Hydraulic Fracturing Banned in New York State

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Hydraulic Fracturing Banned in New York State

Postby Iamwhomiam » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:49 pm

This is breaking news yet to be formally announced. Yes, our Health Commissioner could not advise Governor Cuomo that fracking could be done safely, according to the current science. Soon our Commissioner of our Department of Environmental Conservation, Jo Martens will make the announcement denying access to our state's resources by the industry, at least in this manner. Many thousands of permits have been applied for.

Environmentalists across the world will hail this tremendous environmental victory. As my last effort of environmental activism I feel greatly satisfied that I played a small roll in helping to put together the two groups of professionals that each prepared an analysis of all independent peer reviewed studies of the high volume high pressure horizontal drilling technology. Their two reports were given to the governor last week and were damning. I'll locate links.

Added on edit:

Download the Compendium
http://concernedhealthny.org/compendium/
http://concernedhealthny.org/about/

PSE STUDY CITATION DATABASE
on Shale Gas & Tight Oil Development
http://www.psehealthyenergy.org/site/view/1180
http://www.psehealthyenergy.org/LIBRARY
and
Environmental Public Health Dimensions of Shale and Tight Gas Development
http://ehp.niehs.nih.gov/1307866/

http://www.timesunion.com/business/article/Offering-a-case-against-fracking-5952016.php

Study finds toxic carcinogen risk
By Brian Nearing
Updated 10:11 pm, Thursday, October 30, 2014
http://www.timesunion.com/business/article/Air-near-fracking-sites-carries-cancer-risk-5858256.php

Offering a case against fracking
By Brian Nearing
Published 11:28 pm, Thursday, December 11, 2014

Albany

Having said he wants science to drive the decision on whether to open the state to natural gas hydrofracking, Gov. Andrew Cuomo got a telephone book-sized dose of science dropped on his desk Thursday by two health groups that want to keep out fracking.

Speculation is mounting that the long-awaited state Health Department study on fracking's potential public health risks could be released soon, and the governor roiled some anti-fracking groups recently when he suggested that there were "credentialed academics" on both sides of the politically contentious issue.

In response, two groups — Concerned Health Professionals of New York and Physicians, Scientists and Engineers for Health Energy — pulled together information on a growing body of health studies that have been issued since 2009, when the state Department of Environmental Conservation first issued its potential environmental roadmap for fracking.

That year, there were six peer-reviewed studies on how fracking, which uses a high-pressure mix of water, chemicals and sand to break up gas-bearing underground rock formations, could affect air and water quality. Another six such studies were added in 2010, when then-Gov. David Paterson issued an executive order imposing a fracking moratorium.

There were 32 more fracking health studies in 2011, 66 more in 2012, and 139 more in 2013, when the state Health Department was ordered to conduct its health fracking study. By the end of November 2014, there were another 154 such peer-reviewed studies, according to the PSE study.

Of health-related papers, 96 percent cited potential health risks from fracking, according to the study. For air-quality related papers, 95 percent found elevated pollution from fracking; for water-quality related papers, three-quarters found evidence of water pollution.

"The growth in science examining fracking is exponential. We are adding roughly a study a day. And three-quarters of all these scientific papers have been done within the last two years," said Sheila Bushkin-Bedient, a health researcher with the Institute for Health and Environment at the University at Albany, and member of Concerned Health Professionals of New York.

The group produced its own 103-page study that compiles available science, along with government and industry reports and journalism investigations. This is the second edition of the study; it contains 80 additional studies new since the first edition came out in July 2014.

The studies point to "Many areas of serious concern to public health, water, the environment and economic vitality," said Bushkin-Bedient. "Science is still catching up to the rapid expansion of fracking, but what we know already is deeply disconcerting ... "The alarming weight of evidence is strongly on the side of caution."

Bushkin-Bedient recently co-authored a study published this month in the journal Environmental Health that said human exposure to chemicals associated with fracking has caused developmental abnormalities in the reproductive organs of unborn children. Another member of Concerned Health Professionals, Yuri Gorby, who is an associate professor and Blitman chair in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, said, "The rapidly emerging science on drilling and fracking increasingly supports many earlier anecdotal reports of harm ... The science on fracking is still young. We are confident that another three to five years will seal the deal."

bnearing@timesunion.com • 518-454-5094 • @Bnearing10

http://www.timesunion.com/business/article/Offering-a-case-against-fracking-5952016.php

2nd edit added html link to Environmental Public Health Dimensions of Shale and Tight Gas Development
Last edited by Iamwhomiam on Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Iamwhomiam

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Hydraulic Fracturing Banned in New York State

Postby Elvis » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:10 pm

That's excellent news, and good work, Iam!

I'd like to see Washington state become the first "green state": Green Party majorities, and making people, environment and ecology the top priorities.
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby Iamwhomiam » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:13 pm

Thanks guys, but honestly, all I did was connect a few RPI scientists with other health professionals early on. Truly, from my limited scope, the credit falls to another, Barbara Warren, our ed and an RN with a masters in Environmental Health, and Yuri Gorbi, a geomicrobiologist at RPI. Others across the country were similarly involved and are also owed the credit. After all they performed the arduous tasks of analysis and the research is now flowing forth, gushing if you will, and it's nearly all damning.

"Time to cap those wells and move along, boys."

"Don't let the gold lining your pockets slow you down."

Fucking lizards!

On, to the bomb trains!!

If there's ever to be hope for the future, it is essential we adopt
The Precautionary Principle.

But more importantly, did Obama just normalize relations with Cuba?
Iamwhomiam

Postby Iamwhomiam » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:46 pm

https://www.health.ny.gov/press/releases/2014/2014-12-17_fracking_report.htm

New York State Department of Health Completes Review of High-volume Hydraulic Fracturing

Acting DOH Commissioner Zucker Recommends Activity Should Not Move Forward in New York State

DEC Commissioner Martens Will Issue a Findings Statement Early Next Year to Prohibit High-Volume Hydraulic Fracturing

ALBANY, N.Y. (December 17, 2014) - The state Department of Health has completed its public health review of high-volume hydraulic fracturing (HVHF) and Acting DOH Commissioner Dr. Howard Zucker recommended that high-volume hydraulic fracturing should not move forward in New York State. Dr. Zucker announced his findings and recommendations today at a Cabinet Meeting in Albany.

"I have considered all of the data and find significant questions and risks to public health which as of yet are unanswered," said Dr. Zucker. "I think it would be reckless to proceed in New York until more authoritative research is done. I asked myself, 'would I let my family live in a community with fracking?' The answer is no. I therefore cannot recommend anyone else's family to live in such a community either."

In 2012, Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) Commissioner Joe Martens asked the DOH Commissioner to conduct a review of the draft Supplemental Generic Environmental Impact Statement for High-Volume Hydraulic Fracturing (SGEIS). Dr. Zucker's report fulfills that request.

As a result of Dr. Zucker's report, Commissioner Martens stated at the Cabinet Meeting today that he will issue a legally binding findings statement that will prohibit HVHF in New York State at this time.

"For the past six years, DEC has examined the significant environmental impacts that could result from high-volume hydraulic fracturing," DEC Commissioner Joe Martens said. "DEC's own review identified dozens of potential significant adverse impacts of HVHF. Further, with the exclusion of sensitive natural, cultural and historic resources and the increasing number of towns that have enacted bans and moratoria, the risks substantially outweigh any potential economic benefits of HVHF. Considering the research, public comments, relevant studies, Dr. Zucker's report and the enormous record DEC has amassed on this issue, I have directed my staff to complete the final SGEIS. Once that is complete, I will prohibit high-volume hydraulic fracturing in New York State at this time."

DEC will incorporate the findings of the public health review into the Final SGEIS, which will be released with a response to public comments early next year. A minimum of 10 days later, Commissioner Martens will issue the findings statement prohibiting HVHF. This action will conclude the State Environmental Quality Review Act process for HVHF.

DOH's review found significant uncertainties about: the adverse health outcomes that may be associated with HVHF; the likelihood of occurrence of adverse health outcomes; and the adequacy of mitigation measures to protect public health. DOH's report concludes that it will be years until science and research provide sufficient information to determine the level of risk HVHF poses to public health and whether those risks can be adequately mitigated. Given the red flags raised by current studies, absent conclusive studies that disprove health concerns, the report states the activity should not proceed in New York State.

In conducting its public health review, DOH reviewed and evaluated scientific literature, sought input from outside public health experts, engaged in field visits and discussions with health and environmental authorities in nearly all states where HVHF activity is taking place, and communicated with local, state, federal, international, academic, environmental and public health stakeholders. DOH's review can be found at: http://www.health.ny.gov/press/reports/docs/high_volume_hydraulic_fracturing.pdf

At the Cabinet meeting, Governor Cuomo thanked the Commissioners and their respective departments for their work.
Iamwhomiam

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:31 am

That was well done Iamwhoiam.

Who you are is a legend.

Thats great stuff.

Cheers.

Joe Hillshoist

Return to General Discussion