Collective Evolution

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Collective Evolution

Postby gnosticheresy_2 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:02 am

Seeing this site crop up with increasing regularity in my social media feeds. Does anyone have any info on who's behind it? looks slick and professional which is usually enough to get my spidey sense tingling...

http://www.collective-evolution.com/about-us/
gnosticheresy_2

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Collective Evolution

Postby slimmouse » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:41 am

gnosticheresy_2 wrote: looks slick and professional which is usually enough to get my spidey sense tingling...

Thanks for the heads up GH.

I just looked at the site for about half an hour, hitting numerous sub- links in order to get more info. Upon reaching those links, Id have to say its nothing like as slick and professional as it might need to be in order to get my own heckles aroused.

They do have the google selected ads for sure, but they dont seem to be trying to sell me too much else other than info. Furthermore, the site presentation itself is pretty basic to put it mildly Also all the authors go by their names it would appear, which is always a good sign. For me, the most glaringly obvious disinfo freak sites are those which leap through any number of hoops in order to avoid telling you who they are.

This as mentioned is simply a first glance.

Meanwhile, Here''s my own one hit content discovery

Scientists Observe Brain Cells While Healing Intention Is Directed Towards Them – Here’s What Happened
December 12, 2014 by Arjun Walia. 5 Comments.

http://www.collective-evolution.com/201 ... -happened/

Worth further exploration in my own eyes at least, though I'd also very much appreciate the thoughts of others around here, and particularly if available the well reasoned thoughts of any cautionaries in our midst
slimmouse

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby brainpanhandler » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:18 pm

gnosticheresy_2 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:02 am wrote:Seeing this site crop up with increasing regularity in my social media feeds. Does anyone have any info on who's behind it? looks slick and professional which is usually enough to get my spidey sense tingling...

http://www.collective-evolution.com/about-us/

Does your spidey sense suspect this sort of thing?:

"I never imagined that a program like this could exist ... When you find out you could be surrounded by a conspiracy, it's shocking."

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/ce2a878e ... ark-change
"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Martin Luther King Jr.
brainpanhandler

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:02 pm

1) You see it in your social media feeds because their content is optimized to be shared and they're paying for extra juice. There is nothing organic about our social media feeds, as much as we'd like to cling to the de/illusion of control, or at least curation.

2) I'm assuming everyone here is hip to WHOIS registries, but if not, great tool to start such searches: http://www.networksolutions.com/whois/

3) ...but not in our case since the proprietors (wisely) opted to register privately, something which is both cheap and common sense.

4) Fortunately, the proprietor wants to be a celebrity -- no conspirator he! Joe Martino is a Canadian (duh) who has been hard at work on a series of (doubtless rigorous and comprehensive) documentaries called, well, Collective Evolution. He works in IT.
IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3961113/
LinkedIn: http://ca.linkedin.com/pub/joe-martino/61/271/916

5) I recognized the name Arjun Walia from the contributors list -- he creates shit viral content for conspiracy meme-slingers. Not a good faith actor.
Wombaticus Rex

Postby norton ash » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:08 pm

no conspirator he! Joe Martino is a Canadian (duh) who has been hard at work on a series of (doubtless rigorous and comprehensive) documentaries called, well, Collective Evolution. He works in IT.

I am shocked-- shocked-- that a Canadian would be involved in such a thing. Wondering about the (duh) though... is it because American bad actors try to look Canadian, or because trubba and kafabe originate here? (Last time I visited Toronto it looked like the perfect multicultural city, but I kept expecting Donald Sutherland to point me out and shriek.)
Zen horse
norton ash

Postby brainpanhandler » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:09 pm

Wombaticus Rex » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:02 pm wrote:
5) I recognized the name Arjun Walia from the contributors list -- he creates shit viral content for conspiracy meme-slingers. Not a good faith actor.

I guess my only wonder was whether the extra juice was paid for by other not good faith actors. The sort of thing in the AP story I linked to. The not good faith actors like Arjun Walia need not be aware of the ultimate source of their promotion nor the agenda of that source.

Just stretching to find some sort of conspiracy. I didn't even look that close at the website. A cursory look suggested run of the mill woo.
"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Martin Luther King Jr.
brainpanhandler

Postby slimmouse » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:22 pm

brainpanhandler wrote:I guess my only wonder was whether the extra juice was paid for by other not good faith actors. The sort of thing in the AP story I linked to. The not good faith actors like Arjun Walia need not be aware of the ultimate source of their promotion nor the agenda of that source.

Just stretching to find some sort of conspiracy. I didn't even look that close at the website. A cursory look suggested run of the mill woo.

Its a funny thing, because that very same thought was what crossed my own mind.

Not wishing to tarnish our intuitive endorsement, but it kinda reminded me of how the Peoples Voice was brought down. When it happens ,Its the usual insider job.

All that said, anyone that can get the results of any research studies of the strangely named Noetic Sciences, cant be all that bad.

Cant they just call it Human Science ?
slimmouse

Postby DrEvil » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:26 pm

Scientists Observe Brain Cells While Healing Intention Is Directed Towards Them – Here’s What Happened

Headlines like this should raise a flag. It's pure click-bait. Click here to learn why!
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Postby slimmouse » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:34 pm

DrEvil » 16 Dec 2014 19:26 wrote:

Headlines like this should raise a flag. It's pure click-bait. Click here to learn why!

You mean that the link I provided is to a bogus study?
slimmouse

Postby Searcher08 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:11 pm

slimmouse » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:34 pm wrote:
DrEvil » 16 Dec 2014 19:26 wrote:

You mean that the link I provided is to a bogus study?

I have not seen anything from Dean Radin that is less than extremely carefully designed and carried out. The level of rebuttal from pseudoskeptics I have seen about him descends into sub-Randi spoutings of "He LOOKS like he is full of Woo! I'm not going to given him the honour of a dignified response" Blah Blah. Do a search on R.I. for 'Intentional Chocolate' for a comic tale of me trying to engage Hugh Manatee Wins on the subject :eeyaa

IMHO this headline is relatively Clickbait-free, however the Collective-Evolution site teems with it. I wouldn't touch a vile site like Paul (Microsoft) Allen's Upworthy with a 50ft pole. I find these type of sites more disturbing than FoxNews - if Goebbels were alive, he would be running a Clickbaiting Institute.

As usual, the Irish tell a story well... this teaches how to clickbait and why it is actually really vile and dangerous.

Searcher08

Postby slimmouse » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:17 pm

Wow, sounds like I got lucky. Cheers searcher.
slimmouse

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:41 pm

It's not so much that it's a "bogus study" -- just that studies are insufficient evidence for anything, let alone proof. And studies only get presented in popular culture as truth.

I recommend the following in the strongest possible terms. The author is a trenchant critic of "social justice" left progressives but an honest one, and a very rigorous thinker, and the subject matter is intimately related to our current thread: http://slatestarcodex.com/2014/12/12/be ... one-study/

He also wrote a very eloquent and thoughtful argument that "debunking" is actually the opposite of skepticism or rational behavior that I think RI would enjoy quite a bit: http://slatestarcodex.com/2014/04/15/th ... -of-doubt/
Wombaticus Rex

Postby gnosticheresy_2 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:33 pm

if Goebbels were alive, he would be running a Clickbaiting Institute.

Yeah well I'm not totally thick, I know things appearing in my social media feeds are put there rather than organically growing there like some sort of internet fungus but I'm more interested in the why and who rather than the how. If something even vaguely woo like* is being shared by people I know who have no interest whatsoever in topics like that usually then I want to know who's responsible dagnabit! It probably also didn't help that the first "article" that I read on there was this:

http://www.collective-evolution.com/201 ... -to-432hz/

TL:DR: if we all pitch music down very slightly it will be more "consistent" with the universe. man.

*especially since most sites that deal with such topics usually look like the designer did the CSS by rolling their head across the keyboard sometime in the early 00s
gnosticheresy_2

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:13 pm

Sorry, missed the question:

I just love slandering Canadians.

Wombaticus Rex

Postby lucky » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:23 am

...I found it odd that in the last month or so it appears on FB 'news' feeds The subjects always look intriguing but for some reason I haven't clicked on any.....spideee senses???
There's holes in the sky where rain gets in
the holes are small
that's why rain is thin.
lucky

Next

Return to General Discussion