly disturbing and scary.
And in that lies Kubrick's genius. To do that to his viewers at the moment of his choosing; to find that place deep inside where conflicting emotions cause spiritual turmoil. To summarize, He's good at giving you those "WTF?" moments.

I went to see 2001 when it was first released. I expected a Star Wars type flick. And for the last 45 years I still wonder as I did when leaving the theater, WTF was that?

Just two days ago I related that scene to another as one of the best in cinema. And that too, is disturbing still.
Iamwhomiam

Postby norton ash » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:28 am

The most memorable scene was when Duchovney smacked Pitt in the face with a shovel - at first you think it's over, but then a bloodied Pitt rises and laughingly mocking says to Duchovney, "You feel powerful now?"

The movie you're thinking of is Kalifornia, similar subject and time-period to Natural Born Killers, and both had Juliette Lewis in the role of the killer's girlfriend. (She was a killer herself in NBK, but an absolute victim in both films.)

To get back to Kubrick... I was strongly urging a friend a few weeks back who'd passed on Eyes Wide Shut over the years because he can't stand Cruise and Kidman (has COS issues as well) and was appalled by Kubrick's casting choice. I argued that they were perfect for the roles of emotionally blank, privileged, damaged people in deep denial. That spring-boarded into how Kubrick wanted the audience to dislike Shelly Duvall-Wendy in The Shining and tales of the film's production suggest that he was quite cruel to her during filming-- he wanted her character to seem fully boggled and broken. The grace note to the conversation was his telling me of his decision that when his son turned 10 that it was time to show him Spartacus and Paths of Glory.
Zen horse
norton ash

Postby Neither » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:25 pm

Rob Ager has some very deep film analyses of Kubrick's movies. Too bad most of them seem to be currently offline. The clockwork ones are at least left:

clockwork analysis

THE LUDOVICO LIE

A Clockwork Orange, Nazis and the European Union

Neither

Postby Plutonia » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:40 am

This is pretty hilarious:

[the British] government always kept a kind of standing army of news writers who without any regard to truth, or to what should be like truth, invented & put into the papers whatever might serve the minister

T Jefferson,
Plutonia

Previous

Return to General Discussion