Just Saw My First Owl - Screen Memory?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Just Saw My First Owl - Screen Memory?

Postby Mythic Time » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:03 am

This is a little woo-ish.

Two days ago I read this: http://www.scribd.com/doc/152000108/Owl ... O-Abductee

As one who ascribes to Shamanistic connections between Nature and Spirituality, I have always been drawn to the "air" element. Crows (Law), Hawks (Messenger), Ravens (Magic), etc. I have never seen an Owl in the wild, although I gathered Barn Owl feathers from one that had perished in traffic. Of course I have heard Owls before, and hooted back at them, always at night, but I've never seen one.

So this morning I walked out the back door for a smoke, and there, 10 feet away, was a squatty small creature sitting on the telephone wire, directly in my line of sight, with its back to me. It was still dark, but I could see it clearly against the sky. I could see the ridged areas above the eyes, and instantly knew this was my first owl sighting. It sat there for a few seconds, then silently lifted off and flew away. It was less than a foot tall, so I am guessing it was a juvenile.

I use the David Carson/Jamie Samms "Medicine Cards" for reference: http://www.medicinecards.com/

Here is a snip of Owl's Medicine: http://scottfoglesong.printandwebdesign.com/21-owl.pdf

" If you have pulled the Owl card, you are being asked to use your powers of keen, silent observation to intuit some life situation. Owl is befriending you and aiding you in seeing the total truth. Owl can bring you messages in the night through dreams or meditation. Pay attention to the signals and omens. The truth always brings further enlightenment."

Since I read that above article, I have meditated on Owls every time I've gone outdoors, and this morning, 48 hours after reading the article, I see my first one.

Woo, Screen Memory, or Coincidence?

Me = Woo
"The self is fundamentally an illusion arising as a reflection of the soul in matter, much as a clear lake at midnight reflects the moon."

Fred Alan Wolf
Mythic Time

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Just Saw My First Owl - Screen Memory?

Postby coffin_dodger » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:52 am

Sounds like a Synchronicity. Once you 'tune' into them, the realisation starts to dawn that they've probably been happening your whole life - but were previously passed over as coincidence.

I'm certain that we (as a species) have 'unlearned' or detuned certain senses, similar perhaps (but not neccessarily the same) as those displayed by all other species in the animal kingdom.
coffin_dodger

Blog: View Blog (14)

Postby Mythic Time » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:14 am

coffin_dodger » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:52 am wrote:Sounds like a Synchronicity. Once you 'tune' into them, the realisation starts to dawn that they've probably been happening your whole life - but were previously passed over as coincidence.

I'm certain that we (as a species) have 'unlearned' or detuned certain senses, similar perhaps (but not neccessarily the same) as those displayed by all other species in the animal kingdom.

Agreed. during my "psychosis", synchronicities fly every whichaways, which of course can't be so because of... whatever. I like the idea of "tuning into" a concept, then see it manifest, using senses we have, but don't use.
"The self is fundamentally an illusion arising as a reflection of the soul in matter, much as a clear lake at midnight reflects the moon."

Fred Alan Wolf
Mythic Time

Postby 82_28 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:24 am

I gaze at birds all the time. Like probably way too much to be considered "normal".

Apparently my cohorts have decided to take it off the web. It does exist in dead tree form, but that's no help. I wrote some essay last year about "why do birds seem to hate us?" I spent a number of days trying to save this bird that kept getting pushed out of its nest by its siblings. I fashioned some contraption to put him/her back into it only to have, time after time, finding it on the ground again. After awhile it began following me around and just sat on my shoulder in the house and wherever. But we had four cats. I think it had a heart attack because one of our cats was super tenacious. It wasn't mauled -- I put it in a box high up on a shelf until I could figure out what to do. Just was dead/scared or something in the morning. I've never seen a free owl though.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby elfismiles » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:40 am

More RI posts mentioning Clelland...

search.php?keywords=clelland

Mythic Time » 21 Feb 2015 13:03 wrote:This is a little woo-ish.

Two days ago I read this: http://www.scribd.com/doc/152000108/Owl ... O-Abductee
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby brainpanhandler » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:44 pm

1) Visualize a quarter vividly, and imagine vividly that you are going to find the quarter on the street. Then, look for the quarter every time you take a walk, meanwhile continuing to visualize it. See how long it takes to find the quarter.

2) Explain the above experiment by the hypothesis of “selective attention” — that is believe there are lots of lost quarters everywhere and you were bound to find one by continually looking. Go looking for a second quarter.

3) Explain the experiment by the alternative “mystical” hypothesis that “mind controls everything.” Believe that you made the quarter manifest in this universe. Go looking for a second quarter.

4) Compare the time it takes to find the second quarter using the first hypothesis (attention) with the time it takes using the hypothesis (mind-over-matter).

5) With your own ingenuity, invent similar experiments and each time compare the two theories — “selective attention” (coincidence) vs. “mind controls everything” (psychokinesis).

6) Avoid coming to any strong conclusions prematurely. At the end of the month, re-read this [entry], think it over again, and still postpone coming to any dogmatic conclusion. Believe it possible that you do not know everything yet, and that you might have something still to learn.

– from Prometheus Rising, Robert Anton Wilson (1997, 2nd rev. ed., tenth printing)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prometheus_Rising

Then read this:

http://quanta-gaia.org/reviews/books/holoUniverse.html
"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Martin Luther King Jr.
brainpanhandler

Postby Twyla LaSarc » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:14 pm

Mythic Time » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:03 am wrote:
Since I read that above article, I have meditated on Owls every time I've gone outdoors, and this morning, 48 hours after reading the article, I see my first one.

Many years ago a witchy friend of mine and I walked through an Illinois forest. At one point she picked a half walnut shell off the ground.
It had a resonably good semblance to an owl and she decided to keep it for awhile.

We walked to the end of the path and walked back.

Near the spot where she found the shell, we were startled when what had looked like a large, lichened bump on an oak tree unfurled itself into an owl. I did not know it then, but it was an adult Barred Owl. It stared at us and we stared back for a long moment. Then it flew.

They say an owl's wings make no noise. What I heard was something that actually generates silence. The utter sensation of the weight of the sinew and air displacement of that bird as it glided a few feet from our heads was something very viceral and truly awesome in the oldest religious sense of the term.

She smiled, "How cool, I have the owl shell I found here!" Her smile faded as she searched her pockets. It was not there.

I consoled her. "Insert one owl token, recieve one owl".

Synchronicities are sometimes quite awesome.

82_28 wrote:I gaze at birds all the time. Like probably way too much to be considered "normal".

Apparently my cohorts have decided to take it off the web. It does exist in dead tree form, but that's no help. I wrote some essay last year about "why do birds seem to hate us?" I spent a number of days trying to save this bird that kept getting pushed out of its nest by its siblings. I fashioned some contraption to put him/her back into it only to have, time after time, finding it on the ground again. After awhile it began following me around and just sat on my shoulder in the house and wherever. But we had four cats. I think it had a heart attack because one of our cats was super tenacious. It wasn't mauled -- I put it in a box high up on a shelf until I could figure out what to do. Just was dead/scared or something in the morning. I've never seen a free owl though.

Count me into the "I watch birds too much too" club. And other animals as well. The poor bird baby might have had other problems that the mother bird was selecting for. I once repeatedly saved the life of a baby rat that the mother had not only managed to kick out of the cage, but then went for distance. The cage was on a counter next to the fridge and I even had to move that appliance to rescue the whimpering baby yet again...

He did make it and was a lovely pet, but he was a dwarf and the mother knew it obviously. I also tried to save a kestrel who could not fly due to deformation in his chest or back. That did not end well. One of my biologist freinds was amazed that the bird had made it to near adulthood without having been culled. It is the way of the world
“The Radium Water Worked Fine until His Jaw Came Off”
Twyla LaSarc

Postby Elvis » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:22 pm

brainpanhandler wrote:1) Visualize a quarter vividly, and imagine vividly that you are going to find the quarter on the street. Then, look for the quarter every time you take a walk, meanwhile continuing to visualize it. See how long it takes to find the quarter.

About fifteen years ago I was a little short on money, and decided to start just looking for it on the ground as I walked the seven blocks or so between my studio and home.

It took about three days to find the first single one-dollar bill in a parking lot, then less then a week to spot a wad of bills on the sidewalk (turned out to be only $4 but hey), and a few days later a $5 bill lying in an alley I cut through, as if it was one of the autumn leaves piled against the buildings.

I rated the exercise a success, but my financial situation improved and I forgot about looking for money on the ground. But it seems to turn up there when you need it, and look for it.

Mythic, I reckon in your case the owl was just an owl. I'd be less certain about that if, say, you'd gone outside at 10pm and going back in noticed that it was 4am. (Someday maybe I'll post a friend's account of his and his whole family's experience of 'missing time' and the whole nine yards of abduction earmarks.)
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby BrandonD » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:08 pm

Twyla LaSarc » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:14 pm wrote:Count me into the "I watch birds too much too" club.

Same here, strange coincidence. I was an avid bird-watcher in school, with the checklist and everything, as there was a small patch of forest behind my house.
"One measures a circle, beginning anywhere." -Charles Fort
BrandonD

Postby 82_28 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:40 pm

I had/have a friend I haven't spoken to in quite some time and he was hard on his luck at one point. I would hang out with him basically nightly and every time we were strolling around I would find like a $20 on the sidewalk (not every time, but you get the point). I always gave it to him. But it was uncanny. I began to think I was magic or something.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby 82_28 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:46 pm

What fascinates me is trying to watch the hummingbirds near me. They're light speed! As soon as you see a few, then you don't, then you do, then you don't. They're so impossibly small and fast -- which we all know, but jesus, amazing little critters.

I want one.
82_28

Postby 82_28 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:06 pm

That reminds me of this old video taken of shootin' the shit with roommates thing. It's sort of funny, but I am the dude in the hat but don't tell anyone. It's about birds.

82_28

Postby Twyla LaSarc » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:45 pm

82_28 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:46 pm wrote:What fascinates me is trying to watch the hummingbirds near me. They're light speed! As soon as you see a few, then you don't, then you do, then you don't. They're so impossibly small and fast -- which we all know, but jesus, amazing little critters.

I want one.

I love hummingbirds too. It took me awhile to understand why they are warrior symbols in mythology, after all they are so small and cute...and fiercely territorial. I put up a feeder one year and was shocked at the fights that would break out. After one male glued himself to the feeder, forsaking all other nourishment to fight off any other hummingbirds who might seek it out, I took it down, not wanting to feed the poor thing manufactured human junk that he in turn would fight others for.

Next time I try it, I will seek out high quality food and set out a multiple number of feeders and hope that doesn't happen again.

BrandonD wrote:
Twyla LaSarc » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:14 pm wrote:Count me into the "I watch birds too much too" club.

Same here, strange coincidence. I was an avid bird-watcher in school, with the checklist and everything, as there was a small patch of forest behind my house.

That's cool! :thumbsup

I grew up around it and most of my bird-watching was when I was schoolage. My parents birdwatched on the weekend walks we would take and I got to volunteer at a bird banding station for awhile. I have even been bitten by a red headed woodpecker while gently holding him for banding. :zomg I never kept a list of birds i saw, but I knew people who did.
Last edited by Twyla LaSarc on Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Twyla LaSarc

Postby Twyla LaSarc » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:50 pm

Elvis » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:22 pm wrote:
brainpanhandler wrote:1) Visualize a quarter vividly, and imagine vividly that you are going to find the quarter on the street. Then, look for the quarter every time you take a walk, meanwhile continuing to visualize it. See how long it takes to find the quarter.

About fifteen years ago I was a little short on money, and decided to start just looking for it on the ground as I walked the seven blocks or so between my studio and home.

It took about three days to find the first single one-dollar bill in a parking lot, then less then a week to spot a wad of bills on the sidewalk (turned out to be only $4 but hey), and a few days later a $5 bill lying in an alley I cut through, as if it was one of the autumn leaves piled against the buildings.

I rated the exercise a success, but my financial situation improved and I forgot about looking for money on the ground. But it seems to turn up there when you need it, and look for it.

My first street vending job was for a gypsy leather goods maker. He'd tell me, "There's always money on the floor, you just have to look for it". I have never found any large sums but it is an occasionally fruitful exercise: the most recent was finding a fiver in a paperback book that did not quite make it into the charity bin it was aimed at. I picked it up to check the title and the money fell out...
Twyla LaSarc

Postby Jerky » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:11 pm

Where I'm from (the foothills of the Appalachians, north-western New England), spotting owls traditionally means that death is about to invade your life somehow - but usually only if you see witness it hooting.

Don't mean to be a downer, but there ya go.

Jerky
Jerky

Next

Return to General Discussion