Republican candidate for Missouri Gov "suicide"

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Republican candidate for Missouri Gov "suicide"

Postby Jerky » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:20 am

They're saying its cut and dried, but something stinks about this.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/ne ... 77212.html
Jerky

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Republican candidate for Missouri Gov "suicide"

Postby brainpanhandler » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:57 pm

This writer from the same paper seems to share your suspicions:
http://www.kansascity.com/opinion/opn-c ... 47333.html

Something definitely stinks about it. He even looks like Russo from House of Cards.

This man had secrets and apparently a conscience and almost certainly homicidal enemies:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Schweich

I think he meant it:
"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Martin Luther King Jr.
brainpanhandler

Postby Nordic » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:21 pm

I've mentioned it here before, but way back in the 80s I knew people who were directly involved in high level corruption in Missouri. It was pretty shocking.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby Searcher08 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:10 am

Intuition:
I would be dollars to donuts that the people he was running up against were part of the same 'loose federation' that whacked Catherine Austin Fitt's company Hamilton Securities which was looking at re-engineering place-based financial flows (using early mapping systems to look at how money flowe in and out of a district). She has done a great deal of audit - and a principled auditor can be a ferocious reality-seeking missile. When the auditors start turning into Patriots, like this guy was doing, that is very bad news for 'National Corruption Club'.
Chances of him doing this?
0%
Searcher08

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:30 pm

Missouri is nuts. I have done shitwork in IL politics in Springfield and Chicago, and surely the sprawl of that state's quid pro quo networks were unlike anything my hick ass had even suspected could exist. Still, my biggest takeaway? Was the fact that cynics / mentors I talked to would just go pale at the very mention of Missouri.

In particular, Schweich abhorred what he called “the Sinquefield machine.” He accused Rex Sinquefield, the retired investment banker from St. Louis, of undermining democracy in Missouri by giving candidates millions of dollars and bankrolling a vast political apparatus to impose his “free market” will on the state.

Schweich was right about all of that and he intended to make his case as he ran for the Republican nomination to be governor of Missouri.

But Schweich was a flawed messenger. He was volatile, prone to fits and outbursts. He took things too personally.

Which is an interesting observation, considering I'd previously heard of dude as one of Bushadmin's diplomatic appointees to the UN. That made an impression because dude started out doing a DOJ-level wash of Waco that still had some teeth, re: operational blunders. Digging up his file on the Jimmy Wales Project yielded some even odder credentials:

He was subsequently appointed Coordinator for Counternarcotics and Justice Reform in Afghanistan and was accorded the rank of Ambassador by President George W. Bush.

I wonder if that's a neoconservative hazing ritual? Taking an honest and religious politician on the rise, throwing them out of their depth into a horror film they've got no real capacity to act upon, and then bringing them back to DC for big dinners and pats on the back. "Yeah, it's like that all over the world, Paul...that's why we've gotta play hardball, you see that now, right?"

Anyway - the oddest yield was passing mention of a book he wrote, Staying Power. Tragically the subtitle is "30 Secrets Invincible Executives Use for Getting to the Top - and Staying There"

http://www.amazon.com/Staying-Power-Sec ... 0071395172

I ordered it, sounds like a Napoleon Hill Redux but there's always new and interesting people to read about, yeah?

You have the talent, and you have the ambition--but you lack a specific career plan to get you to the top. Believe it or not, you're right on track! "Do not map out your career" is the first of thirty surprising success secrets that you'll discover in Staying Power. In this completely practical, often startling guide to achieving true and lasting success, dozens of the world's most successful people reveal the personal and professional secrets that propelled them to the top. Then they show you how to apply these winning strategies and tactics to your own career.

You'll learn from fabulously successful executives such as Jim Parker, CEO of Southwest Airlines, and Bill Marriott, chairman and CEO of Marriott International; political leaders, including Richard Gephardt and Bob Dole; major figures in medicine and the military; Grammy- and Emmy-winning entertainers, and more. They will show you how to find your career path, make your way to the top, and stay there once you've arrived. You'll learn how to:

Discover your many talents and let go of your fantasies
Find a job that you look forward to every day
Harness your fear to sharpen your professional judgment
Develop professional charisma--yes, you can
Delve into specific problems in great depth without micromanaging
Master the art of risk analysis
Learn to use anger as a valuable tactic rather than an uncontrollable emotion
And much, much more

How many thousands of times have I written some variation on those opening lines now? Questions.

Via Barbara Shelly, about ten thousand more, and the core of the current consensus explanation:

The ad ridiculed Schweich’s appearance, called him a weak candidate and said he could “be manipulated,” a lie that was sure to get the auditor’s blood boiling.

That ad was produced for an audience of one — Tom Schweich. It was designed to provoke a blowup, although certainly not in the way events played out.

Before last week, Schweich seemed to be at the top of his game. But he left the Kansas City meeting distraught about the Missouri Republican Party’s selection of John Hancock as its chairman. Schweich believed Hancock was falsely telling people he was Jewish. Hancock has denied that.

Are there forensic specifics, at this point, which raise questions? (After 60 years of operational refinements, are firearm suicide frameups even noticeable anymore?)
Wombaticus Rex

Postby seemslikeadream » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:22 pm

Danforth's eulogy for Tom Schweich: 'Words do hurt. Words can kill.'
By John C. Danforth

Sen. John C. Danforth (Karen Elshout / Post-Dispatch)

Danforth, in eulogy, decries 'whispering campaign' against Schweich

Editorial: Remembering Tom Schweich, 1960-2015

(The following are remarks prepared for delivery by former U.S. Sen. John C. Danforth at the funeral Tuesday for state Auditor Thomas A. Schweich at The Church of St. Michael and St. George in Clayton. They have been lightly edited.)

Blessed are the poor in Spirit.

Blessed are those who mourn.

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness.

Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness sake.

Blessed are you when people revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you on my account. Amen.

Kathy, Emilie, Thomas. We who cared so much for your husband and your dad enfold you in our love, just as our Lord enfolds you and Tom in his love. We want you to know that we are with you to offer whatever strength and comfort we can.

Tom Schweich was an exceptionally able public servant. He graduated from Harvard Law School, and spent most of his career as a trial lawyer, meticulously marshaling facts and mastering the law in complex litigation involving government contracts.

When Attorney General (Janet) Reno appointed me special counsel to investigate the mass deaths at Waco, Texas, I knew that would be exhaustive work that had to be done with great care, and I enlisted Tom as my chief of staff. The investigation lasted 14 months, with scores of witnesses and a million pages of documents. Tom was highly organized, and on top of every detail of the investigation.

Again, he was my chief of staff at the United Nations. Few jobs are as demanding as dealing simultaneously with the State Department and the Secretariat of the U.N., and Tom was adept in managing both people and difficult situations.

Tom stayed at the U.N. in the same capacity with two of my successors, and then fearlessly led the State Department’s war against narcotics, traveling to the heart of danger, holding the rank of ambassador.
Half a dozen years ago, Tom told me he wanted to run for public office. His first thought was the U.S. Senate but he finally decided on state auditor. He was a person easily hurt and quickly offended, and I told him I didn’t think he had the temperament for elective politics, but Tom didn’t easily accept advice, and he was offended by mine. It was his decision, and he was my friend, and I was for him, whatever he chose to do.

He ran, won election, and became universally acknowledged as a great auditor, zealously uncovering corruption, attacking sloppiness whether of Democrats or Republicans, and praising good work where he saw it. He was so successful that he faced no serious opposition for his second term.

Tom was the model for what a public servant should be. He was exceptionally bright, energetic and well organized. He was highly ethical, and like the indignant prophets of Biblical times, he was passionate about his responsibility for righting wrongs.

We spoke often about the calling to public service, and what we said was always the same. The objective should be always to take the high ground and never give it up.
I last spoke with Tom this past Tuesday afternoon. He was indignant. He told me he was upset about two things, a radio commercial and a whispering campaign he said were being run against him. He said the commercial made fun of his physical appearance and wondered if he should respond with his own ad.

But while the commercial hurt his feelings, his great complaint was about a whispering campaign that he was Jewish. And that subject took up 90 percent of a long phone call. This was more than an expression of personal hurt as with the radio ad, this was righteous indignation against what he saw as a terrible wrong. And what he saw was wrong is anti-Semitism.

He said he must oppose this wrong, that he must confront it publicly by going before the media where he would present several witnesses. He said that they would verify that there were several times when the rumor had been spread.

Tom called this anti-Semitism, and of course it was. The only reason for going around saying that someone is Jewish is to make political profit from religious bigotry. Someone said this was no different than saying a person is a Presbyterian. Here’s how to test the credibility of that remark: When was the last time anyone sidled up to you and whispered into your ear that such and such a person is a Presbyterian?

Tom told me of his Jewish grandfather who taught him about anti-Semitism, and told him that anytime Tom saw it, he had to confront it. So Tom believed that that was exactly what he must do.

There was no hint by Tom that this was about him or his campaign. It was about confronting bigotry.
I told Tom that it is important to combat any whiff of anti-Semitism, but I said that he should not be the public face of doing that. I told him that if he were to go public, the story would be all about him, and not about the evil he wanted to fight. I said that I was concerned about his political future, that his focus should be on winning election as governor, and that the best approach would be to have someone feed the story to the press and let the press run with it.

Tom said that the press would only run with the story if he went public, and that if he didn’t make an issue out of anti-Semitism, no one would.

That was the phone call, except at the end he seemed angry with me.It’s impossible to know the thoughts of another person at such a dire time as suicide, but I can tell you what haunts me. I had always told him to take the high ground and never give it up, and he believed that, and it had become his life. Now I had advised him that to win election he should hope someone else would take up the cause.

He may have thought that I had abandoned him and left him on the high ground, all alone to fight the battle that had to be fought.

I think there are two messages in this, one for Tom’s children, the other for the rest of us.
Emilie and Thomas, always be proud of your father. He has left you a legacy, a tradition to take up in your own lives. You will have to be very brave to do this, as he was brave, and it will require energy and devotion to the task, as he was energetic and devoted to his task. The legacy your father has passed on to you is this: to fight for what is right; to always seize the high ground and never give it up.

The message for the rest of us reflects my own emotion after learning of Tom’s death, which has been overwhelming anger that politics has gone so hideously wrong, and that the death of Tom Schweich is the natural consequence of what politics has become. I believe deep in my heart that it’s now our duty, yours and mine, to turn politics into something much better than its now so miserable state.

Sure, politics has always been combative, but what we have just seen is combat of a very different order. It used to be that Labor Day of election years marked the beginning of campaigns.

This campaign for governor started two years in advance of the 2016 election. And even at this early date, what has been said is worse than anything in my memory, and that’s a long memory. I have never experienced an anti-Semitic campaign. Anti-Semitism is always wrong and we can never let it creep into politics.

As for the radio commercial, making fun of someone’s physical appearance, calling him a “little bug”, there is one word to describe it: “bullying.” And there is one word to describe the person behind it: “bully.”

We read stories about cyberbullying, and hear of young girls who killed themselves because of it. But what should we expect from children when grown ups are their examples of how bullies behave?

Since Thursday, some good people have said, “Well that’s just politics.” And Tom should have been less sensitive; he should have been tougher, and he should have been able to take it.

Well, that is accepting politics in its present state and that we cannot do. It amounts to blaming the victim, and it creates a new normal, where politics is only for the tough and the crude and the calloused.

Indeed, if this is what politics has become, what decent person would want to get into it? We should encourage normal people — yes, sensitive people — to seek public office, not drive them away.

There’s a principle of law called the thin skull rule. It says that if you hurt someone who is unusually susceptible to injury, you are liable even for the damages you didn’t anticipate. The person who caused the injury must pay, not the person with the thin skull. A good rule of law should be a good rule of politics. The bully should get the blame not the victim.

We often hear that words can’t hurt you. But that’s simply not true. In the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus said just the opposite. Words for Jesus could be the moral equivalent of murder. He said if we insult a brother or sister we will be liable. He said if we call someone a fool we will be liable to hell. Well how about anti-Semitic whispers? And how about a radio ad that calls someone a “little bug,” and that is run anonymously over and over again?

Words do hurt. Words can kill. That has been proven right here in our home state.
There is no mystery as to why politicians conduct themselves this way. It works. They test how well it works in focus groups and opinion polls. It wins elections, and that is their objective. It’s hard to call holding office public service, because the day after the election it’s off to the next election, and there’s no interlude for service. It’s all about winning, winning at any cost to the opponent or to any sense of common decency.

The campaign that led to the death of Tom Schweich was the low point of politics, and now it’s time to turn this around. So let’s make Tom’s death a turning point here in our state.

Let’s decide that what may have been clever politics last week will work no longer. It will backfire. It will lose elections, not win them.

Let’s pledge that we will not put up with any whisper of anti-Semitism. We will stand against it as Americans and because our own faith demands it. We will take the battle Tom wanted to fight as our own cause.

We will see bullies for who they are. We will no longer let them hide behind their anonymous pseudo-committees. We will not accept their way as the way of politics. We will stand up to them and we will defeat them.

This will be our memorial to Tom: that politics as it now exists must end, and we will end it. And we will get in the face of our politicians, and we will tell them that we are fed up, and that we are not going to take this anymore.

If Tom could speak to us, I think he would say about the same thing. To borrow a familiar phrase, he would approve this message. But Tom is at peace, and it’s for us to take up the cause.

May Tom’s soul and the souls of all the faithful departed rest in peace, and may light perpetual shine upon them. Amen.
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby Nordic » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:07 pm

So ... This was given at the man's funeral? And even as the body lay there, Danforth used the term "a little bug"? In front of the man's children?

"Gosh it's such a shame that people called your husband and your father "a little bug". It's even more disheartening how others suggested he should have been a little tougher about it. So sorry for your loss".

Classy.
Last edited by Nordic on Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nordic

Postby Searcher08 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:25 am

I had a really unpleasant thought last night.
If you have unlimited money and there is a guy running for office that needs to be eliminated, why not use mind control to get him to kill himself. If you have a very detailed psych profile, it should be possible to create a subliminal instruction to kill himself by embedding messages in his environment (a type of indirect suggestion that seems to sensitise the unconscious to act on more direct suggestions later) - this was done in one of Derren Brown's shows.

I think that campaign film against him would be worth unpicking... not to mention the people who make it / hired them.
Searcher08

Postby brainpanhandler » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:32 pm

Wombaticus Rex » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:30 pm wrote:
Are there forensic specifics, at this point, which raise questions?

Not that I can find. It's all about mean words can kill.

Don't find the suicide inducing SSRI angle very plausible at all, but at least this guy is asking questions:

Was Schweich Given An SSRI "Mickey" To Induce Suicide?
It's Highly Plausible: The Common Side Effect of SSRI Drugs Is Suicide
NewsFocus.org, Op-Ed by Tim Watts - 030615

The newest information in the death of Tom Schweich is undeniably a horse of a different color. This is now a whole different story with wholly new concerns to consider.

The first question out of the box would be, why was this information not presented eight days ago, in such a high-profile case?

The story reports that this critical new information was released on Thursday, as in March 5. That's exactly eight days later.

That's well over a week since this whole thing began, because Schweich died on February 26.

Wouldn't you think this information would have come forth sooner?

Think about that.

They've already buried the poor guy, and now suddenly this new blockbuster key information pops out two days after the funeral?

This was never reported in the Clayton police press conference.

Shouldn't this news have been reported on the very first day?

Even with the admission of this newest testimony, none of this story still makes any sense yet.

Keep in mind, the main story here has always been about a very strong, morally upright political figure, suddenly falling to pieces over innocuous rumors of him being Jewish.

A sudden suicide from a rational man who had just called a press conference is still very bizarre behavior, to say the very least.

It's not like he was accused of pedophilia or rape or murder.

That charge, for all intents and purposes, in the grand scheme of things, was more than likely meaningless, due to its baseless foundation and the contrast with Schweich's immense popularity and strong backing.

So even with this new information (eight days late) nothing adds up. None of this story makes any sense at all. Everything is totally out of character for Schweich's final demeanor, and that is the trail that needs to be investigated.

The next thing to question would be the "physical illness" that Schweich was feeling that night, along with the reported agitation.

Was it truly just normal anxiety, or is it possible that Schweich was slipped a "Mickey Finn," something to make him act irrationally?

There are many drugs that can induce irrational, neurotic behavior. How many drugs do we see advertised on nightly television that carry the risk of suicide?

The next thought would be... was he taking any prescription SSRI drugs, such as Prozac, Paxil, or Zoloft, etc?

Were any drugs found in Schweich's autopsy?

I have been perusing the news for eight days now, waiting for any word on that official autopsy, which was reportedly performed the very next day, Friday (Feb 27). To this date, nothing has been revealed to the press.

At this point of the story, that autopsy is really going to be key now.

Cont. @:

http://www.newsfocus.org/schweich.htm

Mar 5, 8:34 PM EST

Danforth aide says Missouri auditor shot himself after call

By DAVID A. LIEB
Associated Press

JEFERSON CITY, Mo. (AP) -- An aide to former U.S. Sen. John Danforth said Thursday that she was on the phone with Missouri Auditor Tom Schweich - discussing his angst over perceived rumors about his religion - just moments before he killed himself.

Danforth assistant Martha Fitz said in a written statement that Schweich threatened to kill himself during their conversation and then handed the phone to his wife, Kathy.

"Seconds later, I heard Kathy say, `He shot himself!'" Fitz said in the written statement.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/ ... TE=DEFAULT

Smells like low grade bullshit.

Are there any fucking investigative jounalists at all anymore?
"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Martin Luther King Jr.
brainpanhandler

Postby Nordic » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:29 pm

Smells like low grade bullshit.

Are there any fucking investigative jounalists at all anymore?

They tend to kill themselves also.
Nordic

Postby Twyla LaSarc » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:50 pm

SSRIs are just one possibility. He was likely under pressure and feeling anxious. Xanax is one scary mofo just in itself.
“The Radium Water Worked Fine until His Jaw Came Off”
Twyla LaSarc

Postby Nordic » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:22 pm

Twyla LaSarc » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:50 pm wrote:SSRIs are just one possibility. He was likely under pressure and feeling anxious. Xanax is one scary mofo just in itself.

All the benzos are nasty nasty drugs. I wish they could be eliminated from the pharmacological palette.
Nordic

Postby seemslikeadream » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:50 pm

After Missouri auditor kills himself, his spokesman is found dead

Spence Jackson, media director for the late Missouri Auditor Tom Schweich, was found dead of an apparently self-inflicted gunshot wound. (Kelley McCall / Associated Press)

By KURTIS LEE contact the reporter Accounting and Auditing John Hancock

Spokesman to late Missouri auditor kills himself a month after boss' death
In Missouri, suicide again strikes members of state Republican party
The media director for late Missouri Auditor Tom Schweich was found dead Sunday of an apparently self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Spence Jackson, 45, was found in his Jefferson City, Mo., apartment by police who were sent there after friends and family were unable to contact him. Evidence at the scene did not show any signs of forced entry or a struggle, Jefferson City police Capt. Doug Shoemaker said in a statement.

Police continue to investigate the case as a suicide, although further information is needed to eliminate other possible causes of death, Shoemaker said. An autopsy was planned for Monday.

Jackson's death came about a month after Schweich shot himself on Feb. 26 at his home in the St. Louis suburb of Clayton.

Schweich's suicide took place only moments after he had set up an interview with the Associated Press and the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, according to those news organizations.

At the time, the Post-Dispatch said Schweich had confided to Tony Messenger, the paper's editorial page editor, that he believed that John Hancock, the newly elected chairman of the Missouri Republican Party, was spreading false information that Schweich was Jewish. Hancock has denied the allegation.

Schweich's grandfather was Jewish, but the late auditor was a member of the Church of St. Michael & St. George, an Episcopal congregation in Clayton.

Schweich had announced plans to run for governor of Missouri in 2016. After the auditor's death, Jackson called for Hancock's resignation.

Police in Jefferson City and Clayton have been in contact as they investigate Jackson’s suicide, law enforcement officials said at a news conference Monday. Several items were removed from Jackson’s apartment, though law enforcement officials declined to elaborate.

On Monday, Hancock used Twitter to offer condolences in the wake of Jackson's death. "Tragic news this morning," Hancock wrote. "My heart goes out to Spence Jackson's friends and family. Very, very sad."

Former Missouri Gov. Matt Blunt, whom Jackson worked for at one time, issued a statement calling him a “gifted communicator.”

“Over his career he served as chief spokesman for three of Missouri's statewide offices including that of the governor when I held that post,” Blunt said. “Spence was hard-working, well-liked and quick-witted. He will truly be missed. We mourn his passing and offer our prayers to his family and friends.”
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby Nordic » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:17 pm

Holy shit.
Nordic