The Force Awakens

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

The Force Awakens

Postby 82_28 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:17 am

I was just going to get this out of the way since it is bound to come up.

Star Wars is being rebooted as we all know and is due out at Christmas. I watched the trailer about seven times in a row and then a friend sent me a link to this:

While funny, it was basically my reaction. I did cry! Theories abound. Slog through the comments here if you wanna see the going theories:

http://observationdeck.io9.com/whats-th ... +cherylvis

I kinda like the story arc (theory) of the Rebellion becoming the bad guys as their power corrupted them after RoTJ. One thing is for sure, it will be the highest grossing film of all time. Also I think the brilliance of any Star Wars movie begins and ends with John Williams' score.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: The Force Awakens

Postby jingofever » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:08 am

I don't like anything JJ Abrams has done, but his movies do at least look good. Except in the new trailer when the Millennium Falcon is flying into the engine of a crashed Star Destroyer there is a zoom which I really dislike. There is a zoom in the orgy scene of Eyes Wide Shut which I also hate. Kubrick used zoom in other movies but never so poorly. The Star Wars zoom is some kind of "reality" zoom, as if some putz is sitting there in the Star Wars universe with his handycam. I can't stand that.

As far as the money, looking at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_hi ... sing_films, the first Star Wars on the list is Phantom Menace at #16, Revenge of the Sith is #40. James Cameron is at numbers one and two. But if you adjust for ticket price inflation, http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/ad ... 010&p=.htm, Star Wars films perform better. What it might come down to is, do the Chinese like Star Wars?
jingofever

Postby 82_28 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:19 am

Well one way or the other we all know we will be going along for the ride. At least for this 40 year old, it is the only movie I've looked forward to since Phantom Menace. The Star Wars franchise is really strange. I used to make models of ships, listen religiously to the soundtracks, read all the "out of canon" books. When I was a kid I started a "Jedi Club" fully convinced that we could create the ships and shit. Then, in my late teens! I even created a fucking Star Wars study group.

Who the fuck knows? I'm stuck in this for life.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby conniption » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:29 am

82_28 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:19 am wrote:... I'm stuck in this for life.

Oh dear...

may the force be with you then, I guess...
conniption

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:39 am

That "reaction" stuff is footage from Interstellar.

Said the grumpy guy who ruins everything. But c'mon.
Wombaticus Rex

Postby vince » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:35 am

jingofever » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:08 am wrote:I don't like anything JJ Abrams has done, but his movies do at least look good. Except in the new trailer when the Millennium Falcon is flying into the engine of a crashed Star Destroyer there is a zoom which I really dislike. There is a zoom in the orgy scene of Eyes Wide Shut which I also hate. Kubrick used zoom in other movies but never so poorly. The Star Wars zoom is some kind of "reality" zoom, as if some putz is sitting there in the Star Wars universe with his handycam. I can't stand that.

You know, we could do a whole thread on the psychological effect of the the 'hand-held' look most movies in our modern age have.
From what you mention (which I also recall seeing in "WALL-E"), to just the slightest 'shake' used in a large majority of films these days.
It's something.... I just don't know what....
vince

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby 82_28 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:57 am

Oh I know that that was a mashup between Interstellar and the trailer. I just thought it was more entertaining to embed. Whatever. Can't wait though.

Also, wasn't it NYPD Blue that began the "shaky cam" thing? I remember some sort of controversy about it. I could be and probably am wrong. I have no doubt that Nordic might know something about this. :dueling:
82_28

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:01 am

82_28 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:57 am wrote:Oh I know that that was a mashup between Interstellar and the trailer. I just thought it was more entertaining to embed. Whatever.

Okay, just making sure. You're more aware than most people who passed me that so far.
Wombaticus Rex

Postby 82_28 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:26 am

A lot of people think that's the actual trailer? I suppose it is, because it includes it, just the reaction was sorta kinda the story. Apparently there were a lot of people who teared up seeing it. I, for one, did. Apparently it was a common reaction.
82_28

Postby 82_28 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:19 pm

The Star Wars Teaser Trailer Has Added $2 Billion to Disney's Value

The new Star Wars teaser trailer is so awesome, it’s already given Disney’s stock a $2 billion boost, indicating the excitement among investors (nerds) over the upcoming movie.

And this is just the beginning. Analysts are already saying we could witness a repeat of A New Hope’s 1977 box-office-obliterating success when Star Wars: The Force Awakens is released in December. According to CBS Money Watch:

The first installment of George Lucas’ galactic soap opera has grossed more than $1.1 billion in inflation-adjusted terms, according to Box Office Mojo. Analysts expect history to repeat itself when the latest installment in the franchise, “Star Wars: Episode VII — The Force Awakens,” is released in December.

Keith Simanton, the managing editor of IMDB.com, expects the film to gross $225 million during its opening weekend, breaking a record held since 2012 by “Marvel’s the Avengers.” He estimates it will earn $1.8 billion altogether, the biggest total in history behind “Avatar” and “Titanic.” Ray Subers at BoxOfficeMojo isn’t quite as bullish, expecting a $125 million to $150 million opening weekend and a total gross of $1.2 billion to $1.4 billion.

“I haven’t heard the buzz that I have heard for “The Force Awakens” for a very long time,” Simanton said in an interview.

That’s all well and good for Disney—now let’s just hope they deliver the earth-shattering movie we’re all so hype about! Anyway, just writing about that damn trailer has got me so excited that I have to go watch it again right now.

http://factually.gizmodo.com/the-star-w ... +cherylvis
82_28

Postby Elvis » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:35 pm

Hate to be a wet blanket, but I can't get excited about this. I loved the first Star Wars, and the second one was great, the third sagged a bit. I haven't seen any of the subsequent three, I don't want that horse in my head. Did Lucas even write this new one? "Who's directing?" I don't seem to care. Pity, that. The first one had a marvelous vigor and freshness. And let's not forget, this is Disney. Could be interesting.
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby 82_28 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:58 pm

Well, Elvis. If we all do what we did last Christmas, you bet your ass you're gonna plopping your butt down next to me at Cinerama! :clown
82_28

Postby Nordic » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:01 pm

Man, talk about emotional attachments. This trailer is nothing but a bunch of special effects shots of spaceships flying around. No story nothin'. But the music! I would posit that any emotional reaction this is conjuring up is 99.9% from the music.

Call me a curmudgeon but I don't get the reaction.

And I'm not remotely a JJ Abrams fan either.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby Elvis » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:31 pm

Nordic » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:01 pm wrote:Man, talk about emotional attachments. This trailer is nothing but a bunch of special effects shots of spaceships flying around. No story nothin'. But the music! I would posit that any emotional reaction this is conjuring up is 99.9% from the music.

I just saw this a few weeks ago:

Star Wars Throne Scene With No Music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5z2ECXo33s

Walking out of the theater with me in 1977, a friend said, "Man, that music at the end was just so inspiring!"

82_28 wrote:Well, Elvis. If we all do what we did last Christmas, you bet your ass you're gonna plopping your butt down next to me at Cinerama! :clown

I'll be there. :thumbsup
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby 82_28 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:15 pm

I remember it the multiple times I saw all movies that everyone in the theater stuck around for the credits. They just had to hear that music. Nobody ever left until the very end. I've been whistling Star Wars music everywhere I go the past few days.
82_28

Next

Return to General Discussion