Mars - The Ultimate Reality Show

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Mars - The Ultimate Reality Show

Postby Mythic Time » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:35 pm

1-PYawP1nQvXjfSkIlwKzylA.jpg

Cosmic cabin fever: Getting to Mars isn’t the hard part – it’s living there.

Or Not.

"Now that the 100-person short list is announced for Mars One, including four Canadians competing for a spot on the Dutch-run colonizing mission that is still at least a decade off, this kind of thing is roughly the worst-case scenario. In the cold blackness of space, with Earth receding into a blue-green pinpoint, cramped in an air-locked bubble on a one-way trip into the toxic atmosphere of a desert planet, an astronaut could take leave of his senses, like Apollo 13 meets The Shining.

With a half-hour delay even on light-speed communications with mission control, distressed astronauts would be pretty much on their own, and their crew mates would have to deal with whatever social or psychological problems might arise, from outright mental illness, which has already been documented in astronauts mid-flight, down to grudges, feuds, factions, jealousies, resentment and simple human awfulness."

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/02/gett ... l-be-hard/
Apparently getting there will in fact be the hardest part, not to mention the odds of living past the 68 day mark:
"Last month, researchers at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology revealed that any manned mission to Mars would result in the crew dying after 68 days."

http://qz.com/278312/yes-the-people-goi ... -will-die/
Living, Fucking, and Dying on Mars
"Mars One is underpinned by the idea that the application process, training regime and mission will form part of a reality TV show. Big Brother creators Endemol were confirmed as the partners when the Mars One project was launched but their PR director told Keep that “Things are at a very early stage and we’re not yet in a position to add anything further to what was detailed in the press release.” Added to this, there is currently no network buyer for the show."

A reality television series is the lynchpin of Mars One’s plan. It is through this that it intends to raise the necessary capital to actually fund the mission via advertising revenue and broadcast rights. The proposal is to film the final candidates 24/7 for the duration of their 10-year training mission on Earth, from the selection process to liftoff, and then to continue to broadcast the mission itself, live, beamed in perpetuity back from Mars to viewers on Earth.

There is the small problem of not having the money until you have the show and not having the show until you have the technology and not having the technology until you have the money and possibly not having the technology in time, or ever, which is why, Mars One says on its website, the schedule is flexible.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvan ... -scam.html

Nor, apparently is there a, you know, Rocket available to take these rabid space volunteers to Mars.
"A space transport services company called SpaceX is listed on the Mars One website as one of the suppliers, with the statement: "Mars One anticipates using SpaceX Falcon Heavy, an upgraded version of the Falcon 9, which is in use by SpaceX currently. The Falcon Heavy is slated to undergo test flights in 2014, granting ample time for fine-tuning prior to the Mars One missions.” However, Keep discovered that SpaceX has no ongoing contracts with the Mars One mission.

Without a space craft, there is no way that the final candidates can be chosen for the mission. Keep, who spoke to astronaut Chris Hadfield, explains: "If there are no specifications for the craft that will carry the crew, if you don’t know the very dimensions of the capsule they will be traveling in, you can’t begin to select the people who will be living and working inside of it."

"It (Mars One) estimates the mission will cost only about $6 billion, tens if not hundreds of billions less than any manned Mars mission so far proposed by NASA. Mars One openly admits that it is “not an aerospace company and will not manufacture mission hardware. All equipment will be developed by third-party suppliers and integrated in established facilities.” That’s how it will keep costs down, by outsourcing everything to private enterprise."

Yes, that worked so well in the Iraq Invasion.

https://medium.com/matter/all-dressed-u ... 76df527ca0
“Anybody we didn’t consider serious we considered kind of an idiot. In the videos, some applied naked. I mean, how can you come to a job interview and apply naked? So that was quite easy.”

But right here is the nitty-gritty reason - possibly the only reason - why the Reality Show idea would work, if it ever exists beyond the fevered brows of lonely, weird people on Earth. Who is going to the the first human to GET LAID on Mars? Apparently the first landing crew of four people will have that opportunity, but unlike other terrestrial firsts, all they would get for their randiness is the chance to spend their remaining 67 days basking in that "glow."

The title article nails down many of the dangerous elements of Mars/Humans interaction, but this one stands out for me...
“Another hurdle is dust, which is quite fine on Mars, and it would not be good if that got into your lungs. There are also chlorates, about half a percent in the dust, and chlorates shut down your thyroid gland. Then there’s the radiation environment, which if they stay underground can be dealt with.”

I think as time goes by, this project will eventually be viewed as far more Inspirational than Operational.

I thought about Hiroko and John Boone and the First Hundred of the Mars Trilogy as I was reading these articles.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The self is fundamentally an illusion arising as a reflection of the soul in matter, much as a clear lake at midnight reflects the moon."

Fred Alan Wolf
Mythic Time

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Mars - The Ultimate Reality Show

Postby JackRiddler » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:36 pm

Suicide mission in theory, in practice it will remain as a publicity stunt until the ratings die. The tipoff is going to be in how hott and stupid and scheming most of the contestants will be. (I dunno, if the show's a hit maybe eventually they'll take a page from Capricorn One?)

There are two serious scenarios for colonization of other planets. One is to build a self-sufficient city-sized spherical satellite piece-by-piece in earth orbit, with hydroponics, mining gear, hospitals, etc. Set it into motion so that it achieves orbit around Mars after a couple of years. Build on-planet underground bases, attempt to terraform, and start to populate from there. It's a one-way trip, obviously, and sadly requires a kind of eugenics project. (Short people, for a start.) There will be an enormous international struggle concerning the racial - and religious - composition of the satellite population, possibly triggering wars. Wild-guessing a launch date would need 50-80 years, if they went Global Apollo today, with a minimum 20-30 just for R&D. Needs some kind of non-existent shield system, ability to destroy or steer around meteors, etc. Once it's happening we're talking an annual investment on the level of the GDP of the Netherlands or more. The larger the project and space-colonizing population, the higher the costs and the (marginally) higher the chances of success.

Second, accept that it's going to be not homo sapiens, but our fucking intelligent machines that are going to take these trips, forever. Here's a guy who's already planning for that:

https://machineslikeus.com/biographies/hugo-de-garis

Humans should not stand in the way of a higher form of evolution. These machines are godlike. It is human destiny to create them.

I believe that 21st century technologies will allow the creation of "artilects" (artificial intellects, artificial intelligences, ultra intelligent machines), with intellectual capacities zillions of times greater than those of human beings. I believe that this technological possibility will force the issue of whether artilects should be built or not. I believe that humanity will split into two major ideological camps, one in favor of building artilects (the "Cosmists") and those opposed (the "Terrans"). I believe that the ideological disagreements between these two groups on this issue will be so strong, that a major "artilect" war, killing billions of people, will be almost inevitable before the end of the 21st century.

Civilizations throughout the universe have probably already made this transition. Our solar system is a billion years younger than others. And the time it takes to go from human to Cosmist to artilect is no more than a few centuries. The evolution is inevitable. After all, the real potential for intelligence is not biological -- that's too primitive.

The unwritten next thought obviously is that we are effectively already in a space-arms race with these theoretical Others, so we'd better get into it on the double. Die, Terrans, die!!!

We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby semper occultus » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:48 pm

......how's about spending some dosh NOT turning Earth into Mars instead of trying to turn Mars into Earth...

:wallhead:

...( nice 2CU JR btw )...
semper occultus

Postby Iamwhomiam » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:59 pm

^^^^ Yes!

Hi Jack!
Iamwhomiam

Postby Mythic Time » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:34 pm

JackRiddler » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:36 pm wrote:Suicide mission in theory, in practice it will remain as a publicity stunt until the ratings die. The tipoff is going to be in how hott and stupid and scheming most of the contestants will be. (I dunno, if the show's a hit maybe eventually they'll take a page from Capricorn One?)

There are two serious scenarios for colonization of other planets. One is to build a self-sufficient city-sized spherical satellite piece-by-piece in earth orbit, with hydroponics, mining gear, hospitals, etc. Set it into motion so that it achieves orbit around Mars after a couple of years. Build on-planet underground bases, attempt to terraform, and start to populate from there. It's a one-way trip, obviously, and sadly requires a kind of eugenics project. (Short people, for a start.) There will be an enormous international struggle concerning the racial - and religious - composition of the satellite population, possibly triggering wars. Wild-guessing a launch date would need 50-80 years, if they went Global Apollo today, with a minimum 20-30 just for R&D. Needs some kind of non-existent shield system, ability to destroy or steer around meteors, etc. Once it's happening we're talking an annual investment on the level of the GDP of the Netherlands or more. The larger the project and space-colonizing population, the higher the costs and the (marginally) higher the chances of success.

Second, accept that it's going to be not homo sapiens, but our fucking intelligent machines that are going to take these trips, forever. Here's a guy who's already planning for that:

https://machineslikeus.com/biographies/hugo-de-garis

Humans should not stand in the way of a higher form of evolution. These machines are godlike. It is human destiny to create them.

I believe that 21st century technologies will allow the creation of "artilects" (artificial intellects, artificial intelligences, ultra intelligent machines), with intellectual capacities zillions of times greater than those of human beings. I believe that this technological possibility will force the issue of whether artilects should be built or not. I believe that humanity will split into two major ideological camps, one in favor of building artilects (the "Cosmists") and those opposed (the "Terrans"). I believe that the ideological disagreements between these two groups on this issue will be so strong, that a major "artilect" war, killing billions of people, will be almost inevitable before the end of the 21st century.

Civilizations throughout the universe have probably already made this transition. Our solar system is a billion years younger than others. And the time it takes to go from human to Cosmist to artilect is no more than a few centuries. The evolution is inevitable. After all, the real potential for intelligence is not biological -- that's too primitive.

The unwritten next thought obviously is that we are effectively already in a space-arms race with these theoretical Others, so we'd better get into it on the double. Die, Terrans, die!!!

Well said, and makes sense. Thank you.

I just keep glancing to the Right, and see the Ignorance Tsunami looming overhead, dragging my Mythic Time back and back, so when the decades pass to generate the science necessary to do Mars "right," there will already have been pogroms and public hangings of scientists who still cling to the idea that the Earth is round.

I do not underestimate the power of unlimited political/media money, and as Mr. King says... "pure human fuckery."
"The self is fundamentally an illusion arising as a reflection of the soul in matter, much as a clear lake at midnight reflects the moon."

Fred Alan Wolf
Mythic Time

Postby elfismiles » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:37 am

One Way Ticket to Mars
Post by Belligerent Savant » 12 Aug 2013 04:52
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=36983

Austinite Sonia Van Meter has been selected as a finalist for a manned mission to Mars. Screenshot/Mars One

Former Austinite could be one of the first people to live on Mars
CultureMap Austin - ‎Feb 17, 2015‎
Mars One, a privately funded organization based in the Netherlands, hopes to establish a permanent human colony on Mars within the next 10 years. And on Monday, the organization announced the 100 finalists for its first mission. Van Meter, an Austinite ...
http://austin.culturemap.com/news/innov ... n-mission/

Mission To Mars Gets Real For Former Austinite
KEYE TV - ‎Feb 16, 2015‎
As far as what's next in the selection process, Van Meter said she doesn't know. The Mars One mission is scheduled to depart in 2024. They'll start by sending four people, then adding four more people every two years. You can read more about the mission ...
http://www.keyetv.com/news/features/top ... 4181.shtml
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby JackRiddler » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:36 pm

Four people!

It's dumb as rocks.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby elfismiles » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:39 pm

'Mars One' finalist breaks silence, claims organization is a total scam
By Shawn Knight on March 16, 2015, 4:15 PM
http://www.techspot.com/news/60071-mars ... total.html
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby 82_28 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:53 pm

Nahhh. Nobody saw that one coming.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby PufPuf93 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:17 pm

I am about 260 pages into Red Mars, the 1st book of Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy\ and have Blue and Green Mars in wait.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_ ... ooks%2C418

In Red Mars 100 "carefully" selected scientists and engineers have a w\one way trip to colonize Mars. They are celebrities on Earth as they are a reality show; and so on as there are many pages to slog.
PufPuf93

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:04 pm

^^I just ordered the trilogy, first time I've had an interest in fiction for years. Thank you.

Mars One Finalist Explains Exactly How It‘s Ripping Off Supporters

No money, no process, no explanation: An insider speaks out on the hopelessly flawed scheme.

By Elmo Keep

When Joseph first signed up with Mars One — the media-hyped, one-way mission to colonize the red planet being floated by a Dutch non-profit — he didn’t think much of it. The former NASA researcher said he never really took the application seriously; he was just putting his hat in the ring mostly out of curiosity, and with the hope of bringing public attention to space science.

But eventually Joseph — who is actually Dr. Joseph Roche, an assistant professor at Trinity College’s School of Education in Dublin, with a Ph.D. in physics and astrophysics — found himself on the group’s shortlist of 100 candidates all willing to undertake the theoretical journey. And that’s when he started talking to me about the big problems he was seeing with Mars One.

It was difficult for him to break his silence, but he was spurred into speaking out by the uncritical news coverage. Many basic assumptions about the project remain unchallenged. Most egregiously, many media outlets continue to report that Mars One received applications from 200,000 people who would be happy to die on another planet — when the number it actually received was 2,761.

As Roche observed the process from an insider’s perspective, his concerns increased. Chief among them: that some leading contenders for the mission had bought their way into that position, and are being encouraged to “donate” any appearance fees back to Mars One — which seemed to him very strange for an outfit that needs billions of dollars to complete its objective.

“When you join the ‘Mars One Community,’ which happens automatically if you applied as a candidate, they start giving you points,” Roche explained to me in an email. “You get points for getting through each round of the selection process (but just an arbitrary number of points, not anything to do with ranking), and then the only way to get more points is to buy merchandise from Mars One or to donate money to them.

“Community members” can redeem points by purchasing merchandise like T-shirts, hoodies, and posters, as well as through gifts and donations: The group also solicits larger investment from its supporters. Others have been encouraged to help the group make financial gains on flurries of media interest. In February, finalists received a list of “tips and tricks” for dealing with press requests, which included this: “If you are offered payment for an interview then feel free to accept it. We do kindly ask for you to donate 75% of your profit to Mars One.”

The result, said Roche, is that high-profile prospects — including those in a list of “Top 10 hopefuls” published last month in The Guardian — are, in fact, simply the people who have generated the most money for Mars One. A spokeswoman confirmed by email that the positions were “based on the supporter points that our community can earn,” but said that “this number of points is unrelated to our selection process.”

As Roche also told me, that secretive selection process is hopelessly, and dangerously, flawed.

“I have not met anyone from Mars One in person,” he said. “Initially they’d said there were going to be regional interviews… we would travel there, we’d be interviewed, we’d be tested over several days, and in my mind that sounded at least like something that approached a legitimate astronaut selection process.

“But then they made us sign a non-disclosure agreement if we wanted to be interviewed, and then all of a sudden it changed from being a proper regional interview over several days to being a 10-minute Skype call.”

Mars One’s selection process to date has required candidates to complete a questionnaire, upload a video to the project’s website, and get a medical examination with each candidate’s local doctor (which they had to arrange themselves). Roche said he then had a short Skype conversation with Mars One’s chief medical officer, Norbert Kraft, during which he was quizzed with questions from literature about Mars and the mission that Mars One had provided to all the applicants. No rigorous psychological or psychometric testing was part of the appraisal. Candidates were given a month to rote-learn the material before the interview.

Mars One’s testing methods fall well short of NASA’s stringent astronaut corps requirements — not least in the case of anyone who would be training to be the mission commander, the individual who would actually pilot a theoretical craft to Mars. Commanders at NASA are required to have logged 1,000 jet aircraft flight hours to even be considered as training candidates for spaceflight.

It gets funnier, too: https://medium.com/matter/mars-one-insi ... fef95217d3
Wombaticus Rex

Postby 82_28 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:31 pm

You'll like the trilogy, Rex. Jesus has it been nearly 20 years since I read Red Mars?

Another realistic sci-fi book based around Mars is "Mars" by Ben Bova which I also inhaled again, 20 years ago. It's fucking amazing how time passes.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby PufPuf93 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:15 pm

82_28 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:31 pm wrote:You'll like the trilogy, Rex. Jesus has it been nearly 20 years since I read Red Mars?

Another realistic sci-fi book based around Mars is "Mars" by Ben Bova which I also inhaled again, 20 years ago. It's fucking amazing how time passes.

Had never read Kim Stanley Robinson until read the California Trilogy also this year.

Long ago in grade school read and reread Bradbury's Martian Chronicles.

A favorite PKD is Martian Timeslip. Wish I was born a Bleekmen.
PufPuf93

Postby mentalgongfu2 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:53 am

Story about one of the MarsOne contestants from This American Life. Episode from last September.

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/533/its-not-the-product-its-the-person?act=3#play
"When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media in order to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink!"
mentalgongfu2

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:27 pm

The previous two Medium exposes, courtesy of awesome Aussie Elmo Keep, have given me a lot to think about. I've been involved a few successful "product launches" that were built from the same DNA as Mars One, a substance which could charitably be called "horseshit." Horseshit works.

How and for whom that horseshit "works," of course, is the tricky part -- that's where engineering comes in.

A paranoid train of thought is offered up towards the conculusion of the second "Insider Speaks Out" piece:

“My nightmare about it is that people continue to support it and give it money and attention, and it then gets to the point where it inevitably falls on its face,” said Roche. If, as a result, “people lose faith in NASA and possibly even in scientists, then that’s the polar opposite of what I’m about. If I was somehow linked to something that could do damage to the public perception of science, that is my nightmare scenario.”

This could be an innoculation bid that works for the secret space program, by associating the very notion of humans leaving the branded & secured surface of this Earth with Reality TV hucksters -- a calculated failure whose real purpose is the public spectacle it provides.

I also consider this the least likely possibility, despite its dark allure, because human venality, stupidity and greed are just more prevalent than competent conspirators. (You can't argue with my numbers because I'm not sharing them.)

To me, the most poignant part of Interstellar wasn't any of the weepy emotional fodder Nolan weighed down Endurance with, but the moment towards the beginning when Cooper (aka Ruste Cohle) is having a parent teacher conference where he is informed that humans landing on the moon was a conspiracy theory.

Zardoz awaits.
Wombaticus Rex

Next

Return to General Discussion