Bill Cosby abuse allegations

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Bill Cosby abuse allegations - why no scandal?

Postby RocketMan » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:25 am

Nordic » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:56 am wrote:Suddenly today I remembered there were rumors about Cosby and Lisa Bonet during the Cosby Show years. That they had had some sort of "affair" when she was still very young, ie underage. Maybe it was more of this stuff.

Just did a search but couldn't find anything.

This really makes me wonder about the murder of his son. Can't help but wonder if an angry father was behind it. Imagine if you found out this guy had drugged and raped your teenage daughter.

There's definitely something deep and dark about this guy. Now that you mention Lisa Bonet, it's worth remembering that she was fired (?) from The Cosby Show for her part in Alan Parker's Angel Heart and specifically a sex scene in said movie with Mickey Rourke. It's a good film, by the way, having to do with inter-generational Satan worship and human sacrifice ("That Old Time Religion" to those concerned) down in Loueeeeziaana. That hypocritical, roofie-dispensing piece of shit.

And Tyler Rabbit, fair enuff. Now that my righteous fury has settled, sending a dried up apple to some reporter is kinda funny, in that it is ridiculously petty and vindictive. :D
-I don't like hoodlums.
-That's just a word, Marlowe. We have that kind of world. Two wars gave it to us and we are going to keep it.
RocketMan

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby 8bitagent » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:07 am

I don't know the veracity of these claims, but what the fuck does African American Prince Albert Masons have to do with anything. I've never met a bad Mason, and black Masons had to struggle extra hard. Sorry if I don't buy this Fritzmeir David Icke "Masons=reptillian evil illuminati" meme. Adolf Hitler MURDERED over 35,000 Freemasons, hence where the saying "forget me nots" comes from
"Do you know who I am? I am the arm, and I sound like this..."-man from another place, twin peaks fire walk with me
8bitagent

when you touch me, eye can't stand my self

Postby IanEye » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:11 am

IanEye

Blog: View Blog (29)

Postby Iamwhomiam » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:24 am

I have no idea what the truth of the matter is. I know I have laughed and enjoyed Cosby's humor. Noah, for example.

He was the first African American to host his own show and the Huxtables was the first to portray a middle class black family.

He has had the finest collection of Shaker artifacts in private hands. (My friend's is second-best, if such a thing is possible.)

I'd love to read his thesis, or to know the topic of his PhD dissertation.

I wonder if it had to do with the psychological vulnerability of developing adolescents?

fruh, for restorative justice to take place, both parties must acknowledge that one is responsible for an injustice committed upon the other and both must be willing to bear the pain in understanding the role of each in such an incident. Recognition of one's wrongdoing is mandatory to engage in the practice we call restorative justice.

It's been 3 weeks since Rocket Man initiated this thread and I would say the scandal is raging. Cosby's destroyed his reputation. Everyone seems to be canceling him as he's now become a pariah.

Which is a fitting end, if the allegations are true and I do not doubt some, if not all, are. Or at least the beginning to a fitting end.

Every moment he's avoided taking responsibility for his actions is another pain-filled moment for his victim(s). How do you make right keeping someone you've hurt unnecessarily in pain for 30 years? "Hey, hey, hey" just won't cut it.
Iamwhomiam

Postby zangtang » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:37 am

putting your estate in order, leaving a significant % for restitution, an affadavit or confession fully
acknowledging your guilt to all of your victims,
and then killing yourself cleanly, with a written apology to whoever is likely to find the body.

I've always thought supplying your own bodybag, or better yet, dressing yourself in the bodybag before killing yourself, without attendant gore or splatter,
is a significant part of establishing some last remnant of any sense of nobility or responbsiblity

cf David Foster (?) Wallace (infinite jest) - 'erase your own map''
zangtang

Postby Searcher08 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:16 am

This was his Thesis title from a link on his Wiki page (on a membership site):
AN INTEGRATION OF THE VISUAL MEDIA VIA "FAT ALBERT AND THE COSBY KIDS" INTO THE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL CURRICULUM AS A TEACHING AID AND VEHICLE TO ACHIEVE INCREASED LEARNING

(my bold)

Iamwhomiam » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:24 pm wrote:I have no idea what the truth of the matter is. I know I have laughed and enjoyed Cosby's humor. Noah, for example.

He was the first African American to host his own show and the Huxtables was the first to portray a middle class black family.

He has had the finest collection of Shaker artifacts in private hands. (My friend's is second-best, if such a thing is possible.)

I'd love to read his thesis, or to know the topic of his PhD dissertation.

I wonder if it had to do with the psychological vulnerability of developing adolescents?

fruh, for restorative justice to take place, both parties must acknowledge that one is responsible for an injustice committed upon the other and both must be willing to bear the pain in understanding the role of each in such an incident. Recognition of one's wrongdoing is mandatory to engage in the practice we call restorative justice.

It's been 3 weeks since Rocket Man initiated this thread and I would say the scandal is raging. Cosby's destroyed his reputation. Everyone seems to be canceling him as he's now become a pariah.

Which is a fitting end, if the allegations are true and I do not doubt some, if not all, are. Or at least the beginning to a fitting end.

Every moment he's avoided taking responsibility for his actions is another pain-filled moment for his victim(s). How do you make right keeping someone you've hurt unnecessarily in pain for 30 years? "Hey, hey, hey" just won't cut it.
Searcher08

Postby 82_28 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:55 am

I don't know why I'm concerning myself over any of this. But, why now? I never liked the cosby show just because. However, why now, coming in tandem with this book he wrote? The death of Ennis Cosby still lingers in my mind. I'm not saying it is an issue, yet the dove-tailing of all of this media attention is quite curious.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby RocketMan » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:42 pm

Here he's normalizing roofies in the 60s. Shades of Jimmy Savile.

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninsca ... drinks.php

In it, Cosby describes being a kid and hearing about a wonder drug -- "Spanish Fly" -- that would make a girl go crazy once it was put into her drink. He presents this as a horny/goofy lark of an idea, a myth that kids buy into all over the world. More disturbingly, Cosby then describes his adult interest in such a drug, especially on a trip he took to Spain with Robert Culp of I Spy -- both Culp and Cosby, he claims, were desperate to get their hands on some Spanish Fly.

Even when I heard this bit as a kid, I wondered: Why would famous TV stars need a drug to get women interested in them? Why is sex something to lie and cheat and scheme to get, rather than something to share? Hearing it now, it's positively chilling, especially the crowd's easy laughter, which suggests that Cosby was able to put over his fantasy of women stripped of their ability to say no as something near universal. Boys will be boys, hahaha, and then refuse ever to speak of it once they become rich and powerful men.
-I don't like hoodlums.
-That's just a word, Marlowe. We have that kind of world. Two wars gave it to us and we are going to keep it.
RocketMan

Postby Iamwhomiam » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:17 pm

Thanks, Sounder. I had forgotten that.

I think every teen boy living in the late '50s and early 60s would have wanted to obtain Spanish Fly. I remember being fascinated by it.

But let's be clear - There was no understanding that it would make a woman compliant as we today understand the action of ruffies do. Just that it made a girl horny, and wanted to have sex.

Which is far different than knocking someone out with a drug and having their way with them. What we really didn't know was that teen girls were always just as horny as teen boys.

Not seeking approval or excusing criminal behavior, but really, the mindset of men who like Culp & Cosby grew up in the 40s and 50s was at best archaic by today's standards, but pretty typical of most men's attitude towards women back then.

It is an adolescent thought, at best.
Iamwhomiam

Postby Luther Blissett » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:44 pm

82_28 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:55 am wrote:I don't know why I'm concerning myself over any of this. But, why now? I never liked the cosby show just because. However, why now, coming in tandem with this book he wrote? The death of Ennis Cosby still lingers in my mind. I'm not saying it is an issue, yet the dove-tailing of all of this media attention is quite curious.

Because Hannibal Buress spoke frankly about it in an unscripted aside at a standup comedy performance here at the Tower Theater on October 16. Before the end of the night, it was getting passed around black social media a lot, building steam off of the old feeling that Hannibal tapped into about Cosby's smug anti-blackness. It continued for a few days, getting hits on blogs, local news, and smaller sites, before it reached critical mass and was appropriated by mainstream media sometime last week.
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Postby bks » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:50 pm

IamwhoIam said:
I have no idea what the truth of the matter is.

This is not neutrality. It is taking a stand that cannot be justified.

I don't know exactly how one would go about establishing the truth of his being a rapist if not by collecting the detailed testimony of victims - victims who don't know each other, who have independently offered accounts that are striking in their similarity, in several cases who are seeking no damages.

What, besides from this, would be sufficient to establish the truth of Cosby's predation? Video footage? To say you have "no idea" is, with all respect, horrifyingly stupid.

Bill Cosby is a serial rapist, and claiming to have "no idea" whether his is true is equivalent with believing 15 women across 35 years of times to be lying, and him to be telling the truth.
bks

Postby Iamwhomiam » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:13 pm

C'mon bks, I haven't seen any evidence, only allegations. I have no first-hand knowledge of any victim or of Cosby. Sorry you justify your opinions based only upon news reports, which is surprising to me to see voiced here. I haven't been privy to anything more than you and I really don't give a damned bit about Cosby. Sorry you found my rigor lacking.

I spoke truthfully. I do not know what the truth is regarding the allegations. I have no reason to doubt any allegation raised against Cosby, but neither do I have an obligation to believe what's being reported in mass media to be truthful, if I haven't witnessed the event.

A black man facing a jury down south in the 50s could use your righteous indignation. I'm sure all allegations then raised against him were certainly true, too.

So, bks, if someone says something enough times, it automatically becomes the only truth for you? No evidence, only second-hand reporting you've based your opinion on.

At least I was honest in saying I do not know what the truth is regarding this matter.
Iamwhomiam

Postby bks » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:13 pm

You've missed the point. In the South, there was a perfectly visible and easily identifiable reason white people lied about the guilt of black men. They were racists living in a racist society.

What's the equivalent reason here?

Without a compelling one, your refusal to take the testimony of 15 women against the denials of a man who's left plenty of anecdotal evidence he's guilty is a political decision, whether you see it that way or not.

Their testimony is the evidence. On your silly grounds, no one knows much of anything, since most of what passes for common knowledge isn't really known since few "witnessed" it.
bks

Postby Hunter » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:56 pm

Just want to clear up there is not testimony from 16 women, Cosby has been publicly accused by SIX (6) women, 13 other women agreed to testify in a case when one of those 6 sued for damages (her lawyer found them somehow), they never got the chance as Cosby settled for 9 million dollars. we do not know what those 13 were going to say and they can no longer comment as per settlement agreement, but they have never officially publicly accused him of rape, only 6 women have.
Last edited by Hunter on Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hunter

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:05 pm

Thanks for clarifying, Hunter. Still, SIX is six too many. And I that's just public accusations, not private. And I don't like Cosby's reaction to this AT ALL.
"Huey Long once said, “Fascism will come to America in the name of anti-fascism.” I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security."
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Blog: View Blog (37)

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion