Rest in Peace

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Rest in Peace

Postby elfismiles » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:56 pm

Been having some weird personal syncs of late ... I recently went on a binge of going through a bunch of my old videos to upload to YouTube and had just ripped copies of ole Dick Gregory circa 2002 ... only to hear of his passing a day or so later.

Dick Gregory: 911 panel COPA 2002 intro by John Judge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwNlOkk2EIg

Dick Gregory: Future of COPA 2002 After-conference with John Judge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAGoEQdd4Kg
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby 82_28 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:08 pm

Walter Becker, adios. I thought I would at least get to see Steely Dan once. Too many good songs to ever say one was the best.

Walter Becker, Steely Dan Guitarist, Dies at 67

Walter Becker, guitarist, bassist and co-writer for the sophisticated, dark-humored band Steely Dan, has died. He was 67.

The news was confirmed by a post on Becker’s personal website. No cause of death was announced.

Becker had cancelled his appearances at the recent Classic West and Classic East concerts due to illness.

His bandmate Donald Fagen released a statement describing their long partnership and said, “I intend to keep the music we created together alive as long as I can with the Steely Dan band.”

The more retiring full-term member of the group, Becker was partnered with singer-keyboardist and co-writer Fagen on a string of jazzy, sleekly produced singles and albums that ruled the charts during the ‘70s. After a protracted hiatus, “the Dan” returned to popularity in the ‘90s; their 2000 album “Two Against Nature” collected four Grammys, including one for album of the year.

The pair’s gimlet-eyed, covertly perverse music, garbed in gleaming pop melodies, bebop-derived harmonies and shimmering production, was variously performed with a core working band in the group’s initial heyday; those players were ultimately, and permanently, supplanted by a rotating cast of mostly jazz-schooled studio sidemen.

http://variety.com/2017/music/news/walt ... 202546337/

There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby minime » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:01 pm

Bummer.
minime

Postby Iamwhomiam » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:04 pm

Sad to learn of Walter's death. So consistent, so creative, so enjoyable. Thank you, Mr. Becker.
Rest in peace.
Iamwhomiam

Postby Elvis » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:10 pm

As a musician and guitarist myself, I have the greatest respect for Walter Becker.

Though he had terrific success in music, he had a hard life.

:tear
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby minime » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:17 pm

It's all about mu major.
minime

Postby minime » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:19 pm

Though of course not only about mu major.
minime

Postby 82_28 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:46 pm

Holy shit, minime, thanks for that. Never heard of the mu major chord before! And the following video explains it. Funny it picks the song I picked to embed above as it was the first song that came to mind (Deacon Blues).

There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby minime » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:21 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mu_chord

A mu major chord or mu chord (signified by μ) is a distinctive voicing of an add 2[2] or "add 9" chord. It is formed by adding a 2nd to a major triad. The mu major chord differs from a sus2 chord as a sus2 chord does not contain a 3rd. The voicing came to be associated with jazz-rock band Steely Dan.

"Inversions of the µ major may be formed in the usual manner with one caveat: the voicing of the second and third scale tones, which is the essence of the chord's appeal, should always occur as a whole tone dissonance."[1] Part of the chord's peculiarity is the presence of two stacked fourths in the upper register, between the second and the fifth, and the fifth and the root. This quartal harmony is more obvious when the chord is voiced with the 3rd in the bass. The chord can also be voiced with the 9th (2nd) in the bass, although such voicings are generally known as slash chords. It is suggested that the chord was conceived on or for use on keyboards.[2]

Mu chords, or portions thereof, may be used in chord substitution to replace simple major triads. For example, an Am7 chord can be thought of as a C major triad (CEG) with an A in the bass. A C mu major chord can be voiced as a DEG triad with a C in the bass. Taking the upper portion (DEG) of the C mu chord and substituting this in place of the C triad in the original Am7 chord would give an A7sus4 chord: DEG with A in the bass.[2]

The reference to this chord as "mu major" has been popularized by fans of the jazz-influenced rock group Steely Dan, as well as by the band members themselves. This chord is used extensively in their work, often arpeggiated at the end of musical phrases. The "mu major sound" is a distinctive idiom of Steely Dan's style. In a 1989 interview with Paul Zollo,[3] Walter Becker explained that the use of the chord developed from trying to enrich the sound of a major chord without making it into a "jazz chord". Usage of the chord itself had been present for decades in jazz music from bebop to free jazz, and was especially present in the Jazz-funk era from the late '60s to the early '80s. Notable users are vibes player/composer Roy Ayers, pianist/composer Herbie Hancock and composer Yoko Kanno. The chord/voicing technique was the same, just not named as such.
Last edited by minime on Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
minime

Postby seemslikeadream » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:43 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evOMnvDRVGg

Farewell, Walter Becker: Remembering the Elusive Genius of Steely Dan
He always knew how to make loserdom sound mythic

Walter Becker of Steely Dan performing April 10th, 2015 at Coachella. Photo by Jeff Kravitz/FilmMagic
By Rob Sheffield
2 hours ago
Walter Becker once explained Steely Dan's most affectionate satire, "Deacon Blues." "The protagonist is not a musician. He just sort of imagines that would be one of the mythic forms of loserdom to which he might aspire. And you know, who's to say that he's not right?"

Mythic loserdom was the turf Steely Dan chronicled like no other rock & roll band. They dwelled in Raymond Chandler's L.A., not Brian Wilson's or Jackson Browne's. (Although they shared plenty with Wilson and Browne as well.) And Walter Becker was the more elusive half of this most elusive of duos – the invisible genius of Seventies rock, rarely photographed, never speaking a word in public. Long hair parted in the middle, about two-fifths of a beard, glasses designed to hide behind. If you can find a 1970s photo where this guy isn't sneering at you, I'll shake your hand.

So Becker probably would have been amused by how deeply the world mourned the news of his death on Sunday, at 67. He was the rock & roll equivalent of a wise guy in an L.A. noir – like the loanshark in The Killing or the cigar-chomping boxing promoter in Kiss Me Deadly or the twitchy bookie in The Asphalt Jungle ("money makes me sweat") – one of those guys who gets one scene, maybe just one line, then vanishes into the shadows of some royal scam and makes you wonder what the rest of his story could possibly be.

It makes cosmic sense that he slipped away the same day as our country's greatest living writer, the poet John Ashbery, another American original who struck people as perversely abstract and inscrutable. "All things are secretly bored," Ashbery declared in 1975's The Vermont Notebook, an American credo that could have been a Steely Dan line. In Three Poems, Ashbery describes a way of working that applies equally well to the Dan: "I thought that if I could put it all down, that would be one way. And next the thought came to me that to leave all out would be another, and truer, way."

Steely Dan approached rock & roll that way. Walter Becker and Donald Fagen were two hard unsmiling men doing a dirty job that seemed to give them no pleasure except the checks, which (as they made no effort to hide) were massive. They wanted all the perks of stardom – money, sex, drugs, more money – without making any concessions to the fame game, no touring or glad-handing. Fagen was the grumpiest of frontmen, but compared to Becker, Fagen was Peter Frampton – at least we knew what his voice sounded like. Becker lurked so far in the background, nobody knew he was writing half the lyrics as well as music – in fact, nobody was sure what he did. He liked it that way. As he told Rolling Stone's Cameron Crowe in 1977, "It wouldn't bother me at all not to play on my own album."

Most fans heard him talk for the first time in the 1999 VH1 Classic Albums doc about the making of Aja – a TV moment every bit as classic as Aja. It changed the public perception of Steely Dan as drastically as Beyond The Lighted Stage changed the perception of Rush, introducing Becker as the mischievously wry professor that live audiences would come to cherish over the years. For longtime fans who grew up seeing Fagen and Becker as silent recluses, it was a shock to hear them trade banter worthy of Statler and Waldorf. In the studio, they play back the "Peg" guitar solos just to heckle them. ("Hawaiian." "Yeah, that's kind of, uh, Polynesian.") They isolate Michael McDonald's backup vocals just to snicker at him: "Sorry, Mike." (McDonald was so declassé in 1999 that his voice was the punch line at the end of the South Park movie.) Fagen mocks his own "Deacon Blues" vocal: "Those days when I was singing like Jerry Lewis. Remember that?" Becker nods. "Yeah, that was a very fertile period for you."

Countdown to Ecstasy will always be my favorite Steely Dan record – so cold-eyed, from the spooky lilt of "Razor Boy" to the menace of "The Boston Rag" to the snide wit of "My Old School." The trilogy of Countdown, Pretzel Logic and Katy Lied is for me a Seventies L.A. noir on the level of Chinatown or California Split. They filled the records with mysteries for fans to argue over – were the "Show Biz Kids" soul girls chanting "you go to Las Vegas" or "you roll your lost wages"? Was the Annandale in "My Old School" the one in Virginia (near William & Mary) or the one in the Hudson valley (near Bard)? Who were Katy or Dr. Wu or Gino or Daddy G? Were they kidding with that "Razor Boy" vibraphone solo or did they sincerely think vibraphones sounded cool?

In honor of the late Walter Becker, we look back at some of the sly jazz-rockers' best
By all accounts, Becker was the more acerbic of the pair. "Walter and Donald are one person with two brains," original Dan guitarist Denny Dias told Rolling Stone in 2000. "Lyrically, Walter's got that biting edge. Donald's not nearly as sarcastic." But amazingly, the weirder they got, the bigger they got. When they stopped playing semi-comprehensible pop songs about existential despair, and started playing semi-endless jazz songs about drug dealers, America just wanted more. "Rikki Don't Lose That Number" was a Number Four hit in 1974, a radio staple ever since, though it's the song of an L.A. hustler operating his own sex-or-drugs-or-whatever den of sin, saying goodbye to this dumb sad kid who's new in town and who still seriously believes he or she can ever go back home and fit into nice clean society again. The cheeriest part is the boom-boom drum hook into the chorus, played by a top-dollar L.A. session guy who's spent the past few decades incarcerated for murdering his mother. Fagen's "that's okaaay" feels as dark as Elliott Gould's "it's all right with me" in The Long Goodbye. And the word "games" has never sounded so sinister.

Fagen and Becker always kept their working methods private. (As Becker told Hank Shteamer in a revealing 2008 Time Out New York interview, "Sometimes we really work very closely, collaboratively on every little silly millimeter on the writing of the song and certainly of the records, and sometimes less so.") As they boast in the hilarious liner notes to their 1999 reissue series, they weren't into Sixties utopian ideals – they preferred "the unenlightened despotism of our autocratic aesthetic regime." They soon gave up the pretense of having other people in the band, hiring and discarding sidemen at will. "'Studio musician' – to us, there were no grander words in the English language than these ('ripe breast,' 'chiba-chiba' and 'flavorstraw' were close runners-up)." But they gave none of their secrets away. As Fagen told Crowe in 1977, "We're just sitting out the Seventies, waiting for better times."

The better times didn't come. Becker crashed out, drifted away during the making of Gaucho, lost touch with Fagen, retreated to Hawaii to deal with his addictions, or as he called them, "social ills." They went years without seeing each other. Back in New York, Fagen would go to jazz clubs, ask the musicians to autograph napkins "To Walter" and drop them in the mail to his long-lost friend. "Just to keep him going. Or so I thought." They made solo albums where they got direct – sentimental, even – in ways they couldn't together. Becker's wonderfully sardonic 1994 album 11 Tracks of Whack had a confession called "This Moody Bastard" ("needs some kind of friend now and then"). When they revived Steely Dan, they found their audience more passionate than ever – and they couldn't quite hide their delighted (if bemused) surprise that the audience was there.

Since so many fans spent Sunday mourning Ashbery and Becker at the same time – for me that meant reading The Double Dream of Spring with a stack of Steely Dan LPs – it's fitting to let Ashbery take the last word, from his prose elegy Three Poems: "There was no longer anyone to care in the old sense of caring. There were new people watching and waiting, conjugating in this way the distance and emptiness, transforming the scarcely noticeable bleakness into something both intimate and noble." Becker knew that bleakness – and made a lifetime's worth of unforgettable music out of it. He always knew how to make loserdom sound mythic. Rest in peace, Walter Becker – we know you're smoking, wherever you are.
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/featu ... ld-w501082

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zl8tWw4kYmo
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby Laodicean » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:00 pm

Laodicean

Blog: View Blog (16)

Postby liminalOyster » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:16 pm

RIP, too.
"It's not rocket surgery." - Elvis
liminalOyster

Postby Iamwhomiam » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:41 am

Iamwhomiam

Postby Spiro C. Thiery » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:23 am

These Lacustrine Cities
By John Ashbery
These lacustrine cities grew out of loathing
Into something forgetful, although angry with history.
They are the product of an idea: that man is horrible, for instance,
Though this is only one example.

They emerged until a tower
Controlled the sky, and with artifice dipped back
Into the past for swans and tapering branches,
Burning, until all that hate was transformed into useless love.

Then you are left with an idea of yourself
And the feeling of ascending emptiness of the afternoon
Which must be charged to the embarrassment of others
Who fly by you like beacons.

The night is a sentinel.
Much of your time has been occupied by creative games
Until now, but we have all-inclusive plans for you.
We had thought, for instance, of sending you to the middle of the desert,

To a violent sea, or of having the closeness of the others be air
To you, pressing you back into a startled dream
As sea-breezes greet a child’s face.
But the past is already here, and you are nursing some private project.

The worst is not over, yet I know
You will be happy here. Because of the logic
Of your situation, which is something no climate can outsmart.
Tender and insouciant by turns, you see

You have built a mountain of something,
Thoughtfully pouring all your energy into this single monument,
Whose wind is desire starching a petal,
Whose disappointment broke into a rainbow of tears.
Seeing the world through rose-colored latex.
Spiro C. Thiery

Postby Cordelia » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:38 am

RIP great character actor Harry Dean Stanton:

Harry Dean Stanton, actor who excelled at playing losers and eccentrics, dies at 91

By Lindsey Bahr September 15 at 6:58 PM

Harry Dean Stanton, the shambling, craggy-face character actor with the deadpan voice who became a cult favorite through his memorable turns in “Paris, Texas,” “Repo Man” and many other films and TV shows, died Sept. 15 at a hospital in Los Angeles. He was 91.

Mr. Stanton’s agent John S. Kelly confirmed the death but did not provide a cause.

Never mistaken for a leading man, Mr. Stanton was an unforgettable presence to moviegoers, fellow actors and directors who recognized that his quirky characterizations could lift even the most ordinary script. Roger Ebert once observed that “no movie featuring either Harry Dean Stanton or M. Emmet Walsh in a supporting role can be altogether bad.”

He was widely loved around Hollywood, a drinker and smoker and straight talker with a million stories who palled around with Jack Nicholson and Kris Kristofferson and was a hero to such younger stars and brothers-in-partying as Rob Lowe and Emilio Estevez. “I don’t act like their father,” he once told New York magazine. “I act like their friend.”

Continued...
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/ob ... e47fc05b4c

Tribute from David Lynch...

The two have collaborated for nearly 30 years, starting with Lynch’s 1988 short-film The Cowboy and the Frenchman. In the documentary on Stanton’s life: Harry Dean Stanton: Partly Fiction, Lynch said: “I’ve got a list of all the films Harry Dean was in: The Cowboy and the Frenchman, Wild at Heart, Hotel Room, The Straight Story, Inland Empire, and Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me.” To which Stanton replied: “We’re a team.” Lynch, in turn, said: “Yep!”

http://uproxx.com/movies/harry-dean-sta ... win-peaks/
The greatest sin is to be unconscious. ~ Carl Jung

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion