Thoughts on Cosby & The Nature Of Reality

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Thoughts on Cosby & The Nature Of Reality

Postby parel » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:51 pm

Janis Ian on Facebook:

Thank you all for the response to my "Cosby memory". Someone pointed out that by starting it with the New York Magazine link, people sharing it would only be able to share the link, not the text. So here it is again, with a different format.
The photos are of me, at 16, on the Smothers Brothers show. They're here so anyone sharing will be able to share the text as well. The link to the New Yorker piece is http://nymag.com/…/2…/07/bill-cosbys-accusers-speak-out.html. And here's my memory:

Do I have a stake in this issue? Yes. Of course. Outside of being female, outside of knowing women aren't "heard" as loudly as men are heard, outside of firmly believing that if women were treated equally around the world, many if not all of the world's problems would no longer exist - outside of all that... I have a personal stake.
No, I was not sexually bothered by Bill Cosby. We met because he was curious about me.
My song "Society's Child" was climbing the charts and creating a great deal of controversy. The Smothers Brothers took a huge gamble and had me on their hit television show. I was just sixteen years old when we taped it. I'd been on the road for months, doing press and one-nighters. My chaperone/tour manager, a family friend six or seven years older than me, was doing everything in her power to make sure I was protected and getting as much rest as possible.
Remember. I was sixteen. Still in high school. Fairly naive, including about my own sexuality. For months on the road, my chaperone was the only consistent face I saw. Everyone else was a complete stranger - radio personalities, newspaper reporters, magazine photographers, audiences, promoters, disc jockeys, all strangers. So I clung to my chaperone.
We'd never been to a big-time TV taping. We had no idea we'd have to be inside from early early morning until whenever they called for me. There were only a couple of chairs for us on the set - I was pretty low on the totem pole, way lower than Jimmy Durante or Pat Paulsen or Mason Williams (all of whom were wonderful to us). And I was exhausted. I'd been having nightmares for weeks, the result of the controversy surrounding "Society's Child" and the death threats I was receiving daily. I needed to sleep. So I fell asleep in my chaperone's lap. She was earth motherly, I was scared. It was good to rest.
We taped the show. I had a ball. (You can see it on Youtube, in fact. That's me, looking scared, in the green dress. My friend Buffy from East Orange, where I'd started high school, made it for me. I treasured it.) Then we went back to New York, and I went back to school.
A while later, my manager called me into her office. "What happened at the Smothers Brothers show?!" I had no idea what she was talking about, and said so. "Well, no one else on TV is willing to have you on. Not out there, anyway." Why? I wondered. And was told that Cosby, seeing me asleep in the chaperone's lap, had made it his business to "warn" other shows that I wasn't "suitable family entertainment", was probably a lesbian, and shouldn't be on television.
Again, a reminder. I was 16. I'd never slept with a man, I'd never slept with a woman. Hell, I barely been kissed, and that in the middle of the summer camp sports area, next to the ping pong table.
Banned from TV. Unbelievable. Bless Johnny Carson and his producer Freddy de Cordova, one of the nicest men I've ever worked with, because they didn't listen. Or maybe they didn't give a damn. I don't know. I do know that they broke the barrier Cosby tried to create.
There's a lot to bother a sensible person about this. The years these women were ignored. The years they were derided. That the story finally really "broke" because a male comedian named Hannibal Buress kept bringing it up, kept calling Cosby a "rapist". Not because woman after woman after woman went to the police, to the press, to anyone who'd listen, with horribly similar stories.
Let me be snarky for a moment. Interesting that there are so few women of color in the New Yorker photo. Interesting that the ones in the photo all appear to be light-skinned. Perhaps darker skinned women have not come forward yet? Perhaps they're among the other 12 women who've accused him but aren't pictured?
Or perhaps not. I have to wonder if this rapist has some issues with his own race.
Continuing the snarkiness, I find it horrifying that his wife is still insisting it was all consensual. That she sounds more upset by "the invasion of privacy" than the rapes.
People seem to be confused because she continues to stand by him. I have just two words for that - money, honey. According to the press, she's his manager, and has been for years. And his "business manager", eg the person who handles the money. So if there were pay-offs, she saw the checks. She is complicit.
If it was consensual, why pay anyone to be silent?
If it was consensual, why are there so many women who do not want money, who do not need fame, who are by turns ashamed, violated, exposed, vulnerable, and still continue to speak out?
Cosby was right in one thing. I am gay. Or bi, if you prefer, since I dearly loved the two men I lived with over the years. My tilt is toward women, though, and he was right about that.
But what an odd thing, that a black man who slept with so very many white women chose to take my possible lesbianism away from our one meeting, rather than the message I tried to get across with "Society's Child." How pathetic. How truly, truly pathetic.

ImageImage
parel

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:34 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Thanks for that. Here's the video she's referring to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yW_rYLoIR08
"Huey Long once said, “Fascism will come to America in the name of anti-fascism.” I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security."
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Blog: View Blog (37)

Jell-O-Ems

Postby IanEye » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:09 pm

IanEye

Blog: View Blog (29)

Postby 82_28 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:57 am

Don't blame me! I was at the store in the check out line and saw this on the Enquirer. Of course I didn't buy it as in purchase, however it was something I had never considered. Cosby had his son (Ennis) killed because he was planning to come forward or something and expose him.

Autumn Jackson made headlines in the 1990s when she was arrested for attempting to extort $40 million from Bill Cosby with threats of selling the story of his relationship with her mother to a tabloid. She was found guilty of threatening to injure another person’s reputation with the intent to extort money, traveling across state lines to promote extortion, and conspiring to commit extortion. Autumn Jackson was sentenced to 26 months in federal prison.

In the same year, Bill Cosby’s son Ennis Cosby was shot and killed by 18-year-old Mikhail Markhasev in what police believed to be a botched robbery attempt near Interstate 405 in Los Angeles. It was a $100,000 reward offered by The National Enquirer for information about the murder that led to a friend of Markhasev coming forward, and to Markhasev’s eventual arrest.

Mikhail Markhasev was convicted of first-degree murder and attempted robbery on July 7, 1998, and was sentenced to life in prison in August of 1998.

The National Enquirer cover features Markhasev’s mug shot photo with the words “Bill Hired This HITMAN To Carry Out Execution” pointing to it. Under that, the cover reads, “Secret Love Child: ‘HE SENT ASSASSIN AFTER ME TOO.'”

http://starcasm.net/archives/329843

I gotz no idea. All I did was see it and it makes as much of sense as any really.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby 82_28 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:12 am

Some near 20 year old perspective as how it was reported in 1997:

Bill Cosby's Son Is Slain Along Freeway
By B. DRUMMOND AYRES Jr.
Published: January 17, 1997

LOS ANGELES, Jan. 16— Ennis William Cosby, the only son of Bill Cosby, was shot to death early today on a Los Angeles freeway ramp in what the police said might have been a robbery attempt as he changed a flat tire.

He was one of five children of the most popular television father of the 1980's, a hugely popular entertainer and best-selling author whose rollicking comedic routines draw heavily on the frustrations of fatherhood.

Ennis Cosby, a graduate student at Columbia University, was in Los Angeles to visit friends. Another motorist discovered his body, police investigators said, next to his dark green Mercedes-Benz sports convertible on the side of the road, its emergency lights blinking and its tire-changing equipment out.

Mr. Cosby, 27, had been shot in the head and was sprawled on the ground in a pool of blood on the passenger side of the car, the door there ajar.

He was due back on Tuesday at Columbia, where he was working toward a doctorate in special education, after graduating from Morehouse College in Atlanta in 1992 despite dyslexia, and making plans to set up a school for youngsters with learning disabilities.

''He was my hero,'' his father, 59, said outside his Manhattan apartment after learning of his death.

The woman who found Ennis Cosby's body reported seeing a white male near the scene as she pulled her car to a stop behind Mr. Cosby's convertible, the police said.

''There is a female who saw at least a portion of this and we are interviewing her,'' Comdr. Tim McBride of the Los Angeles Police Department said in a news conference this morning at the crime scene, its periphery aswarm with reporters, camera teams and satellite trucks. ''It is her description that we have a male white suspect.''

Commander McBride added that although robbery might well have been the motive of the shooting, an initial inspection of the car and Mr. Cosby's body showed nothing missing. The police commander also said, but did not elaborate, that Mr. Cosby might have made a cellular phone call just before being shot and might have been followed by his killer.

''It is unknown whether he was followed at this time or not,'' he said. ''I think that's a good probability. But it may have been a chance opportunity that somebody took, robbery being a possible motive.''

Mr. Cosby was killed shortly before 2 A.M., the police said. He was driving on the city's western side, headed north on Interstate 405 through Sepulveda Pass, when the tire went flat.

Family friends said Mr. Cosby might have been going to visit one of his many friends in the San Fernando Valley. They described him as a down-to-earth young man, little affected by his father's fame, and they said that while visiting Los Angeles he liked to drop in on his friends for late-night talks.

Mr. Cosby's father and his mother, Camille live in Manhattan and were notified of their son's death in a call from Commander McBride. Having lost a 16-year-old daughter in a hit-and-run accident, the officer spoke with the couple for an additional 20 minutes about coping with the death of a child.

Bill Cosby, whose current hit television show is titled ''Cosby,'' then briefly spoke with reporters outside his apartment, calling Ennis ''my hero'' and then, his eyes puffy, his face drawn, returning inside.

Mr. Cosby's comedic stock in trade -- for eight years on ''The Cosby Show'' -- was on-screen interaction and antics between him and members of his television family, particularly the children. Much of that material, as well as his stand-up appearances and several books, was undoubtedly drawn from life with his five real-life children. Among his books that touch on child rearing are ''Fatherhood,'' ''Time Flies'' and ''Childhood.''

Later today he and Mrs. Cosby issued this brief statement through his office: ''We have every confidence in the Los Angeles Police Department. Our hearts go out to each and everybody who has suffered a loss like this. This is a life experience that is truly difficult to share.''

In his book ''Fatherhood,'' Mr. Cosby described the difficulties his son experienced as a student: ''Whenever you asked him how he was doing in school, he always said, with simple eloquence, 'No problem.'

''And, of course, his answer made sense: there was no problem, no confusion about how he was doing. He had failed everything; and what he hadn't failed, he hadn't taken yet.'' --------------------

CNN Apology on Pictures

(The Associated Press) -- CNN apologized yesterday for broadcasting filmed images of Ennis Cosby lying in a pool of blood.

The film, taken from a helicopter by KTLA-TV, showed a Mercedes, its emergency lights still blinking, by the side of the freeway. The camera then moved in to a close-up of Mr. Cosby's body.

After the film was broadcast at 2:02 P.M., there was an ''immediate negative reaction'' from the CNN staff in the Atlanta newsroom and hundreds of calls of protests from the public, said Steve Haworth, a network spokesman.

When the CNN anchor Bobbie Battista came on the air from a commercial break at 2:28 P.M., she said: ''There was some tape that aired that showed a closeup of Ennis Cosby, and it was inappropriate to air that. We apologize for that, and to his family as well.''

KTLA did not broadcast the film because it has a policy against showing graphic scenes, said Fernando Lopez, the news operations manager.

Photos: The Los Angeles police removed the body of Ennis Cosby, son of the comedian Bill Cosby, yesterday after he was found shot to death next to his car. ''He was my hero,'' Mr. Cosby said of his son, a dyslexic who was working toward a doctorate in special education at Columbia University. (Associated Press); Ennis William Cosby in a 1987 photo from his school yearbook.

http://www.nytimes.com/1997/01/17/us/bi ... eeway.html
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby backtoiam » Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:31 am

The jello man may have done what they said he did. I don't know. Regardless that sort of behavior happens on a regular basis in the Hollywood weird scene so its not a an unheard of event.

I always wondered what he did to cause the mainstream media to include him into the destruction mill and cover it on air like they did. He was a mini empire in his own right. They usually don't eat their own in public like that unless something is going on.

The media machine could have ignored it more than it did. But it didn't. I always wondered why.
"A mind stretched by a new idea can never return to it's original dimensions." Oliver Wendell Holmes
backtoiam

Postby Grizzly » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:28 pm

I couldn't imagine the pain of seeing my son, like this...

Am I the only one who has seen "the wedge issues" brought out of the storage and injected with steroids, on race, sex, religion, etc, since the political season has arrived? Like putting out valentines day, swag in December/January. Seems like someone is trying and succeeding to a large degree to ramp up the tension.
“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Previous

Return to General Discussion