Bill Cosby abuse allegations

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Bill Cosby abuse allegations

Postby norton ash » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:21 am

Horde legionnaire Corkingiron pointed out this e-mail which he's received purportedly authored by Bill Cosby. An excerpt: I'm tired of being told that I have to "spread the wealth" to people who don't have my work ethic. I'm tired of being told the government will take the money I earned, by force if necessary, and give it to people too lazy to earn it.

Jesus Christ, leave this bullshit out. It's as old as your FOX-viewing Grandma's Facebook page, and Cosby never said or wrote it. Sometimes Snopes is your friend.

EDIT: Knee-jerk mistake, sorry. The Atlantic piece was lazy, but it at least semi-contextualized the bullshit 'Cosby' chain-mails. Maybe it's because I deal with this fucking bullshit on a daily basis-- I read the opening lines and thought only ' right, this one again.' It never gets old, like the American Airlines pilot who doesn't trust Muslims, or the school principal taking his brave stand to serve pork, or the bird-feeder one about immigrants. You get them from the same people who send you puppy and kitten vids... that internet senior citizen megamix of sentimentality and hate literature.
Zen horse
norton ash

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Iamwhomiam » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:29 pm

Hunter wrote:
The list is long, so can we separate Cosby the man from Cosby the artist and condemn him as a man but applaud him for his work? I think we SHOULD and if we dont we are in trouble because most of these people who create wonderful lasting things that we love almost always seem to be very flawed in their personal lives.

It's very difficult to do, if not impossible. Bad people will still be creative, though their badness may not be apparent.

Should we think about the good things Jimmy Seville did? Can we any longer? I don't think it's possible to do now that we've learned what a monster he was. Should we now applaud Cosby because he actually did help a few starlets? Cosby cultivated his persona and is responsible for all his actions.

While I do enjoy some of Wagner's music, every time I do I cannot help but to think about the man's repugnant philosophy. Cosby will be similarly remembered, imo. It's a terrible thing to learn our idols have done terrible things to others and such knowledge always impacts us deeply. But not near so deeply terrible as the experience of those our onetime idols have victimized.
Iamwhomiam

Postby bks » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:45 pm

Let's be clear, I have no idea what the truth of the matter is

If you truly have no idea, then you have no idea about a great many things you think you know very well.

Do you know you are your parent's child? Chances are you were pretty young when you were born. So when did you run the dna tests? And I mean YOU, not the lab technicians or physician, because if you relied on some others to run the tests and'or process the results, there are so many potential variables to account for one could never really know the truth, you know?

What you are really saying when you say you have "no idea," IAWIA, is that it fucking terrifies you that a woman's testimony might be sufficient to lock you up. It scares you. I get it. You fear the mercurial woman.

It's OK, but I don't sympathize. I shouldn't have gotten as angry at you as I did, and I am sorry for that. But own your fear.

None of these women were listened to for a very long time, so you can relax.
Last edited by bks on Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bks

Postby Iamwhomiam » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:47 pm

For Some Fans, Accusations of Rape Crumble Bill Cosby’s Wholesome Image

By KATE ZERNIKENOV. 22, 2014

As woman after woman has come forward to accuse Bill Cosby of sexual assault, there has been growing public revulsion, but also a nagging question: Did it have to be Cliff Huxtable?

He was America’s Dad, the star and co-creator of the most-watched show in America in an era when network television drew big enough audiences to shift the national conversation. Parents and children watched together, identified themselves in the struggles big and small of the characters. Mr. Cosby’s was an old-school obstetrician, the kindly type whom women trusted to guide them to motherhood.

It has made the rising drumbeat of allegations more shattering than typical celebrity misbehavior. Particularly for Americans who grew up with “The Cosby Show,” the transformation of Mr. Cosby’s image has produced the discomfort and struggle akin to coming to terms with the dark past of a family member.

“He reminds me a lot of my own father, or he did,” said David Rhoden, 47, a computer programmer in Austin, Tex. “Let’s make that clear. Reminded me a lot of my own father.”

Julie Lemaitre protested outside the Maxwell C. King Center for the Performing Arts in Melbourne, Fla., before a show by Bill Cosby on Friday. Credit Phelan M. Ebenhack/Associated Press

While Mr. Rhoden is white, he saw in Mr. Cosby a physical resemblance and the same goofy dancing of his own father. As he spoke, Mr. Rhoden broke into an impression of Dr. Huxtable lecturing his television son, Theo.

“I thought he was teaching something,” Mr. Rhoden said. “I thought he was the kind of person you could count on to do the right thing in a not too irritating way.”

Mervan Osborne, 46, the associate head of a school in Boston that prepares low-income students for private high schools, felt it as a personal embarrassment, the loss of a hallowed icon — “You know, Cosby, a one-word guy.”

“It’s another black male authority figure, one of those people who folks that don’t live on the edges of the country think of as a good black guy; they trust that guy,” said Mr. Osborne, who is black. “I felt a real deflation, not even the outrage I should have felt if the accusations are true.”

Mr. Cosby’s role in “I Spy” and as the patient interpreter on “Fat Albert” made him a breakthrough star, television’s Jackie Robinson. “The Cosby Show,” which ran on NBC from 1984 to 1992, helped build a bridge between blacks and whites; when Los Angeles erupted in riots after the acquittal of the police officers charged in the beating of Rodney G. King, Mr. Cosby took to the air to urge protesters to stay home and to watch the final episode of the show instead. When his son Ennis was murdered in 1997, it was absorbed by many as a family tragedy.

Some black scholars criticized “The Cosby Show” for too easily soothing white households into a sense that the struggle for civil rights was over. And many blacks resented Mr. Cosby’s later moralizing about personal responsibility.

Still, “Cosby” continued to define a certain kind of sweater and a certain kind of family — educated, accomplished, kookily and happily normal.

“He implanted so many positive images, moments, subliminal pictures of what African-Americans can be,” Mr. Osborne said. The portrayal struck him as false — the families he knew in Brooklyn did not live in well-appointed townhouses in the Heights; the Cosby children’s range of skin tones made it a strain to see them as siblings. Still, he recognized the accomplishment.

“There was a time when white people used to claim, ‘I watch “Cosby” ’ as their bona fides,” he said. “While we can look at it very cynically, there’s some good in that.”

The closeness and personal pride may be what allowed people to look away when rape accusations against Mr. Cosby surfaced decades ago. And still, with at least 15 women coming forward with similar stories — of being given a drink or a pill by Mr. Cosby, then waking up feeling they had been sexually assaulted — many fans continue to point out that he has never been charged. The women, they say, must be after money.

As Mr. Cosby, now 77, took the stage in Melbourne, Fla., on Friday night as part of what was to be a comeback tour, at least two in the audience shouted out, “We love you, Bill Cosby!” To this, Mr. Cosby, wearing a “Hello Friend” sweatshirt, responded with a clenched fist above his head, and many in the crowd copied him.

His 90-minute routine was as if no storm were swirling; there were jokes about family life, petty marital fights, getting old.

Mr. Cosby’s lawyers issued a statement on Friday night, calling the allegations “increasingly ridiculous” and “unsubstantiated, fantastical,” saying he was the victim of “media vilification.”

Mr. Cosby broke what had largely been silence on the allegations in an interview with Florida Today before the show. “I know people are tired of me not saying anything,” he said, “but a guy shouldn’t have to answer to innuendos. People should fact-check.”

Mervan Osborne, 46, at his home in Cambridge, Mass., on Friday. He said the accusations against Mr. Cosby were chipping away at a hallowed icon. “I felt a real deflation,” he said. Credit Dominick Reuter for The New York Times

But for many, the increasing number of women coming forward made it hard to look away any longer. William Colburn and his wife, Carol, had intended to enter the King Center to watch Mr. Cosby’s performance in Florida on Friday but grew increasingly uneasy.

“We lost interest in going,” said Mr. Colburn, 61, who works for a car auctioneer in Orlando. “I don’t think we’d even enjoy it. He can masquerade for a while but his jokes aren’t going to be funny.”

Mr. Colburn said he was especially affected by news that NBC and Netflix had canceled Cosby projects, and that TV Land had pulled reruns of “The Cosby Show.”

“When those kinds of people start pulling the plugs,” he said, “there’s a problem somewhere.”

In Austin, Victor Obaseki, 32, said he had probably seen every episode of “The Cosby Show.”

“I don’t think that’s uncommon for African-Americans my age,” he said. As the father figure, Mr. Cosby “was hilarious and inspiring in a way,” he said. Now, Mr. Obaseki said he was “just shocked that he won’t personally address what is the growing storm.”

Dr. Beverly Gray, like the fictional Dr. Huxtable an obstetrician and gynecologist, recalled watching the show every week with her family.

Reflecting on Mr. Cosby now, she thinks of the survivors of sexual abuse she sees in her work in Durham, N.C.

“I feel like women are unable to safely report male perpetrators in our culture,” Dr. Gray, 38, said. About the show, she said: “I remember a very happy, close family. It’s the contrast between that and what you hear on the news that’s so upsetting.”

Jonathan M. Katz, Nick Madigan and David Montgomery contributed reporting.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/23/arts/bill-cosby.html

Please note: I have purposely omitted the photo of Cosby performing in Melbourne, Florida last evening that the article above opened with.
Iamwhomiam

Postby 82_28 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:15 am

I guess a nagging feeling with me is "why now" and all of a sudden? It doesn't make sense and seems to be for some occluded purpose. It makes sense but doesn't make sense. Maybe it's just because I am not a rich celebrity. But it doesn't add up as to how he went about these rapes. He would have had ample opportunity naturally without the drugging of his victims. Again, I won't defend him, but I will defend the cultural idea of him now morphing into something different. I feel this to be important. Personally, I've never cared for anything Cosby ever did (as I said above in some other comment). It just seems like the pile-on is totally meant for a different purpose which we do not know. I certainly can't put my finger on it.

That said and as much stock I have put in the work of Philip K. Dick it totally reminds me of Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said:

The novel is set in a dystopian version of 1988, following a Second Civil War which led to the collapse of the United States' democratic institutions. The National Guard ("nats") and US police force ("pols") reestablished social order through instituting a dictatorship, with a "Director" at the apex, and police marshals and generals as operational commanders in the field. Resistance to the regime is largely confined to university campuses, where radicalized former university students eke out a desperate existence in subterranean kibbutzim. Recreational drug use is widespread, and the age of consent has been lowered to twelve. Most commuting is undertaken by personal aircraft, allowing great distances to be covered in little time.

The novel begins with the protagonist, Jason Taverner, a singer, hosting his weekly TV show which has an audience of 30 million viewers. His special guest is his girlfriend Heather Hart, also a singer. Both Hart and Taverner are "Sixes", members of an elite class of genetically engineered humans. While leaving the studio, Taverner is telephoned by a former lover, who asks him to pay her a visit. When Taverner arrives at her apartment, the former lover attacks him by throwing a parasitic life-form at him. Although he manages to remove most of the life-form, parts of it are left inside him. After being rescued by Hart, he is taken to a medical facility.

Waking up the following day in a seedy hotel with no identification, Taverner becomes worried, as failure to produce identification at one of the numerous police checkpoints would lead to imprisonment in a forced labor camp. Through a succession of phone calls made from the hotel to colleagues and friends who now claim not to know him, Taverner establishes that he is no longer recognized by the outside world. He soon manages to bribe the hotel's clerk into taking him to Kathy Nelson, a forger of government documents. However, Kathy reveals that both she and the clerk are police informants, and that the lobby clerk has placed a microscopic tracking device on him. She promises not to turn Taverner over to the police on the condition that he spend the night with her. Although he attempts to escape, Kathy confronts him again after he has successfully passed a police checkpoint using the forged identity cards. Feeling in her debt, he accompanies Kathy to her apartment block, where Inspector McNulty, Kathy's police handler, is waiting. McNulty has located Taverner via the tracking device the hotel lobby clerk placed on him, and instructs Taverner to come with him to the 469th Precinct police station so that further biometric identity checks can be performed.

At the station, McNulty erroneously reports the man's name as Jason Tavern, revealing the identity of a Wyoming diesel engine mechanic. During questioning, Taverner goes along with McNulty's mistake, explaining that he no longer resembles Tavern due to extensive plastic surgery. McNulty accepts this explanation and decides to release Taverner whilst lab checks are run on the rest of the documents. He issues Taverner a seven-day police pass to ensure he can pass police checkpoints in the interim period. Deciding to lay low, Taverner heads to a Las Vegas bar in the hopes of meeting a woman with whom he can stay. Instead, he encounters a former lover, Ruth Gomen; although she no longer recognizes him, he succeeds in his bid to seduce her and is taken back to her apartment. On the orders of Police General Felix Buckman, Gomen's apartment is raided and Taverner is taken into custody, being transported immediately to the Police Academy in Los Angeles.

Buckman personally interrogates Taverner, soon reaching the conclusion that Taverner genuinely does not know why he no longer appears to exist. However, he suspects that Taverner may be part of a larger plot involving the Sixes. He orders Taverner released, although ensuring that tracking devices are again placed on him. Outside the police academy, Taverner is approached by Alys Buckman, Felix's hypersexual sister and lover. Alys removes the tracking devices from Taverner and invites him to the home she shares with her brother. On the way there, she tells Taverner that she knows he is a TV star and reveals copies of his records.

At the Buckmans' home, Taverner takes Alys up on an offer of mescaline. When he has a bad reaction to the drug, Alys goes to find him a medicine to counteract it. When she does not return, Taverner goes to search for her, only to find her skeletal remains on the bathroom floor. Frightened and confused, he flees, unsuccessfully pursued by a private security guard. To aid in his escape, he asks for the help of Mary Anne Dominic, a potter. Heading to a cafe with her, they find that one of his records is on the jukebox. When his song plays, people begin to recognize him as a celebrity. After parting with Dominic, Taverner goes to the apartment of his celebrity girlfriend Heather Hart. She returns home, horrified, and shows Taverner a newspaper mentioning that he is wanted in connection with Alys Buckman's death, the motive believed to have been his jealousy over Alys' purported relationship with Hart.

An autopsy reveals that Alys' death was caused by an experimental reality-warping drug called KR-3. The coroner explains to Felix that, as Alys was a fan of Taverner, her use of the drug caused Taverner to be transported to a parallel universe where he no longer existed. Her death then caused his reversion back to his own universe. The Police General decides to implicate Taverner in Alys' death to distract attention from his incest. The press are informed that Taverner is a suspect in the case and, wishing to clear his name, Taverner surrenders himself to the police. Heartbroken over the death of his sister, Felix returns home, suffering a nervous breakdown on the way.

In an epilogue, the final fates of the main characters are disclosed. Buckman retires to Borneo where he is assassinated soon after writing an exposé of the global police apparatus. Taverner is cleared of all charges and dies of old age, while Heather Hart abandons her celebrity career and becomes a recluse. Dominic's pottery wins an international award and her works become of great value while she lives into her eighties. KR-3 test trials are deemed too destructive and the project is abandoned. Ultimately, the revolutionary students give up and voluntarily enter forced-labor camps. The detention camps later dwindle away and close down, the government no longer posing a threat. Though it is seemingly incidental, the epilogue ends with the word "loved", suddenly and cathartically closing all of the novel's thematic threads.

If drugs were used in order to commit these crimes, it isn't out of the possibility the victims didn't actually know who it was -- but Cosby was the "go-to guy". I guess, I am ultimately asking, what did Cosby stand to gain? I am fully ready to accept that I could be being dense about this. But he could have had "any" lady he wanted in his youth without the "date rape" drugs. Thus, why did he resort to them as the story is being rolled out? It doesn't make sense. The only sense it does make is that there had to have been a subculture in which this shit went on and Cosby while possibly partaking in it, is maybe a victim of something larger and more evil that we cannot see.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby Dioneo » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:27 am

Iamwhomiam » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:47 pm wrote:For Some Fans, Accusations of Rape Crumble Bill Cosby’s Wholesome Image

By KATE ZERNIKENOV. 22, 2014

As woman after woman has come forward to accuse Bill Cosby of sexual assault, there has been growing public revulsion, but also a nagging question: Did it have to be Cliff Huxtable?

He was America’s Dad...

I am so fucking sick and tired of this shit. Is ours a society of fucking 3-year-olds?? (Don't answer that question.) Cliff Huxtable is a fictional character! And, although people know this, they act like they can't possibly square that with reality.

How fucking pathetic. What is truly disturbing is that people become so attached to the sheen of televised fiction that even decades later they can no longer separate that fictional representation from the actor who portrayed it.

If this is our level of emotional maturity, then, yeah, this place is fucked. (And, well, apparently it is.)

Mulebone was an asshole, and I understand why he had to be run off, but, ya' know, he kind of had a point.
Dioneo

Postby LilyPatToo » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:45 am

Maybe it's just that there's a certain type of male who gets off on the drugging part of rape? It's a crime of dominance anyway, isn't it? I don't see anything strange about it finally coming to light, given the lawsuit he settled years ago and his huge popularity serving as a sort of dam up until now. I'm not a fan of his and never was, so I feel little of the sense of betrayal that a lot of folks are feeling now. But I did just love Stephen Collins in Revolution and the shock of hearing about his sexual abuse of underage girls still stings, so I do get how upsetting it would be for long-time Cosby fans.

I'm also beginning to realize that I will never be able to grok the defense of rapists on the grounds that "we can't know for sure," probably due to having been sexually abused and exploited myself up until my early 30's. I understand that people want to be fair-minded, but when a woman--followed by multiple other women--speak out, it enrages me that their testimony isn't considered by so many people to be reliable evidence. I recall one owner who regularly drugged me every time I stepped aboard his yacht and I remember cut crystal dishes of sedating, memory-scrambling drugs sitting around at his parties, so please believe me when I say that it wasn't just media personalities who were drugging and raping women in the 70's and 80's. To my knowledge, no one ever reported the crimes against women that happened at those parties. The male guests sat on the boards of the huge corporations of the day and thought themselves untouchable.

Unlike Cosby's victims (the ones we know about), I and the other women like me were too thoroughly broken in mind and spirit to dream of speaking up. Cosby was so sure of his immunity from the law that he chose young women with far greater likelihood of someday finding their voices. To me he was far more foolhardy than Savile and I don't find it odd at all that his arrogance has come back to bite him on the ass. I just wish all the rich old predators were being called out right now.

LilyPat
LilyPatToo

Postby Dioneo » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:10 pm

LilyPatToo » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:45 am wrote: I understand that people want to be fair-minded, but when a woman--followed by multiple other women--speak out, it enrages me that their testimony isn't considered by so many people to be reliable evidence.

Agreed. Totally.

LilyPatToo » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:45 am wrote:Unlike Cosby's victims (the ones we know about), I and the other women like me were too thoroughly broken in mind and spirit to dream of speaking up.

And that is what further enrages me when people [almost always MEN] react by indicting the women for having waited so long, or by immediately wondering what sort of financial reward they are seeking.
Dioneo

Postby Iamwhomiam » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:36 pm

Were done, bks. You have your detached view and my detached view I cannot express more clearly. To read what I wrote, my honest expression, and to get this as your first line, "This is complete bullshit." tells me we have nothing more to discuss.

We see things differently. To summarize our differences, I seek justice for all whereas you seek vengeance against a man you believe is guilty of allegations raised against him by women neither you nor I know personally.

More than once I have said I do not know the truth of the matter, and neither do you. And that is the universal truth.

bks, is there some point to your continuing debasement of me? Is there some part of "we're done, we have nothing more to discuss" that you do not understand? You have wrongly put me in a position of defending Cosby, which I have not done. If you had asked me if I felt he was guilty, I would have said yes, I do. If you had asked me if I believed the allegations being raised against him I would have said I did.

You've most unnecessarily made some extremely distasteful remarks directed to me. You do not know me. WE are done.

Had there been any substantial evidence affirming the allegations, he would have been arrested and charged. The web's been up for more than a decade, an ideal medium for communicating instantly to a worldwide audience. I find it odd, though perhaps good reason exists, that there's been nothing I've come across sharing such allegations online.

LilyPat, I understand well that trauma can induce silence in victims of sexual predators; so can a statute of limitation cause some who had found their voice to remain silent, believing there's no use in pursuing justice. Also I believe some victims would not want to be exposed to having relive the worst experience of their life testifying and being cross examined. I believe there are many sound reasons for a victim of sexual abuse to remain silent.

What's astounding to me is that it blew open after a comedian's briefest mention of him being a rapist.

I don't recall Cosby's past behaviors being discussed anytime in my 7 years here, so it seems to have been news to most of us. I had never before read of such allegations anywhere or of the court settlement, whenever that occurred. To seek justice for victims and their accused is elemental to our justice system. Everyone deserves their day in court, even monsters. Please do not confuse my cry for justice for all as defending what most of us believe is such a monster.

That said, I'm glad his accusers have found the courage to finally speak out. Cosby has been found guilty in the court of public opinion, sure death for an entertainer's career. Let's hope he'll be found guilty in a court of law, too.

I wish the woman who did bring Cosby to court would speak out in defiance of her agreement to remain silent. This would force Cosby to sue for breech of contract and then all would be revealed through testimony.

I'll bow out of this thread now. I've been too misunderstood by some to continue participating here.
Iamwhomiam

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:39 pm

82_28 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:15 am wrote:But it doesn't add up as to how he went about these rapes. He would have had ample opportunity naturally without the drugging of his victims.

If drugs were used in order to commit these crimes, it isn't out of the possibility the victims didn't actually know who it was -- but Cosby was the "go-to guy". I guess, I am ultimately asking, what did Cosby stand to gain? I am fully ready to accept that I could be being dense about this. But he could have had "any" lady he wanted in his youth without the "date rape" drugs. Thus, why did he resort to them as the story is being rolled out? It doesn't make sense. The only sense it does make is that there had to have been a subculture in which this shit went on and Cosby while possibly partaking in it, is maybe a victim of something larger and more evil that we cannot see.

Congratulations, you're not a rapist. You can't even think like one.

You're factually wrong, though, that celebrity is some sort of golden ticket for your penis. They can't get "any lady they want" because an awful lot of women actually have functional brains and thoughts of their own, and that's why celebrities and billionaires and politicians and regular good-looking guys, again and again and again and again and again and again and again, rape women and use their power to marginalize and intimidate the victims.

So maybe let's put that particular line of bullshit to bed, okay?
Wombaticus Rex

Postby norton ash » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:00 pm

Congratulations, you're not a rapist. You can't even think like one.

You're factually wrong, though, that celebrity is some sort of golden ticket for your penis. They can't get "any lady they want" because an awful lot of women actually have functional brains and thoughts of their own, and that's why celebrities and billionaires and politicians and regular good-looking guys, again and again and again and again and again and again and again, rape women and use their power to marginalize and intimidate the victims.

So maybe let's put that particular line of bullshit to bed, okay?

Word. This is about a dire form of dominance and cruelty, it's not within normal human sexuality.
Zen horse
norton ash

Postby seemslikeadream » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:23 pm

Ex-NBC Employee Claims Bill Cosby Paid Off Women
10:16 AM PST 11/23/2014 by Ryan Gajewski

Frank Scotti alleges he delivered monthly payments from Cosby to eight women between 1989-1990, some receiving as much as $2,000 at a time

Former NBC employee Frank Scotti claims Bill Cosby used to give him money to pay off women.

Scotti, who worked as a facilities manager at the Brooklyn studio where The Cosby Show was filmed, told the New York Daily News that Cosby had him hand out monthly payments to eight women between 1989-1990.

"He had everybody fooled," Scotti told the Daily News. "Nobody suspected."

Read more Bill Cosby Finds Protesters and Supporters at Florida Stand-Up Show

Scotti said the women received up to $2,000 a month, with Shawn Thompson, whose daughter Autumn Jackson alleged that Cosby was her father, reportedly receiving more than $100,000 following the 1974 start of their alleged affair. Cosby, who has faced a string of decades-old sexual abuse allegations in recent weeks, denied the paternity claim.

Scotti, who saved copies of the money orders to four women, believes that Cosby was sleeping with all the women who were getting money. "Why else would he be sending money?" Scotti asked. "He was sending these women $2,000 a month. What else could I think?"

He said that Cosby once handed him "a satchel of money, all $100 bills," and would ask Scotti to put his own name on the money orders. "He was covering himself by having my name on it," he said. "It was a cover-up. I realized it later."

One woman contacted by the Daily News, whose name was on the money order receipts, said the payments covered her son's private school tuition.

Read more 'Cosby Show' Producers Call Assault Allegations "Beyond Our Knowledge or Comprehension"

Another woman named on the receipts was Angela Leslie, who has accused Cosby of rubbing her hand on his penis in a Las Vegas hotel in 1992. Leslie told the Daily News that the money was for a plane ticket to California two years before the alleged hotel incident, although she got sick and returned the ticket.

Scotti also claimed that a New York City modeling agency would send women to Cosby's dressing room, some of whom Scotti claims were as young as 16. "'I want you to keep that one girl here,' " Scotti recalled Cosby telling him, with Cosby claiming it was to discuss a role on the show. "Then he’d tell me, 'Stand outside the door and don’t let anyone in.' " He added that Cosby had him find an apartment for one model from the agency.

Scotti said he eventually stopped working for the show because he was bothered by what Cosby was having him do. "He looked at me and said, ‘Leave right now,' " Scotti said about Cosby's reaction when he told him he wouldn't be working with him anymore.

Cosby attorney Marty Singer dismissed Scotti's allegations. "How would Scotti know if a woman was a model or a secretary?" Singer told the Daily News. "It appears that his story is pure speculation so that he can get his 15 minutes of fame." Singer has also said that the numerous abuse claims against Cosby are "utter nonsense."

Cosby has mostly remained silent on the allegations, telling a Florida paper on Friday that he doesn't have to "answer to innuendos."
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby Project Willow » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:51 pm

Quick and snarky answer as to why now these claims are finally being heard (at least one of the victims said she DID tell people, but there was little response), is that a man said it. Less snarky is that this is a reflection of gradual, ongoing changes in our culture that allow for the exposure of high profile and institutional abuse, buoyed by a younger generation of women who find themselves in greater positions of power, some of whom picked up the muddy banner of feminism and are raising their voices against rape culture.
Project Willow

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby 82_28 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:10 pm

For the record, once again, to save face, as it were. I am not defending Cosby in the least. Just that there has to be something larger at work here. This, if all of it is true does not begin and end with Cosby. I don't know anything at all about "rape culture" because I have never had a friend who would do such a thing. But again, "not that I know of".
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby bks » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:46 am

Is there some part of "we're done, we have nothing more to discuss" that you do not understand?

Just this: the remedy for you is to put me on ignore if you don't want discussion directed at you. You don't set the terms for what "we're done" means so long as I am not abusive to you. You seem to think it means: "Stop talking to me right after I have my say." It's just another thing you're confused about here.

But unless you say anything else directed at me in this exchange, I will now be done with you. You can have "no idea" as long as you like.
bks

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion