The Force Awakens

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: The Force Awakens

Postby Occult Means Hidden » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:00 am

82, total missed opp, Starkiller base should have remained as a threat looming over the next 2 movies. It's destruction was anticlimactic, total missed opportunity.
Rage against the ever vicious downward spiral.
Time to get back to basics. [url=http://zmag.org/zmi/readlabor.htm]Worker Control of Industry![/url]
Occult Means Hidden

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Rory » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:08 am

That was a steaming heap of shite. At least the general precis behind Phantom Menace was good. Fucking hell. Worst movie in the 7 so far. I laughed through most of the movie - risible nonsense. Emo Darth Vader is the worst character - worse than Jar Jar Binks. Fucking turd. I hope Abrams self immolates in penance
Rory

Postby 82_28 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:59 am

Nah. It was good. I looked at it as a good way to relaunch the original story that began in 1977 for those who missed it. I can see where people can say it was a piece of shit and don't disagree and won't argue, but think it was surprisingly better than I thought it would be. But I'm a homer when it comes to Star Wars. Like Nordic and I commented about upthread, it's all in the score by John Williams. Put it to a heavy metal or hip hop soundtrack and yes it would totally suck.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby Iamwhomiam » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:40 pm

Well, the droid was lovable.

And the choice of Skellig Michael for the site of the first Jedi temple was brilliant.

Iamwhomiam

Postby Belligerent Savant » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:22 pm

Eh. I can relate with Rory's response above. There were a few scenes that drew in feelings of nostalgia by longtime fans, and yes: the music score certainly helps add 'weight/gravitas', both for fans of the films and for newcomers alike.

But I walked away disappointed, and unfulfilled (relatively speaking: I've long ago stripped away any expectation of true quality/emotional lift from an f'ing mainstream Hollywood movie, so it's not like I harbored 'a new hope' for this movie. Still, I expected better than this final result).

It was quite formulaic and gave every impression that it was crafted for MASS DISTRIBUTION/ABSORPTION rather than a true interest in continuing the "Star Wars" story in a genuine way. Though again, it'd be a bit naive to have expected otherwise.

Take away the name "Star Wars" (and associated characters) from this flick and it barely registers a blip above mediocre.
Belligerent Savant

Postby brekin » Wed May 03, 2017 5:09 pm

So, late to the party with these but the Auralnauts have basically done what late career Lucas and Abrams couldn't: Make me laugh and enjoy watching star wars again.

Auralnauts are Craven Moorhaus and Zak Koonce. We do a lot of things here. We change the dialogue in movies to turn them into comedies. We change dialogue in commercials to turn them into dark glimpses into dystopian futures. We count how many people were murdered by popular movie stars. We write music. We basically do whatever we want and hope you enjoy it, because thinking too hard about what people want tends to ruin the creative process.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Auralnauts/videos

A taste:
Star Storm: The Destruction of Father - TRAILER

I've watched episodes 1-4 and they all have their moments and some are great front to back.
STAR WARS EP 1: Jedi Party
If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
I hang onto my prejudices, they are the testicles of my mind. Eric Hoffer
brekin

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Iamwhomiam » Thu May 04, 2017 4:00 pm

http://rigorousintuition.ca/board2/viewtopic.php?p=594836#p594836

At the time I submitted that comment, I had been under the impression I had missed only one of the SW movies, but in truth, then I had only seen the most recent and the first and none in between!

Soon after making my comment, I went to see which I had missed and was surprised to learn how many it was.
Iamwhomiam

Postby brekin » Thu May 04, 2017 5:53 pm

Iamwhomiam wrote:http://rigorousintuition.ca/board2/viewtopic.php?p=594836#p594836
At the time I submitted that comment, I had been under the impression I had missed only one of the SW movies, but in truth, then I had only seen the most recent and the first and none in between!
Soon after making my comment, I went to see which I had missed and was surprised to learn how many it was.

Don't worry, many of those who saw all the movies missed them to.

Also of note on this official Star Wars Day is that the Empire seems to be winning.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_Day
If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
I hang onto my prejudices, they are the testicles of my mind. Eric Hoffer
brekin

Blog: View Blog (1)

Previous

Return to General Discussion