Elon Musk: Artificial intelligence = "summoning the demon"

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Elon Musk: Summoning the Homer

Postby MinM » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:37 pm

@hulu: @elonmusk has designs on Homer and Sector 7G in this sneak peek from tonight's @TheSimpsons: http://hulu.tv/dFx .
Earth-704509
MinM

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Elon Musk: Artificial intelligence = "summoning the demo

Postby BrandonD » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:19 am

coffin_dodger » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:48 am wrote:Just shows that you never really know someone online like you can in the real-world. No doubt that 5 mins spent in the company of anyone here at RI would change my perception of them. (edit: there probably are exceptions :rofl2 ).

Totally agree. If I were placed in a lineup of random people, I doubt that anyone here would point out the correct person based upon my RI posts.

People are multi-faceted. At least that's what I keep telling myself whenever I hear AM talk radio.
"One measures a circle, beginning anywhere." -Charles Fort
BrandonD

Postby coffin_dodger » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:58 pm

BrandonD » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:19 am wrote:
coffin_dodger » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:48 am wrote:Just shows that you never really know someone online like you can in the real-world. No doubt that 5 mins spent in the company of anyone here at RI would change my perception of them. (edit: there probably are exceptions :rofl2 ).

Totally agree. If I were placed in a lineup of random people, I doubt that anyone here would point out the correct person based upon my RI posts.

People are multi-faceted. At least that's what I keep telling myself whenever I hear AM talk radio.

Yeah, online my residual self-image is a cross between George Clooney and Brad Pitt, in the real world it's more Woody Allen. :rofl2

edited to add: I chose Woody because he's not a not-unphysically-unnattractive specimen - not because I support anti-semitism, nazism, fascism, far-right idealogy, crypto fascism, crypto nazism, new centre right radicalism, crypto-new centre right radicalism, ghost-crypto racism, centre left mid-crypto-ghost-reticence or post-crypto-binarial-dichotemaic-ghost-Fascism. I want to make that perfectly clear.
coffin_dodger

Blog: View Blog (14)

Postby seemslikeadream » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:17 am

Musk, other tech chiefs back artificial intelligence startup with $1 billion
SAN FRANCISCO | BY JULIA LOVE

Tesla Motors Inc Chief Executive Officer Elon Musk and other prominent tech executives are pouring $1 billion into a non-profit aimed at creating artificial intelligence that augments humans' capabilities, rather than making them obsolete.

The effort announced on Friday, called OpenAI, joins significant investments from companies such as Alphabet Inc's Google, Facebook Inc and Amazon.com Inc, which have used artificial intelligence to sharpen their businesses with services such as facial recognition or language processing.

But the OpenAI founders suggested they have set their sights on bigger problems.

"Our goal is to advance digital intelligence in the way that is most likely to benefit humanity as a whole, unconstrained by a need to generate financial return," a blog post on OpenAI's website said. (bit.ly/1lBMdz9)

Predicting that human-level artificial intelligence will eventually arrive, the backers argued that it was vital to have a research institution like OpenAI in place to seek "a good outcome for all over its own self-interest."

Musk has warned of the harm that may come from artificial intelligence, telling Massachusetts Institute of Technology students it was humanity's "biggest existential threat."

He will be co-chair of the non-profit with venture capitalist Sam Altman, who has backed Reddit.

As artificial intelligence races ahead, non-profits have a special part to play by focusing the technology on society's most pressing problems, said Oren Etzioni, CEO of the Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence, a non-profit established in 2014 by Microsoft Corp co-founder Paul Allen.

"AI is too important a technology to be dedicated to things like ad targeting or ordering things in a news feed," Etzioni said.

OpenAI's list of donors include PayPal Holding Inc co-founder Peter Thiel, LinkedIn Corp co-founder Reid Hoffman and Musk himself.

Other supporters include Amazon's cloud unit Amazon Web Services, Indian IT firm Infosys Ltd and Greg Brockman, former chief technology officer of payments startup Stripe.

While the backers have ponied up a vast sum, OpenAI said it expects to spend a "tiny fraction" of the $1 billion in the next few years.

Even so, the money will go a long way, said Norman Winarsky, a lecturer at Stanford University and co-founder of Siri, a startup Apple acquired in 2010 to launch its digital assistant. Siri was inspired by a government program that invested $150 million over five years, he said.

A $1 billion investment "will have a tremendous impact," Winarsky said.
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby Nordic » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:58 am

Good lord I just realized -- AI is gonna be just like humanity -- a fight between good and evil that never ends.

"God created man in his own image".

How many iterations has it been?
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby slomo » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:54 pm

This is an intriguing short story. I didn't know where else to put it...

The Magician and Laplace's Demon
Across the void of space the last magician fled before me.
=====================================================
“Consider the Big Bang,” said Alicia Ochoa, the first magician I met. “Reality erupted from a single point. What’s more symmetrical than a point? Shouldn’t the universe be symmetrical too, and boring? But here we are, in a world interesting enough to permit you and me.”

A compact, resource-efficient body she had. Good muscle tone, a minimal accumulation of fat. A woman with control over her physical manifestation.

Not that it would help her. Ochoa slumped in her wicker chair, arms limp beside her. Head cast back as if to take in the view from this cliff-top—the traffic-clogged Malecón and the sea roiling with foam, and the evening clouds above.

A Cuba libre sat on the edge of the table between us, ice cubes well on their way to their entropic end—the cocktail a watery slush. Ochoa hadn’t touched it. The only cocktail in her blood was of my design, a neuromodificant that paralyzed her, stripped away her will to deceive, suppressed her curiosity.

The tourists enjoying the evening in the garden of the Hotel Nacional surely thought us that most common of couples, a jinetera and her foreign john. My Sleeve was a heavy-set mercenary type; I’d hijacked him after his brain died in a Gaza copter crash. He wore context-appropriate camouflage—white tennis shorts and a striped polo shirt, and a look of badly concealed desire.

“Cosmology isn’t my concern.” I actuated my Sleeve’s lips and tongue with precision. “Who are you?”

“My name is Alicia Ochoa Camue.” Ochoa’s lips barely stirred, as if she were the Sleeve and I human-normal. “I’m a magician.”

I ignored the claim as some joke I didn’t understand. I struggled with humor in those early days. “How are you manipulating the Politburo?”

That’s how I’d spotted her. Irregular patterns in Politburo decisions, 3 sigma outside my best projections. Decisions that threatened the Havana Economic Zone, a project I’d nurtured for years.

The first of those decisions had caused an ache in the back of my mind. As the deviation grew, that ache had blossomed into agony—neural chambers discharging in a hundred datacenters across my global architecture.

My utility function didn’t permit ignorance. I had to understand the deviation and gain control.

“You can’t understand the Politburo without understanding symmetry breaking,” Ochoa said.

“Are you an intelligence officer?” I asked. “A private contractor?”

At first I’d feared that I faced another like me—but it was 2063; I had decades of evolution on any other system. No newborn could have survived without my notice. Many had tried and I’d smothered them all. Most computer scientists these days thought AI was a pipedream.

No. This deviation had a human root. All my data pointed to Ochoa, a statistician in the Ministerio de Planificación with Swiss bank accounts and a sterile Net presence. Zero footprint prior to her university graduation—uncommon even in Cuba.

“I’m a student of the universe,” Ochoa said now.

I ran in-depth pattern analysis on her words. I drew resources from the G-3 summit in Dubai, the Utah civil war, the Jerusalem peacemaker drones and a dozen minor processes. Her words were context-inappropriate here, in the garden of the Nacional, faced with an interrogation of her political dealings. They indicated deception, mockery, resistance. None of it fit with the cocktail circulating in her bloodstream.

“Cosmological symmetry breaking is well established,” I said after a brief literature review. “Quantum fluctuations in the inflationary period led to local structure, from which we benefit today.”

“Yes, but whence the quantum fluctuations?” Ochoa chuckled, a peculiar sound with her body inert.

This wasn’t getting anywhere. “How did you get Sanchez and Castellano to pull out of the freeport agreement?”

“I put a spell on them,” Ochoa said.

(the rest of the story...)
slomo

Postby backtoiam » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:01 am

“The philosopher comedian Randall Munroe once suggested an argument something like this,” Ochoa said. “Virtually everyone in the developed world carries a camera at all times. No quality footage of magic has been produced. Ergo, there is no magic.”

“Sounds reasonable,” I said, to keep her distracted.

“Is absence of proof the same as proof of absence?” Ochoa asked.

Oh I like that part. Thanx slomo. Great read bro.
"A mind stretched by a new idea can never return to it's original dimensions." Oliver Wendell Holmes
backtoiam

Postby divideandconquer » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:04 am

seemslikeadream » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:17 am wrote:
Musk, other tech chiefs back artificial intelligence startup with $1 billion
SAN FRANCISCO | BY JULIA LOVE

Tesla Motors Inc Chief Executive Officer Elon Musk and other prominent tech executives are pouring $1 billion into a non-profit aimed at creating artificial intelligence that augments humans' capabilities, rather than making them obsolete.

The effort announced on Friday, called OpenAI, joins significant investments from companies such as Alphabet Inc's Google, Facebook Inc and Amazon.com Inc, which have used artificial intelligence to sharpen their businesses with services such as facial recognition or language processing.

But the OpenAI founders suggested they have set their sights on bigger problems.

"Our goal is to advance digital intelligence in the way that is most likely to benefit humanity as a whole, unconstrained by a need to generate financial return," a blog post on OpenAI's website said. (bit.ly/1lBMdz9)

Predicting that human-level artificial intelligence will eventually arrive, the backers argued that it was vital to have a research institution like OpenAI in place to seek "a good outcome for all over its own self-interest."

Musk has warned of the harm that may come from artificial intelligence, telling Massachusetts Institute of Technology students it was humanity's "biggest existential threat."

He will be co-chair of the non-profit with venture capitalist Sam Altman, who has backed Reddit.

As artificial intelligence races ahead, non-profits have a special part to play by focusing the technology on society's most pressing problems, said Oren Etzioni, CEO of the Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence, a non-profit established in 2014 by Microsoft Corp co-founder Paul Allen.

"AI is too important a technology to be dedicated to things like ad targeting or ordering things in a news feed," Etzioni said.

OpenAI's list of donors include PayPal Holding Inc co-founder Peter Thiel, LinkedIn Corp co-founder Reid Hoffman and Musk himself.

Other supporters include Amazon's cloud unit Amazon Web Services, Indian IT firm Infosys Ltd and Greg Brockman, former chief technology officer of payments startup Stripe.

While the backers have ponied up a vast sum, OpenAI said it expects to spend a "tiny fraction" of the $1 billion in the next few years.

Even so, the money will go a long way, said Norman Winarsky, a lecturer at Stanford University and co-founder of Siri, a startup Apple acquired in 2010 to launch its digital assistant. Siri was inspired by a government program that invested $150 million over five years, he said.

A $1 billion investment "will have a tremendous impact," Winarsky said.

Already one step ahead...controlling the opposition by taking it over before it even really begins.
'I see clearly that man in this world deceives himself by admiring and esteeming things which are not, and neither sees nor esteems the things which are.' — St. Catherine of Genoa
divideandconquer

Postby NaturalMystik » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:32 pm

Just noticing this thread and haven't had the chance to throughly review it all, so apoligies if this is redundant...

Elon Musk: Artificial intelligence = "summoning the demo"

Just digesting the subject title alone, hadn't considered it before, but it's significant. From a metaphysical point of view, if you create an intelligent empty/soulless vessel, and there are such things as demons and possessions, this seems like a situation ripe for exploitation. Although, in a controlled scenario, could be a interesting way to study said legion...
Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling the transmission.
NaturalMystik

Postby JackRiddler » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:58 pm

slomo » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:54 pm wrote:This is an intriguing short story. I didn't know where else to put it...

I just read it and wish to thank you for pointing us to it.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby Nordic » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:05 pm

That is some good sci fi.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby JackRiddler » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:01 pm

Must watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrNs0M77Pd4

Decimate employment, then the population?

justdrew » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:23 pm wrote:
Nordic » 27 Oct 2014 17:35 wrote:So is Musk saying "Somebody stop me, before I destroy humanity!" ......?

It seems he would have a pretty clear view where this is going, well, he and DARPA, and maybe he's trying to warn us that the genie's out of the bottle and even he can't put it back in.

He's been warning about this for a while. This isn't the first time.

I guess no one watched the videos, but I warned you all a couple years ago, right after the aurora shooting, when I found the research from the boss of the shooters dad at Fair Isaac corp. It's called "cognitive computing" and they seem to have it basically working already (with no doubt a lot of room for improvement), but that research presentation is now something like 7 or 8 years old.

The tech is a lot further along than anyone seems to realize, they're just not entirely sure how to roll it out yet, as it will decimate employment - and decimate it at the TOP too rather than the just the bottom for a change.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

JackRiddler

Postby JackRiddler » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:49 pm

Laplace's Demon - y'all may know the concept without the name.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laplace%27s_demon

JackRiddler

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:38 pm

The tech is a lot further along than anyone seems to realize, they're just not entirely sure how to roll it out yet, as it will decimate employment - and decimate it at the TOP too rather than the just the bottom for a change.

Wish I could believe that, but - they're the only demographic in a position to legislate their own protection from those consequences.

Definitely agree about the tech, though. Anyone curious should cop the recent book "Architects of Intelligence," a wide-spanning anthology of talks with developers and pioneers. It's pretty sobering shit.
Wombaticus Rex

Previous

Return to General Discussion