Bill Cosby abuse allegations

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Bill Cosby abuse allegations - why no scandal?

Postby Hunter » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:28 pm

Oh I am NOT trying to to downplay it at all, to the contrary it is bad enough, we dont need to embellish it, and I am not saying anyone here has done that, the media has led us to believe its 16 people and it isnt, it is EXACTLY as I stated above, six have accused him PUBLICLY and 13 were going to testify for one of those 6 in a lawsuit but never got the chance, so we can assume they were going to testify he raped them but we dont have an actual public record of that. I just think it is important to be straight about it for arguments sake.

If I was advising Bill I would tell him in language he can understand that that Rape Victims Say The Darndest Things Too, not just Kids and this isnt going to go away, because internet, it is A Different World, Bill.

In MY EXPERIENCE it is ALWAYS the coverup that gets these people, the ones who come clean are always forgiven NOW THAT MAY NOT APPLY TO RAPE, I dont know, but if he got up there and said he was a troubled guy and he made mistakes and hurt people and he was sorry for it I BET he would get a BETTER reaction than the silence he is choosing, I may be wrong about that but history has shown me different, its the coverup not the crime that gets these people in trouble. Of course if he is innocent he should probably say so also, though I DO KIND of understand the whole "dont pay this BS any dignity by commenting on it" I do not think that is going to work in the age of the TWATTER and social media.
Hunter

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:50 pm

No, I agree with what you're saying. Remember that's how Arnold became governor. Warning: irony ahead.

ByDan CollinsCBS/APOctober 3, 2003, 6:11 AM
Arnold Apologizes To Women

California gubernatorial recall front-runner Arnold Schwarzenegger acknowledged that he has "behaved badly" to women in the past and offered an apology Thursday.

Schwarzenegger's remarks, as he kicked off a four-day bus tour of the state in the final days of the recall campaign, came after a Los Angeles Times story published Thursday in which six women accused him of sexually harassing and groping them.

"When I am governor I want to prove to the women that I will be a champion for the women, a champion of the women," Schwarzenegger said at a rally in San Diego. "Now let's go from the dirty politics to the future of California."
"Huey Long once said, “Fascism will come to America in the name of anti-fascism.” I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security."
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Blog: View Blog (37)

Postby Hunter » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:16 pm

Yes indeed, I do remember that I think Bill could get in front of this by doing something similar. I cant speak for women and say everything would then be ok for Bill if he did that, that likely would not be the case, but for the general public as a whole, it has helped a lot of people whereas the lying and coverups only HURT much worse and never get better only worse. This is going to get MUCH worse for him in the next two weeks I bet, he would be wise to get in front of it NOW.
Hunter

Postby Pele'sDaughter » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:35 pm

It's so easy to apologize after the fact. It's not like any of them were remorseful before being caught, so those apologies mean little to me. :hrumph
Don't believe anything they say.
And at the same time,
Don't believe that they say anything without a reason.
---Immanuel Kant
Pele'sDaughter

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:39 pm

AND - it's not like they change their behavior one bit AFTER they apologize. Case in point: Arnold again.
"Huey Long once said, “Fascism will come to America in the name of anti-fascism.” I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security."
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Blog: View Blog (37)

Postby Hunter » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:56 pm

Well I think it would be helpful to the victims at the very least to hear him admit what he did and apologize, even if he didnt mean it I think it would help them. But yea, I agree with you.
Hunter

Postby Nordic » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:45 pm

I'm quite sure in Arnold's case a lot of money exchanged hands to make these women "forgiving". Arnold was being groomed for big big things, including a campaign to "Amend for Arnold", to change the Constitution so he could become President.

Something like 25 million was paid out to shut everybody up about GWBush's past.

It's too late for Cosby.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby bks » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:11 am

Tarshis is the fifth woman to publicly accuse Bill Cosby of raping her. There is now a sixth: model Janice Dickinson. In a civil suit brought by Andrea Constand, some 13 women were set to testify that Cosby had raped them too. They ultimately did not testify because Constand settled with Cosby. Tarshis says she was not among those 13, and so the total number of accusers appears to now stand at 15 including Dickinson.

links at original

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainmen ... ow/382891/
bks

Postby Jerky » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:41 am

This is just terrible. Just absolutely awful. The man was a hero to me, not because of The Cosby Show (which I never much cared for - the "tough love" act wore thin with me over time), but because of The Cosby Kids and Fat Albert. LOVED that show. Just loved it to bits. And now... I can't anymore. Because of this old man's penis and his inability to behave in a human fashion with it.

Life sucks sometimes.

Jerky
Jerky

Postby Iamwhomiam » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:27 am

Jesus, bks, you're acting as though I am defending Cosby, but I'm only defending his right to offer his defense in a court of law. The right to face your accuser(s) in court to address their accusations is fundamental to English Common and American law. This human right I defend.

I'm astonished you actually wrote this,
You've missed the point. In the South, there was a perfectly visible and easily identifiable reason white people lied about the guilt of black men. They were racists living in a racist society.

And it's different today?
What's the equivalent reason here?

One equivalent reason could be that racism today for blacks in America is as it was 60 or 70 years ago. (The FBI MLK letter) That Cosby's a successful and wealthy black entertainer who has served as an inspiration to many, including those not of African descent, cannot be ignored. There seems always to be plenty of racists eager to take down an uppity black man, especially those who are successful (and earn more money than they do).

And you continue,
"Without a compelling one (reason), your refusal to take the testimony of 15 women against the denials of a man who's left plenty of anecdotal evidence he's guilty is a political decision, whether you see it that way or not."

A cry for justice for all is not such compelling reason? Have you gone daft?
Their testimony is the evidence.

Uncorroborated testimony is not evidence, but allegation, sans physical evidence. I have not read a single court transcript. I have read just a bit about the claims as reported in mass media, which is mere heresay. I have not discussed the matter with anyone claiming to have been victimized by Cosby.
On your silly grounds, no one knows much of anything, since most of what passes for common knowledge isn't really known since few "witnessed" it.

My silly grounds? Seriously? a call for justice, silly?

You know what's really silly? Me trying to defend a basic human right on RI's in a discussion with you, whom seems to think I'm defending Cosby's alleged repulsive criminal actions. I'm surprised anyone here would like to see the scumbag lynched before his day in court.

How I feel about Cosby's guilt or innocence has no bearing on the truth. I would need to read victims' testimony before believing what's reported in the media. That's not saying that what's being reported is unbelievable. Cosby hasn't been compelled to present his defense nor has he ever been charged upon complaint.

Yeah, I'm so silly sometimes I could just cry.

With regard to another's comment about Cosby's silence: It is wise for him to remain silent whether he's guilty or not. I can imagine the reaction of some had he tried to defend himself once again. If he's guilty, no good (for him) can come from his commenting.
Iamwhomiam

Postby 82_28 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:18 am

I don't know what he can do, true or false. Admit or be cagey. I just don't buy it 100%. Sure, say "yes I had sex with some ladies in my past." But I'm beginning to think that he is actually "innocent". I think that there is strong possibility that Cosby was famous, getting richer by the day, attractive when he was young, outspoken etc. I am not sticking up for him at all. I just think there is more to the story given this book, some new show in development and the cancellation of cosby show re-runs on TV. Oh and Queen Latifa saying adios.

Bearing in mind Ennis, there has to something more to this and I think we must find what that something is. Even as a kid I didn't care for the cosby show -- all the kids would talk about it at school in the morning. There has to be something more to this on a social control level. Honestly, if only Hugh was still around.

There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby bks » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:45 am

Jesus, bks, you're acting as though I am defending Cosby, but I'm only defending his right to offer his defense in a court of law.

This is complete bullshit. Who ever denied him this "right"? He has used his wealth and influence to keep his predation OUT of court. I would love for him to offer a defense in a court of law. He has absolutely no interest in it. But I'm under no requirement to give equal weigh to his obstructionism and the public testimony of the women who, jointly, have accused him in detailed fashion of serial rape spanning almost 50 years. You've advanced no reason why they should be taken to be equivalent in terms of likelihood.

One equivalent reason could be that racism today for blacks in America is as it was 60 or 70 years ago.

The racist character of the pre-war South is not equivalent to the racism of contemporary society in profound and important ways. Blacks were openly and systematically excluded from basic forms of social participation in 70 years ago. Schools were segregated. They weren't permitted to inhabit the same public spaces whites did. They were made to use separate entrances and water fountains. Black men were lynched and the perpetrators routinely went unpunished.
That Cosby's a successful and wealthy black entertainer who has served as an inspiration to many, including those not of African descent, cannot be ignored.

He's an unlikely target for the sort of covert op you're suggesting. He's an outspoken Republican social conservative who goes around verbally upbraiding blacks for perceived lack of personal discipline. He offers offers zero threat to the power structure.

I'm surprised anyone here would like to see the scumbag lynched before his day in court.

He's 77 years old, and been raping women since at least 1969. Prosecutors are notoriously skittish about bringing sexual assault and rape cases before juries because of the difficulties of proving the facts beyond a reasonable doubt in a courtroom. This prosecuor believed the victim he interviewed, and thought Cosby was lying in his own interview. He just didn't want to risk losing a case. Since rapists get tried one victim at a time, typically, it's far easier to discredit victims one at a time than if they had to deal with the collective force of their victims' testimony.

Further, when your depravity takes the form of drugging women before you rape them, you benefit from the fact that the memories the women have of the preceding moments and aftermath may be less sharp than they would have been had you not raped and drugged them. So there's that.
bks

Postby brekin » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:26 pm

I never can understand how anyone can not smoke, it deprives a man of the best part of life.
With a good cigar in his mouth a man is perfectly safe,
nothing can touch him,
literally.

Thomas Mann

The Top 100 Cigar Smokers of the Twentieth Century
45 CLARENCE THOMAS For those who fret over the hegemony of the Political Correctness Police (and who doesn't?), it is good to know that at least one confirmed cigar smoker sits on the Supreme Court. Thomas served as an assistant district attorney in Missouri, went into private practice for Monsanto, and later chaired the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. George Bush nominated him in 1991 to replace Thurgood Marshall on the Supreme Court. He is occasionally seen at Cigar Aficionado's Washington Big Smokes.

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/webfeatu ... s_8111/p/2
If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
I hang onto my prejudices, they are the testicles of my mind. Eric Hoffer
brekin

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Project Willow » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:35 pm

:lol:

Add a pic of my dad to that.
Project Willow

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Luther Blissett » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:06 pm

82_28 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:18 am wrote:I don't know what he can do, true or false. Admit or be cagey. I just don't buy it 100%. Sure, say "yes I had sex with some ladies in my past." But I'm beginning to think that he is actually "innocent". I think that there is strong possibility that Cosby was famous, getting richer by the day, attractive when he was young, outspoken etc. I am not sticking up for him at all. I just think there is more to the story given this book, some new show in development and the cancellation of cosby show re-runs on TV. Oh and Queen Latifa saying adios.

Bearing in mind Ennis, there has to something more to this and I think we must find what that something is. Even as a kid I didn't care for the cosby show -- all the kids would talk about it at school in the morning. There has to be something more to this on a social control level. Honestly, if only Hugh was still around.

Fuck that shit. Go back to my post in this thread quoting my friend who witnessed this guy groping an underage girl in front of everyone at a large public event. He's one of my closest friends and not one part of me doubts his story.
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion