Global Warming = WAR = Right NOW

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Global Warming = WAR = Right NOW

Postby Mythic Time » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:24 pm

180985534-downtown-of-taftanaz-repeatedly-bombed-by-gettyimages.jpg
While a United States Senator was trolling the world holding a snowball that inexplicably and single-handedly refuted Global Warming, to the chuckles of millions of like-minded wingnuts, millions of people have already died, millions more have become Climate Refugees, and it's been happening not in a laboratory, but in real time in real life. Right NOW.

Climate Change a ‘Contributing Factor’ in Syrian Conflict

"Moist air comes flowing off the Mediterranean into Syria each winter, unleashing rains that transform the dull brown countryside into myriad hues of green. But in 2005, the rains never fully materialized, the first of five consecutive failed rainy seasons that sparked the worst drought in Syria’s history and directly preceded the country’s descent into civil war.

A groundbreaking study Link published on Monday in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Science shows that climate change doubled or even tripled the likelihood of the drought that became part of a cascade of events that have killed and displaced millions, gave rise to Islamic State and left a country in ruins.

PNAS Significance Statement:

There is evidence that the 2007−2010 drought contributed to the conflict in Syria. It was the worst drought in the instrumental record, causing widespread crop failure and a mass migration of farming families to urban centers. Century-long observed trends in precipitation, temperature, and sea-level pressure, supported by climate model results, strongly suggest that anthropogenic forcing has increased the probability of severe and persistent droughts in this region, and made the occurrence of a 3-year drought as severe as that of 2007−2010 2 to 3 times more likely than by natural variability alone. We conclude that human influences on the climate system are implicated in the current Syrian conflict.

3_1_15_BrianSyria-Timeline.png

“This is maybe the first example of connecting emerging climate change to a modern conflict. This is not an analysis of Mesoamerica or something historical. This is happening today,” said Colin Kelley, lead author of the new study and a PACE postdoctoral fellow at University of California, Santa Barbara.

The study builds on a growing body of literature that has linked climate events such as heat waves and drought to conflict. The findings also reflect the Pentagon’s view that climate change is a threat multiplier that poses “immediate risks.” But rather than focusing on past events, the findings are based squarely in the present."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The self is fundamentally an illusion arising as a reflection of the soul in matter, much as a clear lake at midnight reflects the moon."

Fred Alan Wolf
Mythic Time

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Global Warming = WAR = Right NOW

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:18 pm

Thanks for posting this, Mythic Time. Always important to remember the ways in which global warming is not just some future threat - it is real and it is happening now.
"Huey Long once said, “Fascism will come to America in the name of anti-fascism.” I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security."
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Blog: View Blog (37)

Postby Cosmic Cowbell » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:56 am

"There are no whole truths: all truths are half-truths. It is trying to treat them as whole truths that plays the devil." ~ A.N. Whitehead
Cosmic Cowbell

Here Comes the Climate War

Postby Luther Blissett » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:22 pm

https://www.adbusters.org/magazine/120/ ... e-war.html

I was recently assigned a story about the U.N. Climate summit in Paris this December. Admittedly, I hadn’t yet grasped the dire importance of this particular summit. Regardless, as a journalist it’s not my job to know the answers — it’s my job to find them, so I started digging. What I found was profoundly ominous and deeply unsettling. Like the canary in a coal mine, I was uncovering a glimpse of calamity. I’d previously been looking too close; I couldn’t see how climate issues would manifest socially and politically. When I stepped back the frightening pieces fell into place. This story was not about melting ice caps and clear-cut forests; it was about a global environmental collapse — the catalyst for a third world war.

We foolishly believe that the ramifications of our past will manifest in the lifetime of our grandchildren. This is overly optimistic, wishful thinking — they don’t have one, because this all happens in ours.

At the current rate of carbon emissions, we are set to reach a pace of global warming inside 20 years that locks us on an irreversible track, a global temperature rise of two degrees by mid-century. A two-degree rise in the global temperature sets off a biblical chain of events so cataclysmic we won’t even have hope. Mexico and South America essentially dry up and die. The Chihuahuan, Sonoran and Mojave deserts expand, rapidly rendering food production a fruitless endeavor for thousands of miles on either side of the equator.

Fleeing famine, drought and desperate for survival, roughly 300 million people migrate north to the United States — and that’s a conservative number. The U.S has two options: accept the tired, poor, hurdled masses with open arms and allow the population to double, or seal off the border, which is, less affectionately, the realistic option. The trouble is, in order to do that effectively the U.S. Border Service would have to be willing to use lethal force in preventing those attempting to cross illegally.

This means the U.S. Marine Corps, 20 per cent of which is, by this time, comprised of Latino Americans, firing on masses of distant relatives to keep them out of a country that is now one quarter Hispanic. The United States unravels into mutiny and Civil War.

This is not a concept that has been overlooked by the Pentagon. In November 2014, the US Department of Defense released the Climate Change Adaptation Roadmap, a chilling acknowledgement of things to come — a worst case scenario guide to reality. The statement describes climate change as a “threat multiplier” of national and global security. Plainly stating that “rising global temperatures, changing precipitation patterns, climbing sea levels and more extreme weather events will intensify the challenges of global instability, hunger, poverty and conflict. They will likely lead to food and water shortages, pandemic disease, disputes over refugees, resources and destruction by natural disasters in regions across the globe.”

A rise of just two degrees sets off a collapse of the international grain market as more and more land available for food production gets sucked into the global dust bowl. We’re familiar with this scenario. The worst drought in Syrian history, which scientists have now linked to human influenced climate change, preceded the 2011 uprising that propelled ISIS to the world stage. This is not a phenomenon, it’s not a coincidence nor a theory — it’s a fact.

An uninhabitable global south drives half the earth’s population into forced migration. Countries in the Northern Hemisphere, already exhausted by feeding their own populations on rapidly depleting resources are overwhelmed by millions of desperate climate refugees. Dozens of previously self-sustaining nations multiply into a hectic network of failed states and violent factions at war with themselves and each other. Those that somehow manage to keep their borders intact are not much better off; crucial to the survival of 1.2 billion people in India and a further 196 million in Pakistan, the sacred Ganges River (which is fed by swiftly deteriorating glaciers high in the Himalayas) shows signs of fatigue. Further exasperated by the collapse of the global wheat market and fearful of major water shortages, India begins damming the Ganges, securing resources for its own population but cutting off the vital waterway completely to downstream Pakistan. Faced with drought, famine and economic collapse, Pakistan and India, both of which have nuclear weapons and a bitter past, go to war.

The environmental state of the earth, now completely overlooked, crumbles. For better or worse, the ocean ingests a third of the Earth’s carbon emissions, which cause it to grow increasingly acidic. Like a tooth disintegrating in a can of coke, so too do the ocean’s crustaceans at the bottom of the food chain and when that bottom falls out, the entire marine eco-system fails. The planet’s oceans, which have been quietly saving us till now, give way to critical mass and turn on us, emitting generations of carbon into the atmosphere. Global warming now spirals wildly out of control, temperatures rapidly reaching six, seven, eight degrees and climbing. The Earth smolders and grows too harsh to sustain animal life, including us.

We tend to think, foolishly indeed, that world wars are only fought between political superpowers for global supremacy. This notion, like our atmosphere, is expiring. The next world war will be a desperate and hopeless one, a world at war with itself. World War III will be a climate war.

— Mike Hodder
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Postby Luther Blissett » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:42 pm

Can a moderator merge this thread with the one I just started on climate war?
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Postby General Patton » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:23 am

Does anyone here subscribe to the idea that humans can psychically change weather patterns leading to extremely harsh winters which will lead to the deaths of many migrants? Asking for a friend.
штрафбат вперед
General Patton

Postby zangtang » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:33 am

not sure if your angle here is brutal honesty, in which case i will concede i'd rather migrants die than me and mine..........

but yes, if you can deliver me 3 or 4 billion supplicants willing to wholeheartedly switch their allegiance from a vengeance whore psychotic absentee landlord to the Sun........
I believe we can swing it.

It'll cost you a million pounds, lets call 1.5, per day, in perpetuity....small price to pay, i reckon.

oh - and Scarlett Johannsen.
zangtang

Return to General Discussion