Ghomeshi

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Ghomeshi

Postby Spiro C. Thiery » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:08 am

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/10/29/lucy-decoutere-jian-ghomeshi_n_6072076.html
Huff Po, eh? wrote:Toronto Star On Jian Ghomeshi Allegations: 'Trailer Park Boys' Lucy DeCoutere Says She Was Beaten
The Huffington Post Canada | By Zi-Ann Lum
Posted: 10/29/2014 9:46 pm EDT Updated: 3 hours ago

“Trailer Park Boys” actress Lucy DeCoutere has come forward saying former “Q” host Jian Ghomeshi choked and beat her, The Toronto Star reported Wednesday night.

DeCoutere is the first woman who has agreed to be identified after the newspaper published the allegations of three unnamed women who said they have been physically attacked by Ghomeshi.

Trigger warning: This article contains information about violence which may be triggering to survivors.

According to DeCoutere, she and Ghomeshi first met in in Banff in 2003. She says when she visited him in Toronto, the pair went back to his house after dinner, and had started making out when he allegedly “pushed her against a wall,” choking and slapping her.

“He did not ask if I was into it. It was never a question,” DeCoutere told the Star. “It was shocking to me. The men I have spent time with are loving people.”

MORE: Read the full Toronto Star story here.
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2014/10/29/jian_ghomeshi_8_women_accuse_former_cbc_host_of_violence_sexual_abuse_or_harassment.html

Eight women in total have come forward, all accusing the ex-host of harassment and abusive behaviour.

Earlier, an anonymous woman offered candid details on CBC Radio’s “As It Happens” about being allegedly punched in the head by Ghomeshi “repeatedly” – until her ears were ringing – on a second date.

“We were flirty, but in that flirting he grabbed my hair again – but even harder and threw me in front of him on the ground and started closed-fist pounding me in the head. Repeatedly. Until my ears were ringing,” said the woman to interviewer Carol Off.

“And I started to cry … I wasn’t expecting it.”

Ghomeshi has yet to respond to the newest set of allegations as of Wednesday evening.

The CBC announced it was ending its nearly 14-year relationship with Ghomeshi on Sunday. Citing it to be "the hardest time of [his] life," he later took to his Facebook page to share an 1,586-word explanation of his side of the story.
https://www.facebook.com/jianghomeshi/posts/10152357063881750

“I have been fired from the CBC because of the risk of my private sex life being made public as a results of a campaign of false allegations pursued by a jilted ex-girlfriend and a freelance writer,” he wrote.

Shortly after Ghomeshi’s Facebook post, Toronto Star reporter Kevin Donovan and Canadaland's Jesse Brown broke news of three separate allegations of physical attacks and one case of workplace harassment allegations levied against the former radio host.

All the women interviewed by the Star at the time wished for their identities to remain anonymous. Three of the women said Ghomeshi “physically attacked them on dates without consent.”

Ghomeshi filed a lawsuit against the CBC on Monday, claiming the broadcaster misused "personal and confidential information provided to it in confidence."

On Tuesday, the CBC confirmed an investigation into a claim of workplace sexual harassment remains ongoing.
Seeing the world through rose-colored latex.
Spiro C. Thiery

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Ghomeshi

Postby RocketMan » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:11 am

It escapes me how someone could conceive of striking people on the face with their fist more or less upon first meeting them as exciting "role play" or "rough sex"... And what's more, believe or assume that the person on the receiving end would think likewise! Jesus H. Christ on a fucking rubber cross. Of course it'd be easy to say that he never believed that to be the case, but then, why would he initiate the encounter by doing something that has a very high risk of ending it more or less immediately...? His actions and rationale seem to point to someone who is deluded that this is the way to go about pursuing rough sex.

Where do these people emanate from?

I feel somehow dirty because I enjoyed his CBC interview of Leonard Cohen I happened to find on YouTube.
-I don't like hoodlums.
-That's just a word, Marlowe. We have that kind of world. Two wars gave it to us and we are going to keep it.
RocketMan

Postby Spiro C. Thiery » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:19 am

RocketMan » 4 minutes ago wrote:It escapes me how someone could conceive of striking people on the face with their fist more or less upon first meeting them as exciting "role play" or "rough sex"... And what's more, believe or assume that the person on the receiving would think likewise! Jesus H. Christ on a fucking rubber cross. Where do these people emanate from? I feel somehow dirty because I enjoyed his CBC interview of Leonard Cohen I happened to find on YouTube.

Yeah, I liked him mostly as an interviewer. Sort of a more tolerable Chuckles Rose, mostly because he actually prepared for the interviews and asked questions that didn't seem bent on an agenda. Interestingly, just before I heard of his firing and response to it, I had just watched much of his interview with "Lorde" and found his demeanour indescribably creepy.
Spiro C. Thiery

Postby Spiro C. Thiery » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:24 am

http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/sex-lies-and-the-cbc/
How the Jian Ghomeshi scandal marks the end of shame
The sordid scandal that’s engulfed Jian Ghomeshi is a stark glimpse into web justice
Emma Teitel
October 29, 2014

Update: Since this story was published on Wednesday afternoon, four more women have come forward with allegations that Jian Ghomeshi assaulted them. One of the women, Canadian actress Lucy DeCoutere, claims Ghomeshi choked and slapped her without consent. Another woman, who remains anonymous, alleged on CBC radio Wednesday evening, that Ghomeshi punched her repeatedly in the head without warning.​

Twenty-four hours: a single, sordid day. That’s roughly how long it took for Jian Ghomeshi, beloved creator and host of CBC’s syndicated radio show, Q, to implode on a national stage. On Sunday, Oct. 26, the CBC fired the 47-year-old host for vague and mysterious reasons; new “information” had come across the CBC’s desk, it stated, which precluded the public broadcaster from continuing a relationship with Ghomeshi. Fans barely had time to guess at what those reasons were before Ghomeshi solved the mystery for them: He had been fired, he alleged, on account of his unorthodox sex life, which he detailed in a Facebook confessional that reads like something out of the television show Scandal.

“Let me be the first to say that my tastes in the bedroom may not be palatable to some folks,” he wrote, expressing what may be the understatement of the century. “But this is my private life. And no one, and certainly no employer, should have dominion over what people do consensually in their private life.” Ghomeshi’s private life, he claims in the now-viral Facebook post, is full of BDSM—bondage, discipline and sadomasochism—something he alleges he practised consensually with his sexual partners, including an ex-girlfriend of two years he does not name, but who he claims colluded with a freelance journalist to launch “a campaign of false allegations” against him. The freelance journalist he references is presumably Jesse Brown, one of two reporters who broke a story in the Toronto Star late on Sunday night detailing anonymous allegations of sexual assault and harassment made against the former Q host. (Full disclosure: Brown is my cousin.)

Ghomeshi is suing his former employer for $55 million, for defamation, breach of confidence and punitive damages, alleging that the CBC fired him because it couldn’t stomach his perfectly healthy and consensual kinky proclivities. But the four anonymous sources cited in the Toronto Star story by Brown and investigative reporter Kevin Donovan claim their experiences with Ghomeshi were not consensual.

One woman, a former Q staffer, told the Star in its published report that the host groped her rear end in the studio and whispered in her ear at a staff meeting that he’d like to “hate f–k her.” The Star reported that the other three women interviewed for the piece claimed that Ghomeshi “struck them with a closed fist or open hand; bit them; choked them until they almost passed out; covered their nose and mouth so that they had difficulty breathing.” The women told the Star they have chosen not to report their allegations to the police for the same reasons many people choose not to report sexual assault claims: They fear they’ll be discredited and humiliated in the press and on social media. Some of them told the paper they also assume that a digital trail of texts and emails with Ghomeshi, in which they suggest an interest in BDSM and rough sex, might incriminate them or, at least, discredit them further.

But emailing your partner with the suggestion that you might entertain trying out some kinky moves in the bedroom, as one or more of these women might have done, is not an open invitation for him to knock you out or choke you during sex. The law demands not merely consent before sex, but “ongoing consent,” something that’s difficult to define in the realm of BDSM and, therefore, built into the rules and rituals. “You can’t consent in advance,” says Brenda Cossman, a University of Toronto law professor who specializes in sexual behaviour and the law. Nor can you consent to an assault that causes bodily harm (except, Cossman notes, in cases of athletics—hockey and boxing, for example—where bodily harm is deemed to have “social value”). This may mean that, regardless of written or oral permission to punch, bite or choke a sexual partner, anyone who commits those acts may be in violation of Canada’s consent laws anyway.

But the letter of the law feels almost irrelevant at this juncture. It has been less than a week since the tweeted announcement from the CBC that it was cutting ties with Ghomeshi, even less since the anonymous allegations against Ghomeshi surfaced. The hashtag #GhomeshiGate has been trending on Twitter since Sunday, and public intellectuals (the kind Ghomeshi typically ingratiates himself with), from sex columnist Dan Savage to feminist author Roxane Gay have all but denounced the host on Twitter as a victim-blaming opportunist who is using BDSM to justify his alleged abuse of women. On Tuesday, Ghomeshi’s friend Owen Pallett, a well-known Canadian indie musician who has been interviewed twice on Q, wrote a Facebook status in support of the alleged victims. “At no point here will I ever give my friend Jian’s version of the truth more credence than the version of the truth offered up by three women,” he wrote. “Anonymity does not mean these women do not exist.” Even Ray Rice, the former Baltimore Ravens football player whose gruesome beating of his fiancée in a hotel elevator made the press earlier this year, had an easier time hanging onto his job amid public scrutiny. In fact, the NFL paid deeply in the media for its slow reaction to the Rice affair, which may explain why the CBC rid itself of Ghomeshi so quickly.

Social media, it seems, has not only accelerated the pace of our news cycle, it has polarized public opinion. There is no time for waffling or uncertainty in the digital age, only declarative 140-character statements. Even more important, it has driven the course of events in a way that all but circumvents the usual legal channels. No charges have been laid against Ghomeshi, and already, he is, in our eyes, either condemned or utterly blameless.

“In the 24 hours after that post went up, [Ghomeshi] had a significant increase in the number of supporters on his Facebook page,” says John Perenack, a PR expert at Strategy Corp, a communications firm in Toronto. Within three days, his post alleging he had been unfairly accused and then fired had attracted some 100,000 likes. This reality, feminists argue, is hard proof for why victims of assault do not report allegations more readily. In another era, the network and its star may have come to a quiet understanding and parted ways, and the whole situation may have never come to light. Ghomeshi might have stewed alone in his east-end Toronto home, making personal appeals to family and friends about what a great guy he is despite the “nefarious” allegations against him. But social media allows Ghomeshi to make a personal appeal to his fans directly, says digital media scholar Alfred Hermida, the author of the new book Tell Everyone. “He shifted the tone of the conversation by [posting his statement] on Facebook. He bypassed the media—so, no questions from anybody—and he’s posting to people who are more likely to believe him, people who will take up his banner.”

Before the weekend’s revelations, Ghomeshi had announced that he was taking a leave of absence from Q for “personal reasons,” an explanation many fans believed was a euphemism for depression, his father having recently died. This week, in the eyes of his fans, he is an even more sympathetic figure: the newly fatherless victim of a smear campaign spearheaded by four “immature” women (as one commenter on his Facebook page put it) who have nothing better to do than derail the life of a good man. To top it off, his accusers are all anonymous, taken by some to mean that they are less credible.

Brown, one of the reporters who broke the story in the Star, and who hosts a popular media-criticism podcast called Canadaland, hopes “people keep in mind that there are different types of anonymity. An anonymous commenter on YouTube is very different than a person whose name is known to journalists, who is interviewed extensively, who has provided documentation to support details of their account, but who chooses to withhold their name for totally understandable reasons,” he wrote to me in an email.

Some critics have called his Facebook confession smarmy and manipulative, an attempt to discredit his anonymous accusers and to “control the narrative” (as the character Olivia Pope often says on Scandal), especially in tandem with the fact that he has hired the high-profile PR firm Navigator. And it may very well be all of those things, but it’s also his only option, because of his accusers’ anonymity. He can’t defend himself against the assault allegations in a court of law—a basic tenet of our justice system— because they haven’t been reported to police. In other words, the culture of fear around reporting sexual assault—rape culture, as some call it—makes it impossible for Ghomeshi him to defend himself against the allegations in court.

It may, however, give him an advantage in his case against the CBC. “The fact that the women have not filed criminal charges helps Mr. Ghomeshi’s case [against the CBC],” says David J. Doorey, professor of labour and employment law at York University. “It’s much easier for an employer to explain to an arbitrator why it was necessary to fire an employee who has been convicted of a violent sex crime. The potential harm to the employer’s reputation and business interests is more obvious in that case.”

Fear of reporting sexual assault existed before Twitter and Facebook, of course, but something has changed, says Carissima Mathen, an associate professor of law at the University of Ottawa. Before social media, many sexual assault victims feared being mistreated by the courts. Today, one of their biggest fears rests with how they’ll be treated in the world at large. “They feel it is virtually impossible to keep your identity secret, especially in a case where people have a connection with the defendant,” she says. “The negative experience [of reporting sexual assault] is now being perceived to exist completely outside the criminal justice system.”

This entire case, so far, exists outside of it, too.

Since Ghomeshi’s Facebook post emerged, a large number of Canadians have rushed to the radio host’s defence with almost lightning speed and, sometimes, unadulterated glee. Affirmative posts underneath the host’s Facebook status urge him to keep his chin up, and keep fighting the good fight. Ghomeshi is a voice of liberal reason, after all, an annoyingly affable metrosexual who has hosted radio segments about the meaning of rape culture. Not so long ago, he was on the air telling Anne Marie Owens, editor-in-chief of the National Post—formerly deputy editor of Maclean’s—how special it was that a woman had finally earned the top spot at a Canadian newspaper. It may be this progressive zeal, and his friendly disposition, that’s made his fans discount even the slightest possibility that his accusers might be telling the truth—as though social enlightenment precludes criminal behaviour. And that’s a scary thought.
Spiro C. Thiery

Postby coffin_dodger » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:13 am

This is an interesting and new angle on the old (new digital age) adage:

"Why should I care if I'm being surveilled constantly - when I have nothing to hide?"

There are many 'things' people would rather keep in their own darkened closet, never to see the light.

But in an age of no more privacy, ushered in and promoted as the new normal by corporation and government spying on everything, coupled with a highly visible lack of prosecution for the corrupt and powerful - is it any wonder that faith in the system is waining to the point where the best considered recourse is name and shame by public disclosure?

We can expect a torrent of this stuff. Some real, some not. At least you'll get to decide intuitively, rather than some fusty old judge with a penchant for keeping things the way things are, or far, far worse.
coffin_dodger

Blog: View Blog (14)

Postby Elvis » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:48 pm

I never liked him or his show "Q." I listen to a lot of CBC Radio, and that's the only CBC show where I jump up and change the station when the annoyingly "hip" intro starts. He seemed to annoy Joni Mitchell too, in his long interview with her, interrupting, second-guessing, not really listening, tapping his notes intead of following her interesting tangents. Anyway, this news is somehow little surprise to me.
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby NaturalMystik » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:24 pm

I stand corrected, the Ghomeshi story did not totally 'disappear'.

Jian Ghomeshi's $55M lawsuit against CBC being withdrawn

A $55-million lawsuit launched by Jian Ghomeshi against the CBC last month, after he was fired as host of the radio arts, culture and entertainment program Q, is being withdrawn.

Ghomeshi is to pay $18,000 in legal costs incurred by the CBC. The process still needs to be formalized through a court order.

Ghomeshi launched the lawsuit against the CBC last month after he was fired from the broadcaster. CBC sought to have it dismissed, saying it was "without merit and an abuse of the court’s process."

The former Q host has also filed a grievance against the CBC through his union, the Canadian Media Guild, and it is still open.

Ghomeshi, 47, is being investigated by Toronto police after three women filed complaints alleging he was physically violent without their consent. He has not been charged with any criminal offence.

He previously issued a statement denying the allegations against him and saying all acts involving rough sex were consensual.

In his most recent statement, he said he intended to meet the allegations directly and that he doesn't intend to discuss the matter with the media.

CBC hired employment lawyer Janice Rubin to conduct an internal investigation into the allegations against Ghomeshi.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/jian-ghom ... -1.2849523
Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling the transmission.
NaturalMystik

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:31 pm

...he said he intended to meet the allegations directly and that he doesn't intend to discuss the matter with the media.

Uhhhhhhhhh ........
Wombaticus Rex

Postby brekin » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:38 pm

Drive by ironic fact:

Ghomeshi attended York University beginning in 1985 in the theatre program and subsequently graduating with a B.A. in political science and double-minored in history and women's studies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jian_Ghomeshi

.....................................................................................Image
If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
I hang onto my prejudices, they are the testicles of my mind. Eric Hoffer
brekin

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby NaturalMystik » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:01 pm

And then....

Jian Ghomeshi charged in sexual assault investigation

Former CBC Radio host Jian Ghomeshi has been charged in a sexual assault investigation, Toronto police say.

Ghomeshi, 47, faces five charges under the Criminal Code:

Four counts of sexual assault.
One charge of "overcome resistance — choking."

Police said in a news release that Ghomeshi surrendered on Wednesday.

He is scheduled to appear in court this afternoon.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/jian-ghom ... -1.2850661
NaturalMystik

Postby elfismiles » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:15 pm

Ya beat me - hat tip to our host JW via evil-FB:

Man charged in Sexual Assault investigation,
Faces five charges

Broadcast time: 10:35
Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Sex Crimes
416-808-7474

On Friday, October 31, 2014, Toronto Police Service Sex Crimes started an investigation into several allegations of sexual assault.

On Wednesday, November 26, 2014, Jian Ghomeshi, 47, of Toronto, surrendered to police. He was charged with:

1) four counts of Sexual Assault

2) Overcome Resistance - Choking

He is scheduled to appear in court early this afternoon. We will notify the media of the court location well in advance of the appearance.

Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 416-808-7474, Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477), online at www.222tips.com, text TOR and your message to CRIMES (274637), or Leave A Tip on Facebook. Download the free Crime Stoppers Mobile App on iTunes, Google Play or Blackberry App World.

A sexual assault is any form of unwanted sexual contact. It includes, but is not limited to, kissing, grabbing, oral sex and penetration. To learn more about sexual assault, including how to report a sexual assault, please visit our Sex Crimes website.

http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/newsreleases/30572

NaturalMystik » 26 Nov 2014 16:01 wrote:And then....

Jian Ghomeshi charged in sexual assault investigation

Former CBC Radio host Jian Ghomeshi has been charged in a sexual assault investigation, Toronto police say.

Ghomeshi, 47, faces five charges under the Criminal Code:

Four counts of sexual assault.
One charge of "overcome resistance — choking."

Police said in a news release that Ghomeshi surrendered on Wednesday.

He is scheduled to appear in court this afternoon.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/jian-ghom ... -1.2850661
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby NaturalMystik » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:48 pm

For anyone curious to see CBC's TV version of the Ghomeshi story:

http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/episodes/2014-2 ... n-ghomeshi
NaturalMystik

Postby Spiro C. Thiery » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:04 am

NaturalMystik » Today, 05:48 wrote:For anyone curious to see CBC's TV version of the Ghomeshi story: http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/episodes/2014-2 ... n-ghomeshi

Jesus. This piece would be a lot more effective were it not for the tacky production value clearly meant to lend it an ominous tone. It cheapens this serious issue, imo.

on edit: The slick tone, coming as it does from the network that coddled him, makes it kind of creepy in an additional way that I don't think they intended.
Spiro C. Thiery

Postby NaturalMystik » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:10 pm

Spiro C. Thiery » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:04 am wrote:
on edit: The slick tone, coming as it does from the network that coddled him, makes it kind of creepy in an additional way that I don't think they intended.

^^ agreed. I don't know how to describe it, but there's a weird meta thing going on. I find it quite interesting how they are writing their own story, creating characters and creating additions victims out of the employees.
NaturalMystik

Postby Spiro C. Thiery » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:33 pm

NaturalMystik » Today, 05:48 wrote:For anyone curious to see CBC's TV version of the Ghomeshi story: http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/episodes/2014-2 ... n-ghomeshi

Their having used the footage of Martin Short's recent appearance, I cannot help but imagine an amalgamation of Chris Boyce and his boss (him being weak and duplicitous and her being haughty and above it all):
Spiro C. Thiery

Return to General Discussion